Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Energy Bills

Comments

• Options
    £15 a day thereabouts all this week.
  • Options
    I’m about £15 a day too this week. 4 bed detached house about 2200 square foot. That’s being sensible with heating as well, but having 3 kids means the washing machine and tumble dryer are permanently on 
  • Options
    Champs85 said:
    I’m about £15 a day too this week. 4 bed detached house about 2200 square foot. That’s being sensible with heating as well, but having 3 kids means the washing machine and tumble dryer are permanently on 

Ours is 4 bed detached too. Had a really bad cold this week but next week the bloody heating is going down a few degrees!!
  • Options
    £322 so far this month, so £20 a day, but mostly been WFH and I like it warm. 5 bed 2700 sqft, cavity wall insulation and a brand new boiler. It'd be triple that with the old boiler.
  • Options
    I said to the wife tonight "get your coat".
    She said "why, are you taking me out?"
    I said no "I'm going out and I'm turning the heating off".

Courtesy of Jim Royle (I think).
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Have caved this last week and had the heating on nearly all day (just with the Hive on around 16), previously I've just been putting more jumpers on etc. but my Son has been off sick so couldnt justify keeping him in the cold, and its now the Christmas Holidays for the next two weeks.

As a result was a bit scared to look @ my Gas Usage this last week, so pleasantly surprised to see £14 is the most I've been charged, and that was partly because I forgot I had Hive on manually, and forgot to turn it off - Doesnt bother me too much in the long run though, getting a wood burning stove installed next month, so hopefully that'll bring the Gas usage back down even more so
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    £322 so far this month, so £20 a day, but mostly been WFH and I like it warm. 5 bed 2700 sqft, cavity wall insulation and a brand new boiler. It'd be triple that with the old boiler.
    It's difficult to keep it in context.

If commute to London it costs me about £25 even if I use my senior railcard. Usually an extra fiver for lunch or a coffee.

Still cheaper for me to WFH and keep warn even in the coldest moments!
  • Options
    What do you do if you don't think your cavity wall insulation isn't working!

Jokes aside, Had it done two years ago and I think it's made absolutely no difference to my usage. I had it put in during the summer so obviously couldn't tell straight after I'd had it done.
    Cost me nothing but can this kind of thing be tested?
  • Options
    Ask them if they'll take it out and then put it back in so you can run a comparison.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:
    I thought I'd bump this thread after a week of extremely cold weather.
    As like others I'm sure I've had some rooms heated and others not if not using them.
    But is it  any good for your health?
    Now have chesty cough and shivers.
    I could be going from one room that's 20c odd out to the kitchen to make a cup of tea in a room that might be 13c at times.

I keep all the house warm .. there again I am on a fixed tariff,  not rock bottom but far better than the Govt fixed lowest rate .. my sympathies, I have come down with the first heavy cold I have had for years, I hate the thought of having to move from warm to cold rooms .. keep as warm as possible clb no point in getting sick to save a few quid .. I suggest setting the empty room's temperature at around18-20c if you can, obviously better than 13c ..  next week's forecast is for warmer weather
  • Options
    Bunging the heating on for a couple of hours in the morning to take the chill off then again about four pm for an hour or two then from then till bed time it's the wood burner on full blast. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    As like others I'm sure I've had some rooms heated and others not if not using them.
    I could be going from one room that's 20c odd out to the kitchen to make a cup of tea in a room that might be 13c at times.

Have you considered setting fire to the rooms you don’t use?
    A. No loss, you don’t use them
    B. You get to warm the remainder of your house for free.
    Win Win
  • Options
    clb74 said:

I keep all the house warm .. there again I am on a fixed tariff,  not rock bottom but far better than the Govt fixed lowest rate .. my sympathies, I have come down with the first heavy cold I have had for years, I hate the thought of having to move from warm to cold rooms .. keep as warm as possible clb no point in getting sick to save a few quid .. I suggest setting the empty room's temperature at around18-20c if you can, obviously better than 13c ..  next week's forecast is for warmer weather
    Cheers Lincs
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    clb74 said:

Have you considered setting fire to the rooms you don’t use?
    A. No loss, you don’t use them
    B. You get to warm the remainder of your house for free.
    Win Win
    They do get used ROTW.
    The small bedroom is the wife's office in the week.
    Bedroom 2 is the laundry room.
    Kitchen/diner does as well at times.
    I'm a lounge man myself so spend most time in there.

