Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ongoing British Tennis…

Comments

• De Minaur is like Norrie and David Ferrer before him. Extremely limited players, who make the most of their skills, but with no weapons will always come up short against the very top players.

Draper is left handed, a rarity in the current game and his serve is a major weapon. I have read that he is actually right handed, hence why his backhand is almost as strong as the forehand.
  • Jack Draper makes his first slam Semi final against the World num 8. Now he faces either Sinner, the world num 1 and Australian open winner in 24 or Daniel Medvedev the world num 5 and USA open winner 21.
    The giant Russian has a better record at Flushing meadows than Sinner but again a 50/50 match.

Jack had to step up to beat De Minaur who he had a
    0-3 record against.
    Draper will have to play the match of his life to win over a possible 5 sets in the Semi final regardless who he plays.
  • De Minaur is like Norrie and David Ferrer before him. Extremely limited players, who make the most of their skills, but with no weapons will always come up short against the very top players.

Draper is left handed, a rarity in the current game and his serve is a major weapon. I have read that he is actually right handed, hence why his backhand is almost as strong as the forehand.
    yes, like Nadal; both right handed otherwise, including golf for Nadal - I read his golf swing is like a left-handed back hand
  • In the ATP live rankings, Jack Draper is up to world no. 20, a new career high.

If he’s able to get to the final, he’d jump no. 14 and winning the entire thing would boost him further to no. 12.
  • Two polar opposite sets between Sinner and Medvedev so far.

Sinner takes the first 6-2.

Medvedev takes the second 6-1.
  • 2-0 Sinner in the third now.
  • Third set to Sinner 6-1
  • Sinner wins 6-2 1-6 6-1 6-4. Will play Draper on Friday.
  • Sinner in 4. Probably the best player in the world right now.

Believe, Jack.
  • Draper 2 sets up.
    We all know what is likely to happen now ....
    Yep straight sets win matey.
    Thanks to me. If I hadn't added the second line he would have lost  ;)
    And I didn't jinx it by saying his movement seemed to have recovered!

How much do we think De Minaur's hip problem affected him?
    A lot, but respect to him for playing to the end. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Mingge Xu through to the Girls' semi final in New York 
  • Draper v Sinner scheduled for an 8pm U.K. time start.

Fritz v Tiafoe to follow that.
  • Draper v Sinner scheduled for an 8pm U.K. time start.

After a day spent drinking in hostelries around the Oval, waiting for the deluge to abate, I'm going to struggle to focus on the tennis tonight
  • Chizz said:
    Mingge Xu through to the Girls' semi final in New York 
    3 of the 8 Boys'/Girls' semi-finalists this year are Brits (Mika Stojsavljevic and  Charlie Robertson being the other two), which is pretty impressive.   Xu has already won one lower-level seniors tournament,  while only 16 y/o
  • About to get underway
  • Stojsavljevic into the final of the girls singles. Xu and Robertson both beaten in their semi finals.
  • edited September 6
    Sinner wins the first set 7-5 in 56 minutes
  • Well you can’t say Draper isn’t putting up a fight
  • edited September 6
    Can’t tell if this is messy or an epic.

On serve at 5-4 in the second set with over two hours played already. Draper has thrown up twice in the last 10-15 minutes. 

We have a trainer out for Draper’s illness / overheating and a trainer for Sinner who just landed on his left wrist awkwardly.
  • Compelling match. 

A mix of great tennis and bad misses 
  • Sponsored links:

• Yes, great match.
  • Chizz said:
    Draper v Sinner scheduled for an 8pm U.K. time start.

After a day spent drinking in hostelries around the Oval, waiting for the deluge to abate, I'm going to struggle to focus on the tennis tonight
    I hope it's only Draper throwing up tonight  :D
  • Think Draper is done here. 

Expect Sinner to run away with tie break and the third set 
  • edited September 6
    SINNER wins second set 7-6 (7-3)

Sorry
  • Come on Jack! Dig deep!
  • This match, after two sets, is already longer than any match JD has played in the tournament prior to today.
  • Draper wins second set 7-6 (7-3)
    What an effort - he’s got to have a great chance now. Following this from a dinner out and a wish I was watching at home to see this!
  • Draper wins second set 7-6 (7-3)
    Sadly not
  • edited September 6
    Draper wins second set 7-6 (7-3)
    What an effort - he’s got to have a great chance now. Following this from a dinner out and a wish I was watching at home to see this!
    Oh noooo I said the wrong guy. Sinner won the set 7-6