Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic v Crewe Alexandra | Saturday 28th August | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic v Crewe Alexandra
Saturday 28th August 2021 ... 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: James Bell

Introduction
You're seriously joking...? - Not another one, oh for God's sake!!

Yup I'm afraid that Charlton return to the Valley for back to back home games, a week after having been despatched by Wigan Athletic, its now the turn of another team from the North to travel to South East London to see what rewards they can obtain from us. Understandably fans will be on edge this coming weekend, despite being just four games into the league campaign there is naturally going to be a sense of nervousness and impatience from the stands this Saturday. Its early days but a season of hope, really could yet turn into a season that becomes an absolute disaster.

The Opposition
Name: Crewe Alexandra (22nd) | Manager: David Artell
Ground: Gresty Road
Previous Meeting: Chartlton Athletic 2-2 Crewe Alexandra

Come the end of the season there were a few occasions where we could look back and pinpoint the moment where our Play-Off dreams ended - Our hopes truly came to an end when we dropped our final points of the season, in typical Charlton fashion it came at the hands of another CAFC.

That team now travel back to SE7 looking to inflict more damage on the natives, buts a team that have equally been decimated over the last few months - Three of players that started have since moved to pastures new (Pickering and Wintle amongst them), whilst two others (Lowery and Dale) appear to be heading out of Crewe before the transfer window closes. For Crewe fans this'll be nothing new, they're used to seeing youngsters coming through the Academy before moving on to bigger and better things but it must certainly hurt when they think what could be.

The exodus in the Crewe squad though has also meant that only three players (from that last encounter with Charlton) lined up for the Railwaymen in their last game - Only six signings have been made so far, including another ex-Charlton player in Terrell Thomas, meaning that their current position is no potential surprise.

David Artell potentially has his biggest challenge on his hands, keeping Crewe in League One whilst they recover from the hardships that we've all seen these last eighteen months - Understandable that they and many others continue to try and squeeze as much out of their players valuations.

Charlton Team News
Of course the third player that has already departed Crewe will need no introduction from either sets of fans, and its hoped / expected when Charlie Kirk steps out on Saturday afternoon that he'll be receiving a warm welcome from both sets of fans - With Conor Washington injured against Milton Keynes it was no surprise to see the marquee signing starting for the Addicks, and the youngster was one of the few who didnt disappoint, and was unfortunate not to open his Addicks account.

This Saturday and with no further incomings (as things stand) and you'd expect to see a similar line up to the one we saw last time out against Wigan - Corey Blackett-Taylor was a late signing on Friday, but was brought in before the deadline so made his debut from the bench, again you'd expect him to appear there once again and hopefully will be more used to the Nigel Adkins system, given the fact he'll have had another week of training behind him.

Both Ben Purrington and Alex Gilbey continue with their recoveries

Is there a very slim chance that we'll see Ronnie Schwartz this Saturday? - The Danish Striker has had a difficult time in England to date, yet was absent for the U23s when they made their trip to Barnsley just a few days ago, so might now be under consideration for the First Team once again.

MacGillivray
Matthews - Inniss - Famewo - Gunter
Dobson - Morgan
Lee
Jaiyesimi - Stockley - Kirk

Substitutes Bench: Harness | Elewere | Pearce | Washington | Watson | Blackett-Taylor | Davison

Prediction
First things first... This isnt a relegation six-pointer.

With so much Football still to be played, games this early will have little impact on the final League table, especially when injuries and suspensions could yet see the Addicks finishing even lower than where they are now... Jokes aside, this is the sort of game where we really need to be winning if we want to maintain any hopes of a successful season, those we've already faced in the League will surely be challenging at the top themselves. But an inability to beat those competing to be the "best of the rest" and alarm bells ringing will be an understatement come 5pm on Saturday.

Comments

• Great preview as usual FA 
    Unfortunately it's got to the stage where the only bit of the day I look forward to is meeting up with my mates for a few beers pre match.
    As for the fastball it's as turgid as I can remember. 
    Hopefully we will bring in a few more players to lift the spirit in the dressing room.
    As for the game itself I reckon a 1.1 bore draw.
  • 0 - 0 
    Is that your scoreline prediction or are you just reacting to another game coming up? ;)
  • thanks FA

1-0 with Ronnie coming on and scoring from a Stockley knock down - yes I know I'm dreaming!
  • 2-0 Charlton, lets get this show on the road! 
    Kirk & Jaiyesimi
  • edited August 2021
    I reckon we’ll win on Saturday and then be gutted we don’t have the Gillingham match (which is pretty winnable) to get some momentum going.
  • If we persist with stockley up front on his own I’m going to be optimistic and say we will have a shot on target 
  • edited August 2021
    The mighty Crewe with all their proud history will prove just too strong for us and plucky little Charlton will come out brave but inevitable losers.
  • edited August 2021
    3-0 Kane, K Dempsey 2.
  • 2-1 win. 

