Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Portsmouth | Saturday 25th September 2021 | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic vs Portsmouth
Saturday 25th September 2021 ... 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Anthony Coggins

Introduction
Its been a disappointing start to a season which is a bit of an understatement, grey clouds cover a small corner of SE7 and already there are many who believe that any hopes of finishing in the top six are disppearing quicker than an English summer. Tuesday night saw some improvement against Gillingham, yet the second half resulted in a return to the normality of this season so far - We return to the Valley this weekend and play hosts to a Portsmouth side that have equally suttered of late.

The Opposition
Name: Portsmouth (12th) | Manager: Danny Cowley
Ground: Fratton Park
Last Meeting: Charlton Athletic 1-3 Portsmouth

What a difference a couple of months can make, after all it wasnt long ago when three teams went into the final day of the season all looking to finish in the last Play-Off spot... Ironically it was Portsmouth, the team in prime position that would end up as the lowest side of the three, and proof at how hard it can be to escape this Division with this now being their fifth consecutive season at this level.

Yet after the opening exchanges it looked again as though Portsmouth would be the team to beat this season, three wins out of three, and that was despite a summer exodus of players (nine players would depart to other clubs in League One or higher) - Unfortunately for their fans it seemed to put them in a false position, those wins after all came against the three lowest teams in League One at the time and they've not won since. Just two further points have been obtained, putting them level on points with Oxford United, evidence that all three Play-Off challenges have had slowish starts this term.

Despite that exodus though; Pompey will be a dangerous side and Danny Cowley will have them organised. With Craig MacGillivray facing his old team this Saturday afternoon it'll surely be the battle of the Goalkeepers; Gavin Bazunu (on loan from Manchester City) is already an Irish International and is experienced at this level having spent last year with Rochdale, our opponents may be out of form, but only Ben Amos has conceded fewer goals this term.

Goals however could be an issue with our opponents having scored the same amount as ourselves - Some fans (on both sides) have viewed this game like a bald man fighting over a comb so I dont think we're in for a classic.

Charlton Team News
When your Manager is making wholesale changes every game it doesnt exactly inspire confidence, a total of thirteen players have been chopped and changed these last two games meaning that we go into this Saturday without knowing who we could potentially see this time out.

Corey Blackett-Taylor was the outstanding player against Gillingham and surely deserves another start, Albie Morgan (a player who will always divide opinion) is another who improved last time out so should potentially keep his place in what is a pretty weak area of the team at present - At least we managed to see the return of Ben Purrington and Alex Gilbey, the latter will surely be eased back into the squad, whilst the former will now have to compete with Papa Souare for that Left-Back slot.

MacGillivray
Matthews - Lavelle - Pearce - Purrington
Arter - Morgan
Blackett-Taylor - Lee - Leko
Stockley

Substitutes Bench: Harness - Famewo - Souare - Dobson - Clare - Davison - Kirk

Prediction
It doesnt matter how pretty it is, it doesnt overly matter if we score a goal similar to the one that Gillingham achieved on Tuesday night, with the goal being credited to the referee's rear end - At the end of the day, this is clearly a team lacking in confidence and heads clearly drop the moment we go a goal down, the understandable impatience from the stands means that frustrations will equally grow should that happen once again this coming weekend.

Comments

• Options
    Good preview.  The challenge for Adkins is the chopping and changing he’s deployed over the last two games.  I can’t think of many successful sides that rotate their personnel (and that’s when you have an abundance of talent).  

For me, I think Lee and CBT definitely need to start.  Lee I think has a lot of quality about him and CBT will be pleased about his performance on Tuesday, I think it would be silly to drop him.  I think Adkins will play both (hopefully).  

As for the rest, who knows after the last 2 games?  

Mac

Matthews LaVelle Famewo Purrington 

Arter Dobson 

Leko Lee CBT

Stockley 

subs Harness Pearce Gunter Watson Kirk Davison DJ

I haven’t got a clue to be honest 
  • Options
    Bottom of the card, two punch-drunk old fighters finding their pride and digging deep for their fans and exchanging blows like there’s no tomorrow with the Addicks coming out 3-1 winners 
  • Options
    Washington out, 0-1
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Davison had a decent game on Tuesday, but I am not a fan of dropping Stockley or at least the reasons given for it. It is like saying I don't know how to change tactics or the players are not taking any notice of me. It sort of feels like a manager who hasn't got a good grip on the reigns. I hope I'm wrong and Saturday is a great game to win if we are going to get our season back on track. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021

Two teams enter the Valley of hope, dreams and memories.

