Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Energy Bills

Comments

• Options
    As I mentioned I think many months ago in this thread EDF wanted us to renew our tariff at £546 or something similarly stupid. I refused. So Have been paying monthly. But last two month they ignored my reading and didn’t issue a bill. But they finally issued a bill for 1 July to 28 September for £386. I am so glad we didn’t renew that tariff. I’d rather the money stays in our account and not theirs. Felt like a bit of result. 

I see the Ninja’s are still out of stock! 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Bought a Tower slow cooker last week. £24.99 (half price, from TX Max). So far so good. Incredibly simple to use, really works well, and will save a bomb on the bills. 
    Have also ordered a Ninja Air fryer. Have friends who absolutely swear by them. They make life easier, and again are very energy efficient compared to the alternatives.
    I had a slow cooker gathering dust for ages .. started to use it again a few weeks back, VERY good for a nice casserole/stew .. I have been no more ambitions than that so far

• Options
    Mmmmm! Sounds lovely ! 

Might have to give this a go.

Have used ours for years, cooking chicken or beef casseroles, Bolognese & recently chorizo stews . 

Batch cook, portion up & freeze. 

Simples. 
  • Options
    What’s Sriracha?
  • Options
    What’s Sriracha?
    A type of chilli sauce - bit like Tabasco. You can get it in any supermarket.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Apologies, I thought this thread was about energy prices and the like but it seems I've stumbled across the Delia Smith recipe thread instead!

It's about how you can save money on your energy bills by buying an airfryer and cooking delicious meals  :D
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Apologies, I thought this thread was about energy prices and the like but it seems I've stumbled across the Delia Smith recipe thread instead!

It's about how you can save money on your energy bills by buying an airfryer and cooking delicious meals  :D
    All very welcome, IMO.
  • Options
    bargain very basic Tower air fryer at Iceland

Iceland Discount Codes September 2022 - MoneySavingExpert
  • Options
    We got the tower air fryer with the rotisserie loverly chicken cooked in it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We got the tower air fryer with the rotisserie loverly chicken cooked in it. 
    It comes with a free cooked chicken !! Bargain.  :D
  • Options
    Haven’t checked into this thread for a while, anything cooking?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    I always take photos of the readings anyway, but at the moment they aren't replying to my emails so it doesnt matter what's in them.

I'm pretty laid back about it because it should all come out in the wash eventually, but my monthly payments went up from £160 to £500+, so even though I knew it would go up (and probably wasnt paying enough to start with - but that's what they wanted) it's still a bit rich!

Would love to know what algorithms they use for working out what the direct debits will be because over the past 20+ years I always end up in credit and they are always slow in paying me back. It's like they work out an amount and then add 20% for good measure as it all helps their cash flow.
    My dual fuel payments are jumping from £224 pcm to £662 pcm. I think they might be using a similar algorithm that determines a charging structure of £37 for a bottom half of the table L1 side
  • Options
    Can you do frozen pies in them? My local butcher does fabulous 6" diameter pies which are sublime
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Can you do frozen pies in them? My local butcher does fabulous 6" diameter pies which are sublime
    best to let them thaw first
  • Options
    Checked my bank account this morning and surprised to find a £66 credit from EDF, as I thought that this was supposed to have come off the bill each month.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Checked my bank account this morning and surprised to find a £66 credit from EDF, as I thought that this was supposed to have come off the bill each month.
    EDF are one of the providers who if you pay by DD are crediting your bank account, I'm with them but not had anything yet.

Details here;

https://www.edfenergy.com/for-home/energy-bills-support-scheme
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    EDF are one of the providers who if you pay by DD are crediting your bank account, I'm with them but not had anything yet.

Details here;

this .. I pay my bill at the very end of the month so am due a rebate at the end of October after Oct's d d is paid
  • Options
    I was given an air fryer by my eldest son for my birthday. I would really recommend getting one as my wife absolutely loves cooking with it. Who said that present was wasted on me?
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Details here;

My DD is paid on 1st day of the month, so I presume that the payment triggers the credit back to the bank account.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    a comprehensive Which rundown of air fryers .. disappointing that the Ninja 300 is given a poorish rating, they must have found a feeling poorly on the day Ninja  

Ninja Foodi vs Tower Air fryer vs Tefal Actifry: which one should you buy?

