Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Portsmouth | Saturday 25th September 2021 | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    Midfield needs to be made up of the our toughest tackling, players at least until we put some form of run together, teams walk through us to easily.

Also our players do not seem as fit as most of the opposition we play, is this because Nigel changes his team substantially each game?

I believe Nigel has until the next International break to turn it around.
    Before the Wycombe game did he make many changes at all?

Clare got a knock and Kirk signed.  Dobson got dropped.  If he hadn't made substantial changes after the Cheltenham game he would have got stick for that. 
  • Options
    Heart says 2-0 win, head says 0-2 defeat. I’ll sit on the fence and say 2-2.

i really hope Stockley doesn’t play - we look a lot more likely when he isn’t in the team, and I think Davison deserves his chance.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Really need to win today. Going to be tough but always like these games when opposition bring a decent crowd. Without a local rival today and Sunderland are the big home games for me this season.

Back under Bowyer we got two massive wins against Pompey which kick our season after it went flat. 

2-0 win. Come on Charlton.
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f2-Hw8ukqc

Those were the days eh..even get a mention... B)
    Now we need 3 points, couldn't give a monkeys on the score, win is really only good enough..
  • Options
    Reason we went one defeat in 11 under NA last season was because we kept a settled side .. I have seen predicted line ups with multiple changes again not going to work … the only change today should be if Washington is unfit the rest keep the same as Tuesday …. 
    Can see today being another draw … both tests very similar and always a close game with Pompey 
  • Options
    Reason we went one defeat in 11 under NA last season was because we kept a settled side .. I have seen predicted line ups with multiple changes again not going to work … the only change today should be if Washington is unfit the rest keep the same as Tuesday …. 
    Can see today being another draw … both tests very similar and always a close game with Pompey 
    One in 10
  • Options
    I think a Pompey win by 2 or 3 goals is a nailed on certainty 
    However, I am very often wrong 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    If we can build on the first 45 mins against the Gills we might have a chance of picking something up. However, that was a weakened Gills side and they were the better team in the second half, so I'm not sure what to expect. I'm keeping my expectations low.
  • Options
    Hoping for an unchanged starting line up. Feel we might sneak this 1-0.

As Adkins is only 6 months into his 2.5 year deal, I can’t see Tommy sacking him no matter what. Come what may, I think Adkins is here for the season.
  • Options
    I hate to do this but...

He's right! Mostly settled side.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NA : our pre match was disrupted by the local traffic problems. We walked the last 5 miles to the ground and several pulled up with injuries. 

• Options
    Midfield needs to be made up of the our toughest tackling, players at least until we put some form of run together, teams walk through us to easily.

Also our players do not seem as fit as most of the opposition we play, is this because Nigel changes his team substantially each game?

Substantial?!

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I hate to do this but...

It’s been a repeated observation I’ve been making that our players tend to look like they’ve only been introduced to each other just before the game. I’m beginning to wonder whether NA’s success elsewhere was because of him, or in spite of him. Still plenty of time to have a great outcome for the season but it needs to start today.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I hate to do this but...

It’s been a repeated observation I’ve been making that our players tend to look like they’ve only been introduced to each other just before the game. I’m beginning to wonder whether NA’s success elsewhere was because of him, or in spite of him. Still plenty of time to have a great outcome for the season but it needs to start today.
    I have heard of some discontent between old and new players relating to salaries, so probably more that than anything directly to do with NA imo.
  • Options
    I had planned on taking a little break from the stream but couldn't help myself... 

Hoping we can start to settle the side and get a result. Portsmouth not in the best of form, but we're usually the side to help others get back on track!
  • Options
    Good preview again mate, really looking forward to this one.

Going by previous selections, not including any long term injured players, I think Adkins preferred starting eleven would be something like: 

MacGillivray
    Matthews Lavelle Famewo Souare
    Gilbey Arter
    Jaiyesimi Lee Kirk
    Stockley

GK, Pearce, Purrington, Watson, Blackett-Taylor, Leko, Washington

Obviously, that won’t happen, but it wouldn’t be a bad side.

I am expecting at least 4 changes to the team I’ve put up.

On a side note, I think if we don’t win today the pressure could get too much and might force the hand of Sandgaard. The last thing we are going to want is heading into Bolton on Tuesday night only winning 1 game so far this season. Think it’s a case now of failure to win either of the next 2 and he is out the door. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    I hate to do this but...

I have heard of some discontent between old and new players relating to salaries, so probably more that than anything directly to do with NA imo.
    I've heard that too........

On here.
  • Options
    No leaked teamsheet....?

You can have my first boooo of the day.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    I hate to do this but...

I've heard that too........

On here.
    I couldn't remember where I saw it, just knew I had.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Substantial?!

I'd forgotten how much Pearce played during the run in.

It's also notable how much Watson played as well, starting 5 out of the last 6 matches
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Do people really want stockley to start? I don't. I want to build on last game
  • Options
    Would wind Portsmouth up if we nicked him from them and then don’t play him 🤣
  • Options
    Tough one to call IMO. People seem to be judging him on the pony tactic he’s been asked to play of one man upfront on his own except for two or three defenders with nothing else to do but mark him which to everyone’s surprise except most Charlton fans DOESN’T FUCKiNG WORK
  • Options
    0-3 Pompey. 

That is all. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Do people really want stockley to start? 
    No thanks.
  • Options

When Adkins first came in at the back end of last season and put a run together of 1 unlucky defeat in 10 matches ...... he kept the nucleus of the team together match after match with relatively few changes.

If a team is to produce consistency, then the fewer changes the better.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

When Adkins first came in at the back end of last season and put a run together of 1 unlucky defeat in 10 matches ...... he kept the nucleus of the team together match after match with relatively few changes.

If a team is to produce consistency, then the fewer changes the better.

I agree.  Although last season he had Miller, Aneke and Maatsen. None have been adequately replaced. Souare and CBT/Kirk may step up but this team is not as good IMHO as the one that finished last season even if we have a lot more players. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Valley11 said:
    Amazed people want Morgan in the side still. 
    I’d go the same as Gillingham with Arter and Dobson for Watson and Morgan. 
    So you'd not be going the same as Gillingham at all.
    As I say; the same side except the central midfield pairing. 
  • Options
    Time to get off the Petrol Supply Thread and head to the pub. 0-2 Portsmouth. More booing, chanting for Adkins Out and you're not fit to wear the shirt blah blah blah. If that worked we should be world beaters by now
  • Options
    lonman said:
    Time to get off the Petrol Supply Thread and head to the pub. 0-2 Portsmouth. More booing, chanting for Adkins Out and you're not fit to wear the shirt blah blah blah. If that worked we should be world beaters by now
    Not expecting a 4 star performance I see.