Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wycombe Wanderers vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 18th September 2021 | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    None of the 11 that started last Saturday deserve to start this, certainly not the ten outfield players.  Unfortunately about 7, at least, of them almost have to play.

I would consider going 3/5 at the back and bringing Pearce in because we seriously lack leadership and this is going to be a battle.

Assuming Arter and Pape are fit to start I would go with a proper 433.

MacGillivray
    Matthews Levelle Famewo Pape
                 Morgan Watson Arter
           Washington Stockley Leko

Harsh on Lee but we can't afford 4 attacking players.  What do I think Adkins will do?  Make 2 or 3 changes, depending on fitness, to personnel but keep the same shape.

We seriously need 4 points out of these 2 games, nothing suggests we will get them. 
    Morgan and Watson, again???  You wouldn’t take a punt on Clare instead of one or both of them and sling Lee in.
    No idea how fit Clare is can you risk both him and Arter from the start? Leaving Lee in leaves us wide open again.  I don't want us to play Watson and Morgan but right now I don't see we really have much choice. 
    Maybe, NA did say everyone is in contention except the long terms.

I watched them two for 90 minutes Saturday and it was a horror show.  I’ll genuinely cop the ump if they turn up on the team sheet come Saturday.
    Yup me too mate. Time to bin them both neither of them for different reasons are nowhere near good enough Watson needs to do his coaching badges and Albie needs to go a couple of leagues down. If NA persists with that pairing he deserves whatever he gets
     Well I am certainly glad that neither of them are nowhere near good enough, that means they must be somewhere near good enough. 

I don't really get the animosity to Adkins 6 games into the new season. 16 league games into his time with us.
    Dazzler I have absolutely no animosity towards Adkins. I was chuffed when he came here and really want him to do well and actually think he will. My point was if he persists with that pairing he is inviting pressure on himself and imo would deserve it. Honestly mate only the most rose tinted supporter could even in their wildest dreams make a case for either of them deserving a place in the team. It has been said thousands of times the legs have gone in one and the other has no clue
  • Options
    Who
    Gives - Any - More - Shits
    Which - Players - Make
    The - Final - Squad

All I care about is the performance and result.

I'm not going to sit here slagging off 21 year olds for the results especially when the more senior players have been as shit if not worse.

Let's see what happens Saturday, it's probably not going to match anyone's selections on this page, but so long as it's a positive result not one poster on here will care. Some still won't care if it is.
  • Options
    With its long history of footballing success and huge budget I fear WW will simply roll over fearful little Charlton.

Welcome to the big time lads!
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Gilbey played in both games, JFC also started the Lincoln game.
    We only had one winger - Millar. A team can't "carry" 2 light weight non contributory wingers.
    We had a left footed left back either Purrington or Maatsen.
    Morgan is not ready to be "running our midfield/team".
  • Options
    Lots picking Soure but I’m pretty sure Adkins said after Saturday that he wasn’t fit to start for fear on muscle injuries.

Maybe Purrington will be fit - massively prefer him to Gunter 
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Lots picking Soure but I’m pretty sure Adkins said after Saturday that he wasn’t fit to start for fear on muscle injuries.

Maybe Purrington will be fit - massively prefer him to Gunter 
    He did & not for a while.
  • Options
                           MacG

Matthews. Lavelle famewo souare

arter          dobson

leko.               Lee            Washington

Stockley
    This
  • Options
    We always win when I go camping,  but if I go north we lose, but if it rains we win, but if in a tent we win more but if crowded, we get babaganoushed. 3:2 Charlton
  • Options
    We only had one winger - Millar. A team can't "carry" 2 light weight non contributory wingers.
    Yeah Morgan replaced JFC after half an hour of Lincoln game.  Maatsen also played as a "winger" in the 1st game.

Like I said before subtle changes have made a massive difference.  8 games ago we looked liked a team that should have made the play offs and could have challenged for the automatics.  Now we look like relegation candidates. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Who
    Which - Players - Make
    The - Final - Squad

I'm not going to sit here slagging off 21 year olds for the results especially when the more senior players have been as shit if not worse.

Let's see what happens Saturday, it's probably not going to match anyone's selections on this page, but so long as it's a positive result not one poster on here will care. Some still won't care if it is.
    I agree that The’s and Final’s natural positions are in ‘the final’ third. But I’d say Squad is more of a squad player than a starter. Who is in goal?!  I’m not sure any more Any-More are the right pairing at the back. Possibly More Shits should swap, Players Shits even.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Yeah Morgan replaced JFC after half an hour of Lincoln game.  Maatsen also played as a "winger" in the 1st game.

Like I said before subtle changes have made a massive difference.  8 games ago we looked liked a team that should have made the play offs and could have challenged for the automatics.  Now we look like relegation candidates. 
    It also shows it can be turned around. The goals we conceded were avoidable. A few changes to the lineup, working harder as a team and being a bit more composed on the ball can make a big difference.

