Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Adkins Out? - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    I'm in fact going to list every unfortunate circumstance that has blighted our central midfield alone and left Adkins without a dominant spine to build around:

- JFC. On the payroll, return uncertain. 

- Gilbey. Long Covid, came back rusty, unclear when he'll find his groove again.

- Watson's forced contract extension. We'd otherwise have someone who can run, although he's possibly playing better than expected (given the rightly low expectations)

- Dobson. Looking like a failed signing, although I've seen flashes that tell me he might get it together. Hasn't really happened in the league yet.

- Arter. A terrible white-elephant signing of the sort that was always obviously going to be a fucking fiasco but whose pedigree understandably blinded everyone involved, including most of our fans. Blind no longer thank god, but that doesn't solve the problem that he's on the payroll and taking up a squad space.

- Clare has been injured half the time.

- Morgan. Perhaps the biggest factor of all and the one Adkins shares the most culpability in. We backed the wrong horse, simple as that. 

That is an awful lot of bad luck, I'd say. More than most managers have to deal with. Letting go of Pratley was a completely fair and even obvious call (quit your clamouring, he's gone), but what's happened since then has been...far from ideal. 
    We know some players aren’t fit, are you really completely writing off Arter? Is it not possible for him to turn out to be better than Watson once he’s fully fit?
  • Options
    Honestly, that was almost down there with The Ledley Half. I can forgive ineptitude, bad passing, clumsy violence, Darren Pratley etc, but I can't forgive lack of effort, hiding and having no impact from the middle of the park. He's been with the Ireland squad and has now had a month with us; I can't see him getting much fitter or trying much harder. The Forest fans warned us in no uncertain terms what we were getting.
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Presumably all those that think Adkins has had enough time to produce a team that is in the promotion shake up after nine games are totally mystified as to how Paul Cook still has a job at Ipswich - his record currently reads - 5 wins from 26 matches and just the one win in all comps this season from 11 games. 
    Don't care about Ipswich comparison (they can sort out their own problems), I am concerned about the shitfest emanating from Mr Adkins direction, which is a problem we need to deal with.
    An expected reaction. Funny that though isn't it. All the time Ipswich were signing players left, right and centre posters on here were saying how they were going to run away with the League and that those players were the very targets we should have been going for. At the same time, when we've been manager less, Cook's name has come up on numerous occasions.

The point I was trying to make is that it takes time to bed a squad in especially when they come at various levels of fitness. Cook is finding that too and he has a very good managerial record and had longer to do so with their recruits. 

People are very selective. They want to choose to ignore the run that we had under Adkins that almost took us into the Play Offs as if that doesn't count on his Charlton CV. We had fit players used to playing with us like Maatsen, Millar, JFC, Gilbey and Aneke on that run. He's had to replace them with no pre season to gel the side. Anyone notice the improvement in Gilbey when he was brought back by Adkins last season? Adkins also explained to those who want to listen why he's had to make so many changes from game to game.

The chances are now that Adkins will be gone soon enough which will please many. so here's one question for the managerial experts on here. Who is the Manager who is going to be prepared to come in and turn this round straightaway. Paul Cook?

The other aspect of the vitriol towards Adkins that I do find strange is how some are throwing his as they would call it, his "happy clappy" persona and how he can't be a strong Manager as a result. Ask DJ whether he thinks that Adkins is incapable of making difficult decisions? Ask DJ whether Adkins sat him down and explained what he needs to do to become a better player. Ask DJ whether Adkins threw him against the wall in doing so. Ask DJ whether he publicly slated him and others and blamed them for our poor results. 

Almost every team goes through a bad run at some point in the season. Should they all be sacked? And how many games do we give the next one? Nine? That might mean we'll have half a dozen Managers this season.
    In no particular order:

John Coleman
    Gareth Ainsworth
    Ryan Lowe
    Matt Taylor
    Simon Weaver 
    Kenny Jackett

I don’t care if some of those teams are currently above us. It’s not being arrogant to say we’re a bigger pull than their current clubs if we offered them the job. All have recent success. 

Kenny Jackett, who took over at Portsmouth in 2017 and in four seasons failed to take them up from this division?

Kenny Jackett, was sacked by Portsmouth for only winning one game in eight and who managed a Portsmouth side that finished below us last season?

Kenny Jackett who at Orient last season only won one of their last eight games last season and by the standards set by you and others he should have been sacked by them too. 

