Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wycombe Wanderers vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 18th September 2021 | Match Preview

Wycombe Wanderers vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 18th September 2021 ... 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Peter Wright

Introduction
Well they never said it was going to be uneventful as a Charlton fan did they, we walk away from some games like the one against Cheltenham cursing the parents, friends, impulse that saw us taking in our first encounter however many years ago - Already it feels a case of deja vu from last winter where we're making jobs harder for ourselves by being forced to correct a 2-0 scoreline before we even get going, a fact that has happened in half our games so far this term... This Saturday we travel to Buckinghamshire for what could well be another painful afternoon.

The Opposition
Name: Wycombe Wanderers (9th) | Manager: Gareth Ainsworth
Ground: Adams Park
Previous Meeting: Wycombe Wanderers 0-1 Charlton Athletic

The pendulum really did swing from one direction to the other when our fixture list was announced back in June... Last Saturday we faced a promoted side from League Two, this Saturday we face a team who are perhaps unlucky to be back in League One after a year in the Championship.

After all no one expected Wycombe to challenge for promotion in 2019/20 yet alone achieve glory through the Play-Offs (regardless if it was deserved given how the table was decided)... So when the Chairboys got into the Championship it was naturally predicted that they'd be the whipping boys and wouldnt stand a chance of survival. Unfortunately, like the Addicks they would be relegated but it wouldnt be until the final day of the season and would be courtesy of a solitary point.

Its continued credit to the good work that Ainsworth has achieved in Buckinghamshire and is a surprise that he's not moved on to better and bigger things (no discredit to Wycombe) - Life back at this level hasnt been a struggle either; Wycombe have coped with a return to this level and have just one defeat all season, coming at high flying Sunderland.

On the player front and a lot of eyes will no doubt be on the experienced Sam Vokes, a similar player to Jayden Stockley, he'll certainly let our shakey defence know that he's around this Saturday, whilst Nigel Adkins will be well used to Gareth McCleary who he worked with at Reading and already has two assists to his name this term, despite being 34 now.

Charlton Team News
2pm on Saturday afternoon will no doubt raise the usual question marks when the squad is announcement and with just one win this season it'll be in good reason - Unfortunately the squad doesnt pick itself at present, and apart from Craig MacGillivray (who continues to show fight for us both on the pitch and on Social Media) you could argue that the other ten players are all at risk of being replaced.

In a realistic scenario though thats unlikely to be the case and you'd expect the likes of Akin Famewo and Dialling Jaiyesimi to be safe, along with captain: Jayden Stockley - As for the rest who have been starting of late, well am sure they'll get used to time out of the team if they continue to play and continue to put in performances like what we've been "enjoying".

MacGillivray
Gunter - Lavelle - Famewo - Souare
Jaiyesimi - Arter - Morgan - Washington
Lee - Stockley

Substitutes Bench: Henderson - Pearce - Purrington - Watson - Dobson - Kirk - Leko

Prediction
To at least try and put a positive spin on things, well Wycombe have never managed to record points against the Addicks in a League encounter, let alone win against us - So we can only hope that come 5pm we continue to have the same record against them that Cheltenham appear to have against us... Thats provided we dont witness a similar display from THAT League Cup game all those years ago.

Comments

• Options
    Dreading games at the moment. 2-1 Wycombe after we take an early lead. 
  • Options
    Expecting plenty of changes from last Saturday with a minimum of at least 3. Must change Gunter at LB, one of the CM midfield and Washington coming back in. Hoping Leko starts but might keep him as an impact sub.

MacG
    Matthews, Lavelle, Famewo, Souare,
    Morgan, Dobson,
    Washington,Lee, Kirk
    Stockley.

Charlton 2-1 win. Got to start winning some matches.
  • Options
    Agree with the line-up except I'd swap DJ for Leko. Not massively keen on Morgan starting but don't see what choice we have.
  • Options
    Smithy said:
    Agree with the line-up except I'd swap DJ for Leko. Not massively keen on Morgan starting but don't see what choice we have.
    Yeah I didnt think of that one... My initial thought was having Washington up front with Stockley and Kirk out wide, but then realised that I wanted to factor in Lee as well as dont think he did enough to be dropped.
  • Options
    I'm expecting a loss, but I'm usually wrong.
  • Options
    We are worse than useless at the moment. 
    Heavy defeat I'm afraid. 
  • Options
    Having watched our last few games I'm afraid I can't see beyond a loss.
    Most of my lot are going to this game but I just cannot motivate myself at the moment. 
    Hopefully NA  can turn things around but I'm not sure he can.
  • Options
    I have no expectations until I see the midfield improve and the team play with more energy and confidence on the ball.

