Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Adkins Out? - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    masicat said:
    It’s when things aren’t going too well at Charlton that you realise how little your fellow supporters actually know about football. Adkins is responsible for the players on the pitch. The person who should be sacked is the person responsible for paying 2p an hour and dragging the window out so we get unfit players through the door who are crap. Maybe if Adkins can get this load of shit actually playing well he deserves manager of the season.
    We literally net spent more than any other team.  

Well more than Ipswich, Sunderland, Wigan, Pompey unless there’s someone I’ve missed out.
  • Options
    You can get rid of Adkins, the new manager needs more than 10 games though.

• Options
    Failed at Reading
    Failed at Sheff U
    Failed at Hull. 

Doesn’t know what his best team is at CAFC. 
    Need him gone. 
    We will lose the next 2 anyway, so we might as well bite the bullet now and make a change. 
    Never failed at Hull…look what he done at Southampton and Scunthorpe..as well as missed out on the play offs on goal difference.. give the fella a chance 
    Hull
    first full season in charge - finished 13th. 
    Left by mutual consent at the end of the season. 
    Hardly success is it ?

Soton was 2010 - so far back it doesn’t mean anything now. 
    Hull were on their arses when he came in and saved them from relegation ending the season in 13th so he done the first part.
    Secondly he left the club as the board whom have made no investment to the club and stripped all the assets had no ambition and didn’t want to invest…can you blame him for walking ?
  • Options
    Failed at Reading
    Failed at Sheff U
    Failed at Hull. 

Need him gone. 
    We will lose the next 2 anyway, so we might as well bite the bullet now and make a change. 
    Never failed at Hull…look what he done at Southampton and Scunthorpe..as well as missed out on the play offs on goal difference.. give the fella a chance 
    Hull
    Hardly success is it ?

Hull were on their arses when he came in and saved them from relegation ending the season in 13th so he done the first part.
    Secondly he left the club as the board whom have made no investment to the club and stripped all the assets had no ambition and didn’t want to invest…can you blame him for walking ?
    We are on our arses now, no structure, no style, no clue and there has been investment . Bye nige 👋🏻 
  • Options
    lonman said:
    I agree with the posters on here that are saying knee jerk to sack Adkins. The clamouring for Johnnie Jackson is actually quite embarrassing. Johnnie Jackson is at least partly responsible for what we are seeing at the moment. I was never a "Bowyer Out" guy either. Sometimes things in life need a little time to develop that doesn't just apply to football. There have been improvements since the start of the season and I thought Second Half yesterday we looked good. I believe if we stick with Adkins, Support him (Not boo him) he will come good. A lot of this we can put down to a late summer recruitment drive that meant some players only arrived a few weeks ago is Adkins to blame for that ? Tbh I don't know if he was or wasn't, but I can only go on the fact he said he wanted all new recruits in for start of summer training.

Where are the improvements ? We played ok against SW and have been rubbish for all bar a game and a half since.  I’d argue we weren’t actually that good against Crewe.
  • Options
    Failed at Reading
    Failed at Sheff U
    Failed at Hull. 

Need him gone. 
    Hull
    Hardly success is it ?

We are on our arses now, no structure, no style, no clue and there has been investment . Bye nige 👋🏻 
    Who would you replace him with? Are you expecting an upturn in results straight away? How long would you give him before giving him the boot?
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    lonman said:
    I agree with the posters on here that are saying knee jerk to sack Adkins. The clamouring for Johnnie Jackson is actually quite embarrassing. Johnnie Jackson is at least partly responsible for what we are seeing at the moment. I was never a "Bowyer Out" guy either. Sometimes things in life need a little time to develop that doesn't just apply to football. There have been improvements since the start of the season and I thought Second Half yesterday we looked good. I believe if we stick with Adkins, Support him (Not boo him) he will come good. A lot of this we can put down to a late summer recruitment drive that meant some players only arrived a few weeks ago is Adkins to blame for that ? Tbh I don't know if he was or wasn't, but I can only go on the fact he said he wanted all new recruits in for start of summer training.

Where are the improvements ? We played ok against SW and have been rubbish for all bar a game and a half since.  I’d argue we weren’t actually that good against Crewe.
    OK. Crewe compared to Wigan was an improvement. I was away for the Cheltenham game so missed that but from what I heard we definitely regressed from the Crew performance. I was up at Wycombe and accept that the performance was unacceptable until the last 10 minutes. However, Gillingham first half was a good performance, slipped a bit in the 2nd but was an improvement over Wycombe. Yesterday I thought was also an improvement over last saturday. So we are moving in the right direction. Definitely not there yet but I do believe we are moving forward. Lets see what tuesday night has in store for us
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jonniesta said:
    Too knee-jerk to sack him yet, for me. Not impressed so far and we're at an all time low, but I was calling for an overhaul of the squad and to build from a stable platform. That's happened, and 10 games is too soon to throw that away. Sacking him now undermines everything Sandgaard is trying to build. We'd need to start again, build another team no-one cares about. For me, he has until Christmas to turn this properly around. 
    A good alternative view to mine. My only worry is that we are so clueless that what damage may have been done by December 
  • Options
    Changing multiple players each game, no real style of play. Going to need a big turnaround and quickly. TS last few tweets show he's running out of time. 
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    Too knee-jerk to sack him yet, for me. Not impressed so far and we're at an all time low, but I was calling for an overhaul of the squad and to build from a stable platform. That's happened, and 10 games is too soon to throw that away. Sacking him now undermines everything Sandgaard is trying to build. We'd need to start again, build another team no-one cares about. For me, he has until Christmas to turn this properly around. 
    A good alternative view to mine. My only worry is that we are so clueless that what damage may have been done by December 
    Agree that's a risk, but our best years have always included a very bad run at times. Powell and Curbs were not exempt on that. Bowyer may be the exception, he actually didn't include a bad run, he got the best out of an average squad and may have carried it on without an injury nightmare, but I think that was a bit of a freak occurrence. And then he had a terrible run when back in this division. Not saying Nige is the answer, but more patience than we're used to in the last 5 years has a greater chance of yielding long-term success. I think football is fine margins. We're not getting stuffed every game, we're losing by the odd goal. We've dropped into that annoying habit of only playing well in patches. But I've seen nothing as bad as Blackpool last year. I know that's still not good enough, but I want to see if he can turn it round. 
  • Options
    I think these calls for Adkins out are from the remnants of the ‘Curbs Out’ brigade who still meet quietly in a pub somewhere in Eltham. We are searching , we will find you. You can’t hide forever.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Again.
    How long does the next manager get if we sack Adkins?

