Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Insulate Britain Protests (Blackwall Tunnel p22)

Comments

• Options
    A lot of these protesters are they same as those arrested on Monday and released. One of them allegedly lives in run down farmhouse in Wales with no insulation, he would be first in the queue if the goverment gave him a grant to insulate his house, instead of spending money to get from Wales to London to protest why does he not use the money to insulate the house himself. Also why does he travel to London and not protest on the Seven Bridge? 
  • Options
    What about those people going to darenth valley for chemo to prolong their life ? My friend missed the appointment 
    And there we have it - disrupting medical appointments where people have major life threatening conditions - as predicted earlier on in this thread

Utter tossers

Well you can console you friend by telling them that the insulation in their house is going to be upgraded !!
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    It would be interesting to see how these protestors would be treated in China..............
    That’s what I was thinking, not just that, but their population is what 20 x bigger than the Uks, if you were really passionate about the overall problem go to China and kick up a stink, target the bigger countries first, our population is tiny compared to the global population, people with an ideology and too much time on their hands IMO making it worse for their own country.
  • Options
    These people will 100% be on the right side of history when all is said and done

The inconvenience these people are causing will be nothing compared to the "inconvenience" of doing nothing about climate change
    But are their protests the most effective? Whilst only a small number in rhe scheme of things, apart from on here, everyone I have spoken to about this is so pised off with them and don't support what they are doing. Especially the person whose long awaited medical procedure was postponed again because the doctor was stuck on the M25.

Personally, I don't think they are going about it the most effective way.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Gribbo said:
    Rothko said:
    Gribbo said:
    Always does me that they target Joe Public, most of whom agree there's a problem and would be happy with changes in law and legislation to help reduce climate change. If they want to take a bit of direct action, try blocking some of the factories within about a 10 miles radius of Dartford ffs
    again, this is more, you can protest, but do it in a way that doesn't get attention or a wider point. 
    But they're inconveniencing people who aren't able to make a difference. Unless they think doing this will stop people driving. Think these protests are misguided 
    I would think the aim of the protest is to create public awareness of how quickly climate change is happening.

All the while governments and people do little - or even nothing, climate change is going to accelerate.

Today we may only care about getting to work on time, keeping appointments or even going shopping.
    But tomorrow, our children's future is going to be impacted greatly by climate change - unless action is taken now.

It's our children's world at stake. Should we care enough to do something about it?

But why do they have to disrupt people going about their day to raise public awareness about insulating homes? There's other ways of doing it, all they have managed to do is p1ss off a lot of people who probably agreed with the original message.

They are in danger of losing all public support, if they haven't already.   
    It's not everyday, is it? It's one morning.

Maybe a lot of people will be pissed off - but are you really suggesting these people will now disregard rapidly accelerating climate change because they were delayed one morning in their life today?

Any protest of this nature is to make people aware.
    Newspapers, radio, television, social media are all carrying this news. Pressure will be put on government and big business.

Even Charlton Life is carrying a thread of 120 comments and 2.1K views.
    For today at least, people are being made aware.

That's the point of this type of protest.

Who said anything about it being everyday? (two morning so far by the way, not one)

It's foolish to think that protesting about insulating homes by blocking major motorways, I guess the busiest in the country, is going to do anything but royally pee people off.

Yes there's a thread on here, mostly people disagreeing with the protest!

I'm not saying people will now disregard climate change, but ExR are losing the support of the general public with stunts like this. 
  • Options
    holyjo said:
    It would be interesting to see how these protestors would be treated in China..............
    Cos we are all big fans of tyrannical autocracies... 
    Nor am I but unless China, India et al change ( which they won't ) these protests are pointless. China has already said that they will not change anything until at least 2060. Getting people in the UK to insulate their lofts probably won't change much.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    holyjo said:
    Cos we are all big fans of tyrannical autocracies... 
    Nor am I but unless China, India et al change ( which they won't ) these protests are pointless. China has already said that they will not change anything until at least 2060. Getting people in the UK to insulate their lofts probably won't change much.
    The inside of their houses will be warmer in winter 😉
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    A lot of these protesters are they same as those arrested on Monday and released. One of them allegedly lives in run down farmhouse in Wales with no insulation, he would be first in the queue if the goverment gave him a grant to insulate his house, instead of spending money to get from Wales to London to protest why does he not use the money to insulate the house himself. Also why does he travel to London and not protest on the Seven Bridge? 
    It’s actually The Severn Bridge not Seven Dansk
    A mistake made by many mate….myself included and for a number of years too.
    Many people also say The River Seven instead of Severn.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Reminder: it is possible to condemn protestors without condemning their cause 
    To be fair that's what nearly everyone has been doing. 
  • Options
    If they want to educate people on insulating homes then maybe they should get a stall at the next ideal home exhibition 
    That's tickled me  :D
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    turn ya engine off, no need to idle when your at a stop 
    …if your car starts every time without fail.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

Even professional reports make errors, I like this, taken from Kent Online article on the Dartford protests also foget to put th "r" in.

Kent Police has confirmed officers wee at two protests at J1A and 1B of the motorway where some people are said to have glued their hands to the road. They have since been arrested a spokesman for the group has confirmed.

• Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    Dansk_Red said:

Even professional reports make errors, I like this, taken from Kent Online article on the Dartford protests also foget to put th "r" in.

Kent Police has confirmed officers wee at two protests at J1A and 1B of the motorway where some people are said to have glued their hands to the road. They have since been arrested a spokesman for the group has confirmed.

You will find that errors like that, and indeed factual errors, are very common with Kent Online - it’s a shockingly bad site
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Their "cause" and their "demands" are two different things. Their "demand" is net zero by 2025. Luckily they have fuck all chance of their "demands" being met. 

Meanwhile, the rest of society can accelerate positive actions that support the focus on climate change without wrecking livelihoods and economies in the process.
  • Options
    A mate reckons the police have been giving them tea and sandwiches!
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Ferryman said:
    .....with pile-driving laxatives in them, that'l clear the demonstration, apart from the unfortunate ones who superglued themselves to the tarmac.
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    Outrageous behaviour.......they'll be giving 5 bedroom houses in Highgate to the illegal immigrants next!
  • Options
    redman said:
    Complaining about climate change I believe. So block the roads. Result extra pollution! Stupidity in the extreme
    missing the point, a tiny miniscule bit of extra pollution is worth it for spreading the message
    Can argue about miniscule but.... But spreading what message. I actually think it undermines the message. It at least half asks the question people doing this are cranks and don't care about the lives of ordinary people and maybe don't even care about pollution. There are other ways to go about this and get the message over more effectively. 
    As a result of this protest how many people suddenly start thinking about climate change. As I said before it is dumb and stupid.

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Their "cause" and their "demands" are two different things. Their "demand" is net zero by 2025. Luckily they have fuck all chance of their "demands" being met. 

Meanwhile, the rest of society can accelerate positive actions that support the focus on climate change without wrecking livelihoods and economies in the process.
    How on earth can anyone saying they hope their 'demands' of net zero by 2025 aren't met? I assume as someone gets a bit older and more 'experienced' they also get more complacent and don't like change - no positive change ever happens without some ambition behind it.

The world will be a completely different place in decades because of a lack of ambition, it's probably not best to ridicule the ambition to change one of the most important issues this world has. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!