Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match thread: Milton Keynes v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 17th August, 2021

Comments

• Options
    Not sure why we’re worried. I mean, look at Blackpool last season, started shit and stormed the play offs. Just got to have a bit of faith............
    But were the players who stormed the play-offs brought in during the end of August?

The problem we now face is convincing players to join this team and asking higher placed clubs to loan us their promisingly youngsters.
  • Options

We were good value for the lead after 15 mins, but after that…. absolute toilet.

In 2019 we’d often start a bit slower but then suss out the pattern of the game and get more and more on top as the game went on. Well… for well over 18 months now, teams are doing that to us and we never seem capable of adjusting to get control back. Results just happen to us. 

Midfield is nowhere near it. Albie had one great assist but again faded and then made some moronic decisions, particularly the brain dead foul (which he did one of earlier but higher up the pitch) which led to their second goal (although like Saturday he was hardly solely responsible following really poor defending to allow the goal). 

Clare…. Where more like. Dobson, a trier but limited. 

DJ a threat but the only one. Stockley trying but being asked too much of. 

Defence is all over the shop too. Innis unfit and getting dragged out of position. Gunter, out of position or not, is shit at everything - for someone so experienced his positioning is terrible, he’s slow, his passing is poor, the list goes on. Famewo looks good but can’t do everything. Matthews is okay but we’ll never dominate attackingly with such defensive minded fullbacks, they hardly overlap at all. Karl Robinson made an assute point about Kirk that he had good attacking fullbacks to play with at Crewe, he simply does not have that here and it’ll hinder him in my opinion, just like it hinders DJ on the other side. 

And MacGillivray… not impressed at all and has done nothing to change my mind that a the popular opinion that Amos wasn’t that good was well wide of the mark. 

Spot on comments,the goalkeeper looks Like a statue and why send Maynard-Brewer on loan without getting a back up first.The full backs never get forward and the midfield is pedestrian,whyget rid of Shinnie  and replace them with these no hopers, very baffling .
  • Options
    Couldn't agree more about the keeper, just does not inspire confidence at all, though what he currently has in front of him hardly helps.
    I actually feel sorry for Gunter in a footballing sense alone as he is plugging a gap he really shouldn't be and should have been addressed the moment Purrington was injured. All nepotism aside, Roddy looked out of his depth at Welling. 
    Which in turn means that if something happens to Matthews we've really got a problem, never mind the Innis issue, as whilst Deji could be the next Gomez or Konsa, the numbers reduce further. 
    The midfield is jocular as although 3 are nominally playing there, no one knows quite where they should be, so even though we have square pegs, they're not even sure which round hole to fill. Watson - have taken legal advice. 
    Up top, well it doesn't take me to explain the issue there, just wonder had Washington not injured then maybe we'd have switched formation. 
    Somehow I think not. Curbs himself said he wouldn't get another job now as he's been away too long and although new manager bounce and all that does not always prove to be a long term solution, franchise did seem more cohesive and a unit, whilst we looked a bit 9 to 5 and going through the motions and at times laborious. 
    It's only 3 games, but having seen all since Celtic, be it live or virtually, we seem to have regressed, the body language collectively on the bench seems wrong and some of the younger lads that did impress early on have vanished. 
    Not panicking but a bit concerned. 

Still trying to spell his name...
  • Options
    0%       Top 2
    30%       Play offs
    60%        7th-12th
    9.9%        13th-20th
    0.1%       Relegation

