Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Petrol Supply Problems

Comments

• Options
    clive said:
    Anyone struggling locally, the wife only waited 10 minutes for fuel at the Tesco garage opposite eltham graveyard.   
    For those unfamiliar with the area, it's in the dead centre of Eltham.
    🥁 
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    clb74 said:
    Hal1x said:
    There is no shortage of HGV drivers in the UK.

There is/was a severe lack of drivers willing to do an often horrible job for £10 per hour.

I would be if true, but the average petrol tanker wage is £33,500, so if you were on £10 an hour it would be time to switch.
    How many hours do they do a week for that money?
    isn't 56 still the normal max?
    If you’re correct that’s a pretty shitty £11.50 an hour
  • Options
    Short term solution would be to get the military involved with deliveries. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Shapps has said that’s a possibility but there may be technicalities with the army driving civilian vehicles whatever that means.
  • Options
    Shapps has said that’s a possibility but there may be technicalities with the army driving civilian vehicles whatever that means.
    Insurance??
  • Options
    clive said:
    Anyone struggling locally, the wife only waited 10 minutes for fuel at the Tesco garage opposite eltham graveyard.   
    For those unfamiliar with the area, it's in the dead centre of Eltham.
    Heard there's queues there as people are dying to get in...
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    clb74 said:
    Hal1x said:
    There is no shortage of HGV drivers in the UK.

There is/was a severe lack of drivers willing to do an often horrible job for £10 per hour.

I would be if true, but the average petrol tanker wage is £33,500, so if you were on £10 an hour it would be time to switch.
    How many hours do they do a week for that money?
    isn't 56 still the normal max?
    Said on the radio the other day average age of HGV driver is 57.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nothing to do with Brexit though…

• Options
    Every single time there is an issue with things in this country, the go-to is "get the military" in like they have super powers to do shit that no one else can do
  • Options
    the army barely have a thousand drivers with the qualifications to drive HGVs let along tankers
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Missus has just called. She’s on 57 miles before empty. Said the queue for the Shell station at Blendon was back to beyond the 3 Blackbirds which is probably about 500m away. Absolute madness
    Just drove past there and there weren't any queues at all. They're out of petrol though
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Longfield open but very long queue.

what a shit hole country we live in
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    se9addick said:
    Nothing to do with Brexit though…

Report in France from a couple of weeks back - https://www.lenouvelliste.ch/articles/economie/leurope-manque-de-camionneurs-1104722

Headline says - "Low wages, high training costs and retirements are reducing the number of truck drivers. The situation is particularly bad in Italy."

Report in France a couple of months back - https://trm24.fr/la-penurie-de-routiers-persiste-dans-le-monde/

Headline says - "The shortage of trucker contues worlwide"

I've seen special news reports on French TV over the last 18 months or so, saying that it's also bad in Holland and Germany.

• Options
    How many school leavers are encouraged to be truck drivers? They are all told to work on IT
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    So there are shortages of HGV drivers in France, Germany, Italy and Holland. The U.K. even having relaxed visa restrictions in order to satisfy our shortage will be competing with all these nations for those highly sought after Eastern European drivers. Where will I wonder be most attractive to them. The EU where they have exactly the same workers rights and protections as in their homes in Poland. The same health protections and benefits or go to the U.K. which has effectively just told them to do one. If it wasn’t so serious it would be hilarious. Personally I blame the foreign drivers for being foreign.
    lol If you want to spin it that way, feel free mate. I'm just pointing out that, even if this "petrol shortage" is down to a lack of drivers,the problem seems to be Worldwide, let alone Europewide. (although, apparently there isn't a petrol shortage at all,  it's just people emptying pumps because they're panic buying the selfish c****). 
  • Options
    How many school leavers are encouraged to be truck drivers? They are all told to work on IT
    Or insist university is the only way.
  • Options
    Germany has a shortage of about 10,000 drivers, not like the 100,000 one we have 
  • Options
    My friend's son has just qualified as a HGV driver - perfect timing. I'd be tempted myself if I had more free time.

Got my diesel this morning at Sainsbury's Charlton - no queues. Asda looked empty as well.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!