Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Crewe Alexandra | Saturday 28th August | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    I missed the game, having had a suspected transient ischaemic attack. I’m pleased we won, annoyed to have missed it, and now conflicted as to whether I attend the next match or spend the day in Lewisham Hospital. 

• Options
    I missed the game, having had a suspected transient ischaemic attack. I’m pleased we won, annoyed to have missed it, and now conflicted as to whether I attend the next match or spend the day in Lewisham Hospital. 

Oh dear, hope you're OK. I think spending the day in Lewisham Hospital when you're not required to might be taking matchday superstition a little too far though :)
  • Options

I think the suspected ischaemic attack is what we used in the last 4 games... 4-4-2 worked better. Hope you're ok, worth watching the highlights tonight!!
  • Options

At least it was an attack 😉

(hope you are feeling better). 
  • Options
    Crewe were very poor but we looked good particularly on the break and not a bad player on the pitch. Thought the formation was right and where Washington played it meant Morgan was deeper and he played well. For all the criticism Watson gets he read the game well today and really showed his experience. Thought Gunter was excellent but not sure there was any real connection with Kirk who was probably our worst player today but not a bad thing as he actually shows promise. Thought DJ was man of the match, good goal and that flick thing he done was class. 
  • Options
    A good, all-round, team performance. Everyone did a job and we should have had more than the two. We deserved more than the two. First time that I’ve seen Kirk and I was a little disappointed. I expected him to be more direct. Still, he can only get better. DJ was my MOTM. Ran himself into the ground and scored a good goal. With Arter coming in, this team and performances will get better. #TheOnlyWayIsUp
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Relieved. Bodes well. Yes Crewe were poor although had some second half chances. We should have scored more but looked good so encouraged now. Thought Lee looked good despite a bit rusty. I think we will challenge for play offs this season
  • Options

And these are the scores on the doors

• Options
    that's not what Lifers reckon so far, don't forget to put your players marks in
  • Options
    That feels a lot better!

I thought we looked infinitely better playing in a (what I think was) 4-4-2. Crewe were poor and look like they are going to struggle this season - not a patch on the side they had last year that made us look very average. However, we looked much more threatening going forward and did look like we wanted to go an win the game. I still think there is work to be done, but I prefer us having Washington in the second striker role and he was my MotM today, despite missing what should have been our third. We rode our luck on more than one occasion, but we dealt with the little of what Crewe threatened with and deserved the clean sheet win ;)

Positives all over the pitch, really. Everyone looked better, particularly after we scored. I'm excited to see more of Elliot Lee and I think he's going to be a good signing. Deji Elerewe already looks like an assured understudy to Inniss and Famewo - NA showed a lot of trust to bring the lad on, so someone needs to be thinking about locking the lad into a 2-3 year contract to prevent him being nicked for cheap.

Only minor gripe would be Kirk not looking spectacular yet. Definitely think there is more to come and I'd even consider playing him in the 10 role, like Washington. I noticed he tended to drift in a little more than I'd like, but I think he's still finding his feet and I think an better LB (despite Gunter looking better) behind him would make him look better. He's young and in a good place to improve.

Just need a goal in front of the Covered End now - was very close!
  • Options
    Thought Crewe looked a bit like us in previous games, still, we got the three points, onwards and upwards
  • Options

Hope all is well 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good win, much better going forward although we conceded too many chances. We scored just as they were getting a bit on top.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    And all the best @AddicksAddict
  • Options
    Was their number 5, Terrell Thomas who used to play for the Yoof team? Thought he was class today.
  • Options
    dickad1 said:
    Thought Matthews played well and combined very well with Jaiyesimi. 
    There seemed to be a clear change in philosophy regarding the fullbacks, first time this season they've been given the licence to get forward more. Meant that both of them had good games but also that our wide men weren't so isolated. Got to say fair play for Adkins for doing that and for playing washington as the 10, made us a lot more threatening but obviously with the added risk.
  • Options
    Was their number 5, Terrell Thomas who used to play for the Yoof team? Thought he was class today.
    Yup same one. He looked very good today. Thought him and the no.10 were there standout players. 
  • Options
    Crewe are the domestic equivalent of a side like Ajax

Obviously a far lower level, but both produce great sides (for their resources) based on home grown players, and both have to constantly rebuild after bigger clubs then pick them off. It must be dispiriting knowing that you can never build a side for very long periods of time before they all disperse.
  • Options
    Great team performance and some real "stand up and be counted" shows from players like Morgan, Matthews and Gunter.

Brilliant.  

Stockley has the potential to be a club favourite. 

• Options
    I was pleased to see a change of formation today. Not because I love a 4-4-2, but because it suits the players we have available at the moment.
    Morgan looked more assured with a reduced role, Stockley had a partner and Washington played in a role that suits him. We have two good wingers and we took full advantage of that. Even the full backs looked more comfortable.
    I thought we looked tired towards the end of the game again. Defensive midfielder cannot arrive quickly enough. We need to be able to replace someone like Watson with 20 to go with quality- or even better, Watson to be that player.
    DS my MOM. What a fantastic talent he is and took his goal well. Extra point for actually being in there to score it.
  • Options
    Feels really good to get three points on the board. All of the players looked sharper in play and decision making, but am conscious that Crewe were the weakest of the 5 league sides we have played thus far. Nevertheless, the result and performance in general front to back is surely the fillip they needed to kick start our season proper. I thought Gunter had his best game for us since joining last season and the whip he got on his crosses with his weaker left foot was impressive.