Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Insulate Britain Protests (Blackwall Tunnel p22)

Comments

• iainment said:
    These people will 100% be on the right side of history when all is said and done

The inconvenience these people are causing will be nothing compared to the "inconvenience" of doing nothing about climate change
    They may well be on the right side of history. 
    We all agree something needs to be done.
    But.
    Instead of pissing of Joe public going about their business target politicians and large companies that are causing pollution. 
    At the moment instead of getting people on their side they are pissing people of with their actions. 
    There were some in the Valley who had similar arguments against CARD protests disrupting games. Should there have been no demonstrations against Duchatelet that effected them?
    As far as I'm aware the CARD protests at the valley never stopped people from reaching hospital. 
    That's because we only protested outside pre and post match.

The ambulances normally leave with the injured players whilst the game is still going on.
  • edited September 2021
    I must say I admire the patience of these drivers held up from work, travel, and freedom of movement, and also as we have heard emergency vehicles, the whole arse up scenario, I can see these blockages being "sorted out" soon by some people with perhaps not so much understanding of the protesters, when their patience boils over,...get it sorted police, and drag these people off the public highway before someone else does.
    Also, on an aside the line being put about "save the planet",...well, "The Planet" is perfectly happy and will sort itself out as it has for millions of years..
  • I must say I admire the patience of these drivers held up from work, travel, and freedom of movement, and also as we have heard emergency vehicles, the whole arse up scenario, I can see these blockages being "sorted out" soon by some people with perhaps not so much understanding of the protesters, when their patience boils over,...get it sorted police, and drag these people off the public highway before someone else does.
    Also, on an aside the line being put about "save the planet",...well, "The Planet" is perfectly happy and will sort itself out as it has for millions of years..
    Here we go!
  • Chuck a few bars of soap in to the middle of the protesters.

Rapid dispersing will commence shortly afterwards.
    They all come from Croydon. 
    Who'd a thought it. 
  • edited September 2021
    Hope there's no repeat tomorrow as I'm off to an auction in Southend. #selfishbastard.
  • edited September 2021
    Gribbo said:
    These people will 100% be on the right side of history when all is said and done

The inconvenience these people are causing will be nothing compared to the "inconvenience" of doing nothing about climate change
    I think you're the one missing the point - this inconvenience that is being caused won't do ANYTHING to affect the problem. Things are are already in place that are going to affect the problem, but they can only be done systematically. That is the point. 

What about the people who are effected by this, who are meant to be at the hospital today? Will they just be collateral damage if anything serious happens?
    The things in place to do something about this systematically isn't nearly enough. If radical change isn't enacted, not just some "net 0 by 2050" bullshit targets, it's gonna get a whole lot worse, like apocalypse level worse. Radical change doesn't come by the changing the status quo slightly

What happens when the gulf stream collapses and northern Europe is plunged into 9 months of winter? Or when countries become inhospitable because of the heat? Or when crops can't be grown because we don't have enough water?

On your last point, yeah it's shitty that someone might be late to a hospital appointment, but there is literally traffic every single day caused by a myriad of things. It's just cos people want to paint these people as being "woke hippy idiots" that it gets so much attention. Which is a good thing for the cause.

However, I'm no campaigner and I don't have any experience in anything like this, so not sure that this is the most worthwhile thing to do but if it gets them attention and furthers their cause then 🤷‍♀️
    No one is arguing with that, but the points still stand - 

- What is direct action aimed at the public going to do to make the Government speed things up?
    - What can the government do to speed things up, baring in mind the complexed factors that have to be considered before implementing any changes.

Watch the end of the video Clive shared on previous page. People are largely in agreement, so why are they the ones being targeted?

It all just seems like a protest for the sake of it
  • Sponsored links:

• Do the protesters move if an ambulance or fire engine need to pass
  • Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

I think you're the one missing the point - this inconvenience that is being caused won't do ANYTHING to affect the problem. Things are are already in place that are going to affect the problem, but they can only be done systematically. That is the point. 

