Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nigel Adkins 100% support

Comments

• Options
    The abuse Adkins and the players were given yesterday was more of a protest against how small our squad and is more in frustration at TS. He came in told us we will be a prem league team in 5 years (no one really believed that however we thought we may have given it a go this season) but didn't sign enough players. It feels like he was more interested in promoting his song then getting us promoted and I'm sure that's not the case but it dont half feel like it.  Hopefully they will all learn from this but this season feels like a right off already even if we do sign 6-7 players before the window closes as we will have to wait another month for them to all gel and that's not including injuries or players coming back from injuries.
  • Options
    Just watched the Quest highlights:

I really don't care what the formation is called, the bottom line is you need players in and around the box who can score. When the Bolton lad took a shot at goal from open play (not a set piece) the Wanderers had 4 players in around the box. 

A good move made by the improved DJ
    (why take him off and replaced by a League 2 player ?) Set Matthews clear he put in a decent cross but both Stockley and Morgan made the same run in the box.  

So many examples of the home teams in Championship, League 1 and 2 attacking with numbers in transition and having 3 and 4 players available for a cross or a forward pass in or on the edge of the box.

I may offer to take next doors dog for a walk and drive the 50 minutes to Sparrows lane so I can have a conversation with Nigel Adkins and have a lovely chat above walking being brilliant and hearing what is the logic of playing Stockley as a lone striker when he hardly ever scores with his feet and we have no goals in our midfield and wingers (Kirk one in 6 I believe). So many other football related questions. 

Football is a results business and judged over the 100 minutes of most games now with added time because of the subs, injuries and the blatant time wasting.  (By Cafc as well)

Ironically enough every 100 minutes, Aneke would score last season, when he came off the bench for his 10 to 45 minute cameos.

Losing players like Chuks is not Adkins fault just like losing Taylor, Bauer, Aribo etc wasn't Bowyer's fault.

BUT, they have to set the team up to get the best results possible. Both failed to do that,  though injuries and reasons for mitigation  and situations off the pitch continue to affect the line up.

Because, he told Valley Pass afterwards, "he was only able to last 45 mins and in the end we kept him on for 60".

I don't know the underlying issue, he didn't elaborate there, but that is what he said.

That's an example of why I put in bold above, "anyone who cares to listen" (which is not a dig at you, but certainly is a dig at some others...)

Cheers Prague, I hadn't read or heard that DJ had the Jonny Williams battery, time scale on the field yesterday and would need to go off. 
  • Options
    I think he's doing the best he can with the squad he has. The recruitment has been poor, so perhaps Thomas has to look at the recruitment process, and who is responsible for overseeing which players we sign.
  • Options
    So has Adkins had no say in recruitment ? The recruitment has been poor , the team of 4 all have to share the flak
  • Options
    I tend to judge the season after twelve games, by then you judge the players brought in (hopefully more to come) ,and how they are gelling and playing to the managers game plan, and then I think you can probably have a good idea of the season ahead. 
  • Options
    I can't see we have glaring alternatives in terms of formations we can play. Even if we wanted to play an obscene Long ball game we would need to bring a couple in. Adkins needs to have the right players and be judged how he does with them.
    100% agree with that. Watching that yesterday, should have reminded us that professional football does have some fundamental truths. If your starting squad of 18 is significantly worse than the other team's, especially when comparing bench options, then it does not matter if your players pretty much carry out your instructions to the best of their ability (which I think they did yesterday); then in all probability you will lose the game, even if it takes until 88 minutes for the killer blow to happen.

Adkins is saying clearly enough to anyone who cares to listen  that this is nowhere near the squad he planned for at this stage, and nor is it the style of football he plans for. And I don't think that any other manager at all would do any better in the current situation.
    Absolutely spot on.
  • Options
    Not impressed with Adkins.....chasing the game at Oxford at 2-1 down and he brings on Watson....tell me how that one works....bit of a last of the country wine with him and his walking is brilliant routine.....
  • Options
    This has nothing to do with adkins this sits very firmly with the recruitment .Bowyer got frustrated with and fell out with the person responsible saying  the club where to slow to react.When Steve and bowyer where recruiting on there own look at the class players that where brought in. TWO MANY COOKS SPOIL THE BROTH.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    ct_addick said:
    Not impressed with Adkins.....chasing the game at Oxford at 2-1 down and he brings on Watson....tell me how that one works....bit of a last of the country wine with him and his walking is brilliant routine.....
    He had nothing on the bench to change the game, he can’t be blamed on that or judged on his subs.
    Agree, and it's a very important point. Against Wednesday when he had even less options, he basically didn't use any of them. How often do you see that, in the modern game? You could say he was "making a statement", however to me it was just his brutally obvious choice. There was no decent option for him. The "statement" follows from that.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I'm as disappointed as anyone about the start we've had to the season and have watched pretty much every minute of every game. We are certainly not performing well. 

But... I feel super calm about it all. I still have hope for Adkins and this season. 

I'm surprised by how wound up many are. This is just part and parcel of being a football supporter, and certainly a Charlton supporter. 

I think pandemic/lockdowns has had significant affects on us all that are not always apparent. 

Ride the wave. If we pick up, Adkins will stay. If we stay as we are, he will go. 

Meanwhile, love Charlton and enjoy what you can 

• Options
    I'm as disappointed as anyone about the start we've had to the season and have watched pretty much every minute of every game. We are certainly not performing well. 