Not because we’ve improved but because Crewe’s squad has been decimated 
  • Sponsored links:

• 1-0 win. 

After 70 minutes the crowd will all start chanting Ronnie, Ronnie, Ronnie. Adkins will bow to pressure and bring on The Gunslinger, Rocket Ronnie. Schwartz will grab the winner in the last minute.
  • Please no to watson again and 100% cant bear to watch him do another 90+ mins😫

bring clare back in or even change shape wld take a youngster coming in over him especially alongside dobson again!
  • Please no to watson again and 100% cant bear to watch him do another 90+ mins😫

bring clare back in or even change shape wld take a youngster coming in over him especially alongside dobson again!
    If Clare has an achilles injury I imagine it'll be a few weeks before we see him again
  • God, I have so little confidence over this game.

No one has a divine right to win any games, and league one is super competitive no matter what anyone says. It is not unusual at all for a team towards the bottom of the table to pull off a shock result. With that being said (with all thats going on) this is a game and a team I really feel like we should be getting 6 points from.

However I think Crewe will really see us for the taking here, and raise their game, and I am worried that our poor start will just continue as our team really didn't expect to be where we are. Guess this is where managers earn their salt. 
  • I’ll be astonished if Ronnie ever features for us again.  

Surely we must be good enough, sorry, not quite shite enough to be able to see off a decimated Crewe?  No, me neither. 0-1 and the Covered End turns toxic. 
  • I think we'll win this but it will be hard fought.  
  • Clean sheet number 2, just 23 more to go...

Watson and Morgan as our fulcrum, a goal an assist for Kirky boy. 8 of the 10 outfeild players from the much meligned class of 20/21.  MOM performance from Adam Matthews.......
  • Went on Saturday, abject display, natives were restless....

...so I bought a season ticket.  

The only way is up.  2-0  MOM Morgan with a 35 yard screamer proving all the doubters wrong and Kirk assisting a Stockley header.

Dare to dream
  • easy prediction Charlton 0 Crewe 1.
  • Having to miss the game because of a wedding. Feeling indifferent rather than disappointed at not getting my Valley fix. Wish we could get some signings to change my mood. 
  • Sponsored links:

• 4 games to get the preseason legginess out. Season starts Saturday.  2-1 to the addicks
  • Probably win this one, won't be at The Valley on Saturday and the last 3 home league games I've missed where fans can attend we've won 4-0, 3-0 and 5-2
  • edited August 2021
    What is the master plan Nigel?
    Only I can't stand much more of this laboured build-up, stilted play and tiresome predictability.
    Where is the fluidity, flair and invention?
    Where is the chance creation and goals coming from?
    Let's at least move the ball quicker and FFS get DJ and Kirk in the game in threatening areas.
    To date the team has looked bereft of sufficient quality and there has been no further recruitment since last Saturday.
    If this is what we have I need convincing that we will be challenging for promotion.
    Go on Nige, thrill me with your acumen.
    I have no confidence. 

Edit: Lee has joined and will hopefully make a difference; carrying the ball, chipping in with goals and hopefully linking up with Kirk and DJ. Hope he starts on Saturday, but probs on bench.
  • Updated my team in the Preview accordingly.
  • Thanks for a great preview. 
    Nothing has changed. 
    Gunter and Watson stealing a living
    Morgan not good enough. 
    Schwartz missing from U23, could just be that he is missing in general (as per the last 6+ months). 
    No goal threat
    No creative midfield
    Team confidence low. 
    Manager still an unknown quantity.
    Gilbey and Purrington are only average L1 players. 
    Future looking bleak. 
    Stand by for 1 up front with no service, and another disappointment in a game that true playoff/promotion contenders should have wrapped up in the first half hour. 

Hope I’m wrong. 
  • Changing your squad for Saturday FA? Where are you going to put Lee?
  • ross1 said:
    Changing your squad for Saturday FA? Where are you going to put Lee?
    You'll have to check the Preview ;)
  • ross1 said:
    Changing your squad for Saturday FA? Where are you going to put Lee?
    You'll have to check the Preview ;)
    You beat me again ............. I hate you  :)