Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Energy Bills

Comments

• Options
    BalladMan said:
    Re point 1, you can come off the tracker on request, so if you're not happy you can exit immediately.

Re point 2, I've been wondering exactly the same. I've no idea why and how I'm paying 30% less than the cap on average. (I joined in February as well).
    If you leave the tracker you cannot rejoin for 9 months. Again, I love it, but timing of joining may not be best at beginning of winter. 

There are a number of factors that are used to calc the energy cap as stated here:  https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/what-is-the-energy-price-cap/#accordion-content-0336620245-8

Charging us to maintain the network, some profit and other random hidden costs. Surely this is what the daily standing charge is for at 30p a day x number of houses in the UK (~8mil per day in standing charges with 26.4 dwellings in the UK). 
    Absolutely, but if I elected to leave the tracker I doubt I'd want to be rejoining it anytime soon.
  • Options
    I feel the point of my original post is lost. Wholesale prices are likely to exceed the price cap in dec (and maybe Jan, the coldest months). If you join and then leave in the next 2 months as costs escalate, you lose the ability to join again in the summer, when typically wholesale prices plummet (due to lower usage). I believe it is all a question of timing. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Energy price cap hike to help suppliers recover record level of unpaid bills

https://news.sky.com/story/energy-price-cap-may-rise-to-help-suppliers-recover-record-level-of-unpaid-bills-13030748

We're all going to have to pay more because so many are unable to pay their bills, yet the companies have all been making big profits. So even more people will be unable to pay their bills if prices are lifted again. Ofgem looking after the interests of the big energy providers over those of the consumer. 

The UK's biggest supplier, British Gas, reported record profits of £969m for the first six months of 2023, up almost 900% from £98m in the same period of 2022.

Meanwhile, French state-owned EDF reported its UK business made profits of almost £2bn for the first half of last year - including the earnings from its nuclear power plants - up from £738m in the same months of 2022.

Scottish Power reported a £576m profit for the first half of the year and E.On made £723m. SSE reported pre-tax profits of £565.2m for the first half of the year.

Simon Francis, coordinator of the group End Fuel Poverty Coalition, argued it was unfair for the regulator to make the majority pay for a failed system.

"This outrageous tax on energy consumers is simply not fair," he said.

"Energy suppliers have posted billions in profits already this year while millions of people struggle in cold damp homes.

"The record levels of energy debt are due to Britain's broken energy system, not the fault of the hard-pressed public.

• Options
    Presumably if you tell your supplier you can't afford to pay then they'll just say ok, we'll take it from everyone else. Problem solved.
  • Options
    If anyone wants to switch to Octopus and their tracker I offered a link a while back. 
    My electricity and gas is still significantly below the government capped price. 
    Both parties get £50 off their bill. 
  • Options
    If anyone wants to switch to Octopus and their tracker I offered a link a while back. 
    My electricity and gas is still significantly below the government capped price. 
    Both parties get £50 off their bill. 
    Wanna buy a watch?
  • Options
    Just had this email through from my energy supplier;

Your electricity meter has reached the end of its life. When this happens there’s a legal obligation to check and exchange your meter with a new one.

Click here to book your appointment today to change your meter to a smart meter:

So, my learned friends on CL, what exactly is this "legal obligation" they've put in bold letters?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Just had this email through from my energy supplier;

Your electricity meter has reached the end of its life. When this happens there’s a legal obligation to check and exchange your meter with a new one.

Click here to book your appointment today to change your meter to a smart meter:

So, my learned friends on CL, what exactly is this "legal obligation" they've put in bold letters?
    Just a scammy way by them to try and get you on a smart meter.

Ignore.

• Options
    Forgive my ignorance but what is the problem with having a smart meter? I have no opinion, I genuinely don’t know. (I have a smart electricity meter and a normal gas one).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2023
    hmmoore said:
    Forgive my ignorance but what is the problem with having a smart meter? I have no opinion, I genuinely don’t know. (I have a smart electricity meter and a normal gas one).
    People have claimed various reasons
    - Data privacy concerns
    - Greater remote control by energy companies (such as switching you to prepay)
    - Don't like being forced to do something they don't like

As per previously posted, I am on a tracker deal with Octopus that requires a smart meter in order to attribute daily fluctuations in the wholesale price.  I am fine with a smart meter (as I can monitor my usage) and the deal has saved me £100s since Feb this year (I am paying 4.07p for gas (cap is 9.5) and 14.34 for electricity (cap is 28.5) today alone). 

Note: for those considering the Octopus tracker, word of warning.  Octopus have already changed the deal for new subscribers earlier in December and how charge wholesale price is calculated.  It is roughly the wholesale price + 2.2p on Elec, and 0.23p on Gas.  Their reasoning is that 'upcoming legislation' which basically means, we offered the deal too low and we need to start making more money. Current subscribers to the tracker deal pre-11th December are unaffected.

