Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Petrol Supply Problems

Comments

• Options
    Huskaris said:
    DOUCHER said:
    been a bit laid up for last 10 days with a cold - wife reports there is 10 miles worth of petrol in the car - any tips ? i'm in sidcup - where's the nearest open station - tesco's? one by elthan town??? can't afford to drive round looking and will i make it sitting in a queue baring in mind my lack of petrol?? 
    When do you next need to use it, as I would think by midweek next week this should all have calmed down once the sheep have a full tank. 
    i need to take my son football now then go to the valley on tuesday ideally but i'm weighing up public transport instead
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    seth plum said:
    I am assuming the Afghani’s obliged to relocate to the UK are destined to be surgeons, bankers, BBC presenters, captains of industry, politicians, Chief Constables, Headteachers, Engineers, Architects, Professors and University Chancellors. I don’t understand the assumption by some that they would necessarily be suited to being HGV drivers.
    And yet there are others who think they should be actively prevented from being HGV drivers. 
    There are others also who think they should actively be prevented from being here. 
    On this forum?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Conservative MP Tobias Ellwood welcomed the introduction of the temporary visa but said this would not help overnight. 
    As well as training more domestic drivers and speeding-up testing, Mr Ellwood said hundreds of Afghan refugees could be trained to fill vacancies. 

You couldn’t make it up.
    Yeah, that’s a f******g great idea, let’s get a bunch of f*****g Afghans, whose security credentials cannot possibly be checked with any real confidence, and put them in charge of dozens of highly explosive f******g petrol tankers.

What could possibly go wrong?

Tobias Ellwood, just another Tory moron.
    While probably not for this thread but why is that such a crazy idea? One minute these Afghans are interpreters and hero’s and friends of the west and the next minute their security credentials cannot be checked without any real confidence. There’s 1000s of them here, what they supposed to do for the rest of their lives? Sit in best western hotel rooms watching TV?! We keep being told there’s a labor shortage so let’s get some of these fellows trained up doing something. Maybe driving petrol tankers is a bit too specific but what about fruit picking? Isn’t there a dearth of fruit pickers? I can’t imagine there’d be too much of a security risk doing something like that.
    I take your point but just because we have welcomed former helpers and translators into the U.K. because if we hadn’t they would very likely have been executed, we cannot just expect or require them to fill up the jobs that other Brits stick two fingers up to. They are rightly  here now and should be afforded exactly the same help and opportunities that we all do. Certainly if they fancy picking a few turnips in Lincolnshire then good on them but no way should they be pressurised into any line of work.
    I’m not disputing these peoples right to be here but as we have a labor shortage, these people should be afforded the opportunity and encouraged to fill it. If we want to integrate these people into society then they have to start somewhere. It’s a win win.
    They should be offered and encouraged at exactly the same level as you or I or any other Brit. 
    As you said, there are jobs offered to Brits that they have stick their fingers up to so let’s offer those same jobs to Afghan refugees. 
    Do you really mean this?
    Afghani refugees have to hang around and get the job leftovers that people born here refuse after having first dibs?
    So an Afghani refugee who might be a Brain Surgeon has to hang around for a drivers job, whilst a UK person hums and ha’s as to whether they would take it?
    Why is there a ‘first then second’ scenario for refugees who helped the UK in it’s hour of need?
    Surely you would wish to give Afghani refugees the exact same equal rights and opportunities as people born here?
    I believe exactly what Ive written. Taking your brain surgeon analogy. I would expect them to be retained to meet the requirements that we have in this country for brain surgeons. I would expect that it’s widely different in Afghanistan. There is a labor shortage doing minimum wage jobs so these should also be offered to Afghan refugees as well as people born here. 
    OK you’re not saying there is an order of precedent with local born people ‘offered’ jobs first and then Afghani refugees ‘offered’ those jobs second.
    There is a system where jobs ‘offered’ follow an application for said jobs.
    People ought to have the chance to be sentient in their decision to apply whatever their background, and hopefully not forced or pressured into doing jobs that don’t suit.
    I am delighted that you don’t see refugees as some kind of workforce waiting to be somehow deployed according to what is convenient to the ruling class.
    Take professional people for example. A qualified solicitor or doctor in Afghanistan, whilst no doubt very competent, will not be up to code to practice here. That is a fact. Whilst professional people will have transferable skills, they will need to be retrained in order to be able to apply for these jobs. Same applies for HGV drivers & believe me, I am fully supportive of this as long as they as they have passed the necessary security clearance.

