Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match thread: Milton Keynes v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 17th August, 2021

Comments

• Options
    Morgan with the chicken with no head syndrome.....he is not good enough....and we cant afford to wait for JFC to be back in 6 months. Adkins WTF 2-1 down and you bring on Watson !!!!
  • Options
    Adkins has certainly been left high and dry over by a lacklustre transfer window.

But when Rod gives you lemons... you gotta make lemonade baby.

Given the personnel at his disposal Adkins needs to be a bit more creative/flexible with his tactics.

Hopefully something clicks during this morning's walk.
  • Options
    From past achievements I think it would be remiss to doubt the football knowledge of SG or NA. The frailty of our squad is evident and they will know that more than most.  

For me now, all eyes should be on TS.  Yes he saved the club as he promised he would, but he also promised to build a club that would be gunning for promotion from the off. The second part of the equation is yet to materialise, and to be frank it seems we have reason to doubt it will - at least any time soon.

The tone of NA changed a week before the season started when he stated at length there would be no quick fix, we are concentrating on stability and putting the right things in place etc etc etc.  These kind of platitudes will raise doubts in any seasoned football fan, who will have heard them all before.

We now look towards TS for leadership and direction money to bring in quality players.  My fear is this could be the crux of the problem.  Thomas maybe rich, but is he rich enough? 

• Options
    1968CAFC said:
    8 points behind the pack after only three games 
    wake up a smell the Roses Adkins 👎👎

Just my opinion but I feel sorry for Adkins. Can hardly expect him to work miracles with the mediocrity he’s been given to work with. I can’t think of any manager that could do better with a substandard first eleven and a bench made up of raw kids.
    There’s no excuse for playing long ball football. 
  • Options
    The sun is shining the birds are singing Charlton are losing make someone smile today bring back curbs 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2021
    I wish Minto had asked Adkins about the lack of signings. Charlton TV is great but that was an obvious thing to ask after a performance like that, that showed how desperate we are for new recruits. 
  • Options
    Definitely worse than last season and our defence which is supposed to be our strength has gone AWOL. 

If we get any injuries then what happens?

Need a win on Saturday - Wigan will be tough.
  • Options
    There’s optimistic and theirs delusional. I’ve felt it in most interviews I’ve heard from Adkins, to be honest, but onight he really has chatted a load of absolute bollocks. To call the first 20 minutes exceptional is mental.  Quite good perhaps, but exceptional?!? The pick of the bunch might be describing Washington’s shot as going “just wide” when it was about 8 yards off target.

Then that guff about MK playing a good formation. If Robinson had come out with something like that while here he’d have been crucified on here.

Oh, and his constant of use “I’d like to think” and “from my perspective” winds me up too. 
    The problem with Adkins, if it is a problem, is that he tries to be positive. He deliberately uses positive words whenever he can. I can't believe that he isn't aware of the issues and it is probably right not to knock the side when you believe they are doing their best. Some sides you feel are not trying but I don't get that with us.

I am going to break my own vow now, it is hard to keep it up, but when you take the goals out of the team that we have, you have to find a way of putting at least some of them back in. Adkins will know that and for some reason, to date, he hasn't been able to although Kirk is a step in the right direction. Goals are expensive sadly. What I am less interested in is hearing Adkins because his interviews don't tell us anything and indeed what he might really be thinking. 

When we were having the conversation about season tickets some time ago, I said I was looking for certain things before I purchased mine. In the beginning, it was keeping hold of Aneke which didn't happen. Fair enough, then it became who we brought in.  I was worried as I believed Aneke was worth pushing the boat out a bit for, but we didn't know all the details. I wasn't happy with Shinnie going as I really rated him, but again I could see Adkins didn't and if he was replaced by what Adkins wanted fair enough.

