Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Petrol Supply Problems

Comments

• Options
    Anyone want to have a dig at the Turkey farmer who says his business is stuffed (see what I did there ?) because he can’t get pluckers, packers, slaughter men and get his produce transported and blames 100% Brexit. What would he know about Turkey farming I wonder. Not much I suppose because he’s never been a Turkey perhaps ? 
    There's something wrong though where farmers (in this case) rely on foreign workers to do these jobs, and why we can't get British people to do them, whether it's wages or the educational/vocational training system where instead of training our own youngsters to do essential jobs, we've relied on getting already trained people in from abroad

I've always thought it was morally dubious to import already trained nurses and doctors from poorer countries also

I know a man with a Turkey farm that’s crying out for workers. Off you go.
  • Options
    Just driven back from Wiltshire and amazing scenes at most petrol stations. Long queues at pretty much every one, often back onto the road so causing delays. Most of the south east motorway services showing as having no fuel. 
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    Anyone want to have a dig at the Turkey farmer who says his business is stuffed (see what I did there ?) because he can’t get pluckers, packers, slaughter men and get his produce transported and blames 100% Brexit. What would he know about Turkey farming I wonder. Not much I suppose because he’s never been a Turkey perhaps ? 
    There's something wrong though where farmers (in this case) rely on foreign workers to do these jobs, and why we can't get British people to do them, whether it's wages or the educational/vocational training system where instead of training our own youngsters to do essential jobs, we've relied on getting already trained people in from abroad

I've always thought it was morally dubious to import already trained nurses and doctors from poorer countries also

I know a man with a Turkey farm that’s crying out for workers. Off you go.
    It's because we have produced a generation where a sizeable proportion  are too fucking lazy to get out of bed and go to work. Why work when you can get universal credit and have better stuff than people that work . By the way before you have a go. That doesn't mean everyone just a sizeable proportion.
    Is that still the case though ? Not sure what percentage of people fit your profile but I’m sure it’s shrinking quite rapidly. I think I’m right that there a now a million advertised vacancies across the country. I guess there will always be an underclass that won’t work but I don’t think it’s a generation of people. I’m guessing that dodging a job these days is actually quite difficult. 
  • Options
    Easiest drive to The Valley in donkeys years. I guess a lot of people are staying at home today eeking out their juice for the week ahead.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    cabbles said:
    Currently waiting for a bus at the top of forest hill down to Sydenham to go to my dad’s who will then drive us to the game.  I went out about an hour ago as we are pretty much on empty.  It’s pretty bad round this way for traffic, and the Shell I drove past at the top of Crystal Palace park was out.

I didn’t have time to sit in any queues as I want to get to the game, but haven’t seen a sight of a bus yet.  All a bit inconvenient, but when you see panic buying, do these people not think of the knock on effect for emergency vehicles, public transport etc.   I can’t get my head around it.  I don’t think I could stomach the embarrassment of being that type of person that’s gone out and filled up cans etc.  No shame 
    I was thinking about that earlier. A charitable mind would maybe think that they have either run out of fuel (if on foot) or driving it to someone who has (if in a car). I bet that loads of cars have run out of petrol just trying to find fuel! 

I bet loads of those people aren't doing it for those reasons though!
    Unfortunately I bet not.
    As a species we are a bunch of selfish morons , we really are
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    From the 1st October those travelling in to the UK will no longer be allowed to use EU, EEA, or Swiss national identity cards when entering the UK. They must hold full passports, including presumably non UK truck drivers.
    That is another barrier to a solution to the transportation crisis in the UK.
    I wonder why.
    Why? Don’t they hold passports then? How many people currently travel into the UK with only national identity cards and not a passport ?
    I imagine thousands do currently. They won’t be allowed to after 1st October though.
    I would also think that many currently using non passport ID’s don’t have a current passport.
    So to be clear imagine and think

That doesn’t really equate to another barrier and “I wonder why” I would suggest. 

If it emerges as a barrier it’s surely quickly resolved by those people getting a passport ?

It would be a barrier to for example non UK HGV drivers who currently enter the UK with ID that is not a passport.
    It happens in six days.
    I agree it can be resolved if they all used a passport, but the time it takes them to get one, plus the expense equates to a barrier. But quickly?
    Perhaps non UK HGV drivers don’t want to go to all that kind of faff, especially as is reported there is plenty of work available to them on the continent.
    For the drivers to have to include that decision or action in the equation of their working life, when they didn’t have to before, is an extra barrier, and it is because of ….. (sorry I am not allowed to say Brexit am I?).
    Don’t agree that it’s a faff to get a passport nor need be time consuming. Indeed the relative cost is not high either if it’s your investment to secure a job and to get a job that is better paid than elsewhere in Europe (as I assume that’s what will attract drivers to return). The change on entry requirements will not have been unknown to impacted stakeholders. 

