Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nigel Adkins 100% support

124»

Comments

• Options
    Give Adkins the tools to do the job and he will.I think the owner does not have the money
    That is sadly the truth of it. It seems he was shocked at the cost of owning a football club. After all it was suggested by an acquaintance he buy an English football club.  
    He has the same wealth as Roland so it is not surprising he now has the same or similar constraints in place. 
    The trouble is our squad is weak and the midfield awful without JF-C or Gilbey. 
    A quick Internet search suggests RD worth between $1m and $3m, while TS is worth £400 million. If that’s anywhere near accurate TS is considerably more wealthy than RD.
  • Options
    ''Look at the Hull dressing room, that will be us next season!''

We are obviously doing things the hard way by giving the other teams a generous start!
  • Options
    Give Adkins the tools to do the job and he will.I think the owner does not have the money
    That is sadly the truth of it. It seems he was shocked at the cost of owning a football club. After all it was suggested by an acquaintance he buy an English football club.  
    He has the same wealth as Roland so it is not surprising he now has the same or similar constraints in place. 
    A quick Internet search suggests RD worth between $1m and $3m, while TS is worth £400 million. If that’s anywhere near accurate TS is considerably more wealthy than RD.
    RD is worth a lot more than $1-3m. He was apparently worth over £400m when he bought us. 
  • Options
    ''Look at the Hull dressing room, that will be us next season!''

We are obviously doing things the hard way by giving the other teams a generous start!
    Perhaps Adkins meant that in the following season Hull would be struggling for survival, and so would we...
  • Options
    redman said:
    BigDiddy said:
    Adkins is not to blame for our lack of enough quality players - that is down to TS.

Do i rate him highly? Not really as i think we need a street-fighter type manager given where we are.

He's a nice guy, but this job may be too big for him.

He got Southampton promoted.
    How long ago? Do you want Andy Nelson back? 
    Adkins finished the season off well, that showed he still had something in him.

• Options
    I’m sure that TS is an astute enough businessman to carry out full due diligence before committing financially to the purchase of Charlton.
    Why ? One of the dumbest things to do with mo ey, apart from gambling is to 'invest' in a football club. How do you account for the lack of budget then and the signing of a L2 reject on a 4 month deal.
    Whilst Sandgaard has lots of credit left in the bank, this example does not inspire confidence in our recruitment, only time will tell.
  • Options
    I’m sure that TS is an astute enough businessman to carry out full due diligence before committing financially to the purchase of Charlton.
    Why ? One of the dumbest things to do with mo ey, apart from gambling is to 'invest' in a football club. How do you account for the lack of budget then and the signing of a L2 reject on a 4 month deal.
    Whilst Sandgaard has lots of credit left in the bank, this example does not inspire confidence in our recruitment, only time will tell.
    Even the 10/11 squad scored goals from open play. 
  • Options
    Adkins has my support and Tommy also.  Just think back a few years.  This is the first time in a very long time we have a competent and experienced leader who will succeed given the right resources.  Tommy needs to back him financially.  I was hoping for some dynamic, sensational and quality additions ... a few days left to achieve this.
  • Options
    For those laying the blame with Adkins, wanting him gone etc.........if he was sacked today who would you want in charge, and why do you think they'd get more from this very average group of players?

Let's judge him once the window is closed, we've made some more signings (yes we will make some) and he's had time to work with them.

A win v Crewe, then 10 days to work with the new signings and a win v Cheltenham and things will start to look up again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We can't expect Adkins to have a better season with a worse squad in a more competitive league.

100% support from me. Not his fault. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    We can't expect Adkins to have a better season with a worse squad in a more competitive league.

True but are we saying that Adkins has no say in recruitment ? 
  • Options
    Chunes said:

It’s not “true”, it’s an opinion.  This side isn’t great but the football has been utterly one dimensional so far; why hasn’t he tried 2 up front , either in a 3-5-2 or a 442 variant ?  The lumping it up to Stockley and hoping he does
    something is all we’ve seen so far 
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Agreed, as while I support Adkins, he choose the formation we are playing, and has a say in the recruitment

At the moment we are playing 433 without having the right players, such as attacking full backs and a mobile No 9, to play such a system, so something has gone wrong
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Who can say how much influence he has over that. He certainly doesn't set the budget. 
  • Options
    I still think Adkins is a decent option to take us forward. I must admit he wasn't a name on my radar when appointed but it did have the makings of being a shrewd appointment. I don't see many people doing a lot better with the current squad. The next 5 days will determine whether Adkins has been stitched up or not IMO. 
  • Options
    100% from me. Don't think anyone else could do a better job than him with the poor squad we have at the moment
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    If you play 4-3-3 and the 3 up front are  2 non scoring wingers* and Central striker that scores the majority of his goals in the air, of course it's going to be one dimensional.

Yohann Thuram could be in goal for our opposition and we wouldn't score from open play if we can't hit the target inside the posts.

I wanted to be slaughtered for being wrong when I said we will struggle to score from open play in August when the season was about to kick off. Just like when I said we would finish 7th last season.

* When Washington plays he isn't a winger but for half the match he is too wide to find the angle to score. 
  • Options
    His tactics,  team selections and decisions on who to substitute and when are woeful .. he'll get my support when his management  improves and his' walk' matches his talk
  • Options
    His tactics,  team selections and decisions on who to substitute and when are woeful .. he'll get my support when his management  improves and his' walk' matches his talk
    Tactics is debatable but he doesn’t have much choice with team selection and subs given the lack of depth and the injuries we have.