Tempting to bet on Wycombe and our next few opponents. It’s either free money or what is needed to force an improvement and good result.
  • Options
    One step closer to a sacking at the end of the month, unless we get 3 points in one match out of the next four. 

Sadly, I don't think we can even achieve that. Definite defeat for this one.

Come the end of the month I will be able to back up my opinions by actually attending the last two matches.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would be very disappointed if new players were still deemed not fit enough to start. 

Month into the season now, we should have most of our starting players in a position to play 90 minutes. 
  • Options
    Would be very disappointed if new players were still deemed not fit enough to start. 

Month into the season now, we should have most of our starting players in a position to play 90 minutes. 
    Arter is the only one we're waiting to see now
  • Options
    All a bit flat isn't it!
  • Options
    Surely there will be a positive reaction to last week's 'performance ', improved display but still only a draw,1-1.
  • Options
    I’m expecting Adkins to make a few changes based on last week’s showing and to send a message.  I’d be disappointed if Gunter, Morgan, Watson, Kirk & DJ all start based on how poor they all were against Cheltenham.

Would like to see 

MacGillvary

Matthews Lavelle Famewo Souare 

Blackett-Taylor Arter Lee Leko

Stockley Washington

if that isn’t too attack minded and leaves us short defensively in midfield.  If that’s the case then hopefully Dobson or Clare can be chosen ahead of Watson.  Definitely don’t think any of the 5 I mentioned above deserve a space in the starting line up 
  • Options
    Frankly I’m not confident at all. 
  • Options
    I'll take a point. 2-2
  • Options
    I do admire the previews mate.  If I were doing it each week by now it’d go something like “Wycombe v charlton, whatever”.

I’ve no idea how this will go down but we need something positive that’s for sure.  I genuinely don’t wanna see Albie Morgan near the team. But I’ve no idea who is available and who isn’t, Arter for example?  Or Clare, he wasn’t on the bench last game, left back MUST be adjusted even if he’s 80% fit Souare.

MacG
    Matthews, Lavelle, Famewo, Souare
    Clare, Arter
    Leko, Lee, Washington 
    Stockley

1-1 in hope more than judgement.  
    I like your side, although I would probably stick with Kirk for Washington to see if he can build a partnership with Souare down the left.
    I want to see us taking the game to them; I want to see some invention and creativity.
    I don't want to see pedestrian build-up play, lack of belief, and frightened hoofball.
    I have zero confidence.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

Arter is the only one we're waiting to see now
    Soaure did 10 minutes. Not exactly 90. 

I'll let Leko off as the 45 showed he's ready to play. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A regeneration is necessary, will come in the guise of personnel change, rather than formation I reckon, but it is enough to secure a point away from home for the first time this season. 1-1 Stockley back to scoring ways. 
  • Options
    Back to basics, 4-4-2 for me. With Lee nominally on the wing but  'tucked in' making midfield more solid. Curbs used Graeme Stuart in this roll.

Is Arter fit to start? I doubt it. Can Souare start?  Hopefully Leco can start. I prefer Gunter RB over Matthews.

Big Mac

Gunter.    Lavelle.   Famewo.   Souare

Leco.    Arter/Watson.  Dobson/Clare   Lee

Stockley. Washington

Think I got last week's starting 11 spot on, and we know how that went!

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Inniss and Schwartz both out injured for two months

Gilbey | Purrington | Clare all back in training

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/injury-setback-for-charlton-as-ryan-inniss-and-ronnie-schwartz-both-sidelined-for-months/
  • Options
    The pressure of this game .. Wycombe will start fav but like to see us go 3412 and try to take the game to them … 
  • Options
    Nigel presser sounds like Arter is in contention.  I think we may of seen the last of Watson/Morgan combo.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    This time last week Nigel was telling us how everything had gone up a notch on the training ground and that turned out excellently 
  • Options
    Schwartz injured again? Doing what? 
    Laughable isn't it, the bloke is a liability, the sooner he is off the wage bill the better.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!