See how Ninja, Tower and Tefal stack up against each other to make the tastiest low-oil foods with minimal fuss – and find out which brand makes the best chips
    MV
    Manca Virant

Since the first air fryer was unveiled in 2010, many brands have entered the fray, thanks to high demand from buyers looking for low-oil, countertop cooking. 

Every year, we test air fryers from all the major brands, including Ninja, Tower and Tefal. We also test products from brands such as Philips, DeLonghi, Morphy Richards and Russell Hobbs. We rigorously test each fryer, looking for the ones that are easy to use and which make tasty air-fried food.

Head to our shortlist of the best air fryers to see which ones came top in our tests.

Ninja vs Tower vs Tefal – features compared

Woman using an air fryer

Tefal was the first brand to launch a low-fat fryer– the ActiFry – around 10 years ago, closely followed by Philips with its Airfryer. More recently, Ninja and Tower both tried to get a slice of the pie, too.

Ninja Foodi

• Ninja sells the Ninja AF100UK at just under £100 as its basic offering, but have since released the Ninja Foodi Dual Zone (£199) and Ninja Foodi MAX (£199).
    • Premium Ninja air fryers come with extra bells and whistles. The Foodi Dual Zone has two chambers that can cook independently of one another, and the Foodi MAX functions like a grill, with a probe that monitors food temperature for optimal timings.
    • The Ninja Foodi Multi-Cooker can grill, slow cook, bake, roast, steam, sauté and air-fry your food – it even works as an electric pressure cooker. 
    • Ninja air fryers don't have viewing windows. If you're a keen watcher, you'll be pausing it often to check on your food. 
    • Ninja products come with a 12-month warranty, which is less than Tower and Tefal air fryers.

Our Ninja Foodi air fryer reviews will let you know how they performed in our test lab.

Tefal ActiFry

• Tefal ActiFry models cost from around £80 to just under £280. The Easy Fry range is cheaper than the ActiFry range. 
    • A higher price gets you a larger cooking capacity – up to 1.7kg with the Tefal ActiFry Genius XL – and advanced features, such as the extra cooking layer of the Tefal ActiFry Genius XL 2in1.
    • Easy Fry models are opaque, but ActiFry models have a viewing window at the top so you can see your food browning.
    • Tefal offers a two-year guarantee on new air fryer purchases. 

Read our Tefal air fryer reviews to find a great model from the original brand.

Tower Air fryers

See our Tower air fryer reviews to find out how they fared in our tough lab tests.

Which brand is best?

In the table below, we've brought together all our expert knowledge to give you the verdict on which brand is best, including:

• How well each brand's air fryers performed on average in our tough tests
    • What each brand's highest and lowest-scoring air fryers earned in our test lab
    • How much each brand's highest-capacity air fryer is capable of cooking in kilograms
    • Our overall verdict

Only logged-in Which? members can see our verdicts in the table below. If you’re not yet a member, join Which? to get instant access.

Air fryer brands rated

BrandAverage test scoreTest score rangeAverage star rating for cooking chipsAverage star rating for cooking chickenAverage star rating for ease of useHighest capacity air fryer
    Ninja (8)75%67%-84%
    ★★★★☆
    ★★★★★
    ★★★★☆
    2.2 kg
    Tefal (7)72%56%-84%
    ★★★★☆
    ★★★★★
    ★★★★☆
    1.7 kg
    Tower (5)56%53%-60%
    ★★★★☆
    ★★★★☆
    ★★★☆☆
    0.9 kg

Table notes: data collected from models online in September 2022. The number of products tested is displayed in brackets.

Brand verdicts

1. Ninja

• Our top pick Although it's a latecomer to the market, Ninja's air fryers are typically high performers and fantastic at making a batch of chips. 
    • Its average test score is boosted by the Ninja Foodi MAX, one of the best air fryers on test, but the smaller and cheaper Ninja AF100UK, another Best Buy, bolsters it, too. 
    • Ninja's only disappointing product so far is the Ninja Foodi Multi-Cooker OP300UK, which is an air fryer-pressure cooker hybrid. Overall, Ninja is the brand to beat.
    • But be careful. As of July 2021, Ninja is the only brand of the three to offer only a one-year warranty rather than two or three years. 

