Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Adkins Out? - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    He needs to win the next game to have any chance of keeping his job I reckon.
    And Bolton were unlucky to lose at Sunderland, apparently. Great timing.
    It would not matter how they played at Sunderland, their league position alone makes them favourites. I bet Big Josh is licking his lips looking at our defence.
    Big Josh? 
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Presumably all those that think Adkins has had enough time to produce a team that is in the promotion shake up after nine games are totally mystified as to how Paul Cook still has a job at Ipswich - his record currently reads - 5 wins from 26 matches and just the one win in all comps this season from 11 games. 
    Don't care about Ipswich comparison (they can sort out their own problems), I am concerned about the shitfest emanating from Mr Adkins direction, which is a problem we need to deal with.
    An expected reaction. Funny that though isn't it. All the time Ipswich were signing players left, right and centre posters on here were saying how they were going to run away with the League and that those players were the very targets we should have been going for. At the same time, when we've been manager less, Cook's name has come up on numerous occasions.

The point I was trying to make is that it takes time to bed a squad in especially when they come at various levels of fitness. Cook is finding that too and he has a very good managerial record and had longer to do so with their recruits. 

People are very selective. They want to choose to ignore the run that we had under Adkins that almost took us into the Play Offs as if that doesn't count on his Charlton CV. We had fit players used to playing with us like Maatsen, Millar, JFC, Gilbey and Aneke on that run. He's had to replace them with no pre season to gel the side. Anyone notice the improvement in Gilbey when he was brought back by Adkins last season? Adkins also explained to those who want to listen why he's had to make so many changes from game to game.

The chances are now that Adkins will be gone soon enough which will please many. so here's one question for the managerial experts on here. Who is the Manager who is going to be prepared to come in and turn this round straightaway. Paul Cook?

The other aspect of the vitriol towards Adkins that I do find strange is how some are throwing his as they would call it, his "happy clappy" persona and how he can't be a strong Manager as a result. Ask DJ whether he thinks that Adkins is incapable of making difficult decisions? Ask DJ whether Adkins sat him down and explained what he needs to do to become a better player. Ask DJ whether Adkins threw him against the wall in doing so. Ask DJ whether he publicly slated him and others and blamed them for our poor results. 

Almost every team goes through a bad run at some point in the season. Should they all be sacked? And how many games do we give the next one? Nine? That might mean we'll have half a dozen Managers this season.
    In no particular order:

John Coleman
    Gareth Ainsworth
    Ryan Lowe
    Matt Taylor
    Simon Weaver 
    Kenny Jackett

I don’t care if some of those teams are currently above us. It’s not being arrogant to say we’re a bigger pull than their current clubs if we offered them the job. All have recent success. 

Kenny Jackett, who took over at Portsmouth in 2017 and in four seasons failed to take them up from this division?

Kenny Jackett, was sacked by Portsmouth for only winning one game in eight and who managed a Portsmouth side that finished below us last season?

Kenny Jackett who at Orient last season only won one of their last eight games last season and by the standards set by you and others he should have been sacked by them too. 

Kenny Jackett who has a "recent success" of four wins and one defeat in nine matches this season.

This  rather confirms just how short term failure and success is measured by some - eight or nine games.
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Presumably all those that think Adkins has had enough time to produce a team that is in the promotion shake up after nine games are totally mystified as to how Paul Cook still has a job at Ipswich - his record currently reads - 5 wins from 26 matches and just the one win in all comps this season from 11 games. 
    Don't care about Ipswich comparison (they can sort out their own problems), I am concerned about the shitfest emanating from Mr Adkins direction, which is a problem we need to deal with.
    An expected reaction. Funny that though isn't it. All the time Ipswich were signing players left, right and centre posters on here were saying how they were going to run away with the League and that those players were the very targets we should have been going for. At the same time, when we've been manager less, Cook's name has come up on numerous occasions.

The point I was trying to make is that it takes time to bed a squad in especially when they come at various levels of fitness. Cook is finding that too and he has a very good managerial record and had longer to do so with their recruits. 

People are very selective. They want to choose to ignore the run that we had under Adkins that almost took us into the Play Offs as if that doesn't count on his Charlton CV. We had fit players used to playing with us like Maatsen, Millar, JFC, Gilbey and Aneke on that run. He's had to replace them with no pre season to gel the side. Anyone notice the improvement in Gilbey when he was brought back by Adkins last season? Adkins also explained to those who want to listen why he's had to make so many changes from game to game.