Kenny Jackett who has a "recent success" of four wins and one defeat in nine matches this season.

This  rather confirms just how short term failure and success is measured by some - eight or nine games.
    And the other five? 
    Ainsworth I've already commented on above. Coleman is a one club man who has flirted with others but I very much doubt with almost a thousand games there in two spells he will ever leave. Taylor I mentioned on a thread last year about how well he was doing at Exeter but what success has he had measured by promotions? Lowe has done well at Plymouth but last season they finished 18th and we thrashed them, under Adkins, 6-0 at their place. Weaver is an interesting one but again he is a one Club man and has managed Harrogate since 2009. His father also happens to own the Club!

There are loads of names that will be thrown up but they will all have at this level more questions than answers. The time to throw those in the ring is when we have given Adkins long enough to prove that he isn't up to it rather than a period when we think he might not.
  • Options
    I think Arter and Watson were trying to do the same role. I haven't written Arter off yet.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The question we need to ask is whether the possibility the mitigations for Adkins have some validity. I would say there are three main ones. The first we should discount because he signed up for it which is that he hasn't chosen the players. Also, we have some decent players so it isn't unreasonable things should be better. The second is the lateness of arrivals and relative fitness of players. We all know a settled side which is also fit is important. This could have some weight and explain the chopping and changing which has been an issue.

The final one is key and linked to the second. It is can he turn it round and quickly? If there are signs he can, we should stick with him. If you take the point we have been playing catch up, when is a reasonable time to have caught up? This is key to Adkins' future as a run like we have been on has to end and not be repeated. So he must be walking a tightrope now. He has to be. He has to start winning now. 

I believe a good win and the confidence it will bring could have a major impact and Tuesday is where it probably needs to happen. 
    I think it's right that Adkins is under pressure now.  At the end of the day, unless we are told other wise, the buck stops with him.  But I am not convinced that a) it won't improve and b) removing him now will fix the problems.

Some of the things I would like to know the answers to, before I go full Adkins out are:

1)  Who decided Clare, Dobson and Morgan was good enough and then who decided they weren't.

2)  Who decided who the back room staff are?  Will they be prescribed to the next manager?

3)  Do we play 4231/433 because Adkins is the manager or is Adkins the manager because he prefers that system? 

4) Will removing Adkins make the players fitter?

In my opinion to be successful, at this level, the manager needs full control of transfers, team selection, tactics, back room staff selection etc etc if they are going to be fully responsible for the results.

Maybe he does need to go but if the next person is plugged into the same restrictions you'll get, generally, the same results. 
    Good questions and some important points. I wanted Adkins to go but we’re at least seeing us create more chances and it’s become clear several players aren’t yet fit enough. Draws aren’t enough but I’m more hopeful he’ll turn it around than I was a week ago.

On the point about control when did we last give a manager full control of transfers?

Bowyer’s signings had to be approved by Driesen and RD. He couldn’t stop Grant being sold either.

I don’t believe Powell wanted Alonso and Clarke.

From the CAST call with Gallen and Roddy assuming you believe them Adkins agrees (or not) to a signing Gallen and Roddy want and then TS has to sign it off. Gallen talked about needing the manager to want the player as they’re the one working with them every day.

Owners and DOF/chief scouts will always have a say. We’re adding Roddy to that. It’s four people who have to agree, the same as it was under Bowyer. I don’t think it’s restrictions that have led to NA struggling, I think it’s much more about mistakes in the window and fitness levels.

Hopefully he’ll soon prove it’s little to do with him being a football dinosaur or losing the dressing room, two things I’ve seen suggested more than once.
    Of course you will never have full control of who is sold etc but there is a big difference between the owner having a veto, or even delegating it, and the manager having a veto. 

