Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Crewe Alexandra | Saturday 28th August | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options

Always knew that Matt Smiths would come good. 
  • Options
    *Matts Smith 
  • Options
    Got to Liverpool Street early (boys unable to go with me yesterday) and walked the south bank Thames Path from Tower Bridge to Greenwich. 

Stumbled across 'The Dog and Bell' in Deptford so had a few pints in there, including a really pleasant (but punchy) craft IPA (Fergal - I think?) at 6.5%!

Carried on to Greenwich and had some lunch and a few beers at the 'Trafalgar' (first time in there, loved it) and 'The Yacht', before jumping on the train at Maze Hill and heading to the game.

My point is?...... Thanks for the comments in this thread because I don't remember too much about the game! :|
    The Dog and Bell is a great pub. Back in 1992, when you had to live in the locale to get married at a particular place, Ms AA and I supposedly lived there so we could tie the knot at St Nick’s over the road. 
    Does that mean Graham Corneck performed the ceremony ?
  • Options
    I missed the game, having had a suspected transient ischaemic attack. I’m pleased we won, annoyed to have missed it, and now conflicted as to whether I attend the next match or spend the day in Lewisham Hospital. 

There is no debate, your health comes first, a TIA is serious, get it sorted asap.
    All the best.
  • Options
    Dobson isn't all bad. He picked a great pass to Clare in the build up for Albie's hoof against Sheff W. I'm sure he can replicate what Pratley offered us this season if he continues to work hard.
  • Options
    That's what I'm afraid of tbh
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1968CAFC said:
    A far better and more possible performance all around even though we were playing a poor team.
    why the fuck we try to hang onto a 2-0 lead at half time beats me?
    if one of Crewe’s well defended goal line clearances 
    had gone in.....then it potentially becomes a draw?
    having said that it was still a great improvement with some news guys to come 👍👍👍
    What is a more possible performance?
    We didn't try to hang on to a 2-0 lead.
    If one of Crewe's efforts had gone in, it would not have become a draw. It would have been 2-1.
  • Options

Great win today. Proud of our lads. #cafc
  • Options
    Great day at charlton today !! Was looked after brilliantly by @CAFCofficial staff! Nice debut and good win as well 
  • Options

Great performance and spirit from the boys today ! On another day it’s 4 or 5
  • Options
    Get in Ben Watson and Albie Morgan unreal!!
  • Options
    That’s more like it great 3 points#cafc
  • Options

We’re Up and Running! Great win and Clean sheet! Time to build on it! Great to finally hear that valley roaring when we scored! @CAFCofficial #cafc
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had a bit of deja vu when DJ said that everyone was banging on for him to get on the back post when the ball was being crossed from the opposite wing. 

Keith Peacock was given the same advice way back when and it led to a very productive period for him.    
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    On reflection:
    1. The line-up of 442 as yesterday but with Lee and Arter as the midfield 2, and Purrington at left back might be good enough for the playoffs but not automatics.
    2. Automatics would require a better left back than Purrington and a natural goalscorer up front with Stockley.
    3. Morgan and Clare would both benefit from coming on as impact players than starters.
    4. Matthews still has a good turn of pace and should get forward more.
    4. Elerewe, gone by end of January.
    Lee is a striker/number 10. No way we’d play him in a midfield two
    Don’t see the striker thing at all myself, although number 10, possibly. Looked like a dynamo attacking midfielder to me 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    seth plum said:
    Deji Elerewe is 17 (seventeen!!), still two weeks shy of his 18th birthday.
    Four years younger than Albie Morgan, who as a still very young player has gone through many steps forward and steps back situations in his overall development into a reckonable player.
    I would urge people to look forward to the development of young Deji, but please refrain from digging him out if he doesn't become someone like Virgil van Dijk within a year.
    It is in the nature of young players to have ups and downs, and the best way to respond to any downs for Deji is encouragement, not with the kind of critical eye you might turn on Ben Watson.
    As the players were leaving the pitch yesterday, young Deji was doing energetic runs from the edge of the penalty area, very focussed, very impressive, and looked superbly athletic. When do young men fully grow into themselves, what kind of age?
    Please cast your kindest gaze over young Mr Elerewe.                                                              
    Totally agree. He’s one of those young players who seems to have everything. He might get bullied by a hairy arsed Fleetwood centre forward on a cold Tuesday evening in January, (as a seventeen year old), but if he continues on the path he’s on right now, he could all the way to the very top. 
  • Options
    I thought we were very good. 

Could have had 4 without a problem. 

A really different vibe in the team and Gunter's best performance for us. 

Very happy with that, the season is finally up and running. 

• Options
    Must admit I felt a bit sorry for Dobson,he has run his legs off in the games he played,and to be fair,who before today has played anywhere near as well as what they did today.It is a long season,there are going to be plenty of times when pretty football is out the window and the Dobsons (and Pratleys) of this world will have a part to play.I think our squad is nearly complete,we have 4 cbs,maybe we need a bit of fb cover,midfield will likely be sorted this week,up front 2 good wingers ,excellent cf plus Washington,with Blackett backing up looking for his chance,onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    I think Dobson has been hiding from the ball and that may be the real issue. You're supposed to be the fulcrum in that position but he's not gone looking for it. 
  • Options
    Had a bit of deja vu when DJ said that everyone was banging on for him to get on the back post when the ball was being crossed from the opposite wing. 

Keith Peacock was given the same advice way back when and it led to a very productive period for him.    
    Such a simple thing to do, not sure what stops wingers from doing it and why some needs to be encouraged to do so.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I think Dobson has been hiding from the ball and that may be the real issue. You're supposed to be the fulcrum in that position but he's not gone looking for it. 
    You may have a point,but his stand out fault to me his he does not know when to dive in for a challenge and when to stand off.In the MKD game he completely lost his head and dived in ,when he had no chance of success and left the defence totally exposed for the Parrot goal.Maybe over enthusiasm to prove himself,but I like his attitude and hope he comes good.
  • Options
    Would also add that Watson was immense on Saturday. Really worked hard and put himself into challenges and was very effective.

Best I've seen him play for us and an asset to the team if he can put in performances like that consistently.
    I have to admit I'm one of his biggest critics but you are spot on with your assessment of him Saturday.