Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Petrol Supply Problems

Comments

• Options
    Queue for 500m by the tesco petrol station by the goals and big yellow self storage in Eltham at 6.30am
  • Options
    Brexit thread is over there —————>
    Cant give it a rest can they.
    Sorry chips. How can you talk about a problem without talking about the problem ???????
    You know what i mean mate...same old grim reapers come out the wood at every opportunity with their brexit crap..
    The owners of HGV companies have gotta start being positive about it, even if it’s negative, then sing god save the Queen, that should sort it.
    Why won’t they just believe a bit more?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Petrol station near me has had a supply this morning. Long queue outside my house now. Glad I don't have to go out today. Cars overtaking on the wrong side of an island, there will be accidents before long. 
  • Options
    I play for baldon sports at the coop club opposite eltham town.  Been told it’s gridlocked already there this morning as the shell garage is opposite and no one can get in the ground!
  • Options
    I play for baldon sports at the coop club opposite eltham town.  Been told it’s gridlocked already there this morning as the shell garage is opposite and no one can get in the ground!
    Ahh great as I'm at stc today.
  • Options
    Who you play for?  Sorry for change of subject all!
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Queue for 500m by the tesco petrol station by the goals and big yellow self storage in Eltham at 6.30am
    Discarded version of The Proclaimers classic?
  • Options
    Petrol station near me has had a supply this morning. Long queue outside my house now. Glad I don't have to go out today. Cars overtaking on the wrong side of an island, there will be accidents before long. 
    Open the window and shout to them to queue outside the petrol station instead.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How regularly do petrol stations receive a delivery ? Given that most users will soon have a full tank the demand should drop off very quickly for at least a week ? Shouldn’t things start to return to normal by later this week ? 
    Thats my thoughts, by Wednesday/Thursday petrol garages will be empty (of people) and mostly have plenty of fuel. 
  • Options
    I'm retired now myself but help out with all the paperwork for Chimaira. 
  • Options
    Is is nearly 40 million cars in the uk and 9000 petrol stations?
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    clb74 said:
    Hal1x said:
    There is no shortage of HGV drivers in the UK.

There is/was a severe lack of drivers willing to do an often horrible job for £10 per hour.

I would be if true, but the average petrol tanker wage is £33,500, so if you were on £10 an hour it would be time to switch.
    How many hours do they do a week for that money?
    isn't 56 still the normal max?
    Said on the radio the other day average age of HGV driver is 57.
    In Vietnam it was 19
    This deserves more LOLs
    I don't do LOLs but I gave it a Like.
  • Options
    I did a loop on my bike from Eltham to Westerham and back yesterday, and that was one of the many petrol stations and surrounding roads which were just gridlocked. Madness. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    How regularly do petrol stations receive a delivery ? Given that most users will soon have a full tank the demand should drop off very quickly for at least a week ? Shouldn’t things start to return to normal by later this week ? 
    Thats my thoughts, by Wednesday/Thursday petrol garages will be empty (of people) and mostly have plenty of fuel. 
    The same bell ends lining up now will be 'topping up' again come wednesday. Mark my words.
  • Options
    We beat yous 11-4 in the cup last season 😂 
    Some woeful defending all round clearly! 
  • Options
    We beat yous 11-4 in the cup last season 😂 
    Some woeful defending all round clearly! 
    Think that was the reserve team lol although the 1s not much better 
  • Options
    I knew today would be mayhem with the vans etc filling up for work this week and to be honest, who can blame them. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Conservative MP Tobias Ellwood welcomed the introduction of the temporary visa but said this would not help overnight. 
    As well as training more domestic drivers and speeding-up testing, Mr Ellwood said hundreds of Afghan refugees could be trained to fill vacancies. 

You couldn’t make it up.
    Yeah, that’s a f******g great idea, let’s get a bunch of f*****g Afghans, whose security credentials cannot possibly be checked with any real confidence, and put them in charge of dozens of highly explosive f******g petrol tankers.

What could possibly go wrong?

Tobias Ellwood, just another Tory moron.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are there no HGV drivers in the armed forces that the government could use on a short term basis ?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Conservative MP Tobias Ellwood welcomed the introduction of the temporary visa but said this would not help overnight. 
    As well as training more domestic drivers and speeding-up testing, Mr Ellwood said hundreds of Afghan refugees could be trained to fill vacancies. 

You couldn’t make it up.
    Yeah, that’s a f******g great idea, let’s get a bunch of f*****g Afghans, whose security credentials cannot possibly be checked with any real confidence, and put them in charge of dozens of highly explosive f******g petrol tankers.