I find it remarkable that Adkins, a 15 year veteran, hasn't brought in a single member of his own staff.  No number 2, no chief scout, no fitness person, no coach of any kind.  It was understandable last season. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I am divided on this. Is the position we are in solely down to NA? For example, was he happy that we did the majority of our transfer business so late in the day? Was he in agreement that a LB wasn't a matter of urgency as soon as Purrington got injured? Personally I think they are two of the problems we have started so badly.
    Many are unhappy with the Dobson and Clare signings who did come in early, but with a 4 man committee do they all have to agree? So they may not be NA signings if was he outnumbered? I don't know the answers perhaps others on here do!
    What I am unhappy with is what seems a general lack of fitness. If you look at Portsmouth they had bags of energy where we had long periods of not pressing and sitting back.We can all see the constant use of 1 upfront doesn't work but with the exception of Crewe that is exactly how we set up every time. Both these things are down to NA. Last season he seemed to get the best out of players where this season there are some who don't seem bothered at all. What has changed?
    Where I will defend him temporarily is with the constant changing of personnel each game. I would love a settled team but my team would include Purrington/Soare, Gilbey, Arter and Lee. None of those at present are in a position to play 2 games in 3/4 games and all need to build up their fitness levels.. Lee is perhaps the exception but he doesn't seem capable of lasting 90 mins without tiring.
    So I am at the stage of not Adkins out but the clock is certainly ticking. Should he remain I would be surprised if we remained in the relegation zone and if a new manager came in tomorrow I think automatics are pretty much gone with play offs a possibility but realistically just missing out would seem more likely. 
    A new manager will also cost TS more money in terms of paying NA off as well as others if they want to bring in their own backroom staff. In addition, it maybe a very expensive January transfer window if the new guy agrees with some on here that more than half the squad aren't good enough and need replacing. I doubt if TS really wants any of that!
  • Options
    Has he gone yet? I'm having a shite day and could do with some good news.
  • Options
    the fact the players came in late is the only excuse for Adkins 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    the fact the players came in late is the only excuse for Adkins 
    And aren't fit. 
  • Options
    I don't know but don't think the players have taken to Adkins. Not surprising when he doesn't seem to know the formation he wants or how he wants the team to play. 
    I sat between the two technical areas on Saturday. The Portsmouth coaches were all talking to the manager passing on what they saw on the field and ideas. JJ and Jason were just sat on the bench for the first half although a bit more animated in the second half. Is that because he doesn't listen to them?
    The Portsmouth threat in the first half came mostly down their left wing with their full back going on the overlap. He was left unmarked for most of the time as all our midfield seemed to be playing chase the ball. This was right under Adkins nose but he didn't do anything about it. The Portsmouth coaches were trying to give him a pointer too as they kept shouting "Two on one" when their two players were running at Matthews.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The one thing I don't really get about Adkins is his treatment of Dobson so far. Last season we really struggled with a lack of quality in that deepest midfield role. In Pratley we had a mobile tackling machine, but someone who wasn't quite good enough on the ball to run the show. In Watson we had a much better player with the ball (and still do, see his pass to CBT) but a player who couldn't get around the pitch. Dobson had a great season at Wimbledon and was identified as being more in the Pratley mold, but better with the ball at his feet, which is what we needed; we suffered much more with Watson's immobility than we did Pratley's lack of finesse last season. Dobson has obviously struggled at a bigger club before, and he didn't make a great start, but I'm really surprised at how sparingly he's been used since. Arter was obviously brought in to take over that role, and I'm really confused that Dobson hasn't got more time on the pitch. I'd rather see him out there than Watson because ultimately it's Dobson who we need to develop, he's only 23. Given Adkins' fondness for working with players and rehabilitating them into the squad Dobson seems to stand out as the strangest repeated absence, especially as the alternatives in his spot aren't exactly holding the place down themselves; DJ might feel hard done by but Leko, CBT and Lee have all offered something more when they've played.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    At the time of his appointment, on paper and with the managers available, I thought Adkins was a good choice.  I appreciate many didn’t and may be being proved right.  However, I seem to remember it being him or the Cowleys as the two most likely options.  I’m not convinced on the Cowleys.  I think it’s too far gone for NA to turn it around, which is a shame as there was a bit of promise when he took over and we’ve bought a lot of new players in over the summer, so I had some enthusiasm.

If he goes I’m 100% behind JJ in that I don’t know who else we could get and I think his affiliation and history with us will give us a bounce
    Again it's nine games. Our heaviest defeat was 2-0 to Wigan who are top. The rest have all been by the odd goal. I'm certainly not saying give him the season but we have to give him a chance to turn it around. And by that I would say at least another half a dozen games. Otherwise, as I keep saying, by the benchmark set by those who want him out, after every poor run of eight or nine games we'll be paying more compo and starting all over again. And then repeat.
    I take your point. I just think the tide of fan opinion is against him, I don’t think he really knows what his best XI and set up should be and I don’t know if he’s showing signs of being able to get more out of the players
  • Options
    Has he gone yet? I'm having a shite day and could do with some good news.
    You can share mine

What a nutter! I'm probably related.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The question we need to ask is whether the possibility the mitigations for Adkins have some validity. I would say there are three main ones. The first we should discount because he signed up for it which is that he hasn't chosen the players. Also, we have some decent players so it isn't unreasonable things should be better. The second is the lateness of arrivals and relative fitness of players. We all know a settled side which is also fit is important. This could have some weight and explain the chopping and changing which has been an issue.