The chances are now that Adkins will be gone soon enough which will please many. so here's one question for the managerial experts on here. Who is the Manager who is going to be prepared to come in and turn this round straightaway. Paul Cook?

The other aspect of the vitriol towards Adkins that I do find strange is how some are throwing his as they would call it, his "happy clappy" persona and how he can't be a strong Manager as a result. Ask DJ whether he thinks that Adkins is incapable of making difficult decisions? Ask DJ whether Adkins sat him down and explained what he needs to do to become a better player. Ask DJ whether Adkins threw him against the wall in doing so. Ask DJ whether he publicly slated him and others and blamed them for our poor results. 

Almost every team goes through a bad run at some point in the season. Should they all be sacked? And how many games do we give the next one? Nine? That might mean we'll have half a dozen Managers this season.
    In no particular order:

John Coleman
    Gareth Ainsworth
    Ryan Lowe
    Matt Taylor
    Simon Weaver 
    Kenny Jackett

I don’t care if some of those teams are currently above us. It’s not being arrogant to say we’re a bigger pull than their current clubs if we offered them the job. All have recent success. 
    I’d love Ainsworth but I’m not actually sure if we are a bigger enough pull at the moment for him, I think he could get a move to the championship.

Ryan Lowe would be an interesting one, they play attacking football, and we could probably nick a few good players off them! 

And it’s not arrogant to suggest we are a bigger club than the likes of Plymouth etc, because we are, we’d offer a bigger transfer budget, bigger stadium, bigger room for growth.  
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    It would not matter how they played at Sunderland, their league position alone makes them favourites. I bet Big Josh is licking his lips looking at our defence.
    Big Josh? 
    Sorry my mistake, it related to Josh McGuinness but just noticed he went to Hull.
  • Options
    I agree with AA, also remember how long it took Ferguson to get United working his way, NA needs support and time, he has turned defeats into draws, now it is time to turn draws into wins. With our size of squad and levels of fitness it is taking time but it is improving.
    One thing that does make me wonder about NA is his reliance on the sports science, as an ex physio maybe he places too much reliance own their views.
  • Options
    It's Ryan Lowe all day for me... with Taylor or Beale in reserve.

What I like about Lowe is he's modern & progressive and plays good football has a good demeanor about him somewhere in the middle of Bow & Adkinsaurus. Not to high, not too low.

Both mostly it's that he's evolved that team showing he's not a one trick pony. He won on promotion, did enough to stay up relatively easily but last season they leaked a lot of goals and this season he's transformed that and they are now one of the best in that area. That shows me somebody that can learn and coach without just throwing money about.

He can grow with the club.
  • Options
    Hal1x said:

In no particular order:

John Coleman
    Gareth Ainsworth
    Ryan Lowe
    Matt Taylor
    Simon Weaver 
    Kenny Jackett

I’d love Ainsworth but I’m not actually sure if we are a bigger enough pull at the moment for him, I think he could get a move to the championship.

Ryan Lowe would be an interesting one, they play attacking football, and we could probably nick a few good players off them! 

And it’s not arrogant to suggest we are a bigger club than the likes of Plymouth etc, because we are, we’d offer a bigger transfer budget, bigger stadium, bigger room for growth.  
    I like Ainsworth who has done incredibly well on limited resources. But we should remember that Wycombe went up vis the Play Offs after finishing in 8th position and only because of PPG. They actually lost 8 of their last 14 games in the League that season and again by the criteria set for Adkins run of nine games would have been long gone before the return to football after the break for the pandemic
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    esseffect said:
    Hal1x said:
    I know a lot of people were underwhelmed with his appointment and I think that's why people have turned on him so quickly, but several people on this thread & the pre match thread have said they hope we lose tonight so that he gets sacked. 

HAVE A BLOODY WORD WITH YOURSELVES!!!!  I felt Bowyer should have gone a few weeks before he did, but I never once wanted Charlton to lose to make it happen.  Absolutely ridiculous!!
    I wasn't really aware of him before he arrived, but I admit I was taken in with the positive bullshit and felt really positive. The reason I have turned was purely on the farscical way we have played and the lack of any sort of plan to improve things. I just don't think he will turn it around.
    The trouble is everybody seems to be underperforming at Charlton at present - I'd like to think a new manager could turn things around but optimism is in short supply.
    Great idea. So like after  bows if we get a new manger who can get results for 10 games then rinse and repeat
    I can't see a single positive this season up to now - we're playing badly, look completely disorganized and sit 22nd in League 1. 