Question for you, do you think the Afghan  refugees should be afforded the opportunity to fill the gap in the labor market for the minimum wage jobs. A simple yes or no will suffice.
  • Options
    doesn't help the fact i've still got the lurgy so hard to ask for a lift off anybody 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Conservative MP Tobias Ellwood welcomed the introduction of the temporary visa but said this would not help overnight. 
    As well as training more domestic drivers and speeding-up testing, Mr Ellwood said hundreds of Afghan refugees could be trained to fill vacancies. 

You couldn’t make it up.
    Yeah, that’s a f******g great idea, let’s get a bunch of f*****g Afghans, whose security credentials cannot possibly be checked with any real confidence, and put them in charge of dozens of highly explosive f******g petrol tankers.

While probably not for this thread but why is that such a crazy idea? One minute these Afghans are interpreters and hero’s and friends of the west and the next minute their security credentials cannot be checked without any real confidence. There’s 1000s of them here, what they supposed to do for the rest of their lives? Sit in best western hotel rooms watching TV?! We keep being told there’s a labor shortage so let’s get some of these fellows trained up doing something. Maybe driving petrol tankers is a bit too specific but what about fruit picking? Isn’t there a dearth of fruit pickers? I can’t imagine there’d be too much of a security risk doing something like that.
    I take your point but just because we have welcomed former helpers and translators into the U.K. because if we hadn’t they would very likely have been executed, we cannot just expect or require them to fill up the jobs that other Brits stick two fingers up to. They are rightly  here now and should be afforded exactly the same help and opportunities that we all do. Certainly if they fancy picking a few turnips in Lincolnshire then good on them but no way should they be pressurised into any line of work.
    I’m not disputing these peoples right to be here but as we have a labor shortage, these people should be afforded the opportunity and encouraged to fill it. If we want to integrate these people into society then they have to start somewhere. It’s a win win.
    They should be offered and encouraged at exactly the same level as you or I or any other Brit. 
    As you said, there are jobs offered to Brits that they have stick their fingers up to so let’s offer those same jobs to Afghan refugees. 
    Do you really mean this?
    Afghani refugees have to hang around and get the job leftovers that people born here refuse after having first dibs?
    So an Afghani refugee who might be a Brain Surgeon has to hang around for a drivers job, whilst a UK person hums and ha’s as to whether they would take it?
    Why is there a ‘first then second’ scenario for refugees who helped the UK in it’s hour of need?
    Surely you would wish to give Afghani refugees the exact same equal rights and opportunities as people born here?
    I believe exactly what Ive written. Taking your brain surgeon analogy. I would expect them to be retained to meet the requirements that we have in this country for brain surgeons. I would expect that it’s widely different in Afghanistan. There is a labor shortage doing minimum wage jobs so these should also be offered to Afghan refugees as well as people born here. 
    This is absolutely right. One of the main areas of brain surgery that will have to be retrained for surgeons wanting to work in the NHS is microsurgery. There are several people who exhibit symptoms that could be considered to demonstrate that microsurgery would be an essential requirement should they ever require brain surgery. For example, the sort of person who worries more about where an HGV driver comes from, rather than their ability and availability to do the job. 