One team will leave as the victor

(Possibly neither) 

I believe we will start in a 4-3-3 again.

Purrington on the bench as he's probably not ready to start the whole Sat/Tues run of every game. If Washington is out, I expect Leko to drop straight into the starting line up. Finally I wouldn't be surprised to see Arter in for Watson or Morgan. Davison has earned another start IMO, He can always be subbed off should he be struggling. 

MacGillivray

Matthews - Lavelle - Pearce - Souare

Lee - Watson - Morgan

Leko - Davison - B.Taylor

Subs:
    Harness, Famewo, Purrington, Arter, Clare Gilbey, Kirk, Stockley 
  • Options
    Stockley and 2 wingers does not work. Stockley is not mobile enough to make spaces for them and the wingers do not do enough to help out our weak midfield. So CBT for sure the only one this time.
    Washington's injury, after missing our best chances on Tuesday shows up how weak our strike force is . Not much choice except to play Leko up front with either Stockley or Davison.
    Lee will play as an advanced tucked in winger.
    Not brilliant but this is our best option.

MacGillvray

Matthews, Lavelle, Famewo, Purrington

CBT, Arter/Watson, Morgan, Lee

Leko, Davison/Stockley

Subs, Henderson, Pearce, Souare, Clare, Kirk/DJ, Arter/Watson, Davison/Stockley
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Stockley and 2 wingers does not work. Stockley is not mobile enough to make spaces for them and the wingers do not do enough to help out our weak midfield. So CBT for sure the only one this time.
    Washington's injury, after missing our best chances on Tuesday shows up how weak our strike force is . Not much choice except to play Leko up front with either Stockley or Davison.
    Lee will play as an advanced tucked in winger.
    Not brilliant but this is our best option.

MacGillvray

Matthews, Lavelle, Famewo, Purrington

CBT, Arter/Watson, Morgan, Lee

Leko, Davison/Stockley

Subs, Henderson, Pearce, Souare, Clare, Kirk/DJ, Arter/Watson, Davison/Stockley
    I agree. I can, until tomorrow, only go by what I saw on Valley Pass last season and by what I saw of Stockley playing for Preston. He simply is not my kind of centre forward. I'm not the only one who doesn't rate him :  https://the72.co.uk/251013/the-highest-rated-league-one-strikers-on-fifa-22/
    I would always have Washington as first on my team sheet. Rate of success in shooting practice in training would determine his partner.

• Options
    Cagey game tomorrow for sure. Both teams need a win but also cant really afford a loss so could be a great 0-0!!

I dont think id change much from the Gills game except the CM 2. Would swap it Arter and Clare for some energy. Not dropping Watson but purely he cant do Sat,Tues,sat etc. 

Morgan isnt playing well....bottom line...not digging him out but he isnt playing well and other people need a chance as we cant keep carrying him.

Think we might sneak a 1-0 win as these are the sorta games we win. 

1-0 Davison. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AndyG said:
    I normally make the long journey to the valley on my own but for the first time I'm bringing the misses and 3 kids. I'm just hoping we play well and dont get stuffed otherwise it will just reinforce their opinion that I'm mental when I spend the time and £ travelling down on my own. I'm hoping they get the charlton bug and join me in future lol
    Don't worry. My last five games have been  WDWDW. Put a bet on 1-1.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    cabbles said:
    Good preview.  The challenge for Adkins is the chopping and changing he’s deployed over the last two games.  I can’t think of many successful sides that rotate their personnel (and that’s when you have an abundance of talent).  

For me, I think Lee and CBT definitely need to start.  Lee I think has a lot of quality about him and CBT will be pleased about his performance on Tuesday, I think it would be silly to drop him.  I think Adkins will play both (hopefully).  

As for the rest, who knows after the last 2 games?  