I hope Adkins sorts it out but this season will soon be written off the way things are going.
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    It's Ryan Lowe all day for me... with Taylor or Beale in reserve.

What I like about Lowe is he's modern & progressive and plays good football has a good demeanor about him somewhere in the middle of Bow & Adkinsaurus. Not to high, not too low.

Both mostly it's that he's evolved that team showing he's not a one trick pony. He won on promotion, did enough to stay up relatively easily but last season they leaked a lot of goals and this season he's transformed that and they are now one of the best in that area. That shows me somebody that can learn and coach without just throwing money about.

He can grow with the club.
    Do you think Lowe would have the scope to do that here?  Would he want to bring his back room staff with him?  Would he accept "black box" signings or would he want control of the recruitment? 

I suspect that Lowe, and most of the others mentioned, have absolute control. 
  • Options
    A lot of reasonable posters being quite unreasonable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    JamesSeed said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Their league position hasn't made them favourites though. They're 2/1 against with Paddy Power.
    It's a bit early in the season to base odds on league positions anyway. To me their most recent performance is quite a good indicator of form, especially when they were away against Sunderland who have won six of their last seven games. Yes they lost, but by all accounts they were very unlucky. 
    I've had a small safety bet on Bolton, as I think the bookie's have got it wrong, although I'm obviously hoping we win. We certainly need to.
  • Options
    At the time of his appointment, on paper and with the managers available, I thought Adkins was a good choice.  I appreciate many didn’t and may be being proved right.  However, I seem to remember it being him or the Cowleys as the two most likely options.  I’m not convinced on the Cowleys.  I think it’s too far gone for NA to turn it around, which is a shame as there was a bit of promise when he took over and we’ve bought a lot of new players in over the summer, so I had some enthusiasm.

If he goes I’m 100% behind JJ in that I don’t know who else we could get and I think his affiliation and history with us will give us a bounce
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    All the time Ipswich were signing players left, right and centre posters on here were saying how they were going to run away with the League and that those players were the very targets we should have been going for.

The point I was trying to make is that it takes time to bed a squad in especially when they come at various levels of fitness.
    Yes but we should have gotten the squad finalised in the summer. Regardless of how it turned out for Ipswich, thats always more preferable to cobbling it together at the end of the window. It means our pre-season has become September and October of the actual season, and is a big factor in why the results have been so poor. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    At the time of his appointment, on paper and with the managers available, I thought Adkins was a good choice.  I appreciate many didn’t and may be being proved right.  However, I seem to remember it being him or the Cowleys as the two most likely options.  I’m not convinced on the Cowleys.  I think it’s too far gone for NA to turn it around, which is a shame as there was a bit of promise when he took over and we’ve bought a lot of new players in over the summer, so I had some enthusiasm.

If he goes I’m 100% behind JJ in that I don’t know who else we could get and I think his affiliation and history with us will give us a bounce
    Again it's nine games. Our heaviest defeat was 2-0 to Wigan who are top. The rest have all been by the odd goal. I'm certainly not saying give him the season but we have to give him a chance to turn it around. And by that I would say at least another half a dozen games. Otherwise, as I keep saying, by the benchmark set by those who want him out, after every poor run of eight or nine games we'll be paying more compo and starting all over again. And then repeat.
    At the present time this is a bit past a poor run - his management has appeared utterly clueless this season. Things have to improve significantly in the next few games.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Again it's nine games. Our heaviest defeat was 2-0 to Wigan who are top. The rest have all been by the odd goal. I'm certainly not saying give him the season but we have to give him a chance to turn it around. And by that I would say at least another half a dozen games. Otherwise, as I keep saying, by the benchmark set by those who want him out, after every poor run of eight or nine games we'll be paying more compo and starting all over again. And then repeat.
    6 more seems fair. That could however be the difference in making play offs and not. 
  • Options
    NA has the ultra optimistic personality to match TS, if he goes Ainsworth will be the number one target 🎸 https://youtu.be/qWfI4PxzU70
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    cabbles said:

6 more seems fair. That could however be the difference in making play offs and not. 
    I'd be happy with mid table at present.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    cabbles said:

Here’s the issue for me personally.

We should be competing for automatic spots, we’ve been backed, albeit too late for some, and we have a decent size squad, and a manager with a fairly good record of getting promotion.

I would side with the whole “give him more time” argument if we wasn’t already out of the automatic race.  

