Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Crewe Alexandra | Saturday 28th August | Post-match Thread

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Not sure how to really process that one. We won and for large parts of the game we looked very good.

However there were lots of moments where we were on the back foot and were getting swamped by a team I fully expect to be in the bottom half of the table by the end of the season.

So many positives, but a couple of nagging negative at the back of my head. 

Thought Famewo looked great. I am fully on board with C-Mac now and in general thought all of our players looked better then they have in recent weeks. 

Worried about Innis though. He is such a threat in both boxes, but can't have a defender playing we have to continuously sub. 

Solid performance but let’s not get carried away.  Crewe were very poor. Totally agree re Innis. Seems to to be nowhere near fit, positionally poor, panics. 
  • Options
    Innis is basically having his pre-season playing first team games. He is a key player for us and we have to be a bit patient in that regards.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Interesting interview with Nigel Adkins by Scott Minto: 

Many point raised by myself and others on CL were addressed.

We have worked on Stockley not being isolated. 
    please to hear that Nigel, because taking 4 League games to correct that issue looks poor and points have been squandered.

We have told DJ to get in the box when the ball is on the other flank.
    This is basic coaching, I did that with U11's, when the ball is coming in from the other flank; every coach teaches that.

Great cross by Gunter for DJ goal.
    Agreed, but if you have a natural left footer at LB then on a good day you may get 4 crosses coming in to be attacked around the Six yard box from the left side. Not Nigel's fault, or Gunter's but one left footed cross in the 5th match shows we had an emergency at LB after Purrington's hamstring injury. Plus playing Washington out wide on the left where he can only cut back on to his right.

We are working at getting more players in and around the box when we are attacking.
    important to hear that because after the Wednesday game Nigel said the ambition was to have 25 clean sheets and no mention of the ambition of creating and scoring.  

I couldn't believe that Nigel Adkins had spent 40 years in the Pro game as player, physio, coach and Manager and not have the same ambition as all coaches, managers and fans/critics, which is to score goals and win matches. Clean sheets are the bonus but I personally have no trouble with a 3-1 if it means you create numerous chances and play on the front foot. Entertain your punters or you will lose them.

I can understand why Cafc used the 3 international players rule to get the Gillingham game off as we are playing catch up with our recruitment and both Lee and Arter (when/if signed) need a good two weeks at Sparrows lane to get up to speed.

All the players need to Gel, because there won't be many teams as poor as Crewe this season, just like when Plymouth had a shockers against cafc at Home park last season. We were excellent, but it was still a freak result when compared to the rest of the season.

No reason Nigel Adkins can't be successful at Cafc, but will need to set the team up to score goals which it sounds is more the priority now. 

• Options
    Innis is basically having his pre-season playing first team games. He is a key player for us and we have to be a bit patient in that regards.
    We’re managing his minutes and fitness, exactly what we successfully did with Aneke last season. Good to see as every player is different and some can’t play and train in the same way the majority do.
  • Options
    From both Adkins' change of formation and the (rumoured) extra funds being made available for deadline day it seems to me like there's been something of a reaction internally to the poor start and behind the scenes there's been a change of focus.

It's hard to take conclusions given Crewe were a poor side but I don't think Sandgaard/Adkins/etc were any happier than we were with how the season started but hopefully steps are being taken to rectify the situation.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Scoham said:
    We’re managing his minutes and fitness, exactly what we successfully did with Aneke last season. Good to see as every player is different and some can’t play and train in the same way the majority do.

Solly for the last 6 years of his career at cafc had a bespoke training routine. Remember seeing Chris train on a Static bike in Mijas, Spain when others were playing friendlies. 

Aneke's problem was what might happen, as opposed to Ryan Inniss, who has constant muscle problems and why he has played so few matches over the last 8 years including his loan spells away from Palace. 

Not sure many clubs would play a Centre back for various segments of games and then keep taking him off; Quite unusual.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    From both Adkins' change of formation and the (rumoured) extra funds being made available for deadline day it seems to me like there's been something of a reaction internally to the poor start and behind the scenes there's been a change of focus.

It's hard to take conclusions given Crewe were a poor side but I don't think Sandgaard/Adkins/etc were any happier than we were with how the season started but hopefully steps are being taken to rectify the situation.
    I've certainly not presumed there are extra funds available. We always knew we would sign a few on loan and although Arter is on a hefty wage, we might be paying barely any of it. We can still sign three on loan (including Arter) and I don't believe we'll buy anyone else. 
  • Options
    anyone actually bothering with crawley tommorow? I'm going and still hoping to see schwartz start
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Had a bit of deja vu when DJ said that everyone was banging on for him to get on the back post when the ball was being crossed from the opposite wing. 

Keith Peacock was given the same advice way back when and it led to a very productive period for him.    
    Such a simple thing to do, not sure what stops wingers from doing it and why some needs to be encouraged to do so.
    Because they are ball watching? And out of the game.

Wingers need to be always anticipating and to keep moving.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Out and out wingers are normally average when it comes to finishing.
    Taylor and Grant after his lone spell were good examples of the winger/striker who could be sharp in the box yet could play out wide and supply decent crosses as well.

Not convinced that DJ and Gilbert will ever score more than 1 goal in 6 games but they may continue to develop and score even more if we can get them in and around the box when the ball is on the other flank.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Interesting that the other EFL team of the week included 3 Charlton players, whereas this L1 only team just has the one. And it's not one of the 3 either!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Interesting that the other EFL team of the week included 3 Charlton players, whereas this L1 only team just has the one. And it's not one of the 3 either!
    And none of the 4 players included in the teams were our official MOTM, Jaiyesimi 
  • Options
    anyone actually bothering with crawley tommorow? I'm going and still hoping to see schwartz start
    Passed Crawley today on the way back from Littlehampton . Traffic was awful both ways.
    Guessing Gatwick is getting busier again plus day trippers so I will not be going.
  • Options
    Passed Crawley today on the way back from Littlehampton . Traffic was awful both ways.
    Guessing Gatwick is getting busier again plus day trippers so I will not be going.
    At The Valley.
  • Options
    At The Valley.
    Even worse if you have to use the A2 to get home.
  • Options
    At The Valley.
    I may go then. Don't know why I thought it was away cheers
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Tempted even though I should know better. These matches always seem to disappoint. 
  • Options
    But it could go to penalties for the all important bonus point 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I think most of us will be more concerned with Cawley tomorrow evening  :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1%        Top two
    35%    Play offs 
    54%     7th-12th
    10%    13th-20th

• Options
    The Fanackapans will be at the match tomorrow evening.

It's the only place to be for hot off the press news as the deadline approaches at 11pm with medicals taking place in the Changing Room on site & signings conducted pitchside as they happen ! 

Scarfy will be there ....