So I saw a lot of goals leave the team through injury and loss and not a lot come back in. Whatever level you play, you need goals in the side. If you take, say Clare out and put him in a pub league, he will probably get goals. But at this level he doesn't. To date Morgan in 60 appearances hasn't shown he can. Dobson is not in the side to score goals. When you take goal options out you make it easier for opponents as they have less to address to stop you. You make it harder for those in your side that can score goals. To have a midfield with no goals in it is suicide.

You can't always do much about it, but I developed a saying, especially when I managed which I would use when fielded questions like why is he playing and not so and so. 'Never take goals out of the team' which includes creation of chances as well of course. It is a rule as valid as any mathematical rule and applies as much down Hackney Marshes as League One and International football.
  • Options
    There’s optimistic and theirs delusional. I’ve felt it in most interviews I’ve heard from Adkins, to be honest, but onight he really has chatted a load of absolute bollocks. To call the first 20 minutes exceptional is mental.  Quite good perhaps, but exceptional?!? The pick of the bunch might be describing Washington’s shot as going “just wide” when it was about 8 yards off target.

Then that guff about MK playing a good formation. If Robinson had come out with something like that while here he’d have been crucified on here.

Oh, and his constant of use “I’d like to think” and “from my perspective” winds me up too. 
    His constant use of the present simple tense after the fricking game grips my shit as well.
  • Options
    Hopefully it’s not only the fans that can see what a shower of shite this team is, maybe someone will highlight that this is the lowest league position of the clubs history.Our midfield is not good enough and gets overrun every game. Stockley needs help up front there is no point having a target man who cannot flick it on to, has to come deep to receive the ball and has to be in the box where he is dangerous. Adkins can’t even change a game as there is no one on the bench, last season we had three or four options no we have nothing.
  • Options
    Being positive is one thing, sometimes you have to fire a few fcuks into them.
  • Options
    The bench needs to be made up from players starting at the moment.
    Spot on. They’re not bad players. Clare and Dobson for example could become great. But we need top level League 1 players in the starting 11. And that shows you the scale of the recruitment needed. And we have two weeks. 
  • Options
    We need some quality loans. Parrott would have been a good one.
  • Options
    Biggest problem for me is there doesn't seem to be any leaders on the pitch to get us going again if we conceded. I'd look at that team and say maybe Stockley and Innis? We just look weak and got bullied last night
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good first 15 and that's about it. 
  • Options
    I suppose I have to accept it as TS puts himself out there on Twitter, but some of the responses to his tweets by our fans are very cringe 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Morgan with the chicken with no head syndrome.....he is not good enough....and we cant afford to wait for JFC to be back in 6 months. Adkins WTF 2-1 down and you bring on Watson !!!!
    I've no idea why you wouldn't bring on Davison and go 442.

Unless Dobson had a knock, then it's just mind boggling you'd make a like for like defensive midfield sub when chasing a game.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Same reason as the Oxford game presumably Adkins felt he wanted Watson to get on the ball and create something. The Davison sub on Saturday was for a non performing DJ. The lack of change in formation is the big question mark for me over Adkins in game management notwithstanding his lack of options from the bench.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    I've no idea why you wouldn't bring on Davison and go 442.

Unless Dobson had a knock, then it's just mind boggling you'd make a like for like defensive midfield sub when chasing a game.
    Perhaps because Davison is toothless and mediocre
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Not good so far, but some need to calm down a bit..
    In defence we have had 3 very tough games to start the season. Fixture list hasn’t been kind but we have had since May 3rd or so to plan for the new season. I think we are just to predictable and any team with a bit more quality and overrun very easily 
  • Options
    Worst league 1 performance since Swindon 3-0 when Slade got sacked?
    Dunno that 3-0 defeat against Blackpool last season was pretty dire @ the Valley
    Home record was so poor for all of last season.
    1. Window hasn't closed yet,( disappointing we haven't got more quality loans as other clubs have done it).
    2.43 games to go (129 points)
    3.We got 15-20mins tactically correct, DJ looked good for 45mins,
    Negatives
    1.We gave them goals and other opportunities
    2.Game got worse and we never looked capable of coming back.