Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Deji Elerewe - won League One Apprentice of the year at EFL 2022 Awards (p11)

Comments

• Options
    Last night was a bit of a reality check, with Deji having a bit of a mare. All young players will have bad games of course, but it's a reminder that he's a kid, and it's unrealistic to expect him to go straight into the first team and play 25 games this season.

Brownie was interesting when he was talking about Deji's weakness in heading, how he sometimes misjudges the flight of the ball. Something he can sort in training of course, but in L1 you need your CBs to cope with the high crosses and punts up field
    Tough one for him. He's made, what, 7 professional appearances and just turned 18 two months ago. Despite that he's gone into last night's game as the more senior centre half alongside a teenage debutant and a left back playing in the middle. Normally someone that young would be relying a lot on the senior centre backs talking to him and directing him round but he's not had that to support him here. He'll be alright with the heading thing, Kurt Zouma had that problem when he first came to Chelsea and now he's basically a battering ram with a face, just takes a little time
    The defence really missed an older head to organise the defence and to gee him up after he made earlier mistakes, as you can imagine his head dropping.

Souare should have been that more senior pro, but he's not a natural in that position either, he'd much rather be galloping down the wing where Clayden was playing.
    Can't think of many players less suited to that CB role than Souare to be honest. Purrington would be decent at it but Souare is a proper out and out attacking full back and he would not have been put near that if not for the fact we were clearly seeing how much weird stuff we could do yesterday.
  • Options
    Poor last night. Disappointing. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    So how do you pronounce his surname?

Im saying Ell er u, is that right?
    Ellie Rare We

Would be my guess
    Commentators go with EELERRAWEE
    Terry does, Greg says El air way. 
    Pronunciations of players' names is by far the hardest task for us IMO. The higher up you go the more access you are given by the Premier League/UEFA etc as to how to say certain names.

My go to for our level, is to find video footage (where possible) of players announcing their names. A prime example being Akin, who when signed said "my name is Akin Fam-wo..."

If we manage to come across the player, we'll get them to tell us what it is if it's a bit tricky. Although weirdly in the case of Leko, we've been told he says both Lee-ko and Lek-ko, which makes it even tougher...

For Deji, i've tried my hardest to replicate his pronunciation here in the video below (0:15) - granted it's probably not 100% on my part, but certainly as close as I can get it:

Can't be easy. Sounds like 'El air away' from that. One that has been a slight frustration to listen to is the pronunciation of MacGillivray. Most of the time it sounds like you're both saying 'Mac gill very', unless that's how it meant to be and not how it's written? 
  • Options
    Talal said:

Ellie Rare We

Would be my guess
    Pronunciations of players' names is by far the hardest task for us IMO. The higher up you go the more access you are given by the Premier League/UEFA etc as to how to say certain names.

My go to for our level, is to find video footage (where possible) of players announcing their names. A prime example being Akin, who when signed said "my name is Akin Fam-wo..."

If we manage to come across the player, we'll get them to tell us what it is if it's a bit tricky. Although weirdly in the case of Leko, we've been told he says both Lee-ko and Lek-ko, which makes it even tougher...

For Deji, i've tried my hardest to replicate his pronunciation here in the video below (0:15) - granted it's probably not 100% on my part, but certainly as close as I can get it:

It's an easy name to pronounce

Dench
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Talal said:

Ellie Rare We

Would be my guess

Can't be easy. Sounds like 'El air away' from that. One that has been a slight frustration to listen to is the pronunciation of MacGillivray. Most of the time it sounds like you're both saying 'Mac gill very', unless that's how it meant to be and not how it's written? 
    Yeah a really tough one that (especially to say it quickly!). Another example of it being said slightly differently depending where you're from/preference. He says it here, so hence our attempts!

We should be able to track him down shortly and get him to say it to us slowly so watch this space 🤣
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Talal said:

Ellie Rare We

Would be my guess

Yeah a really tough one that (especially to say it quickly!). Another example of it being said slightly differently depending where you're from/preference. He says it here, so hence our attempts!