But... I feel super calm about it all. I still have hope for Adkins and this season. 

I'm surprised by how wound up many are. This is just part and parcel of being a football supporter, and certainly a Charlton supporter. 

I think pandemic/lockdowns has had significant affects on us all that are not always apparent. 

Ride the wave. If we pick up, Adkins will stay. If we stay as we are, he will go. 

Meanwhile, love Charlton and enjoy what you can 

Wise words Siv. I know we all want to win every game but that’s not realistically going to happen. Looking at the facts - NA is a capable manager, he’s achieved a number of promotions and is knowledgeable about psychology and motivation. Look at how Amos and Gilbey improved when NA replaced Bowyer last season.  I’m sure he’s grown up enough to tell TS if there are issues - rather than send “signals “ by putting young lads on the bench, not using subs etc. Those saying that NA “will walk” - why would he do
    that? Fine if he doesn’t want to be a manager again. Fine if he doesn’t want the compensation he would get if he was sacked.  But I really don’t think this is likely.

TS is clearly a successful businessman. He has a puppy-like exuberance and loves playing to the crowd. He will be learning that owning a football club is not like other business and not like playing in a rock band. But I believe he is in it for the long haul - I don’t think he will sell the club just because some fans are rude to him on Twitter.

It’s far far too early to be talking about relegation - we’ve played 4 games. We’ve got a number of new players who need to gel as a unit. We are still missing at least 3 quality additions in key areas. The calibre of our youth products has been denuded by Roland’s neglect. It will take time to stabilise the business and the club. We have time - 42 games to go this season. And I don’t think TS and NA will be making any knee jerk decisions.  
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    ct_addick said:
    He had nothing on the bench to change the game, he can’t be blamed on that or judged on his subs.
    Agree, and it's a very important point. Against Wednesday when he had even less options, he basically didn't use any of them. How often do you see that, in the modern game? You could say he was "making a statement", however to me it was just his brutally obvious choice. There was no decent option for him. The "statement" follows from that.
    One statement it does make, even if it is only to us, is that he isn't going come just play the u23s come what May.

It would have been easy to put Dempsey, Vennings, Henry or anyone else on the bench on Saturday.  He didn't.  I think Clayden has played less than ten minutes even before Kirk signed and when DJ was only good for 45 and went awol at Oxford.

Even the fast tracked Roddy is yet to appear in the league.  It's also telling that he has had both Pearce and Elewery on the bench so he doesn't have to use Elewery if he doesn't think it's right.  I don't think he would have bought him on against Wyke for example.

I still think the current issues will be addressed but I am less confident they will all be addressed sufficiently than I was 3 weeks ago. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I like Adkins & I think he’ll do a good job ifTS backs him. The footballs poor at the moment which comes under his responsibility but let’s be honest, he doesn’t really have the players to do anything different. One thing I noticed, Nigel, JJ and Euell all look really pissed off at the end of the Wigan game, I don’t think that’s down to just that result. I think if we don’t really make any signings & then have a poor season he’ll walk. I’m sure he bought into TS’s stability & bringing in younger players plan, I suspect he didn’t realise it meant picking up Tranmere rejects. 
  • Options
    Tbh I was far from pleased when he was announced as our manager. However even if his tactics are surprisingly negative and one dimensional, as far as I can work out it doesn't seem to be his fault when it comes to recruitment which is the main reason we are gonna really struggle this season. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Adkins showed it Saturday  - tactically inept - 
    started one up front - and long ball rubbish we were lucky to not get hit for 6 - 

• Options
    Adkins is not to blame for our lack of enough quality players - that is down to TS.

Do i rate him highly? Not really as i think we need a street-fighter type manager given where we are.

He's a nice guy, but this job may be too big for him.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    100% support.
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    Adkins is not to blame for our lack of enough quality players - that is down to TS.

Do i rate him highly? Not really as i think we need a street-fighter type manager given where we are.

Yeah we should get Dhalsim in to light a yoga fire up the arses of our team. He would do good job in goal as well come to think of it.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    For what it’s worth, IMHO, Washington, Davidson and Schwartz sadly aren’t up to much, 
    How many goals can we expect to get from those three combined, I dread to think! 🥺🤨🙁
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    BigDiddy said:

He got Southampton promoted.
  • Options
    I'm not sure how NA can be held responsible for our start. We just dont have any options other than what he has picked. I think there is obviously something not working in our recruitment that needs addressing pronto
  • Options
    Being let down by the lack of recruitment for me.  Needs better players to make the system work!  Fingers crossed we get them! 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I'm not sure how NA can be held responsible for our start. We just dont have any options other than what he has picked. I think there is obviously something not working in our recruitment that needs addressing pronto
    As another day goes by without signing a player.
  • Options
    Give Adkins the tools to do the job and he will.I think the owner does not have the money
    That is sadly the truth of it. It seems he was shocked at the cost of owning a football club. After all it was suggested by an acquaintance he buy an English football club.  
    He has the same wealth as Roland so it is not surprising he now has the same or similar constraints in place. 
    The trouble is our squad is weak and the midfield awful without JF-C or Gilbey. 
    I’m sure that TS is an astute enough businessman to carry out full due diligence before committing financially to the purchase of Charlton.
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:

He got Southampton promoted.
    How long ago? Do you want Andy Nelson back? 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Doesn't he decide and plan our tactics?