• Options
    Have a fleet of four Hgv's. All are loaded for the morning with enough diesel in them each to get to where they are going and then back to base. If they can't find anywhere enroute to fill up then they will be all parked up by 10.00 am.
    Normally all fill up first thing on a Monday morning as can't leave full tanks laying in the yard all weekend for obvious reasons. 
    So come mid morning tomorrow four invaluable Hgv's will be out of commission until the great unwashed British public get their heads out of their arses.
    Thanks to all concerned who couldn't find that said arse with both hands. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    MrWalker said:
    MrWalker said:

You couldn’t make it up.

Wow - where to start with this one...

Actually, I'll leave it because it will simply take the thread down the wrong route with the same old suspects...
    As I said above, I have nothing against the Afghan refugees, they deserve a new life in the UK after what we and the Americans put them through over the last twenty years.

My problem is with the simplified bullshit that Tory MPs like Ellwood come out with like this hair-brained scheme to fix a problem caused primarily by his own party’s decision to quit the European Union.

The evacuation of Kabul was an absolute shit show, a lot of work is still being done on processing the claims of Afghans that have arrived in the UK to establish peoples bona fides.

This is incredibly complex work and often it’s impossible to verify the claims being made by an individual because this is Afghanistan we are talking about and not Singapore or Germany with incredibly efficient public administration.

I wonder why you continue to ignore the reams of evidence as to why there is a shortage of hgv drivers, or the fact it is Europe wide? 
    @MrWalker
    I’m assuming you are denying the impact of Brexit on this driver shortage ? 
    I'm denying it's the "Primary" reason. Surely you can't be arguing otherwise? 
    No it’s not the primary reason. That’s a retiring and ageing workforce. Same across all of Europe it seems. It is though the second biggest issue here in the U.K. according to the Road Haulage Association members. You surely can’t deny that if if Brexit wasn’t an issue then what is the purpose of trying to coax back Eastern European’s to drive our HGV’s when that is both embarrassing  for the government and undermines one of the pillars of Brexit ideology?
    One of the many pillars of Brexit was control of borders. We are now in control, inviting workers in targeted industries when the need (and mutual benefit) arises. It has arisen now (though at a pace accelerated beyond what could have reasonably been expected).

I'd suggest, therefore, that this is one of the principles of Brexit working in practice as it was intended. Brexit was never about stopping other nationalities from working in Britain, but managing immigration in an appropriate and economically viable matter, in both the short term and the extended long term.

I'll accept the LOLs from the remainers on here in good spirit. 
    What specifically can we do now that we couldn't do a year ago. Allow EU drivers into the country? Of course not. Assimilate refugees? I don't think so either; in fact it was fear of refugees that helped drive Brexit (remember Farage's disgusting poster). Your examples of taking back control are nothing but an illusion. Frankly, your post deserves all the good spirited lols it can muster. 
  • Options
    Ross said:
    So, anyone managed to get any fuel?
    I managed to get some from my local Tesco filling station, had to sit in a queue of traffic for just under an hour though. Now bracing myself to go and pick Mrs Ottos from her mums in north London. Can’t wait to sit another traffic Jam. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

You couldn’t make it up.

Do you really mean this?
    OK you’re not saying there is an order of precedent with local born people ‘offered’ jobs first and then Afghani refugees ‘offered’ those jobs second.
    There is a system where jobs ‘offered’ follow an application for said jobs.
    People ought to have the chance to be sentient in their decision to apply whatever their background, and hopefully not forced or pressured into doing jobs that don’t suit.
    I am delighted that you don’t see refugees as some kind of workforce waiting to be somehow deployed according to what is convenient to the ruling class.
    Take professional people for example. A qualified solicitor or doctor in Afghanistan, whilst no doubt very competent, will not be up to code to practice here. That is a fact. Whilst professional people will have transferable skills, they will need to be retrained in order to be able to apply for these jobs. Same applies for HGV drivers & believe me, I am fully supportive of this as long as they as they have passed the necessary security clearance.