2. Tefal

• Our top alternative Tefal air fryers are among the best on test, but the brand's average test score is lower than Ninja's because Tefal has saturated the market with some air fryers that aren't worth buying. 
    • The Tefal ActiFry Genius XL 2in1 was the first air fryer to have two cooking chambers, and it's still one of the best air fryers you can buy. The Tefal ActiFry Genius + and Tefal Genius XL are brilliant air fryers that don't dominate the countertop. 
    • Tefal's cheaper models can disappoint, such as the Tefal Easy Fry Precision.
    • Tefal offers a two-year guarantee on its air fryers. 

3. Tower

• Tower has struggled to keep up with its competitors more recently, and none of its air fryers is a Best Buy.
    • From digital displays and multi-tier cooking system to rotisserie oven and dehydrator functions, Tower offers plenty, but struggles when it comes to the basics.
    • But it's not all negative – Tower air fryers are less prone to faults than most, with only 7% developing a fault in the first seven years, according to our air fryer owner survey conducted in May 2022, making it a low-risk choice for brand loyalists.
    • Tower offers a three-year guarantee which is more generous than Ninja's one-year guarantee or Tefal's two-year guarantee.

Top Ninja air fryer

• BEST BUY
      Ninja Foodi MAX AG551UK

Ninja

Foodi MAX AG551UK

Test score

84%

Simply one of the best air fryers we’ve tested thanks to its many functions, the ingenuity of its ‘smart cooking system’, and its excellent cooking performance.

Read full review

Top Tefal air fryer

• BEST BUY
      Tefal Actifry Genius XL 2in1 YV970840

Tefal

Actifry Genius XL 2in1 YV970840

Test score

84%

This air fryer is impressive in every measure – cooking amazing chips and chicken quickly, with easy-to-use controls and it's all dishwasher safe.

Read full review

Top Tower air fryer

• Tower T17039 Vortx 5-in-1 11L Digital Air Fryer Oven-in-1 SmartLid Multi-Cooker

Tower

T17039 Vortx 5-in-1 11L Digital Air Fryer Oven-in-1 SmartLid Multi-Cooker

Test score

60%

Although it's bulky and not the most energy efficient air fryer we've tested, it's extremely versatile and can be used as an air fryer or a rotisserie oven. On top of that, it makes excellent chicken and tasty chips.

• Options
    I'm with Eon and they have deducted the amount from what they are taking by direct debit.
  • Options
    No call it air fryer cooking. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Caught some of the Nick Ferrari show on the way to work this morning and they were talking about the energy companies offering £10 to those with smart meters who use their appliances like washing machines / dishwashers and other high energy bits of kit overnight when demand for energy is at its lowest. Didn’t here much detail but interesting ? 
  • Options

Caught some of the Nick Ferrari show on the way to work this morning and they were talking about the energy companies offering £10 to those with smart meters who use their appliances like washing machines / dishwashers and other high energy bits of kit overnight when demand for energy is at its lowest. Didn’t here much detail but interesting ? 
    It seems there was a whole campaign produced to advise on energy efficiency but apparently No10 have blocked it. Not sure why - assuming it has something to do with health and not encouraging vulnerable people to turn off their heating. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

It seems there was a whole campaign produced to advise on energy efficiency but apparently No10 have blocked it. Not sure why - assuming it has something to do with health and not encouraging vulnerable people to turn off their heating. 
    Or / as well because if they give this advice (despite it being in the national interest to smooth demand) opposition parties will try and make political gain from it. 

Damned if they do. Damned if they don’t. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    bobmunro said:

Or / as well because if they give this advice (despite it being in the national interest to smooth demand) opposition parties will try and make political gain from it. 

I’m afraid those are the trials and tribulations of being in power. It doesn’t mean you say fuck all because you’re too scared to take the perceived criticism.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

I’m afraid those are the trials and tribulations of being in power. It doesn’t mean you say fuck all because you’re too scared to take the perceived criticism.
    Quite agree. 

It’s a shame our political parties and system means they have to wage a war with each other on whatever the topic rather than collaborate more. 

Not everything is bad, not everything is good. Compromise and concessions are always needed. 

The constant bickering on all sides is unhelpful but was ever thus I guess.