The final one is key and linked to the second. It is can he turn it round and quickly? If there are signs he can, we should stick with him. If you take the point we have been playing catch up, when is a reasonable time to have caught up? This is key to Adkins' future as a run like we have been on has to end and not be repeated. So he must be walking a tightrope now. He has to be. He has to start winning now. 

I believe a good win and the confidence it will bring could have a major impact and Tuesday is where it probably needs to happen. 
    I think it's right that Adkins is under pressure now.  At the end of the day, unless we are told other wise, the buck stops with him.  But I am not convinced that a) it won't improve and b) removing him now will fix the problems.

Some of the things I would like to know the answers to, before I go full Adkins out are:

1)  Who decided Clare, Dobson and Morgan was good enough and then who decided they weren't.

2)  Who decided who the back room staff are?  Will they be prescribed to the next manager?

3)  Do we play 4231/433 because Adkins is the manager or is Adkins the manager because he prefers that system? 

In my opinion to be successful, at this level, the manager needs full control of transfers, team selection, tactics, back room staff selection etc etc if they are going to be fully responsible for the results.

Maybe he does need to go but if the next person is plugged into the same restrictions you'll get, generally, the same results. 
    Good questions and some important points. I wanted Adkins to go but we’re at least seeing us create more chances and it’s become clear several players aren’t yet fit enough. Draws aren’t enough but I’m more hopeful he’ll turn it around than I was a week ago.

On the point about control when did we last give a manager full control of transfers?

Bowyer’s signings had to be approved by Driesen and RD. He couldn’t stop Grant being sold either.

From the CAST call with Gallen and Roddy assuming you believe them Adkins agrees (or not) to a signing Gallen and Roddy want and then TS has to sign it off. Gallen talked about needing the manager to want the player as they’re the one working with them every day.

Owners and DOF/chief scouts will always have a say. We’re adding Roddy to that. It’s four people who have to agree, the same as it was under Bowyer. I don’t think it’s restrictions that have led to NA struggling, I think it’s much more about mistakes in the window and fitness levels.

Hopefully he’ll soon prove it’s little to do with him being a football dinosaur or losing the dressing room, two things I’ve seen suggested more than once.
    Of course you will never have full control of who is sold etc but there is a big difference between the owner having a veto, or even delegating it, and the manager having a veto. 

I find it remarkable that Adkins, a 15 year veteran, hasn't brought in a single member of his own staff.  No number 2, no chief scout, no fitness person, no coach of any kind.  It was understandable last season. 
    I think he's former No. 2 took over Port Vale last season to keep them up just before Adkins joined us.  They are now 4th in the promotion mix.   
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I think he's former No. 2 took over Port Vale last season to keep them up just before Adkins joined us.  They are now 4th in the promotion mix.   
    He is the assistant manager there isn't he?

Dean Wilkins his 1st team coach is number 2 at stevenage and his sports science guy is still at Reading.  I am not suggesting putting the band back together, I just find it strange.

Bowyer appointed Marshall and Bassey and took Marshall to Brum.  Even gobo and slade brought their choice of people in. 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    I honestly think we have good enough players for a promotion push. Adkins has to find the formation and players in squad to do that.
    Should certainly be better than bottom four.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I don’t understand it either. I guess it ties in with the pathway to the first team / promoting from within model that we have adopted.  If we do change it, I’d quite like a totally blank canvas - new manager, assistant, coach, fitness coach etc, etc. Harsh I guess on Jackson, but there are too many people left over from previous shit shows.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Dean Wilkins his 1st team coach is number 2 at stevenage and his sports science guy is still at Reading.  I am not suggesting putting the band back together, I just find it strange.

Bowyer appointed Marshall and Bassey and took Marshall to Brum.  Even gobo and slade brought their choice of people in. 
    I think your right on that, either way he wasn't available.   
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I think your right on that, either way he wasn't available.   
    As I understand it, he was available in the summer, before recommiting to Notts County.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Then I stand corrected.