Question for you, do you think the Afghan  refugees should be afforded the opportunity to fill the gap in the labor market for the minimum wage jobs. A simple yes or no will suffice.
    Afghan refugees should be afforded the opportunity to behave in the same way as UK born people.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Huskaris said:
    DOUCHER said:
    been a bit laid up for last 10 days with a cold - wife reports there is 10 miles worth of petrol in the car - any tips ? i'm in sidcup - where's the nearest open station - tesco's? one by elthan town??? can't afford to drive round looking and will i make it sitting in a queue baring in mind my lack of petrol?? 
    When do you next need to use it, as I would think by midweek next week this should all have calmed down once the sheep have a full tank. 
    i need to take my son football now then go to the valley on tuesday ideally but i'm weighing up public transport instead
    Sounds like there's only one thing for it. 

Send the wife out with a jerry can.

Hope this helps, good luck. 
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    MrWalker said:

You couldn’t make it up.

Actually, I'll leave it because it will simply take the thread down the wrong route with the same old suspects...
    As I said above, I have nothing against the Afghan refugees, they deserve a new life in the UK after what we and the Americans put them through over the last twenty years.

My problem is with the simplified bullshit that Tory MPs like Ellwood come out with like this hair-brained scheme to fix a problem caused primarily by his own party’s decision to quit the European Union.

The evacuation of Kabul was an absolute shit show, a lot of work is still being done on processing the claims of Afghans that have arrived in the UK to establish peoples bona fides.

This is incredibly complex work and often it’s impossible to verify the claims being made by an individual because this is Afghanistan we are talking about and not Singapore or Germany with incredibly efficient public administration.

I wonder why you continue to ignore the reams of evidence as to why there is a shortage of hgv drivers, or the fact it is Europe wide? 
    @MrWalker
    No it’s not the primary reason. That’s a retiring and ageing workforce. Same across all of Europe it seems. It is though the second biggest issue here in the U.K. according to the Road Haulage Association members. You surely can’t deny that if if Brexit wasn’t an issue then what is the purpose of trying to coax back Eastern European’s to drive our HGV’s when that is both embarrassing  for the government and undermines one of the pillars of Brexit ideology?
    One of the many pillars of Brexit was control of borders. We are now in control, inviting workers in targeted industries when the need (and mutual benefit) arises. It has arisen now (though at a pace accelerated beyond what could have reasonably been expected by Covid).

I'd suggest, therefore, that this is one of the principles of Brexit working in practice as it was intended. Brexit was never about stopping other nationalities from working in Britain, but managing immigration in an appropriate and economically viable manner, in both the short term and the extended long term.

There are no controls on the land border with the EU.

• Options
    Covid19 certainly caused issues last Christmas as a result of a testing regime implemented on truck drivers of all nationalities by the French Government. The EU transport commissioner Adina Valean, was particularly critical of the French government's decision that created the backlog in the UK.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    MrWalker said:
    MrWalker said:

You couldn’t make it up.

@MrWalker
    One of the many pillars of Brexit was control of borders. We are now in control, inviting workers in targeted industries when the need (and mutual benefit) arises. It has arisen now (though at a pace accelerated beyond what could have reasonably been expected by Covid).

I'd suggest, therefore, that this is one of the principles of Brexit working in practice as it was intended. Brexit was never about stopping other nationalities from working in Britain, but managing immigration in an appropriate and economically viable manner, in both the short term and the extended long term.

Do you really want to go down that route again?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I think giving refugees the opportunity to be retrained (or skills transferred through conversion courses etc) is actually a pretty good, and nice thing to do for members of our society. It shows that they will be given opportunities. 

Let's not act like theres going to be Afghans dragged out of houses and forced to drive an HGV rather than becoming a brain surgeon. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    MrWalker said:
    MrWalker said:

You couldn’t make it up.

@MrWalker

You said we are now in control which is not true.
    I was putting the record straight.
  • Options
    People will always put themselves first. Saying "there's no fuel shortage" when there's hundreds of people queuing for petrol, and closed petrol stations, doesn't help the situation, even though it is true.

