Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Adkins Out? - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    I can only echo a lot of the reasoned and justified argument for letting NA go now.

I absolutely agree that as a man, I think he's one of the good ones. After the rumblings about LB being pretty "old school" and harsh, I think that NAs positive approach is what I would do - talking up the players and trying to build a team from a squad. For me, this is what makes this decision harder - he says the right kind of things that many people would naturally buy in to when you are selling an approach, an ideology.

However, the cold, hard facts are that football is ruthlessly result-driven. As a manager, you are always a few bad games away from the door. Personally (and I think a few others said it), I think he needed 4 points from Pompey/Bolton to justify a stay of execution. He got one. It's very worrying because you can't see where the points are coming from right now, particularly when you are getting beaten by teams at home that have just come up from L2. No-one gets relegated in September, but we're not competing in games.

I want him to go. I don't think he can save it. I think his team selections and tactics are regularly wrong, plus the players don't seem to have the desire to play for him. A new manager would give us a lift and, imo, we should be looking at one of the new breed of managers that have built teams for success with very little. NA just looks out of his depth and is desperately rolling the dice every game to find a win, but in doing do, he recklessly destroys any small element of progress from the previous game.

As much as it is romantic, neither Curbs (far too long out) nor JJ/Euell (inexperience) are the answer either. Having "one of our own" is needlessly restrictive and you can point at countless examples of clubs that don't rely on this crutch. Plenty of solid candidates out there that would relish the challenge.
  • Options
    It’s time you clown, it’s time.  
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Scoham said:
    For those arguing Curbs is not the answer worth remembering that Graham Taylor went back to Watford at the age of 52 and took them from League One to the Premier League in a couple of seasons.

The fact you have to go back to the late 90s shows how rarely it happens.

If you give JJ and Euell a go as caretakers we can see if they get an instant reaction.

If Curbs comes in he’ll have to get plenty of time to turn it around. Imagine if he doesn’t and he oversees our first ever relegation to the fourth tier, in the season we named a stand after him.

We need to look back at the type of managers promotion winning clubs at this level have appointed. Most are on the younger side and look to play modern passing football, the way a lot of these players would have played in their academy sides.
    I doubt Euell would want it on a caretaker basis.

I really hope the people who are in charge of drawing up the shortlist of candidates have a slightly broader view of the market than simply current employees.
    Thomas already knows what he’s going to do. That might include giving Adkins a game or two to see if he can stop the rot or get rid now. One thing that is certain is that TS knows. If Adkins is to depart then certainly give it to Jason Euell while a proper recruitment process takes place. Jason can be part of that selection process if he does well. As much as I like JJ I think he’s been too close to too much failure. If Adkins leaves then sadly I think JJ should go too. Euell is slightly different. Very much the junior partner and until relatively recently not really involved with the first team. I’d give it to him with the carrot of permanent if he does well.
  • Options
    I get the clamour for Curbs but this is a guy who is 64 in a few weeks and hasn't managed for over 13 years. I love the guy, but personally for me after so long out of the game he isn't the answer. 
    And remember how bad his football was in the last 12 months .. awful negative football went to West Ham and got found out big time  
    He finished 10th in the premier league. 
    Come on Chris, we all know what happened, you don’t need to react to the troll.
  • Options
    What are the actual mechanics of a new manager turning a team around?. It’s the same talent he/she is working with 
  • Options
    Really don’t think shit like this is very helpful or necessary.
    Pardon me for trying to inject a little humour into the general wrist-slitting.  
  • Options
    Nope it's just becoming abusive now. Especially on Social Media...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What are the actual mechanics of a new manager turning a team around?. It’s the same talent he/she is working with 
    I think changing the dynamics in anyway is needed and the manager is the obvious first stop to do that.

I don't think the team has a lot of confidence in Adkins, so among other things, someone with a bit more clout and charisma could possibly inspire the players more than the current set up. I think getting a "bigger name" in could achieve that easier than someone who first has to convince everyone (players mainly), that their wt is the best way.