TS though, I imagine wanted to keep JJ at the club when Bowyer left and would have made assurances to JJ before recruiting Adkins.  I don't know this for certain but it seems logical as JJ took the reigns till Adkins came in. Adkins was also happy to promote Euell.  It all seemed to fit with TS idea of management structure and progression, obviously Adkins was happy with this.     
  • Options
    Keeping Jackson was a a political move by Sandgaard. He knows how important Jackson is to us. I suspect Adkins will have preferred his own team. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Keeping Jackson was a a political move by Sandgaard. He knows how important Jackson is to us. I suspect Adkins will have preferred his own team. 
    And (out of work) beggars can’t be choosers 😉.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    There might have been an undertone knowing it would have pissed of the natives but TS has shown calm planning and thought towards people that were currently employed.  I personally believe there was more to keeping JJ from TS than just politics.  
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    - Dobson. Looking like a failed signing, although I've seen flashes that tell me he might get it together. Hasn't really happened in the league yet.

- Arter. A terrible white-elephant signing of the sort that was always obviously going to be a fucking fiasco but whose pedigree understandably blinded everyone involved, including most of our fans. Blind no longer thank god, but that doesn't solve the problem that he's on the payroll and taking up a squad space.

I think most of your post is bang on the money there. If Arter wasn't fit he wouldn't of joined the Ireland camp surely? On Saturday he was awful, his signing 
    IMHO smacks of panic.

The only point I would disagree with is Dobson, he might turn out good. Some players just take a bit of time to settle into a new club, especially with our form when he was in the team, nobody was playing well.   
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    cabbles said:
    At the time of his appointment, on paper and with the managers available, I thought Adkins was a good choice.  I appreciate many didn’t and may be being proved right.  However, I seem to remember it being him or the Cowleys as the two most likely options.  I’m not convinced on the Cowleys.  I think it’s too far gone for NA to turn it around, which is a shame as there was a bit of promise when he took over and we’ve bought a lot of new players in over the summer, so I had some enthusiasm.

If he goes I’m 100% behind JJ in that I don’t know who else we could get and I think his affiliation and history with us will give us a bounce
    Again it's nine games. Our heaviest defeat was 2-0 to Wigan who are top. The rest have all been by the odd goal. I'm certainly not saying give him the season but we have to give him a chance to turn it around. And by that I would say at least another half a dozen games. Otherwise, as I keep saying, by the benchmark set by those who want him out, after every poor run of eight or nine games we'll be paying more compo and starting all over again. And then repeat.
    6 more seems fair. That could however be the difference in making play offs and not. 
    I think you're correct on auto's but not the play-offs. I'm sure teams have made a run starting in Jan & made the play-offs/promotion.
    Yep.

Blackpool last season, for example.
    And in recent seasons, Barnsley and poxy Millwall.

There'll be other teams that made dreadful starts, finally getting it together and making top 6.

And don't forget there's the teams that make terrific starts to the season and then dramatically fall away.
    In recent years Scunthorpe, Sunderland, Portsmouth etc; Ipswich last season (oh, and Charlton - 6 wins on the spin, looking invincible).

Nothing is set in stone. There's 37 games to play ..... plenty of games for teams to either collapse or come good.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Perfect example of dammed if you do, damned if you don’t.

Probably would have been uproar if TS let Jacko go. How can you win?
  • Options

I think most of your post is bang on the money there. If Arter wasn't fit he wouldn't of joined the Ireland camp surely? On Saturday he was awful, his signing 
    IMHO smacks of panic.

The only point I would disagree with is Dobson, he might turn out good. Some players just take a bit of time to settle into a new club, especially with our form when he was in the team, nobody was playing well.   
    Arter did join the Ireland squad but the Manager said it wasn't ideal as he is not match fit. Don't think they have an abundance of options to be honest.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Nothing is set in stone. There's 37 games to play ..... plenty of games for teams to either collapse or come good.
    Fingers crossed we're just having our bad patch/run early this season!!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Fingers crossed we're just having our bad patch/run early this season!!
    Yeah .... last season we had our bad patch during a number of months in the middle of the season, before finishing strongly.

Each and every team is going to hit a bad patch at various points of the season, including those already in the top 6.
    You can depend on it.

But none of this is going to matter if we don't get our act together - and soon.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!