I still think that it is a good deal, but not without it's risks (higher daily prices if unforeseen events occur)
  • Options
    Thanks BalladMan
  • Options

Annual energy bills for a typical household are expected to fall by £268 in April, a new forecast suggests.

Consultancy firm Cornwall Insight says bills could drop to £1,660 under the official price cap set by the UK's energy regulator Ofgem.

Energy regulator Ofgem said the typical dual-fuel annual household bill would go up from £1,834 to £1,928 in January, a rise of £94.

In its latest forecast, Cornwall said it expected bills to continue to fall throughout the year, falling to £1,590 in July before a slight increase to £1,640 from October.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67772757

• Options

Domestic energy prices will fall by 16% in April, according to a prediction by consultancy Cornwall Insight, bringing some relief to billpayers.

It said the annual household bill when using a typical amount of gas and electricity was expected to drop from £1,928 to £1,620.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68055884

• Options
    The typical energy bill will fall to £1,690 from April to the lowest for two years under the new price cap set by the regulator.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68353627Energy bills
  • Options
    BalladMan said:
    Will be interesting if new fixed rates are released. The way wholesale prices have stabilised (and reducing) I won’t be biting for a while yet.  

Even with the increases I outlined in December to the Octopus tracker, the average daily rate for the last 6 months has been 19.68p for electricity, 4.54p for gas.  The wholesale price has been very stable over the winter (probably as it had been quite mild). 

In comparison, the proposed April-June price cap rates announced today are 24.5p for electricity and 6.04p for gas. 

I remain confused why the price cap remains 20% higher than the average wholesale rate over 6 months other than ofgem are a complete sham and only exist to line the pockets of energy companies. 
    Did you see British Gas' recent profits...
  • Options
    Standing charges have gone up, Ofgem does not work for the consumer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BalladMan said:
    I remain confused why the price cap remains 20% higher than the average wholesale rate over 6 months other than ofgem are a complete sham and only exist to line the pockets of energy companies. 
    Sadly, I don't think you are confused as you've hit the nail firmly on the head.
  • Options
    It has for pre pay customers in this regard. 
  • Options
    The fact companies are still making money yet customers apparently are in debt to the tune of 3.1bn says it all. Not sure why the standing charge is increasing..........

The price cap a year+ ago was specifically set to allow providers such as BG to claw back the losses from the prior year after taking over failed companies business. Hence why at east in part BG's profits were so high. Still a joke though.

• Options
    It is, but everyone else is paying more as a result. There should never have been higher charges for those on pre-payment meters in the first place, as they are usually the people who struggle to pay their bills the most. The consumer is being ripped off by these private companies who exist to make a profit. Selling off our utilities has been a disaster for the consumer.
  • Options
    Usage is the key driver in anyone's bills. My house in England is 3 bed detached. I don't have the heating on more than 5 hours a day in winter. Annual bills are around £90pcm (capped September 2021 - 3 yrs).
    My house in Sweden has a ground source heat pump system (24 hrs) and is of course fully electric as are all properties in Sweden (pretty much). There the average monthly spend is £500. Bigger house but snow and ice on the ground from November to April, so -20'C is not unusual. Inside my wife likes it at a comfortable 23-25c whereas in England my house is 18-19c.

The way I see it, Brits don't heat their properties properly, whereas other Europeans prioritise. I speak to work colleagues in England who set their thermostats at 14, 12, even 11c, which I think is just self neglect.

I have to admit, I'm pretty miserable sitting in anything under 18c. 
  • Options
    It is, but everyone else is paying more as a result. There should never have been higher charges for those on pre-payment meters in the first place, as they are usually the people who struggle to pay their bills the most. The consumer is being ripped off by these private companies who exist to make a profit. Selling off our utilities has been a disaster for the consumer.
    Sadly we cant actually know that albeit I understand the sentiment.

The reason utilities were privatised originally dates back to the poor state of public services prior to then & the negative impacts of zero competition.

As ever a happy medium is what we all want and these things will likely go in cycles. Interestingly no changes are on the horizon to nationalise any more but hopefully some further regulatory changes will start to correct some of the poorest impacts we have evolved to.
  • Options
    Energy prices: shoot up like a rocket, flutter down like a feather.
  • Options
    Had details through from Octopus about pricing from April.

Gas unit charge is going from 7.421p to 6.111p standing charge from 27.468p to 29.978p
    Elec unit charge is going from 29.728p to 25.721p standing charge from 36.53p to 38.742p

Octopus don't pass on the full increase on the standing charge which is nice, apparently I'll save £575!