If nothing else you'll get the bounce everyone speak of and get a few points under the belt.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I really feel sorry for Adkins and wanted it to work but he has to go. It’s clearly not working. 
    What worries me is I don’t think he is going to go today. 
    If we loose on Saturday we could be 7 points adrift of relegation and we seriously can’t wait that long. 
    TS needs to make a he call now. We are In serious shit. 
    The players need a long hard look at themselves. Someone of them are taking this club for granted and need to take responsibility as well. Pisstakers
  • Options
    The short term solution is easy but will never happen. Remove Adkins and Roddy. Replace them with JJ and Euell and Curbs. Get in a decent and proven CEO ( Varney would be ideal ). Use the time to either back the new management duo or seek an alternative.
    For those that feel JJ is too tied to Adkins and what's happened, I'd point to his ongoing 100% record as manager when it's left to him. 
    More than that, other than when Adkins had Covid, we haven't heard a peep out of JJ. We see little of him on the touchline either. Why is that?
    Can we seriously believe that this intelligent and passionate man agrees with Nigel's approach in recent weeks? I'm not having it.
    I think he's the man for the job especially if backed with Euell and Curbs as I suggest.
    Sadly, not even the Adkins going part may happen yet!
    Oh dear, what a mess!
  • Options
    Phil said:
    The short term solution is easy but will never happen. Remove Adkins and Roddy. Replace them with JJ and Euell and Curbs. Get in a decent and proven CEO ( Varney would be ideal ). Use the time to either back the new management duo or seek an alternative.
    For those that feel JJ is too tied to Adkins and what's happened, I'd point to his ongoing 100% record as manager when it's left to him. 
    More than that, other than when Adkins had Covid, we haven't heard a peep out of JJ. We see little of him on the touchline either. Why is that?
    Can we seriously believe that this intelligent and passionate man agrees with Nigel's approach in recent weeks? I'm not having it.
    I think he's the man for the job especially if backed with Euell and Curbs as I suggest.
    Oh dear, what a mess!
    Who coaches the defence ? I don’t know for certain and perhaps I’m off beam but our defence is appalling at present. 
  • Options
    Depends on what the actual issues are. Is it a lack of respect from players to manager? Is it a lack of clarity and direction in what they are being asked to actually do? It could even be a lack of morale all round or some combination of all the above and other things besides.

This will in turn affect the potential solution. It might be that players benefit from a Bielsa/Bowyer style drill sergeant type of training to give them a kick up the arse. It might be they just need to go right back to basics a la Curbishley.

Whatever the answer is, its not whatever Adkins is doing.
  • Options
    *insert Michael Appleton image*

No seriously.  Done wonders at Lincoln.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Swisdom said:
    *insert Michael Appleton image*

No seriously.  Done wonders at Lincoln.

Hate to say it... Why would he want to come here.
  • Options
    I get the clamour for Curbs but this is a guy who is 64 in a few weeks and hasn't managed for over 13 years. I love the guy, but personally for me after so long out of the game he isn't the answer. 
    And remember how bad his football was in the last 12 months .. awful negative football went to West Ham and got found out big time  
    He finished 10th in the premier league. 
    Come on Chris, we all know what happened, you don’t need to react to the troll.
    Least we know who wanted him out when he was Charlton Manager ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Nope it's just becoming abusive now. Especially on Social Media...
    I don’t do Twatter - what’s being said and is it directed at TS ?
  • Options
    For the good of the club and probably Adkins mental  well being he should move on to another club.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Same here. People on other social media gone all hostile towards TS as well, with the "not a penny more" type mentality. 

Whoever does needs to go, I think it's worth keeping in mind that everything those at the Club are trying to do, is coming from a good place. There's nothing to suggest anyone is involved for the wrong reasons, unless you want to look at a couple of the players that is, who might be steeling a living at the moment
    It’s crazy, parts of our fan base seem to want to use the same tactics we used against Roland & ESI in response to this situation, they seem to have lost all perspective. 
  • Options
    this is the problem all names mentioned not one an improvement on NA … it’s no good giving it large about Adkins out if you can’t give a replacement who would do a better job .. there no one available in our range …. Do you really want Pulis Harris or Lennon ?? 

Mick McCarthy losing his job at Cardiff according to reports … ? But he on par with NA think NA record at this level is better 

so there the problem sack NA for who .. unless TS can bring someone in who better then leave it as it is 

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Gribbo said:
    Same here. People on other social media gone all hostile towards TS as well, with the "not a penny more" type mentality. 

Whoever does needs to go, I think it's worth keeping in mind that everything those at the Club are trying to do, is coming from a good place. There's nothing to suggest anyone is involved for the wrong reasons, unless you want to look at a couple of the players that is, who might be steeling a living at the moment
    It’s crazy, parts of our fan base seem to want to use the same tactics we used against Roland & ESI in response to this situation, they seem to have lost all perspective. 
    Feelings made vocal from the stands are enough.
    No need for a protest that sandgaard won’t even see 
  • Options

I don’t do Twatter - what’s being said and is it directed at TS ?
    Most of the responses to TS are polite but increasingly despairing. There are, as with all social media, a few keyboard warriors throwing their toys but it's still largely respectful.  TS' tweet last night of "We need to turn this around" seems more like one from a fan rather than someone in a position to do something about it all.  It does make you wonder who is pulling the strings behind the scenes day to day.
  • Options
    We need to get this trending adkinsout
  • Options
    Phil said:
    Oh dear, what a mess!
    Who coaches the defence ? I don’t know for certain and perhaps I’m off beam but our defence is appalling at present. 
    That's fair comment. We were told it's part of JJ's remit. However, I don't know for sure. However, given that the back four changes from game to game it must be nigh on impossible to do!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!