While probably not for this thread but why is that such a crazy idea? One minute these Afghans are interpreters and hero’s and friends of the west and the next minute their security credentials cannot be checked without any real confidence. There’s 1000s of them here, what they supposed to do for the rest of their lives? Sit in best western hotel rooms watching TV?! We keep being told there’s a labor shortage so let’s get some of these fellows trained up doing something. Maybe driving petrol tankers is a bit too specific but what about fruit picking? Isn’t there a dearth of fruit pickers? I can’t imagine there’d be too much of a security risk doing something like that.
    Fruit pickers? How much Eton mess does this country need?
  • Options

You couldn’t make it up.

While probably not for this thread but why is that such a crazy idea? One minute these Afghans are interpreters and hero’s and friends of the west and the next minute their security credentials cannot be checked without any real confidence. There’s 1000s of them here, what they supposed to do for the rest of their lives? Sit in best western hotel rooms watching TV?! We keep being told there’s a labor shortage so let’s get some of these fellows trained up doing something. Maybe driving petrol tankers is a bit too specific but what about fruit picking? Isn’t there a dearth of fruit pickers? I can’t imagine there’d be too much of a security risk doing something like that.
    I take your point but just because we have welcomed former helpers and translators into the U.K. because if we hadn’t they would very likely have been executed, we cannot just expect or require them to fill up the jobs that other Brits stick two fingers up to. They are rightly  here now and should be afforded exactly the same help and opportunities that we all do. Certainly if they fancy picking a few turnips in Lincolnshire then good on them but no way should they be pressurised into any line of work.
  • Options

You couldn’t make it up.

I have nothing against the Afghan refugees and I wish them nothing but the best, their country got fucked over - again - by the US and UK - and there is indeed a moral imperative to look after them.

However, the evacuation of Kabul was an absolute shambles and visa processing was being rushed through at an unprecedented pace, there is no way to be absolutely sure of their credentials and you sure as shit won’t be able to find out now the Taliban are in charge.

That being the case then driving petrol tankers - that could quite literally be used as a weapon of huge destruction that could cause absolute devastation - is perhaps not quite the best job to be putting these folks into at this stage of the game.
  • Options

You couldn’t make it up.

I take your point but just because we have welcomed former helpers and translators into the U.K. because if we hadn’t they would very likely have been executed, we cannot just expect or require them to fill up the jobs that other Brits stick two fingers up to. They are rightly  here now and should be afforded exactly the same help and opportunities that we all do. Certainly if they fancy picking a few turnips in Lincolnshire then good on them but no way should they be pressurised into any line of work.
    I’m not disputing these peoples right to be here but as we have a labor shortage, these people should be afforded the opportunity and encouraged to fill it. If we want to integrate these people into society then they have to start somewhere. It’s a win win.
  • Options

You couldn’t make it up.

I have nothing against the Afghan refugees and I wish them nothing but the best, their country got fucked over - again - by the US and UK - and there is indeed a moral imperative to look after them.

However, the evacuation of Kabul was an absolute shambles and visa processing was being rushed through at an unprecedented pace, there is no way to be absolutely sure of their credentials and you sure as shit won’t be able to find out now the Taliban are in charge.

That being the case then driving petrol tankers - that could quite literally be used as a weapon of huge destruction that could cause absolute devastation - is perhaps not quite the best job to be putting these folks into at this stage of the game.
    Tobias Elwood actually said that there are trained Afghan HGV drivers who drove bigger vehicles for us out there. I see no reason why they shouldn’t be retrained to drive similar vehicles here. Maybe not petrol tankers but certainly other classes of HGV. 
  • Options

You couldn’t make it up.

Wow - where to start with this one...

Actually, I'll leave it because it will simply take the thread down the wrong route with the same old suspects...
    As I said above, I have nothing against the Afghan refugees, they deserve a new life in the UK after what we and the Americans put them through over the last twenty years.

My problem is with the simplified bullshit that Tory MPs like Ellwood come out with like this hair-brained scheme to fix a problem caused primarily by his own party’s decision to quit the European Union.

The evacuation of Kabul was an absolute shit show, a lot of work is still being done on processing the claims of Afghans that have arrived in the UK to establish peoples bona fides.

This is incredibly complex work and often it’s impossible to verify the claims being made by an individual because this is Afghanistan we are talking about and not Singapore or Germany with incredibly efficient public administration.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!