Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nigel Adkins 100% support

Comments

• Options
    He is too nice a guy to be a modern day manager  . I like him as a person  , but not as our guvnor  .
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    What Curbishley achieved was for every consecutive season until we sold Parker, was he improved the side. Murray deserves credit for that too of course. That is harder when you have loads of loans and short contracts but the fact of the matter is we finished the season at a certain level and we haven't improved or even maintained that level. It can be argued that missing Gilbey and JFC is bad luck but you have to play with the hand you are dealt at the end of the day. 
  • Options
    Happy to support NA 100%, but he also needs a 100% squad budget. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I’m in the middle with Adkins.  He is a likeable person and well respected in the game - the total opposite of Bowyer.

However The football we are playing is dreadful - he picks the team, so the buck stops with him for the onfield stuff. However, he can only pick the players at his disposal - I’m not sure too many managers would get much out of Dobson, Morgan, Watson and Clare - absolutely awful options. 

I’m guessing he has been made promises by Sandgaard and it looks like they are not being kept. He left Hull for similar reasons and if those promises aren’t kept in the remainder of the transfer window then he will probably walk away again.

When he left Hull his reason was that the club and he were not aligned - that seems to be the case at Charlton as well. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Just watched the Quest highlights:

I really don't care what the formation is called, the bottom line is you need players in and around the box who can score. When the Bolton lad took a shot at goal from open play (not a set piece) the Wanderers had 4 players in around the box. 

A good move made by the improved DJ
    (why take him off and replaced by a League 2 player ?) Set Matthews clear he put in a decent cross but both Stockley and Morgan made the same run in the box.  

So many examples of the home teams in Championship, League 1 and 2 attacking with numbers in transition and having 3 and 4 players available for a cross or a forward pass in or on the edge of the box.

I may offer to take next doors dog for a walk and drive the 50 minutes to Sparrows lane so I can have a conversation with Nigel Adkins and have a lovely chat above walking being brilliant and hearing what is the logic of playing Stockley as a lone striker when he hardly ever scores with his feet and we have no goals in our midfield and wingers (Kirk one in 6 I believe). So many other football related questions. 

Football is a results business and judged over the 100 minutes of most games now with added time because of the subs, injuries and the blatant time wasting.  (By Cafc as well)

Ironically enough every 100 minutes, Aneke would score last season, when he came off the bench for his 10 to 45 minute cameos.

Losing players like Chuks is not Adkins fault just like losing Taylor, Bauer, Aribo etc wasn't Bowyer's fault.

BUT, they have to set the team up to get the best results possible. Both failed to do that,  though injuries and reasons for mitigation  and situations off the pitch continue to affect the line up.

• Options
    I like the bloke, but he needs to find someone from midfield who is going to run beyond the lines, and get up with Stockley
  • Options
    What have we replaced Anekes goals with ? .Is Adkins to blame for that?
  • Options
    I think we are maybe forgetting that it takes a lot longer than 12 months of stability and one summer transfer window to put right all the wrongs at our club since 2014 (and the Spivs before that).

In terms of quality young players coming through, there is a time delay until the promising kids are old enough to make the first team. Roland probably killed the arrival of a number of 10 year olds post 2014 who would be about 17 now. It can’t be a coincidence that the quality and number of promising young players seems to have dried up - undoubtedly damaged by what is probably a decade of poor ownership and mismanagement. 

TS and NA are sowing the seeds of stability and success. It may not happen this season or even next (developing young talent takes a number of years). But even so there is still time to be in the premier league in 5 years even if we don’t go up this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My daughter’s boyfriend is a Reading fan and he loves NA.
  • Options
    Adkins has a great record for promotions. 3x from League 1 and 1x from the Championship. That was clearly the attraction for TS. But the last of those was 10 years ago for Southampton. Since then he's done very little noteworthy.

Thats the danger of simply looking at history. What was good ten years ago isn't necessarily good for now.

But I don't see that he's done too much wrong so far, so deserves 100% support.
  • Options
    I think we are maybe forgetting that it takes a lot longer than 12 months of stability and one summer transfer window to put right all the wrongs at our club since 2014 (and the Spivs before that).

In terms of quality young players coming through, there is a time delay until the promising kids are old enough to make the first team. Roland probably killed the arrival of a number of 10 year olds post 2014 who would be about 17 now. It can’t be a coincidence that the quality and number of promising young players seems to have dried up - undoubtedly damaged by what is probably a decade of poor ownership and mismanagement. 

TS and NA are sowing the seeds of stability and success. It may not happen this season or even next (developing young talent takes a number of years). But even so there is still time to be in the premier league in 5 years even if we don’t go up this season.
    I think we may be forgetting that it took Bowyer 12 months and 1 summer transfer window to get us promoted.

adkins has my support at the moment cos he’s in the chair, but he hasn’t done anything yet to warn ‘100%’ support, the jury is very much out and even if the signings weren’t all his fault, he must have had SOME say, and the tactics and performances from the rubbish that has been assembled have been poor
  • Options
    Good luck with this. 
    He’s been too long out of the game and doesn’t have a player CV that would attract decent loanees. 
    Yes, he’s a fitness guru, but that’s nit going to help him here. 
    We can’t score and his only hope is taking a chance on a lower-league striker and hope he can step up. 
    A Vardy doesn’t come along that often or hang around for sale that long. 
  • Options
    Not at all convinced at the moment and wasn’t over impressed with the appointment, time will tell.
  • Options
    Adkins has a lot to offer us and the teams he manages. It all surrounds how well he is supported in terms of player recruitment and retention. We can all see that this is not where it needs to be right now, but that there remains the time to recover the situation. 