Not long if he only wins 1 in 9 and we play boring turgid dog ooo long ball football up to a lone striker

long enough if we improve and win football matches.
    Same manager who lost one in 11 … last season short memories again 
  • Options
    Listening to the commentators yesterday, I've done a bit of a U-turn and reckon he should be given a few games more. 
  • Options
    lonman said:
    wmcf123 said:
    lonman said:

OK. Crewe compared to Wigan was an improvement. I was away for the Cheltenham game so missed that but from what I heard we definitely regressed from the Crew performance. I was up at Wycombe and accept that the performance was unacceptable until the last 10 minutes. However, Gillingham first half was a good performance, slipped a bit in the 2nd but was an improvement over Wycombe. Yesterday I thought was also an improvement over last saturday. So we are moving in the right direction. Definitely not there yet but I do believe we are moving forward. Lets see what tuesday night has in store for us
    I think we do need to factor in that Crewe were shite. I think we started the season with no goals in the team, we now have that but confidence is low and a few are hiding. When I say that I mean not taking up incisive balls and making the runs. A good win and we could certainly go on a run. But we are still pretty fragile.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    clb74 said:
    Again.

Not long if he only wins 1 in 9 and we play boring turgid dog ooo long ball football up to a lone striker

One in 10
  • Options
    lonman said:
    wmcf123 said:
    lonman said:

I think we do need to factor in that Crewe were shite. I think we started the season with no goals in the team, we now have that but confidence is low and a few are hiding. When I say that I mean not taking up incisive balls and making the runs. A good win and we could certainly go on a run. But we are still pretty fragile.
    Yes, it's not a massive achievement beating a Crewe side stripped of nearly all their best players, having to rebuild their side with a shoestring budget (free transfers and loanees)

What's worrying is that in the next 4 matches against Cheltenham, Wycombe, Gillingham and Pompey - only 2 of which are currently in the top half of the table - we managed just 2 points out of 12. At the moment I'm struggling to see upcoming fixtures where I'd EXPECT us to win, with the way we're playing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We’ve played just about 1/5 of the season and have gained 6 points. 3 of those point were against Crewe, not exactly a team pulling up trees.  If we continue down this road with the current setup there is a very reasonable chance we will be a league lower next season. 
    Nigel Adkins is a likeable man, or may appear so from the outside. I don’t like seeing people lose their jobs  but this seasons results are not good enough so far.  It’s his team and squad, he makes the calls. He has changed formations a few times and still comes up short. 
    We can’t allow the season to creep away from us and be sucked into a relegation battle which is looking more likely with each game under this team. 
    Time to go.

• Options
    clb74 said:
    Again.

My memory isn’t short, I remember Last season, which has come and gone. I only care about the current season and we are a turgid long ball team with 1 win in 9.  Please highlight the parts of this post which are incorrect?
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Again.

Talking of short memories, wasnt it 1 in 10?
  • Options
    Last season, after 16 games, Oxford had 16 points. At the same stage we had 30 points. Oxford made the Play Offs and we didn't.

Seasons are littered with sides who start badly but end up getting promoted and teams that go the other way. Our season could be broken up into three distinct parts:

First 16: 30 points
    Middle 15: 14 points
    Final 15: 30 points

Adkins was very much a part of the final third to the season.

So, to those who say that we have no chance of making the Play Offs after 9 games I would look at our finish last season under Adkins and then consider that we need to take 10 points from our next 7 matches to be in the same position as Oxford were last year. 

Interesting stats, but the bare truth is that Bolton will beat us, and we might get a point at Fleetwood.
    We can't score, don't play to our strengths, we leave better players on the bench and team selection makes us look a basket case.

IMO, we won't be looking up the table - we will be looking down if we stay with NADS.
    Ordinary teams (and Pompey are exactly that this season) are taking points from us on a regular basis.

If fans were asked before the start of this season to predict a points tally from our games so far, I reckon most would have said approx 15 points from the 9 games. We have 6.

So, 20% of the season has gone and we will need to total about 50 points to stay up, so we should be on around 10 point today.

There's the stat that needs absorbing !
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Again.

That was last season. Totally irrelevant to what is happening now. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    This is aimed directly at Nige's door, only thing missing is the FFS at the end..Poor old Thomas, must be pulling what is left of his hair out by the roots in frustration as his fortune is slowly disappearing over the hill, can't see him sitting on his hands for much longer...hopefully B)
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Again.

Last season's record should have no bearing on whether we keep him now. 

Leicester won the Premier league under Ranieri, but they still sacked him the following season when they were performing badly and hovering around the relegation zone.

However you could argue Adkins had a better team last season, as he had Millar, Maatsen, JFC and Aneke in it. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!