Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Petrol Supply Problems

1141516171820»

Comments

• Options
    Stig said:
    MrWalker said:
    MrWalker said:
    Conservative MP Tobias Ellwood welcomed the introduction of the temporary visa but said this would not help overnight. 
    As well as training more domestic drivers and speeding-up testing, Mr Ellwood said hundreds of Afghan refugees could be trained to fill vacancies. 

You couldn’t make it up.
    Yeah, that’s a f******g great idea, let’s get a bunch of f*****g Afghans, whose security credentials cannot possibly be checked with any real confidence, and put them in charge of dozens of highly explosive f******g petrol tankers.

What could possibly go wrong?

Tobias Ellwood, just another Tory moron.
    Wow - where to start with this one...

Actually, I'll leave it because it will simply take the thread down the wrong route with the same old suspects...
    As I said above, I have nothing against the Afghan refugees, they deserve a new life in the UK after what we and the Americans put them through over the last twenty years.

My problem is with the simplified bullshit that Tory MPs like Ellwood come out with like this hair-brained scheme to fix a problem caused primarily by his own party’s decision to quit the European Union.

The evacuation of Kabul was an absolute shit show, a lot of work is still being done on processing the claims of Afghans that have arrived in the UK to establish peoples bona fides.

This is incredibly complex work and often it’s impossible to verify the claims being made by an individual because this is Afghanistan we are talking about and not Singapore or Germany with incredibly efficient public administration.

I wonder why you continue to ignore the reams of evidence as to why there is a shortage of hgv drivers, or the fact it is Europe wide? 
    @MrWalker
    I’m assuming you are denying the impact of Brexit on this driver shortage ? 
    I'm denying it's the "Primary" reason. Surely you can't be arguing otherwise? 
    No it’s not the primary reason. That’s a retiring and ageing workforce. Same across all of Europe it seems. It is though the second biggest issue here in the U.K. according to the Road Haulage Association members. You surely can’t deny that if if Brexit wasn’t an issue then what is the purpose of trying to coax back Eastern European’s to drive our HGV’s when that is both embarrassing  for the government and undermines one of the pillars of Brexit ideology?
    One of the many pillars of Brexit was control of borders. We are now in control, inviting workers in targeted industries when the need (and mutual benefit) arises. It has arisen now (though at a pace accelerated beyond what could have reasonably been expected).

I'd suggest, therefore, that this is one of the principles of Brexit working in practice as it was intended. Brexit was never about stopping other nationalities from working in Britain, but managing immigration in an appropriate and economically viable matter, in both the short term and the extended long term.

I'll accept the LOLs from the remainers on here in good spirit. 
    What specifically can we do now that we couldn't do a year ago. Allow EU drivers into the country? Of course not. Assimilate refugees? I don't think so either; in fact it was fear of refugees that helped drive Brexit (remember Farage's disgusting poster). Your examples of taking back control are nothing but an illusion. Frankly, your post deserves all the good spirited lols it can muster. 
    apologies - happy to respond but genuinely don't understand the question...

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I'll paraphrase: You said that we are "now in control", this suggests that there's something specific that we are now able to do that we couldn't do before. I'd like to know what that something is.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!