Unless you genuinely believe we are still in the race for an automatic spot (13 points behind and played a game more), then we’d agree to disagree.  Or you thought from the start of the season we shouldn’t be competing for an automatic spot, again we’d agree to disagree.

So in simple terms.

My expectation: competing for automatic promotion.

Outcome: after just 9 games we are out of the automatic promotion race.

That’s a sackable offence IMO.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    cabbles said:

Indeed. But is a new manager going to be able to turn things around from the very first day. We've gone from not having enough players to a Manager having to get to know and assess any number in a nanosecond. There will still be an element of "trial and error" for anyone who comes in.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Hal1x said:
    All the time Ipswich were signing players left, right and centre posters on here were saying how they were going to run away with the League and that those players were the very targets we should have been going for.

The point I was trying to make is that it takes time to bed a squad in especially when they come at various levels of fitness.
    Yes but we should have gotten the squad finalised in the summer. Regardless of how it turned out for Ipswich, thats always more preferable to cobbling it together at the end of the window. It means our pre-season has become September and October of the actual season, and is a big factor in why the results have been so poor. 
    Is that Adkins fault?
    Nope.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Thing is it's like tomorrow never comes Dazzler, how many "win his next game's" is he going to need,, we need consistent games won not one now and then..appreciate he has to start somewhere, but ffs, how much leeway is he going to need before the penny drops in Thomass lap..
  • Options
    cabbles said:

We should be competing for automatic spots, we’ve been backed, albeit too late for some, and we have a decent size squad, and a manager with a fairly good record of getting promotion.

I would side with the whole “give him more time argument” if we wasn’t already out of the automatic race.  

Unless you genuinely believe we are still in the race for an automatic spot, then we’d agree to disagree.  Or you thought from the start of the season we shouldn’t be competing for an automatic spot, again we’d agree to disagree.

So in simple terms.

I won't deny that promotion is looking very unlikely, but it's not that bad.......yet.

13 points behind with 37 games remaining is hardly out of it.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I would side with the whole “give him more time argument” if we wasn’t already out of the automatic race.  

Unless you genuinely believe we are still in the race for an automatic spot, then we’d agree to disagree.  Or you thought from the start of the season we shouldn’t be competing for an automatic spot, again we’d agree to disagree.

So in simple terms.

I won't deny that promotion is looking very unlikely, but it's not that bad.......yet.

Yeah and we could agree to disagree on that, but you understand my position.  It is 13 points and a game more, so technical it’s 14 or 16 points behind when you consider how they are both playing.  And 25/1 with the bookies.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I would side with the whole “give him more time” argument if we wasn’t already out of the automatic race.  

Unless you genuinely believe we are still in the race for an automatic spot (13 points behind and played a game more), then we’d agree to disagree.  Or you thought from the start of the season we shouldn’t be competing for an automatic spot, again we’d agree to disagree.

So in simple terms.

Do you think the squad we had, up to and including the Crewe game was automatic promotion worthy?

That was 4 games ago, of which we have drawn the last two.  None of the players we brought in, bar Lavelle, are/were match fit yet.

If Adkins was 100% responsible for that I would say he should go.  I don't think he is.  Thats the problem with committees.  I would also imagine there is a lot of internal finger pointing going on. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:

So in simple terms.

Yeah and we could agree to disagree on that, but you understand my position.  It is 13 points and a game more, so technical it’s 14 or 16 points behind when you consider how they are both playing.  And 25/1 with the bookies.
    If we got rid of Adkins today.
    Considering the poor start to the season, and with the squad being new.
    What would be an acceptable finishing position  for the incoming manager?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:

So in simple terms.

Do you think the squad we had, up to and including the Crewe game was automatic promotion worthy?

That was 4 games ago, of which we have drawn the last two.  None of the players we brought in, bar Lavelle, are/were match fit yet.

If Adkins was 100% responsible for that I would say he should go.  I don't think he is.  Thats the problem with committees.  I would also imagine there is a lot of internal finger pointing going on. 
    On your first point, which is fair.  I think even if our squad at that point isn’t automatic quality, he still had tools for us not to be in the bottom four now.  Like this time last season we still found a way to scrape a few points to keep us in contention before we assembled a squad.

On the last point, no way is it ever 100% someone’s fault.  I can’t put a % on how much is his fault, but this league position is unforgivable and our squad, even with the late formation of, should not be out of the automatic promotion race already. 

Basically if the chips are down, as much as some have suggested, he, as manager has gotta find a way to get through it without us being out of the race for top two this soon.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!