After we lost to Blackpool at home last season it looked like we’d be falling down the league and struggle to score a goal, never mind win another game. We improved and even got a few wins under Bowyer before he left.
  • Options
    Lot of pressure on the team to get a result. I'm not very confident as I don't see Adkins making major changes. Washington will surely start which means Kirk or DJ will be dropped. He might start one out of Arter, Leko and Souare but I don't expect all three to start.

MacG
    Matthews Lavelle Famewo Gunter
    DJ Arter Morgan Washington
    Stockley Lee

I would take a draw at this moment.
  • Options
                             Mac
    Matthew's  lavelle,   famwoe, gunter

Dobson
              Leko      arter          washington

Lee
                          Stockley
  • Options
    mac 

matthews
    lavelle
    famwho
    souare

dobson

Arter
    Lee

Leko
    Stockley
    Washington 

or:

mac 

matthews
    lavelle
    famwho
    souare

Claire
    dobson
    Arter
    Lee

Leko
    Stockley

• Options
    Adkins will be desperate to avoid another defeat and the following howling for him to be replaced. I think he will plump for experience by bringing Pearce back into the central defence and being tempted to go with Gunter again at left back. The midfield is far harder to choose given no-one is bossing a place currently. Arter and/or Lee if Arter deemed fit enough and you can perm the others. Sadly, I suspect his desperation to avoid that defeat may also lead to another performance with Stockley being asked to beat two men and the keeper to score.

This is all down to our late recruitment policy and we now have to find a side that settles and begins to play football. It's a false economy which threatens even worse if we lose more confidence in the coming weeks and have to begin a relegation battle. There are maybe four players who will deserve a long spell out of the first eleven if they fail to get involved again this weekend. Getting less than ten touches in a match is stealing a living.
  • Options
    This is one of those where we win against all odds. 2-1 Charlton.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    mac 

matthews
    lavelle
    famwho
    souare

dobson

Arter
    Lee

Leko
    Stockley
    Washington 

or:

mac 

matthews
    lavelle
    famwho
    souare

Claire
    dobson
    Arter
    Lee

Leko
    Stockley

Ah! You’re plumping for the 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1 formation. 
  • Options
    We always win when I go camping,  but if I go north we lose, but if it rains we win, but if in a tent we win more but if crowded, we get babaganoushed. 3:2 Charlton

Carry on Camping.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Gunter and Watson should both be dropped. I'd like to drop Matthews too, but then we don't have a right back. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    I have had a fairly good record on predicting Cafc results this season until last Saturday:
    Even napped Wigan to win at the Valley. (Wanted to be wrong but having insurance is never a bad thing)

Despite before the game trying to work out how two wingers and Watson and Holmes, sorry Morgan, were going to forge a partnership along with Lee who I assumed would be the attacking midfielder helping the Lonely Stockley.  I still went for a Charlton win because I thought 2 weeks with out a game and doing training, drills and tactics at Sparrows lane, Nigel Adkins had a master plan. Couldn't see it on paper but we lived in hope.

Unfortunately not and the first 45 minutes was a disjointed mess from first whistle to last. Cheltenham just passed and moved and couldn't believe their luck.

Will say a draw because the chastity belt will be back on and we will revert to defending and trying to keep a clean sheet. I just can't see 25 clean sheets Nigel, but I would love to be wrong.( Taking the Golfie negative default mode is certainly the easier way when you realize we are 20th in League 1)

We have 4 wide men/wingers but not sure that more than one will be on the field at the same time after Kirk and DJ no show in the first half against the mighty Cheltenham when we weren't at the races.

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

Taking my eldest son to Nottingham uni tomorrow. Big day.
    Then off to Wycombe Saturday. I'm not sure which one fills me with the most dread.

Expecting to lose on Saturday anyway. 2-0?
    But as usual, there's always a glimmer of hope we'll witness a turnaround.
    Is your son secretly applying for the Forest job? If only there was a famous football manager in his family tree he could mention on his CV  ;)
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Who
    Which - Players - Make
    The - Final - Squad

Not sure I would go 4-3-3, but agree that I want every player to give 100% and crawl of that pitch having given everything they can.
  • Options
    Can have no idea of the squad, as we do not know which of the late August early September signings are fit enough to play or who will be injured by then. If the team is much the same as the Cheltenham game then Wycombe 3 Charlton 1.
  • Options
    I've got no idea what team we'll put out

1) Are the new signings and returning sick/injured players fit enough to start? By the sound of things Souare is another Inniss or Aneke, who can't just be thrown in, and unless Purrington is fit to start, we'll have Gunter at LB again.

2) We managed the grim combination last week of both being defensively open AND toothless going forward. Indeed as an attacking force, we've been poor this season, as shown by our measly number of shots on target. We need creativity and a goal threat in the team BUT we also need solidity, and the defence to get better protection from the midfield (including the wide midfielders/wingers). Plus better pressing from the front.

