Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nigel Adkins 100% support

edited August 2021 in General Charlton
And I say this with absolute confidence.

The best 11 (aside from Gilbey and JFC) was out there and I can’t fault the effort of the players but it’s a very poor 11. It’s clear investment is needed in our squad. I’m not blaming Atkins why we’ve had a poor start. When we’re playing teams who have already set up their recruitment we’re falling in the deep end.

This is why I say 100% support for Atkins. I think he’s doing the best with what we’ve got at the moment.

Comments

• I'm not so sure.
    Yes he's not been given the best support so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. But we are consistently making the same mistakes within games and I'm not sure the players we have got are fully behind his positive mantra.

• shirty5 said:
    Adkins 
    Corrected. Bloody autocorrect lol
  • Squads not good, but that doesn't excuse us not having a shot on target for the past 2 home games.

Still behind him though as I do think he's a decent manager 
  • DiscoCAFC said:
    And I say this with absolute confidence.

The best 11 (aside from Gilbey and JFC) was out there and I can’t fault the effort of the players but it’s a very poor 11. It’s clear investment is needed in our squad. I’m not blaming Atkins why we’ve had a poor start. When we’re playing teams who have already set up their recruitment we’re falling in the deep end.

This is why I say 100% support for Atkins. I think he’s doing the best with what we’ve got at the moment.
    Not from me. I at least need to see something other than long ball, archaic football and delusional sound bites first. 
  • edited August 2021
    Nigel Adkins has spent 40 years in football and is a smashing guy but the 25 clean sheets comment is just for a five star hotel and not this present Cafc team.

Have to trust me on this but over the last hundred years (it feels like it !) This is the weakest set up ever for scoring goals at Charlton I can recall. Only Five games but......

So if we concede at one end and can't score at the other end, we are in major trouble. 
    Only five games in including the League cup defeat but we have no fire power and two goals from set pieces is our only return.

• Sponsored links:

• I wasn’t excited when we appointed him, he won me over last year but back to square one after the start. I’ve seen Charlton lose before and it will happen again, Two home games and the visiting keeper hasn’t been tested. Not good enough.

• edited August 2021
    I can't see we have glaring alternatives in terms of formations we can play. Even if we wanted to play an obscene Long ball game we would need to bring a couple in. Adkins needs to have the right players and be judged how he does with them.
  • Terrible football, terrible players, terrible sound bites. 

He hasn't got his hands tied behind his back by the owner like many of our recent managers, and has so far assembled one of the worst Charlton squads I have ever seen
  • Reposting from the post-match comments: 

I think Adkins deserves a bit of time. 

He's come into a squad that clearly isn't good enough. Couple of long-term injuries means he has no LB and no AM. 

Another injury to Clare means he's forced to name 3 central midfielders and have no others on the bench. 

Moving us to 4-4-2 because of the lack of central midfielders in the second half lost us the game, but he was forced into that change because of our lack of depth. 

I wouldn't say any player looks worse under Adkins than under a previous manager, they're just poor players and he's had to make do. 

The recruitment isn't down to him and that's the issue we're having at the moment. 
  • Adkins done well last season, let's hope he can turn things around.
    Having said that, yesterday was poor.
  • With Bowyer, he would say the players are not good enough. Adkins won't say that and in all honesty it achieves nothing saying that. But we shouldn't assume he is happy with what we have. He doesn't put it bluntly but it is clear enough he knows we needs more in.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    I'm happy to support Adkins at the moment.

I am surprised though by people saying he might walk, as if us getting him in the first place was a massive coup for the club, or that he was still managerial hot property. The world of football quickly moves on, and you soon become forgotten about, as new coaches and managers come on the scene. 
  • I’m not too sure, he has my support because he’s Charlton manager and he hasn’t done anything to lose it (yet). But the “100% support” thing was started for Chris Powell, and later revived for Bowyer (I think), Adkins has none of the previous association or hero status to earn that level of unwavering support. He’s just another manager and we’re just another job for him, the relationship is transactional and my support for him is based on him delivering results.
  • No excuse for the poor football we are playing, 100% blame lies with Adkins. No matter how bad the set of players we currently have are, we shouldn’t be playing such negative and dull football.
  • I'm happy to support Adkins.

I am surprised though by people saying he might walk, as if us getting him in the first place was a massive coup for the club, or that he was still managerial hot property. The world of football quickly moves on, and you soon become forgotten about, as new coaches and managers come on the scene. 
    There is a difference between being a hot property and not needing the hassle.  Adkins isn't going to walk away from us and expect a championship job by Xmas.

What Adkins can do is walk away and not wonder where his next pay cheque is coming from.  He never needed to work again after getting sacked from Southampton.

I don't think he will walk during the season he certainly won't be here next season if the glaring issues aren't addressed though. 
  • sam3110 said:
    Terrible football, terrible players, terrible sound bites. 

He hasn't got his hands tied behind his back by the owner like many of our recent managers, and has so far assembled one of the worst Charlton squads I have ever seen
    For that to be true you are assuming that Adkins and only Adkins is responsible for recruitment. 
  • I didn’t want him when we appointed him, his cheesy sound bites did nothing to adhere me to him and now our team play like a shit Sunday league team.

I fear that Euell (who I wanted to get the job) and Jackson’s inclusion in his set up may have ruined any chance either of them have with our first team for the foreseeable.

• Cafc43v3r said:
    I'm happy to support Adkins.

There is a difference between being a hot property and not needing the hassle.  Adkins isn't going to walk away from us and expect a championship job by Xmas.

What Adkins can do is walk away and not wonder where his next pay cheque is coming from.  He never needed to work again after getting sacked from Southampton.

I don't think he will walk during the season he certainly won't be here next season if the glaring issues aren't addressed though. 
    He doesn't need to work, but might still want to. There are loads of ex managers out there, missing the buzz of football management, and desperate for a job.

If his time at Charlton ends badly, that might be it for his managerial career
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I'm happy to support Adkins.

He doesn't need to work, but might still want to. There are loads of ex managers out there, missing the buzz of football management, and desperate for a job.

If his time at Charlton ends badly, that might be it for his managerial career
    Of course your right and if your off the horse for too long your never get a job again, it's called the Curbishley effect.

He didn't seem that desperate after leaving Hull.  After the performances last season he probably still has credit in the game what ever happens this season.