Mac

Matthews LaVelle Famewo Purrington 

Arter Dobson 

Leko Lee CBT

Stockley 

subs Harness Pearce Gunter Watson Kirk Davison DJ

I haven’t got a clue to be honest 
    I like the look of the new French centre back we’ve signed!
    Lavelle is in fact the old French word for 'The Valley'.
  • Options
    Improvement continues but the elusive victory doesn't follow, 2-2.
  • Options
    I have a feeling that NA will rotate a few following Tuesday, he keeps saying that's why we have a big squad. I can see Gunter replacing Matthew's, soure for purrington, Arter for Watson, Dobson or Clare for Morgan.
    If fit CBT cannot be dropped after Tuesday, nor Lee imo. May e Kirk comes back in as well to hopefully show what he can do.

• Options
    Portsmouth have chopped and changed their formation, like we have, recently but they tend to play three in the middle of the pitch.  Leads me to think that what ever "2" we pick, in what ever formation, it won't be enough.

What ever team I see written down, or I try and come up with myself, it's the "2" that's the problem.  Hopefully Arter getting match fit and Gilbey coming back will address that, but that's 3 months into the season!

I would bring Arter in for Washington, assuming he isn't fit.  Quite how you write that down on paper 4321? 

If Washington is fit to start I would be tempted to play the diamond, but that would harshly leave out Davison or CBT.

Sort the 2 out and everything else will fit into place, probably not "blowing the league out the water" but not relegation form either.  Anything else is rearranging the deckchairs on the titanic. 
  • Options
    Potentially, this is a pivotal match. If we build on Tuesday's improvement and win, there will be a greater feeling of comfort that we are heading in the right direction. If it all goes pear-shaped, Tuesday will quickly be forgotten and the cracks will widen. As a minimum, I would like us to play well and draw, or win by any means. 
  • Options
    About where I am with regards to the XI, although I’d like to see Clare given another crack instead of Morgan.  And will Famewo come back in for Pearce I wonder?

Every match is massive now, it’s gotta turn soon, as per the mathematical thread, we need wins now.

Im done trying to predict us, if we draw it’s just another delay to our season wondering whether Adkins is the answer, win and Adkins can hold his head a little higher because we’ve got four points in 4 days, lose and his head will be called for.

Im going for more anxiety, 0-0.
  • Options
    I remember earlier in the season, NA mentioning that he likes his team to have height. The last game we were without our 6ft'ers....Stockley, Clare and Innis. 
  • Options
    Not too many changes we hope. Pick the quality players to dominate the first half and then bring on the 'finishers' after 60 minutes when we are leading...? so

Macgilvray

Matthews, Lavelle, Pearce, Purrington or Suare

Morgan, Arter, Gilbey

Lee

Blackett- Taylor, Davison

then Stockley for Davison, Leko for Blackett - Taylor and Clare for Gilbey or Morgan.

How about that Nigel - job done
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A tough game, we are on poor form. I am going to go for a 2-1 win, no reason or justification just it makes me feel better for at least today :) 
  • Options
    As Games are over 96 minutes on average and we can play well for 45 minutes max so far this season I have no idea of the score, formation or what team Nigel will start with or finish with.

Now what I would do is.... ( No one gives a flying fuck what you think Sam) 

Please win for Steve Gallen's sake as he looked quite stressed on CAST Zoom and suffering with Covid in the last week of the Window, Steve explained his remit which was to work his way down the list of targets which is normally 5 for each position.
  • Options
    I predict a 1-1 draw. We are rubbish when we go ahead and we probably will and let them back in it.
  • Options
    Can't see anything other than an away win on the possibilities list.
  • Options

Fat chance I know but would like to see us start with two strikers as Stockley gets all over the pitch anyway and Davison is very mobile. We'd cause them problems rather than sitting back and let them cause us problems:
    MacGillivray
    Matthews - Lavelle - Pearce - Purrington
    Arter
    Blackett-Taylor - Lee - Leko
    Stockley - Davison

Substitutes Bench: Harness - Famewo - Souare - Dobson - Clare - Morgan - Kirk

• Options
    Charlton need a win and a clean sheet like a 🐟 needs a 🚲 .

Um, not sure I’ve got that right. 
  • Options
    I've given up trying to second guess the line -up.
    I was alarmed at how easily Evan's half-time tweaks nullified our first half dominance on Tuesday.
    However, what we did in the first half gives us some scope for optimism.
    Above all we need to be far more clinical with our chances, but at least on Tuesday we created some.
    This is one of the games I looked forward to in pre-season, however I have a twice postponed commitment with a life long friend and so I am gonna miss this one.
    May be just as well, as I've been getting a bit apoplectic recently and it's not healthy.
    0-2