Pure conjecture with no evidence to suggest it’s a meaningful barrier. 

It’s just a scheduled change to entry requirements. 

Quite plausible that many will already hold passports anyway for leisure purposes otherwise visiting the UK or other destinations outside Europe. 

My point is you presented it almost as a confirmed barrier when you seemingly  have no data to support that. 

Yes it is an extra barrier that wasn’t there before. I understand you probably don’t see it as a big deal nevertheless it is a barrier.
    It is also meaningful if it is now a passport when it was ID before, if it means nothing why change?
    I don’t recall saying it means nothing I.e  reverting to passports I just suggest need not be a barrier to taking a driving job. 

Are you still suggesting it’s a meaningful barrier that is going to further exacerbate this petrol distribution issue ?

I just don’t see it as of that magnitude. That is my point. 

Agree to disagree I suggest. 
    Yes we disagree I suspect because we define magnitude differently.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    From the 1st October those travelling in to the UK will no longer be allowed to use EU, EEA, or Swiss national identity cards when entering the UK. They must hold full passports, including presumably non UK truck drivers.
    I wonder why.
    Why? Don’t they hold passports then? How many people currently travel into the UK with only national identity cards and not a passport ?
    I imagine thousands do currently. They won’t be allowed to after 1st October though.
    I would also think that many currently using non passport ID’s don’t have a current passport.

That doesn’t really equate to another barrier and “I wonder why” I would suggest. 

If it emerges as a barrier it’s surely quickly resolved by those people getting a passport ?

It would be a barrier to for example non UK HGV drivers who currently enter the UK with ID that is not a passport.
    It happens in six days.
    I agree it can be resolved if they all used a passport, but the time it takes them to get one, plus the expense equates to a barrier. But quickly?
    Perhaps non UK HGV drivers don’t want to go to all that kind of faff, especially as is reported there is plenty of work available to them on the continent.
    For the drivers to have to include that decision or action in the equation of their working life, when they didn’t have to before, is an extra barrier, and it is because of ….. (sorry I am not allowed to say Brexit am I?).
    Don’t agree that it’s a faff to get a passport nor need be time consuming. Indeed the relative cost is not high either if it’s your investment to secure a job and to get a job that is better paid than elsewhere in Europe (as I assume that’s what will attract drivers to return). The change on entry requirements will not have been unknown to impacted stakeholders. 

Quite plausible that many will already hold passports anyway for leisure purposes otherwise visiting the UK or other destinations outside Europe. 

My point is you presented it almost as a confirmed barrier when you seemingly  have no data to support that. 

Yes it is an extra barrier that wasn’t there before. I understand you probably don’t see it as a big deal nevertheless it is a barrier.
    It is also meaningful if it is now a passport when it was ID before, if it means nothing why change?
    I don’t recall saying it means nothing I.e  reverting to passports I just suggest need not be a barrier to taking a driving job. 

Are you still suggesting it’s a meaningful barrier that is going to further exacerbate this petrol distribution issue ?

As you won’t jet it go quantify magnitude?
  • Options
    Had to drive back to Murston from Marden earlier to pickup some bits from home. Passed 8 garages all having signs saying no diesel or petrol. Start getting worried as my fuel indicator went down to the last bar.
    Turned off the A247 (I think) and got to The Long Hop and traffic was at a standstill. 
    45 minutes later got to the Esso garage on the left, so just about made it.
    Put in £25, guy at the counter said almost everyone else was putting in £50/£60/£70 worth.
    Why do people have to be so greedy. 
    To me it's seems there is a "shortage" because of these selfish gits.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had to drive back to Murston from Marden earlier to pickup some bits from home. Passed 8 garages all having signs saying no diesel or petrol. Start getting worried as my fuel indicator went down to the last bar.
    Turned off the A247 (I think) and got to The Long Hop and traffic was at a standstill. 
    Put in £25, guy at the counter said almost everyone else was putting in £50/£60/£70 worth.
    Because people are sheep, perhaps the question back is why isn’t the garage limiting these large purchases 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    I wonder why.

It happens in six days.

Magnitude in itself is a riff on quantity, it’s like you’ve asked me how long is a piece of string.
    Things change for the worse on October 1st is my view. I have explained my reasons.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    I wonder why.

It happens in six days.

Magnitude in itself is a riff on quantity, it’s like you’ve asked me how long is a piece of string.
    Things change for the worse on October 1st is my view. I have explained my reasons.
    No not like how long is a piece of string at all. 

It’s only for the worse in this context if any of the potentially returning drivers dont have a passport and can’t get one in the window they want to. Seems an unlikely complication of any significance unless I misunderstand the practicalities of switching from one form of identification to another. 