What about the people who are effected by this, who are meant to be at the hospital today? Will they just be collateral damage if anything serious happens?
    The things in place to do something about this systematically isn't nearly enough. If radical change isn't enacted, not just some "net 0 by 2050" bullshit targets, it's gonna get a whole lot worse, like apocalypse level worse. Radical change doesn't come by the changing the status quo slightly

What happens when the gulf stream collapses and northern Europe is plunged into 9 months of winter? Or when countries become inhospitable because of the heat? Or when crops can't be grown because we don't have enough water?

On your last point, yeah it's shitty that someone might be late to a hospital appointment, but there is literally traffic every single day caused by a myriad of things. It's just cos people want to paint these people as being "woke hippy idiots" that it gets so much attention. Which is a good thing for the cause.

However, I'm no campaigner and I don't have any experience in anything like this, so not sure that this is the most worthwhile thing to do but if it gets them attention and furthers their cause then 🤷‍♀️
    No one is arguing with that, but the points still stand - 

- What is direct action aimed at the public going to do to make the Government speed things up?
    - What can the government do to speed things up, baring in mind the complexed factors that have to be considered before implementing any changes.

Watch the end of the video Clive shared on previous page. People are largely in agreement, so why are they the ones being targeted?

It all just seems like a protest for the sake of it

More publicity - more incentive for the Government to do something about it. 
    If more and more people get involved in direct action then it'll make people in Government sit up and think, like any protest does. 

I'm not a climate scientist or anything like that and I don't pretend to be but make the changes where they can do, put more money into taking this seriously, more ambitious targets that are stuck too and highly incentivising people to do the right things. The way you have phrased it makes it seem that nothing can be done without taking an age to do it, an age we had in the 1990s but not an age we have 30 years later. When things get worse, which they will, and millions of people die for various reasons people will wish we were back in 2021 where we at least had a chance to mitigate the worst scenarios.    
  • shirty5 said:
    They avoid Canning Town underground station now. Don’t want some hairy arsed pipe fitter dragging them off a roof of a tube train by their ankles again. 
    They made a huge mistake seeking to inconvenience the masses at Canning Town and they should have learned from this. Try this road stunt again and they are likely to face dozens of angry drivers. The protestors haven't signed up for violence, so they shouldn't be put in danger of it. I can guarantee the organisers would call it it looks like trouble is coming their way from the public. There are far more ways to protest that will attract equal attention and not inconvenience large numbers of people. I don't think many of us disagree with their intentions so why piss us off?
  • iainment said:

But.
    Instead of pissing of Joe public going about their business target politicians and large companies that are causing pollution. 
    At the moment instead of getting people on their side they are pissing people of with their actions. 
    There were some in the Valley who had similar arguments against CARD protests disrupting games. Should there have been no demonstrations against Duchatelet that effected them?
    Affected - and a crap comparison of huge magnitude 
    Thanks, I have a real block about effect and affect and usually get them muddled up.

I disagree about the comparison. I was making the point that depending on your point of view protests are either laudable and should be accepted as part of life. Or not and should be stamped out. There are people on here frothing at the mouth about this protest who would have been supporting CARD protests and heard those who disagreed with them venting anger at their life being disrupted. Albeit in a shorter time and with less disruption to them.

I am also certain that if these protesters were told there was an emergency ambulance needing to get through they’d get out of the way.
  • Do the protesters move if an ambulance or fire engine need to pass
    I guess not if they have glued themselves to the road. Selfish fuckas
  • Gribbo said:
    Rothko said:
    Gribbo said:
    Always does me that they target Joe Public, most of whom agree there's a problem and would be happy with changes in law and legislation to help reduce climate change. If they want to take a bit of direct action, try blocking some of the factories within about a 10 miles radius of Dartford ffs
    again, this is more, you can protest, but do it in a way that doesn't get attention or a wider point. 
    But they're inconveniencing people who aren't able to make a difference. Unless they think doing this will stop people driving. Think these protests are misguided 
    I would think the aim of the protest is to create public awareness of how quickly climate change is happening.