People see other people panicking and panic too in a massive domino effect, when it's your money, livelihood, or ability to get your kids to school at stake, I have to say I do understand it. 

A parralel is with people that have the "but I'm just one person, what can I do?" view on climate change, or people that think COVID rules didn't apply to them, the run on Northern Rock... People don't see the bigger picture, or the "societal" view but instead just have tunnel vision for their own lives. 

We live in a very individualist culture, which has many many strengths, but things like this are one of the downfalls. 
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    MrWalker said:

You couldn’t make it up.

@MrWalker

I think you'll find experts in the field told the ProjectLeave that this may happen. It was then labelled 'Project Fear' and anyone who pointed out the flaws in the great Project Leave Brexit Plan was effectively either a Troll, an EU Sycophant or a traitor. I think Michael Gove said "people are sick of listening to experts"

This collection of morons that currently run the country were warned throughout the year that there was an urgent need for Farm Workers, Factory Workers and Drivers and did nothing. Farmers fruit rotted in fields, fish rotted quayside and it's only when the masses are affected (maybe they won't vote us in again) do the government take any action.

Now alas it's too little to late and the great ship Brexit that you're clearly a deluded sailor on is heading for the rocks and instead of realising the flaws in the plan that were clear for almost anybody to see you are still shouting the ;benefits'

Well the £350million a week to the NHS hasn't happened, we've had a tax increase dressed up as social care, fisherman can't export fish,  farmers can't harvest crops, food exports to the EU dropped off a cliff £2billion first 6 months, EuroBond Settlements buggered off to New york, multibilliondollar corporations are paid bribes with Tax Payers money to stay and fight the good fight and you think this is good news.

Just as a footnote UKPLC has now spent more money propping up, solving problems caused by Brexit than the sum total of our contributions since we became a member and we're only 10 months in.

Things are going to get worse. I'm sitting back with my popcorn now. Watching. 

• Options
    Stig said:
    MrWalker said:
    MrWalker said:

You couldn’t make it up.

@MrWalker
    One of the many pillars of Brexit was control of borders. We are now in control, inviting workers in targeted industries when the need (and mutual benefit) arises. It has arisen now (though at a pace accelerated beyond what could have reasonably been expected).

I'd suggest, therefore, that this is one of the principles of Brexit working in practice as it was intended. Brexit was never about stopping other nationalities from working in Britain, but managing immigration in an appropriate and economically viable matter, in both the short term and the extended long term.

What specifically can we do now that we couldn't do a year ago. Allow EU drivers into the country? Of course not. Assimilate refugees? I don't think so either; in fact it was fear of refugees that helped drive Brexit (remember Farage's disgusting poster). Your examples of taking back control are nothing but an illusion. Frankly, your post deserves all the good spirited lols it can muster. 
    apologies - happy to respond but genuinely don't understand the question...

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    MrWalker said:
    MrWalker said:

You couldn’t make it up.

@MrWalker

The UK has sovereign control of it borders. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    seth plum said:
    I am assuming the Afghani’s obliged to relocate to the UK are destined to be surgeons, bankers, BBC presenters, captains of industry, politicians, Chief Constables, Headteachers, Engineers, Architects, Professors and University Chancellors. I don’t understand the assumption by some that they would necessarily be suited to being HGV drivers.
    And yet there are others who think they should be actively prevented from being HGV drivers. 
    There are others also who think they should actively be prevented from being here. 
    On this forum?
    Probably 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    MrWalker said:
    MrWalker said:

You couldn’t make it up.

@MrWalker

What's 'Sovereign' Control versus  'Control' ? Don't get it mate.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    MrWalker said:
    MrWalker said:

You couldn’t make it up.