100%     Fcuked off with our shitness in the third poxy tier , shambles
  • Options
    I have no knowledge what is actually happening with our recruitment,but it seems to me that ever since Roddy turned up,things have not gone as smoothly as before,could it be that there are now so many different opinions on players that they just fail to agree and lose out.It Used to be just Gallen and the manager(poss assist)now Roddy will be involved,making 3-4 
    person agreements required,also TS will  be involved as he has the purse strings.I just ask myself,we were linked with Parrot,why would he go to MKD(no disrespect)and not us,he is clearly a good player who we could have done with.I will defend the Watson substitution,none of our midfielders were capable of playing accurate passes to the front men,Ben albeit in slow motion,can pass a ball and it was worth a go,nothing lost.
  • Options
    I have no knowledge what is actually happening with our recruitment,but it seems to me that ever since Roddy turned up,things have not gone as smoothly as before,could it be that there are now so many different opinions on players that they just fail to agree and lose out.It Used to be just Gallen and the manager(poss assist)now Roddy will be involved,making 3-4 
    person agreements required,also TS will  be involved as he has the purse strings.I just ask myself,we were linked with Parrot,why would he go to MKD(no disrespect)and not us,he is clearly a good player who we could have done with.I will defend the Watson substitution,none of our midfielders were capable of playing accurate passes to the front men,Ben albeit in slow motion,can pass a ball and it was worth a go,nothing lost.
    Apart from the game?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Apart from the game?
    That was lost before Watson came on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2021
    JamesSeed said:
    Apart from the game?
    Not sure about that, there was 20mins with stoppage time to salvage something. Another forward Clayden or Davison, would have meant a gung ho approach with only two CMs remaining but worth a gamble instead of going out with a whimper.
  • Options
    What I would say in terms of MacGillivray is that he did get POTY with Pompey so we can take it he is better than we have seen so far. I think we can take that to the bank. He will have different strengths and weaknesses, and may not be as good as Amos overall but he can't be our biggest problem over the season.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure Watson, Gunter, Gilbey were all fans favourite as we're so many other players that we've brought in, but if they aren't a fans favourite with us, that all I really care about. 

I mean, if I met a girl with 'a reputation' so to speak and took her home and she was  'conservative', there's a strong chance I might think twice about settling down with her!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Apart from the game?
    You’re probably right. And there’s no Aneke on the bench. 😞
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure Watson, Gunter, Gilbey were all fans favourite as we're so many other players that we've brought in, but if they aren't a fans favourite with us, that all I really care about. 

I mean, if I met a girl with 'a reputation' so to speak and took her home and she was  'conservative', there's a strong chance I might think twice about settling down with her!
    What if she voted Labour 😁
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Apart from the game?
    Not sure about that, there was 20mins with stoppage time to salvage something. Another forward Clayden or Davison, would have meant a gung ho approach with only two CMs remaining but worth a gamble instead of going out with a whimper.
    this .. to me it showed that Adkins for all his 'success' at other clubs is well past his managerial best .. sending on Watson instead of Davison or Clayden was the decision of a flustered man who has lost the plot and is not making the best of the admittedly understrength squad at his disposal .. he needs to be (say it politely) replaced with John Jackson a s a p .. be off with you Nigel  >:)
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Apart from the game?
    this .. to me it showed that Adkins for all his 'success' at other clubs is well past his managerial best .. sending on Watson instead of Davison or Clayden was the decision of a flustered man who has lost the plot and is not making the best of the admittedly understrength squad at his disposal .. he needs to be (say it politely) replaced with John Jackson a s a p .. be off with you Nigel  >:)
    Do we really deserve anything?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    RedChaser said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Apart from the game?
    Do we really deserve anything?
    not sure that I understand the context of the question .. at the very least we 'deserve' a manager who is on the case and not making ridiculous tactical and personnel decisions unworthy of a Sunday pub league amateur 'manager' .. the team ? .. it's doing it's limited best despite (I M O) poor management and tactical instructions. The owner ? .. I'm not convinced that he is anything other than a successful businessman who fancies himself as a bit of a lad and fancied owning a football club .. we will see in the medium term if his monetary input matches his mouth full of hype .. lastly, under Duchatelet we got a promotion and some half good players, albeit mostly loanees .. I hope that we don't soon have regrets about driving him away .. meet the new boss, worse that the old boss ? .. as ever, we live in expectation of a bright future
  • Options
    Guys let’s just take a step back and not settle for thinking someone might be ‘alright’ after a while. We are Charlton Athletic - and playing in league 1. We have rarely in my lifetime played at this level but when we do we have players that stand out………

Shelvey, Taylor, Cullen, Bielik, Grant, Bauer, Aribo, Jackson, Wright Phillips, Bailey, Kermorgant, Jackson, Djiksteel, Burton, Sam, Solly…. Etc etc 

Charlton Athletic in league one don’t pick up rejects from teams that we are either competing with or should be finishing well above. 

We shouldn’t be settling for players like Dobson and Clare in the hope they might be ok after a while. Or they can do a job. This isn’t the premier league. This isn’t the championship.

