Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Energy Bills

Comments

• Options
    I think anyone coming off of a fixed rate deal soon, is in for a big shock.
    Electric?
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    I find people that don't like smart meters sweet in an incredibly patronising way. I threatened to go to the energy ombudsman if mine wasn't upgraded from a SMETS1 to SMETS2, and won. 
    Agree. It’s such a convenience and having the customer display is a real help. 
    In what way are they a real help?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Huskaris said:
    I find people that don't like smart meters sweet in an incredibly patronising way. I threatened to go to the energy ombudsman if mine wasn't upgraded from a SMETS1 to SMETS2, and won. 
    You don't need to submit readings and can see in real time what you are using.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Off_it said:
    Huskaris said:
    Thanks. But I'm still not getting how that's a "real help"?

Do people really sit by their meters all day switching things on and off to see how much energy they are consuming?
  • Options
    I have a smart meter. Only thing it does that I consider useful is sending readings in to my electric company. I don't even have the indoor monitor plugged in. Wouldn't have a clue how much energy boiling a kettle takes and if I did so what? Have noticed I have used less energy since I got rid of the hot tub though 🤔
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Off_it said:
    Huskaris said:
    I can forget about ever looking at my meters or needing to submit readings and can see what I’m using hour by hour, day by day, week, month and year or even appliance by appliance if I can be arsed to do so. I’d say smart meters are not the latest gadget but a really sensible addition. Each to their own. Why wouldn’t you want one would be my question.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Off_it said:
    Huskaris said:
    I can forget about ever looking at my meters or needing to submit readings and can see what I’m using hour by hour, day by day, week, month and year or even appliance by appliance if I can be arsed to do so. I’d say smart meters are not the latest gadget but a really sensible addition. Each to their own. Why wouldn’t you want one would be my question.
    Did you decide to not hoover your house as you noticed you had used X amount of energy already that hour ?

Did you stare at your meter in wonder when the figures went up when you put the washing machine on?

were you previously unaware that the amount of energy used during the night was maybe less per hour than during the day? 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Off_it said:
    Huskaris said:
    Thanks. But I'm still not getting how that's a "real help"?

Do people really sit by their meters all day switching things on and off to see how much energy they are consuming?
    No, but it has made us a lot more aware of our usage. I can keep a track of how much we've spent instead of getting a surprise when the half yearly bill comes in.

I was reluctant to have a smart meter fitted, but now glad we did.
  • Options
    I have a smart meter. Only thing it does that I consider useful is sending readings in to my electric company. I don't even have the indoor monitor plugged in. Wouldn't have a clue how much energy boiling a kettle takes and if I did so what? Have noticed I have used less energy since I got rid of the hot tub though 🤔
    Exactly the same as me. People these days love a bit of data and tech. Like I give a shit about how much it is to boil my kettle. I'm still boiling it regardless. I don't need to look at real time information to know I've left a light on upstairs. I turn the light off before checking the gadget that tells me I've left it on.

I have one by the way but had to for my car charger. I'm glad I'm not spending hour by hour checking my energy use.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oh and another thing. As I've said I have a smart meter. It weren't that long ago someone came round to check our readings because the meter wasnt smart enough to send a certain reading to octopus 🤣
  • Options
    If anyone wants to switch to Octopus (only company recommended by Which), I can send you an introduction link which gives both parties £50 off their bill.

I switched in February to their Octopus Tracker November 2022 v1 and have been paying roughly half the capped price. I would have told everyone on CL, but Octopus withdrew the Tracker the same week I signed up & you had to join a 6 month waiting list, so there was no point in me telling everyone.

I don't know if they still offer some sort of tracker because you have to contact them individually.
    It was a no brainer because you're paying half the price and are allowed to exit the tracker on the same day without notice, when and if the price climbs too high.
  • Options
    Exactly the same as me. People these days love a bit of data and tech. Like I give a shit about how much it is to boil my kettle. I'm still boiling it regardless. I don't need to look at real time information to know I've left a light on upstairs. I turn the light off before checking the gadget that tells me I've left it on.

I have one by the way but had to for my car charger. I'm glad I'm not spending hour by hour checking my energy use.
    But ... but ... but ... think how much you could've saved if you were looking at your latest meter reading instead of using your device to type that out?!