We should be able to track him down shortly and get him to say it to us slowly so watch this space 🤣
    Does sound more like 'Mac gill very' there in fairness so looks like you're bang on!
  • Options
    Talal said:

Ellie Rare We

Would be my guess

It's an easy name to pronounce

Dench
    Emmanuel Frimpong never had any problems saying it. 

• Options
    Talal said:
    Talal said:

Ellie Rare We

Would be my guess

Air is slightly too long a vowel sound I think, more eh, so El-eh-rer-way. With McGillivray I can't spell it half the time, let alone pronounce it, so tend to just go with McG on the match threads :)
  • Options
    Deji Elerewe is an intelligent lad with lots of Ambition. If he wants to be a Premier player in the future then he will force his way into a 3rd tier team ahead of the other CB's at cafc now he is 18. 

Personally, I don't think that Deji having a poor game in a poor team performance in a dead rubber game ( other than playing at home in next match) was a bad thing. 

When you go from a Successful U18'S team to the U23 where you are going from playing in a team with 16/17 year olds and lads who are just passed their 18th birthday to playing against a seasoned Striker similar to Stockley (A first team player coming back from injury) with their added strength then welcome to men's football.

Deji has already played 1st team football at 17 so we know he can handle it. In a JJ side he will find consistency and continue to improve. I would expect him to play most games from about February onwards.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good on him. Hope he gave us three penalties and sent four of theirs off! 
  • Options
    Since signing his contract Deji seems to have gone out to about fifth or sixth choice CB (if if you count Clare in the mix).  Maybe not the progression he imagined?  Will be interesting to see if he gets game time in the coming months with next season in mind given that we will possibly lose Pearce, Famewo and Innes from the roster and he could find himself a first pick. 
  • Options
    Great recognition for Deje and the academy.
  • Options
    Any idea when he got injured? Haven’t seen his name in any squad since Gateshead match.
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Tremendous news … for us and hopefully him.

On paper we have the opportunity to have the finest crop of youth team graduates in our history.

- Beadle
    - Eleware
    - Henry
    - Anderson
    - Kanu 
    - Burstow

if we can get them all tied down it could be the start of an exciting era for the club. No pressure JJ ☺️

Even allowing for the fact that 2 of them have since gone, i think this is vastly overstating how good they are.

In the 80s we reached the FA Youth cup final and had Minto, Pitcher, Leaburn, Micky Bennett, Paul Bacon.

A decade ago we played Man U with Dillon Phillips, Ajayi, Cousins, Morgan Fox, Piggott, Harriott, Azeez, that's a phenomenal number from the same team who have all gone on to have decent league careers. Poyet also played too.
  • Options
    Ok, fair enough but surely the fact that two have already gone to the Prem backs up how much potential they have.

Kanu & Henry also had Prem clubs after them and I think Karoy could have chosen Utd.

At this stage it’s only potential, but IMO the potential of this group is very high and that’s not accounting for Campbel, Adigun, Santos, Leaburn and Bakrin.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Deji's doing A Level Maths? That ain't no joke. Must be a bright kid.
  • Options
    Well done to Deji.  What a fine young man he sounds.  Plus a big well done to the club who have nurtured him and his peers so well.  Lots of people behind the scenes that most fans (like myself) never hear about.
  • Options
    let's hope he gets a lot more first team games next season .. alongside Lavelle (that is if the latter can stay fit)
  • Options
    let's hope he gets a lot more first team games next season .. alongside Lavelle (that is if the latter can stay fit)
    I think Deji's been out injured just as long as him this season! The curse!

Well done Deji. Anybody know where he's studying? 
  • Options
    great news
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    mendonca said:
    I think Deji's been out injured just as long as him this season! The curse!

Well done Deji. Anybody know where he's studying? 

Deji is at the London South East college in Rookery lane, Bromley.

When he was younger he went to the Royal Russel school in Coombe Lane, Addington hills in the green part of Croydon.
  • Options
    He will in future be studying at the Chelsea Academy.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    He will in future be studying at the Chelsea Academy.

I believe the Chelsea academy is already over subscribed !