Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Energy Bills

Comments

• Options

The value of discounts on electricity bills for households that cut peak-time use is to be raised, National Grid ESO has said.

Households will be paid £3 per kilowatt hour instead of 52p, if they avoid high-power activities, such as cooking, when demand is high, the firm said.

Energy firms Octopus and E.On had said the 52p payment to incentivise customers to sign up was too low.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63329233

• Options

Households will be offered discounts on their electricity bills if they cut peak-time use on a handful of days over the winter, as part of National Grid's efforts to avoid blackouts.

The network operator has announced details of the scheme, which it said could save households up to £100.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63483668

• Options
    I've given in & put the heating on.
    I checked the forecast and it's down to 5C overnight, which is the coldest it has been & will be for at least the next 2 weeks.
  • Options
    clive said:

The value of discounts on electricity bills for households that cut peak-time use is to be raised, National Grid ESO has said.

Households will be paid £3 per kilowatt hour instead of 52p, if they avoid high-power activities, such as cooking, when demand is high, the firm said.

Energy firms Octopus and E.On had said the 52p payment to incentivise customers to sign up was too low.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63329233

Bit late to the party with this, but isnt this a little bit pointless?

Unless I'm missing something, like how if everyone purchases priority boarding for EasyJet etc. it suddenly just becomes pointless, and a waste of money because everyone has the option, so becomes normal boarding.

Same with using electricity during "off-peak" times... If everyone does it, then doesnt it suddenly become peak time?
  • Options
    Wow, talk about a big jump, last October paid £150 for gas & electric, this year £547 and we’ve had the aga taken out , which cut gas units used by 75% 👀
  • Options
    I've given in & put the heating on.
    I checked the forecast and it's down to 5C overnight, which is the coldest it has been & will be for at least the next 2 weeks.
    Smart meter gone up 30p in about 20 mins.
  • Options
    Smart meter is showing the cost as £1 per hour.
  • Options
    Turn it  off! Turn it off!

Don't make the super rich and oligarchs even wealthier.

Save money. Go to bed and treat your missus to an early night. winky winky :smiley:

• Options
    I wonder if the nations usage is less or comparable to last year ?

Impression is that more are consciously resisting turning the heating on and it’s been relatively mild but is that the reality?

I guess under usage is good for our fuel securirty currently if true. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Oggy Red said:

Save money. Go to bed and treat your missus to an early night. winky winky :smiley:

Actually that's £3.40 in 2.5 hours, so £1.40ish per hour.
    Fortunately I can afford it, but feel for those that can't. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Anyone tried the clay flowerpot and tea candles yet?
  • Options
    No central heating for us.

The candles on Mr F's birthday cake are doing the trick tonight.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Cant we even say Ovaltine these days?
  • Options
    I’m wondering if we can have the B’Stards up on a Human Rights issue?

Surely it’s everyone’s right to keep warm in the winter, I think I’ll give it a go.
  • Options
    No central heating for us.

The candles on Mr F's birthday cake are doing the trick tonight.
    Happy Birthday, Mr Fanackapan. Perhaps don't blow the candles out until bedtime? :smile:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Cant we even say Ovaltine these days?
    Horlicks to you, mate. :smile:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Even those that can afford it, how many of them will be having the heating on all day?
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    clb74 said:
    Oggy Red said:

Even those that can afford it, how many of them will be having the heating on all day?
    At weekends mines on all day, but the house is very well insulated (wall and roofs etc) - so in reality although the heating is on all day the boiler isn't firing for a lot of the time.

I have Hive which is very good for monitoring usage.
  • Options
    If you have wooden windows that aren't new I'd recommend putting new draught excluder tape round them. The reduction in chill I got from doing that to my old single glazed casement windows and doors is very noticeable. 
    There was tape there already, but it was old and compressed. It's a very cheap, simple and satisfying job that produces instant benefits.
    Screwfix is your friend.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Have moved into our new property and just received our first energy bill. £945 for less than a month's worth. Pretty stunned at that. It's a cold house but we only have the heating on for two hours in the morning. 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Were you given a meter reading when you moved in? Has the property been used before or is it a new build? Maybe the builders have been using the energy and not given you correct readings when you moved in?  
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    IdleHans said:
    If you have wooden windows that aren't new I'd recommend putting new draught excluder tape round them. The reduction in chill I got from doing that to my old single glazed casement windows and doors is very noticeable. 
    There was tape there already, but it was old and compressed. It's a very cheap, simple and satisfying job that produces instant benefits.
    Screwfix is your friend.
    How do you see out of them?