Seriously though. I genuinely do get how some people will find them useful and that's great. But equally surely people can accept that others have no use for them and therefore getting one installed is just an unnecessary faff? That's not unreasonable, is it?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Won’t matter what people want or think. Won’t be too long before they’re compulsory 
  • Options
    Won’t matter what people want or think. Won’t be too long before they’re compulsory 
    Eon tried to make having one a requirement for my fixed tariff, but for whatever reason smart meters don't work in our building so we never got one
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Got one for my electricity, the benefit being that I don't have to shift a sofa and dig about in a corner to read it any more.
    They couldn't replace my ancient gas meter due to a kitchen cupboard having been built around it, the benefit being I can over read when prices are about to go up and under read when prices are about to fall. Tiny amounts but it's always nice to think Im getting one over on Shell.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Just to complicate matters. Fix now ?

• Options
    Just noticed my last 2 eon bills I’ve paid 27.87p per unit electricity and 52.95 standing charge 

7.085 p per unit of gas and 27.72 standing charge. 

Yet my tariffs on eon next flex state I should be paying 
    29.26p per unit for electric and 55.6p standing charge 

7.44p per unit gas and 29.11p standing charge. 

There now offering fixed and flexible deals but non are charger than my actual rate I’m paying which is different to what I should be paying anyone else got different prices on bill to tariff. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I was going to wait until October to fix but if Cornwall Insight are correct I wonder if the fixed deals that are offered in October with the prospect of “substantial “ increases in January and int 2024 are going to be less generous than what’s available now. What does everyone think ? The fall in cap in October is not predicted to be big at all.
  • Options
    I was going to wait until October to fix but if Cornwall Insight are correct I wonder if the fixed deals that are offered in October with the prospect of “substantial “ increases in January and int 2024 are going to be less generous than what’s available now. What does everyone think ? The fall in cap in October is not predicted to be big at all.
    Put it this way, would you be more gutted if you;

a) locked yourself into a deal now and the price went down significantly, or

b) didn't lock yourself in now and the price went up significantly.

Ultimately it's all about what you can afford, now and in the short to mid-term future. Yeah, one way or the other might save you a few quid with hindsight, but nobody's ever wrong with hindsight!

And remember, you don't HAVE to find another deal right now, just because your current one is coming to an end. You could just decide to sit tight and let it ride for a while, but DON'T do that if you're someone who prefers the certainty of paying a set amount for something - even if that turns out to be slightly more than you needed to pay. Peace of mind has a high value.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Forgive my ignorance, but how does what's happening in Australia affect us?
  • Options
    A reduced supply anywhere in the world causes a price increase. 
  • Options
    Yeah I get that, but isn't the uncertainty over a possible strike? The Cornwall Insight snippet just looks like a worst case scenario rather than a prediction. Unless that's what it's meant to be?
  • Options

Every quarter the cap is revised. The next official cap announcement will be made by Ofgem on 25 August and comes into effect on 1 October.

However, from 1 January next year Cornwall forecasts the price cap will rise to £1,979 for the average household bill.

Higher prices than current levels are expected to remain from April 2024 when average bills are anticipated to be £1,915 and from July bills are forecast to be £1,867 a year.

https://news.sky.com/story/ofgem-expected-to-reduce-energy-price-cap-but-rises-ahead-cornwall-insight-says-12942171

• Options
    Which is why the Government's reason for granting new oil and gas licences is so crazy. It will do nothing for energy security in the UK, as it will still be sold on the open market, for the benefit of the fossil fuel producers.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Yeah I get that, but isn't the uncertainty over a possible strike? The Cornwall Insight snippet just looks like a worst case scenario rather than a prediction. Unless that's what it's meant to be?
    The daily variable price I'm paying has gone up @20% in the last week or two. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Croydon said:

Forgive my ignorance, but how does what's happening in Australia affect us?
    For the same reason that more North sea oil doesn't actually benefit us. Everything is sold on the global market.

Edit: seen ME14 has already covered this!
  • Options
    The cost of getting out of a cap isn’t typically too high. 

If risk averse that’s the key figure I think assuming the cap is not currently a million miles off the variable tariff. 

• Options
    Just noticed my last 2 eon bills I’ve paid 27.87p per unit electricity and 52.95 standing charge 

7.085 p per unit of gas and 27.72 standing charge. 

Yet my tariffs on eon next flex state I should be paying 
    29.26p per unit for electric and 55.6p standing charge 

7.44p per unit gas and 29.11p standing charge. 

There now offering fixed and flexible deals but non are charger than my actual rate I’m paying which is different to what I should be paying anyone else got different prices on bill to tariff. 

Looks like one shows the price with, and one without domestic energy VAT rate applied (5%)
  • Options
    Yes think your right one got vat on one not. Changed to eon tracker with no exit fee should safe £50 a month