You could see through pre-season how he is trying to set the team up to play, high press, high tempo attacking third, controlled build up from the back and with sufficient cover to protect the back four. The quality of some of the most important positions in such a side has been found wanting thus far and unless that is remedied before the window closes, Adkins is on a hiding to nothing and will maintain my full support. My finger will be pointed towards TS, GR and SG, not due to lack of appreciation of investment made, but due to the poor execution of recruitment strategy. Time will tell…
  • Options
    Always a relief to some that search is so bad on here 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Of course he has my support, but as with Bowyer, he is not above criticism. The tactics and brand of football we play are atrocious and things need to change. Players aren’t performing to their potential and ultimately that’s down to him.
  • Options
    100%
  • Options
    Just watched the Quest highlights:

I really don't care what the formation is called, the bottom line is you need players in and around the box who can score. When the Bolton lad took a shot at goal from open play (not a set piece) the Wanderers had 4 players in around the box. 

A good move made by the improved DJ
    (why take him off and replaced by a League 2 player ?) Set Matthews clear he put in a decent cross but both Stockley and Morgan made the same run in the box.  

So many examples of the home teams in Championship, League 1 and 2 attacking with numbers in transition and having 3 and 4 players available for a cross or a forward pass in or on the edge of the box.

I may offer to take next doors dog for a walk and drive the 50 minutes to Sparrows lane so I can have a conversation with Nigel Adkins and have a lovely chat above walking being brilliant and hearing what is the logic of playing Stockley as a lone striker when he hardly ever scores with his feet and we have no goals in our midfield and wingers (Kirk one in 6 I believe). So many other football related questions. 

Football is a results business and judged over the 100 minutes of most games now with added time because of the subs, injuries and the blatant time wasting.  (By Cafc as well)

Ironically enough every 100 minutes, Aneke would score last season, when he came off the bench for his 10 to 45 minute cameos.

Losing players like Chuks is not Adkins fault just like losing Taylor, Bauer, Aribo etc wasn't Bowyer's fault.

BUT, they have to set the team up to get the best results possible. Both failed to do that,  though injuries and reasons for mitigation  and situations off the pitch continue to affect the line up.

Because, he told Valley Pass afterwards, "he was only able to last 45 mins and in the end we kept him on for 60".

I don't know the underlying issue, he didn't elaborate there, but that is what he said.

That's an example of why I put in bold above, "anyone who cares to listen" (which is not a dig at you, but certainly is a dig at some others...)
  • Options
    Adkins has a lot to offer us and the teams he manages. It all surrounds how well he is supported in terms of player recruitment and retention. We can all see that this is not where it needs to be right now, but that there remains the time to recover the situation. 

You could see through pre-season how he is trying to set the team up to play, high press, high tempo attacking third, controlled build up from the back and with sufficient cover to protect the back four. The quality of some of the most important positions in such a side has been found wanting thus far and unless that is remedied before the window closes, Adkins is on a hiding to nothing and will maintain my full support. My finger will be pointed towards TS, GR and SG, not due to lack of appreciation of investment made, but due to the poor execution of recruitment strategy. Time will tell…
    I can't remember what preseason game it was but I said it was obvious what recruitment is needed but the patterns of play with the ball and pressing without it were very good.  They were quite good against Wednesday but obviously still lacked that bit of quality which Kirk should help to address.

Against MK Dons we looked OK until they scored and could have gone 2-1 up as well.  In the second half we looked absolutely deviod on confidence both in themselves and each other.

Our midfield is incapable of either keeping the ball nor winning it back.  Until that is resolved you won't have over lapping full backs or people running passed Stockley.  Two players could really change this team. 
  • Options
    He's a good manager with a proven track record.  He deserves to be given a good run at the club but also needs the backing in terms of the players he can bring in. And let's be honest, if he was removed today who on earth would we attract and could anyone make a silk purse out of the current sow's ear? 
  • Options
    I only give family and really close friends 100% support.

A football manager? Not really.
  • Options
    redman said:
    Tactics absolutely dreadful. He was good at Scunthorpe and Southampton. Total failure at Reading and Sheffield United. Mediocre at Hull, finishing 13th in div 1 in his only full season. 
    So it's January 2013 since he left a succesful job, really 2012, 9 years ago since he had any success! 
    He took over Hull when they were in 20th and struggling and he kept them up. The following season as you say they were 13th. That's a good season in the championship.

Hull wanted to renew his contract but he left. The next season they finished bottom.
  • Options
    I don't blame him. He can only work with what is given to him and TS is not giving him much at all.
  • Options
    100% support from me.  Think he might have to do a bit more set up wise as it doesn’t look like his preferred system will work, but I think it’s too early to be turning on him