At the very least we shouldn’t have to settle for ‘ok’ at this level.
    Hit the nail on the head but thoroughly depressing!
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Apart from the game?
    There’s a reason he’s not had a job for two years. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Apart from the game?
    I thought he turned jobs down?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    RedChaser said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Apart from the game?
    I thought he turned jobs down?
    I suspect the truth is in between

He might have turned down jobs, but they clearly weren't attractive ones. Whereas where Adkins wanted the job, I imagine most of the clubs weren't interested.
  • Options
    Pay peanuts etc etc. I have no idea what Adkins is earning, but I wonder how much Charlton pay in comparison to clubs similar to our size, location, league position. 

Also how attractive a job is will be dictated by the realistic prospects of success. It'd be interesting to know what other successful managers thought of the Charlton managers job, when it came up. 
  • Options
    What happened to our player of the year Poyet a few years back ….
    are you allowed to become shit after being player of the year 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Apart from the game?
    Have you considered that NA is making a further statement to our owner that he doesn't consider the young 'uns on the bench to be ready for the 1st team, and chose to bring on a far more experienced "head" even at that late stage of the match ? 

Some had suggested that this might be the reason for his chosen sub at the Sheff Weds game.....

The longer our lack of incomings continues, I'm beginning to believe that Ged Roddy & Thomas are putting their faith in the youngsters & consider them ready to be not only part of the matchday squad but to play an active part in the games. And that the gaffer is at odds with that scenario. 

If there is any validity in this "feeling" I have ( NOT a tingle for sure !) then it's even more concerning than I thought....

...as apart from young Deji, I fear that it's a lost cause at this moment in time.  
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Apart from the game?
    Have you considered that NA is making a further statement to our owner that he doesn't consider the young 'uns on the bench to be ready for the 1st team, and chose to bring on a far more experienced "head" even at that late stage of the match ? 

Some had suggested that this might be the reason for his chosen sub at the Sheff Weds game.....

The longer our lack of incomings continues, I'm beginning to believe that Ged Roddy & Thomas are putting their faith in the youngsters & consider them ready to be not only part of the matchday squad but to play an active part in the games. And that the gaffer is at odds with that scenario. 

If there is any validity in this "feeling" I have ( NOT a tingle for sure !) then it's even more concerning than I thought....

...as apart from young Deji, I fear that it's a lost cause at this moment in time.  
    At MK Adkins sent on Elerewe rather than Pearce for Inniss and that shows he has faith in at least one 'kid' .. b t w Elerewe is going to be a hell of a player, so expect him to be sold very soon (excuse my cynicism)
    There was no excuse for bringing on Watson for Dobson .. alright our midfield was VERY poor but at 2-1 down with 1/4 of an hour left and the lone striker Stockley getting nowhere against a good defence, the need was for a striker however callow and inexperienced .. Davison has played around 30 league games so is not a total novice and he should have come on NOT Watson ..

and Fanny, IF your argument is that Adkins, 'the gaffer' is more intent on proving a point to the owner and D O F rather than having his mind on what the team is up to during a game and IF he is deliberately making bad substitution choices to prove that point , then he is even more useless than I think him to be .. Adkins is not here 'to make statements' he is employed to get the best from the playing resources available to him, and that he is emphatically failing to do at the moment .. IF Adkins is totally at odds with the owner/D O F, right or wrong, he should resign .. BUT he won't, because he will not get a decent managerial job elsewhere .. he is a busted flush .. end of
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Apart from the game?

Spot on Red.
    It was just too easy when they went 2-1 up.
  • Options
    Can’t judge NAs substitution when other than Kirk he had nothing there to change our attacking game. It’s a choice between leaving better players on our hoping a youngsters fresh legs might make a difference.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    That is kind of hilarious. No MK players!
    Yeah I'd have had Troy Parrott ahead of Stockley, both scored, just one happened to be on the winning team

But then I'm pretty sure the rankings are simply taken from Whoscored.com

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1553969/Live/England-League-One-2021-2022-Milton-Keynes-Dons-Charlton
    Whoscored had Albie Morgan as the best player on the pitch for the Oxford game 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Leuth said:
    That is kind of hilarious. No MK players!
    Yeah I'd have had Troy Parrott ahead of Stockley, both scored, just one happened to be on the winning team

But then I'm pretty sure the rankings are simply taken from Whoscored.com

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1553969/Live/England-League-One-2021-2022-Milton-Keynes-Dons-Charlton
    Whoscored had Albie Morgan as the best player on the pitch for the Oxford game 
    Yeah I'd love to know how they work out their player marks