Personally I'd go for a Curbs/Powell style 442, with a winger on one side, and a midfielder on the other, e.g.

McG

Gunter/Matthews  Lavelle  Famewo   Purrington/Gunter

Clare         Morgan        Arter        Leko/DJ//Kirk

Washington/Leko     Stockley
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I think we'll learn a lot about NA from the team he picks for this game. Last Saturday was clearest example of a very poor performance during his tenure and he will absolutely want a reaction from the players.

Plenty of opinions about the team - Watson remains the biggest problem from last week, alongside Gunter going from better vs. Crewe back to awful vs. Cheltenham. Morgan was out of his depth again in CM, meanwhile Kirk and DJ just didn't track back enough. Stockley looks better with a partner, so I'd give him Leko again, with Lee to come on later if needed. I'd bring in Arter, Dobson and Souare/Purrington (whoever is fit)

What I will say for both Kirk and DJ is that the midfield pair (and players behind them on each side right now) make them both look infinitely worse, and at least one of them will start vs. Wycombe imo. If we sort the midfield and start to contest that area better, they will both start to look a lot better. Desperate to see Gilbey come back into the fold so he can be part of a midfield that contests more.

For this game, I would go with:

McG
    Matthews/ Famewo / Levelle / Souare 
    DJ / Dobson/ Arter / Morgan
    Stockley / Leko

- Dobson to get stuck in and tackle (and probably cover DJ, defensively).
    - Leko to support Stockley (arguably Lee again would be fine)
    - Morgan to stay in for his delivery and to tuck in if we are getting overrun. Throw Kirk in later on, if needed, to build a partnership with Souare.
    - Arter to pull strings.
    - Souare to bomb forward.
    - Watson to stay as far away from this team as possible, because it's all his fault ;)
  • Options

2) We managed the grim combination last week of both being defensively open AND toothless going forward. Indeed as an attacking force, we've been poor this season, as shown by our measly number of shots on target. We need creativity and a goal threat in the team BUT we also need solidity, and the defence to get better protection from the midfield (including the wide midfielders/wingers). Plus better pressing from the front.

I'm requoting your second paragraph, firstly because I agree with every word and secondly because it states in stark relief how fecking pathetic we are right now.
    I'm a pessimist by nature and like an occasional moan, but I am not one for calling out managers 6 games into a season.
    But something in me snapped last week.
    I can handle a side gradually feeling it's way; finding out each others game; tinkering with a system or a line-up to fine tune a side that looks like it could go places.
    What I saw was a pitiful, disorganised, rudderless group with no apparent plan and no sense of purpose. In short, what you would historically recognise as a relegation contender.
    None of the players seem to be playing with any belief in the system, in each other, or in what the manager is expecting of them.
    I'm no tactical analyst, I'm a simple man, but I can't see any plan at all. What am I missing?
    I'd like to think we do have the players and Nigel certainly has the time to turn things around.
    But I've used up all my patience.
    I have had it up to here watching dogshit football in a dogshit league.

• Options

I'm requoting your second paragraph, firstly because I agree with every word and secondly because it states in stark relief how fecking pathetic we are right now.
    I'm a pessimist by nature and like an occasional moan, but I am not one for calling out managers 6 games into a season.
    But something in me snapped last week.
    I can handle a side gradually feeling it's way; finding out each others game; tinkering with a system or a line-up to fine tune a side that looks like it could go places.
    What I saw was a pitiful, disorganised, rudderless group with no apparent plan and no sense of purpose. In short, what you would historically recognise as a relegation contender.
    None of the players seem to be playing with any belief in the system, in each other, or in what the manager is expecting of them.
    I'm no tactical analyst, I'm a simple man, but I can't see any plan at all. What am I missing?
    I'd like to think we do have the players and Nigel certainly has the time to turn things around.
    But I've used up all my patience.
    I have had it up to here watching dogshit football in a dogshit league.

It's a worrying situation when a manager comes out after a game and says that the players in the first half completely ignored his instructions

Lack of discipline from the players on the pitch, and a lack of on field leadership?
    Lack of belief in the manager?
    The manager not putting across his plans well enough?

That's a recipe for relegation, not promotion.

Wycombe are the opposite. The players and manager are totally unified, indeed the players are inspired by Ainsworth to be better than the sum of the parts, hence Wycombe after a slow start last season getting it together, and only finishing 1 point behind Wayne Rooney's Derby County, an excellent achievement
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    mac 

matthews
    lavelle
    famwho
    souare

dobson

Arter
    Lee

Leko
    Stockley
    Washington 

or:

mac 

matthews
    lavelle
    famwho
    souare

Claire
    dobson
    Arter
    Lee

Leko
    Stockley

Ah! You’re plumping for the 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1 formation. 
    That's what we went with first half against Cheltenham 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!