• Options
    Ok, fair enough.
    Fit a dynamo to the exercise bike.
  • Options
    Wasn’t looking forward to this months bill with the cold weather last week. Got email from eon this morning £400 for month.think I’ll move to Tenerife or somewhere warm. 
  • Options
    Has anyone received anything from their energy companies about their bills going down this summer? Isn't the price cap reduction supposed to be coming in or has that been quietly dropped? Could do with some reduced bills with a rather unpleasant rise in mortgage costs coming in next month!
  • Options
    Need to understand why, not checked it over yet but Scottish Power want £1200 for the last qtr ....
  • Options
    Has anyone received anything from their energy companies about their bills going down this summer? Isn't the price cap reduction supposed to be coming in or has that been quietly dropped? Could do with some reduced bills with a rather unpleasant rise in mortgage costs coming in next month!

Shell energy: electricity down from 33.517 to 30.295p per unit, gas 10.411 to 7.607. Standing charges unchanged.
    Octopus: essentially the same
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes, Octopus have reduced my monthly direct debit by £125.
  • Options
    Mines gong from £86 to £80  B)

Although I am £600 in credit, might ask for it back and earn some interest on it 
  • Options
    Received a couple of emails from British Gas saying they will be offering fixed deals again shortly and to watch this space.
  • Options
    'kin hell .
    Reckon Debbie Harry had to get planning permission for the work she's had done!
  • Options
    'kin hell .
    Reckon Debbie Harry had to get planning permission for the work she's had done!

Must be expensive as well and she's likely to have trouble paying her energy bills.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    I’m going to wait till July, and see what fixed deals are available, I’ve had the standard email from Octopus to say prices will be falling in July (they also say that I’m paying twice as much than I was before the prices went crazy) I think we’re going to have to get used to the fact of paying much higher prices than we used to, however the energy companies spin it.
  • Options
    Being nice and rural with a heavy dependance on electric (14,000kW/year), the price cap has come down from just over 32p/KwH to 30p..........whoop-dee-fucking-doo!  Shove that in with food and mortgage cost inflation and it's a veritable clusterfcuk!

It feels more and more like the Govt/BoE are engineering a reset/recession, but they need to be careful that they don't drag too much of the nation down as firms can't keep inflating salaries (more inflation), can't borrow (rates too high) and have a reduced marketplace for their goods and services (Brexit).............the outlook certainly looks pretty bleak to me or maybe I'm just becoming a miserable git!?!
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Davey said:
    Being nice and rural with a heavy dependance on electric (14,000kW/year), the price cap has come down from just over 32p/KwH to 30p..........whoop-dee-fucking-doo!  Shove that in with food and mortgage cost inflation and it's a veritable clusterfcuk!

It feels more and more like the Govt/BoE are engineering a reset/recession, but they need to be careful that they don't drag too much of the nation down as firms can't keep inflating salaries (more inflation), can't borrow (rates too high) and have a reduced marketplace for their goods and services (Brexit).............the outlook certainly looks pretty bleak to me or maybe I'm just becoming a miserable git!?!
    British Gas says my standing charge will stay the same (rip-off) but price of electricity dropping from 34.175p to 30.900p per kwh. 5,600kwh per annum is my usage.
  • Options
    Davey said:

British Gas says my standing charge will stay the same (rip-off) but price of electricity dropping from 34.175p to 30.900p per kwh. 5,600kwh per annum is my usage.
    Same, gas is coming down around a quarter I think from just over 10p.