All the while governments and people do little - or even nothing, climate change is going to accelerate.

Today we may only care about getting to work on time, keeping appointments or even going shopping.
    But tomorrow, our children's future is going to be impacted greatly by climate change - unless action is taken now.

It's our children's world at stake. Should we care enough to do something about it?

• Should take it up with politicians and protest outside public buildings and MPs houses.
    Just enough at each site to spread the police monitoring their activity without blocking Joe public...

Taking a short break from writing up a dissertation for my urban terrorism PhD...
  • Sponsored links:

• I am all for peaceful protesting but when it affects others going about their usual business then I think reasonable force should be used to remove them.
    Absolutely agree, but I am in the vast minority opinion in France. When it happened here three years ago drivers were tooting but I gradually learnt that this was to show support!

Looks like you have caught the French disease. Are they wearing florescent yellow vests?
  • Oggy Red said:
    Gribbo said:
    Rothko said:
    Gribbo said:
    Always does me that they target Joe Public, most of whom agree there's a problem and would be happy with changes in law and legislation to help reduce climate change. If they want to take a bit of direct action, try blocking some of the factories within about a 10 miles radius of Dartford ffs
    again, this is more, you can protest, but do it in a way that doesn't get attention or a wider point. 
    But they're inconveniencing people who aren't able to make a difference. Unless they think doing this will stop people driving. Think these protests are misguided 
    I would think the aim of the protest is to create public awareness of how quickly climate change is happening.

All the while governments and people do little - or even nothing, climate change is going to accelerate.

Today we may only care about getting to work on time, keeping appointments or even going shopping.
    But tomorrow, our children's future is going to be impacted greatly by climate change - unless action is taken now.

It's our children's world at stake. Should we care enough to do something about it?

But why do they have to disrupt people going about their day to raise public awareness about insulating homes? There's other ways of doing it, all they have managed to do is p1ss off a lot of people who probably agreed with the original message.

They are in danger of losing all public support, if they haven't already.   
  • edited September 2021
    I've tried to write a few "balanced" posts about this but can't.

Drag the fuckers off the road. 

As for the old bill molly coddling them - get on with it and treat them how you'd treat football fans if they were doing the same.
    I know many on this thread are congenitally predisposed to hate the paper that provides the link, but just watch the this video and equate it to how you have ever seen any police officer act in any other environment... 

https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2021/09/15/1910440502393943968/960x540_MP4_1910440502393943968.mp4

• Rob7Lee said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Gribbo said:
    Rothko said:
    Gribbo said:

But why do they have to disrupt people going about their day to raise public awareness about insulating homes? There's other ways of doing it, all they have managed to do is p1ss off a lot of people who probably agreed with the original message.

They are in danger of losing all public support, if they haven't already.   
    THIS !!!
  • iainment said:
    iainment said:

But.
    Thanks, I have a real block about effect and affect and usually get them muddled up.

I disagree about the comparison. I was making the point that depending on your point of view protests are either laudable and should be accepted as part of life. Or not and should be stamped out. There are people on here frothing at the mouth about this protest who would have been supporting CARD protests and heard those who disagreed with them venting anger at their life being disrupted. Albeit in a shorter time and with less disruption to them.

I am also certain that if these protesters were told there was an emergency ambulance needing to get through they’d get out of the way.

• iainment said:
    iainment said:

But.

Today's free advice - use the acronym RAVEN

Remember:
    Affect
    Verb,
    Effect
    Noun
  • edited September 2021
    Something that annoys me is that i believe that they are targeting the wrong people and the old bill should be moving them straight on however, I fully believe if they were to do something , for example, around parliament that massively inconvenienced mp’s getting into/leaving parliament the old bill would have them on their way in a tenth of the time
  • It’s nice of them to decide who is allowed to use our roads , perhaps iainment can give us their names and addresses cos my mate has got to go again next week  .
    he can put in an exemption request to these arseholes
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!