• Options
    Ross said:
    Jon_CAFC_ said:
    Because people are sheep, perhaps the question back is why isn’t the garage limiting these large purchases 
    I would arguably say that the large purchases should be allowed. Anyone filling up under a tenner or twenty quid (unless it’s a motorbike) clearly doesn’t need it.
    I was thinking that. Surely the large purchases are people who need to fill up. It is the small ones that are not needed which are causing the issue isn't it. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    To be honest I doubt too many of the drivers from Eastern Europe won’t already have a passport. Whether or not enough of them still see the U.K. as a good place to come is quite another matter. There are shortages across Europe so the U.K. will probably have to offer a very big incentive to stop them going off to Germany or France or elsewhere. If working abroad is what they see as best then having the security of working in another EU country must score heavily against a country where even before they consider coming they have been told it’s only temporary. We’ll see soon enough.
  • Options
    I agree but I guess at least it proves those people genuinely did need petrol.
  • Options
    The temporary visa scheme is now only until Christmas Eve, so it will require a big financial incentive to attract EU drivers.
  • Options
    The temporary visa scheme is now only until Christmas Eve, so it will require a big financial incentive to attract EU drivers.
    It might help if the media stopped encouraging panic buying....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’ll be honest, if people heard Bodger say one thing, after the last 18 months, people aren’t prepared to believe him, hence panic
  • Options
    The shortage of drivers isn't only for petrol. The boss of Iceland was on Question Time this week and said that Christmas is going to be difficult, so not only the media. 
  • Options
    The shortage of drivers isn't only for petrol. The boss of Iceland was on Question Time this week and said that Christmas is going to be difficult, so not only the media. 
    The media just exacerbate any problems.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I really can’t understand this. Christmas is 13 weeks away. Probably going to take anyone wanting to come 2 or 3 weeks at least to get things arranged. I also presume that they all already have jobs ? Why wouldn’t they as they’re in such demand. Most will want to get home a few days before Christmas so realistically it leaves them perhaps 10 or 11 weeks at best to work when they then have to go home again and look for another position. Can’t see why anyone would want to come unless there is mega bucks involved which would royally piss me off if I was a Brit driver on £11.50 an hour.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    I wonder why.

It happens in six days.

It’s only for the worse in this context if any of the potentially returning drivers dont have a passport and can’t get one in the window they want to. Seems an unlikely complication of any significance unless I misunderstand the practicalities of switching from one form of identification to another. 

Indeed. If drivers don’t have a passport they might indeed struggle to fill in the forms, get the photos sorted, get them verified, send them off, pay the fee, and await the arrival of said passports. And hope the passport arrives in time. There may also be extra bureaucratic demands and visa fees to pay. Something not needed for many HGV drivers at the moment.
    It seems you see such a faff as insignificant, I see it as an extra barrier and a problem.
    The problem is down to the UK leaving the EU.

• Options
    McBobbin said:
    First world problems abound... Couldnt get into my usual Tesco because of blocked by cars, so went to the one in town. Had those trolleys that took a pound. Did I have a pound? No. Did any of the tills in the shop have a pound? Yes! The fourth one I had to queue up for. So glad I was wearing a mask so I could mouth death threats at every person in the shop
    You need to get one of those token things for the key ring, saves all that malarky.  Plenty on Amazon.

Wife got one of those from 'bargin store' on a previous visit went there yesterday and it didn't fit in thier trolly!!!
  • Options
    Only again because we all buy too much or at least more than we need when in reality shops are only shut for one of two days. 

• Options
    kakaka said:
    McBobbin said:
    First world problems abound... Couldnt get into my usual Tesco because of blocked by cars, so went to the one in town. Had those trolleys that took a pound. Did I have a pound? No. Did any of the tills in the shop have a pound? Yes! The fourth one I had to queue up for. So glad I was wearing a mask so I could mouth death threats at every person in the shop
    You need to get one of those token things for the key ring, saves all that malarky.  Plenty on Amazon.

Wife got one of those from 'bargin store' on a previous visit went there yesterday and it didn't fit in thier trolly!!!
    Help for heroes do these and it obviously helps a good cause too. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    I wonder why.

It happens in six days.

Indeed. If drivers don’t have a passport they might indeed struggle to fill in the forms, get the photos sorted, get them verified, send them off, pay the fee, and await the arrival of said passports. And hope the passport arrives in time. There may also be extra bureaucratic demands and visa fees to pay. Something not needed for many HGV drivers at the moment.
    It seems you see such a faff as insignificant, I see it as an extra barrier and a problem.
    The problem is down to the UK leaving the EU.

Scaremongering right there. Zero evidence that passports will be an issue or a faff. 

Not denying Brexit has a part to play. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!