@MrWalker

It does not have control in practical terms.
    The UK has always had sovereignty of its borders. If sovereignty means a line in a map and naming things.
    However on the ground where those map lines are drawn, the UK does not exercise control of it’s border.
  • Options
    lonman said:
    MrWalker said:
    MrWalker said:

You couldn’t make it up.

@MrWalker

I think you'll find experts in the field told the ProjectLeave that this may happen. It was then labelled 'Project Fear' and anyone who pointed out the flaws in the great Project Leave Brexit Plan was effectively either a Troll, an EU Sycophant or a traitor. I think Michael Gove said "people are sick of listening to experts"

This collection of morons that currently run the country were warned throughout the year that there was an urgent need for Farm Workers, Factory Workers and Drivers and did nothing. Farmers fruit rotted in fields, fish rotted quayside and it's only when the masses are affected (maybe they won't vote us in again) do the government take any action.

Now alas it's too little to late and the great ship Brexit that you're clearly a deluded sailor on is heading for the rocks and instead of realising the flaws in the plan that were clear for almost anybody to see you are still shouting the ;benefits'

Well the £350million a week to the NHS hasn't happened, we've had a tax increase dressed up as social care, fisherman can't export fish,  farmers can't harvest crops, food exports to the EU dropped off a cliff £2billion first 6 months, EuroBond Settlements buggered off to New york, multibilliondollar corporations are paid bribes with Tax Payers money to stay and fight the good fight and you think this is good news.

Just as a footnote UKPLC has now spent more money propping up, solving problems caused by Brexit than the sum total of our contributions since we became a member and we're only 10 months in.

Things are going to get worse. I'm sitting back with my popcorn now. Watching. 

I am a life long Tory voter and voted for Brexit, but I admit that doing both those things has resulted in the complete mess that this country finds itself in. We have a serial liar in charge and a Government that is reactive, rathe than proactive. The only good thing to come out of this is that the lowest paid workers are now being viewed as essential and having to be paid a fair day's wage for the work that they do. HGV drivers, tanker drivers, care workers and hospitality workers are now treated as they should have been all along. 

I will not vote Conservative again and would vote to re-join the EU if asked.
    I was a life long Tory voter until Boris Johnson became the leader. With the greatest respect a life long tory voter should of realised this guy is an utter ball bag. I didn't actually vote in the last election. However, I'm suspecting Jeremy Corbyn could of been a better option that the shower of shit we find leading us currently. Brexit was always a bad idea as we are now finding out at our cost.
  • Options
    Do "foreign" HGV lorry drivers actually live in Britain? Or do they just come in to the country, work for a while  - sleeping in their cabs or whatever - and then go home?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I nearly choked on my cornflakes this morning when I saw Grant Shapps a.k.a. Michael Green, Corinne Stockheath and Sebastian Fox, saying he and the Government was keen for HGV drivers to be paid a fair wage. That would be a first in history :). He then went on to blame the HGV unions for the scaremongering rather than the press/media! I can see the funny side.
  • Options
    I nearly choked on my cornflakes this morning when I saw Grant Shapps a.k.a. Michael Green, Corinne Stockheath and Sebastian Fox, saying he and the Government was keen for HGV drivers to be paid a fair wage. That would be a first in history :). He then went on to blame the HGV unions for the scaremongering rather than the press/media! I can see the funny side.
    This tool also awarded a ferry contract to a company that had no boats and still he remains in office.
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    MrWalker said:

You couldn’t make it up.

@MrWalker

Ideological gymnastics here. The control was to exclude anyone with earning power under 30k a year if memory serves. Anyone effectively under that threshold were persona non grata. My personal opinion is that this was to, let’s say encourage Brits into those low paid jobs. The Brexit mongers didn’t expect in my humble opinion that within a couple of years that there would be one million advertised job vacancies in the U.K. How we expect those excluded previously to conclude that three months work here is an attractive proposition remains to be seen when they can just as easily remain in their existing jobs or move to Germany or The Nederlands, Italy or France where they remain with full citizenship rights. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!