• Options
    On a slightly different subject. Today I paid £1.63 per litre of diesel from an independent garage, our local Asda is charging £1.80. 

I'm starting to think that we are getting the piss takn out of us regarding fuel. Surely the government needs to start taking urgent action to manage this cost of living crisis. Think we need an uprising 😤
  • Options
    On a slightly different subject. Today I paid £1.63 per litre of diesel from an independent garage, our local Asda is charging £1.80. 

I'm starting to think that we are getting the piss takn out of us regarding fuel. Surely the government needs to start taking urgent action to manage this cost of living crisis. Think we need an uprising 😤
    The government will drag out any intervention for as long as possible. They are making money out of the high prices.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Exactly 😞

• Options
    I would urge anybody that is facing financial hardship to have a conversation, or several conversations with their energy supplier. I do appreciate that some like British Gas, seem to be overwhelmed by the situation.

We have applied for the warm home discount scheme, and been supported by Octopus as we have a terraced victorian house, and there is a limitation on heat saving , besides insulation, and  better quality windows/doors, when you have a poly carbon roof on your conservatory, and an 18 year old boiler as in our particular case. Despite considerable research, we have been trying to get. a new boiler with any grants towards a replacement, not for 'free' but an allowance towards a new boiler. Despite talk, they are very difficult to obtain, unless you want a charge against your house, which we will not consider.
    Surely, making your home as efficient as possible has to be a primary target on a national campaign.

We have obtained some free heated blankets from Octopus, being over 70, and having had one  knee cap replacement  this  July, with the other knee cap to be replaced in ????????, mainly due to playing football/tennis as a youngster, and running football teams in my 40's, but then that was my choice!.

My heart goes out to folk who are struggling, especially with young families, and those poor folk with medical equipment  to run, hopefully they are getting some assistance. ?.
    As I started off by mentioning, speak to your local council and  energy supplier, and seek advice from relevant agencies such as citizens advice, there will  be a  process to go through but you can but ask?

Apparently British Gas has financial access to funds,..... its just a pity they have failed to keep my  boiler service appointment twice this year that I pay £250 plus through there 'Home care agreement' because they have a staff shortage!. I could have paid for a new boiler in the time I have lived here in subscriptions. 

This happened to us in consecutive years - three times they didn't turn up in one of those years and once they didn't even bother telling us they weren't coming. We came to the conclusion that we were better to "self-insure". 
  • Options
    I would urge anybody that is facing financial hardship to have a conversation, or several conversations with their energy supplier. I do appreciate that some like British Gas, seem to be overwhelmed by the situation.

We have applied for the warm home discount scheme, and been supported by Octopus as we have a terraced victorian house, and there is a limitation on heat saving , besides insulation, and  better quality windows/doors, when you have a poly carbon roof on your conservatory, and an 18 year old boiler as in our particular case. Despite considerable research, we have been trying to get. a new boiler with any grants towards a replacement, not for 'free' but an allowance towards a new boiler. Despite talk, they are very difficult to obtain, unless you want a charge against your house, which we will not consider.
    Surely, making your home as efficient as possible has to be a primary target on a national campaign.

We have obtained some free heated blankets from Octopus, being over 70, and having had one  knee cap replacement  this  July, with the other knee cap to be replaced in ????????, mainly due to playing football/tennis as a youngster, and running football teams in my 40's, but then that was my choice!.

My heart goes out to folk who are struggling, especially with young families, and those poor folk with medical equipment  to run, hopefully they are getting some assistance. ?.
    As I started off by mentioning, speak to your local council and  energy supplier, and seek advice from relevant agencies such as citizens advice, there will  be a  process to go through but you can but ask?

Apparently British Gas has financial access to funds,..... its just a pity they have failed to keep my  boiler service appointment twice this year that I pay £250 plus through there 'Home care agreement' because they have a staff shortage!. I could have paid for a new boiler in the time I have lived here in subscriptions. 

This happened to us in consecutive years - three times they didn't turn up in one of those years and once they didn't even bother telling us they weren't coming. We came to the conclusion that we were better to "self-insure". 
    I’d be demanding a refund from BG for this.  I have mine through Corgi and they state that the check itself costs £60. Had mine refunded when they couldn’t attend during covid. 
  • Options
    Electricity bill up 60% on November 2021, it’s getting ridiculous!