Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Petrol Supply Problems

Comments

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Brexit thread is over there —————>
    Yeah we get it.  Brexit = boring.  
    But also, Brexit = relavant to this thread. 
    It's not relevant though is it, surely that's clear, 
    You can repeat this all you like and ignore every single article and every single HGV boss who said it is one of the reasons, you can also ignore Boris himself, Mr Vote leave, making it easier for foreign drivers to come back.  But it doesn’t change the fact it is relevant. 
    I don't care what HGV bosses are saying. I'm living it mate.

For people who keep on about Brexit and how we should all be as one. You lot are incredibly insular regarding the situation everywhere else. 
    HGV bosses, what do they know about HGV eh.
    Thats like saying that Gavin Williamson is a good judge of character when it comes to Education because he was in charge of it - How many people get into Senior roles yet dont have clue about what they're running.

Or a certain Mr Keohane at the Valley perhaps?
    Is it though?  Politicians and directors of companies are two different things.

I mean if you can’t take a HGV bosses word on HGV’s who’s word can you take?
    I certainly wouldnt listen to Senior Management

Would rather listen to those a few tiers down who actually have sight on issues day to day
    The senior management I work with went through all the tiers.  How about a HGV boss who’s done that will that suffice?
    Yeah that'll do... Who is it?
    Eddie Stobart ?
  • Options
    lonman said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    You can repeat this all you like and ignore every single article and every single HGV boss who said it is one of the reasons, you can also ignore Boris himself, Mr Vote leave, making it easier for foreign drivers to come back.  But it doesn’t change the fact it is relevant. 

For people who keep on about Brexit and how we should all be as one. You lot are incredibly insular regarding the situation everywhere else. 
    Thats like saying that Gavin Williamson is a good judge of character when it comes to Education because he was in charge of it - How many people get into Senior roles yet dont have clue about what they're running.

Or a certain Mr Keohane at the Valley perhaps?
    Is it though?  Politicians and directors of companies are two different things.

I mean if you can’t take a HGV bosses word on HGV’s who’s word can you take?
    I certainly wouldnt listen to Senior Management

Would rather listen to those a few tiers down who actually have sight on issues day to day
    The senior management I work with went through all the tiers.  How about a HGV boss who’s done that will that suffice?
    Yeah that'll do... Who is it?
    Eddie Stobart ?
    Have you got any quotes from him?
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Addickted said:
    Rothko said:
    Addickted said:
    Rothko said:
    seth plum said:
    Is there a relationship between drivers wanting full tanks and range anxiety for electric vehicle drivers, and even the desire to always have phones and tablets charged up?
    Saw a EV driver pointing and laughing at those in the queue this morning.
    As he drove off in his £100k Tesla company car.
    £30k Nissan Leaf 
    And he was the one laughing?

160 mile range - if he's careful. I'll give him a wave on my way to Fleetwood next Saturday.

Real-life review What happens when you run out of battery in an electric  car  Leasingcom
    I’m sure he’ll live with his 240 mile range and less then a tenner to charge at home
    Under the latest WLTP tests, Nissan quotes a range of 168 miles for the standard Leaf, and you can actually expect to see a range of around 160 miles in everyday use, in the summer at least: cold weather seriously limits EV range, and you might be lucky to get around 100 miles from a full charge when it's really chilly
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

Well to be honest mate, I'd sooner go by my own lived experience, than listen to an angry "HGV boss's"  political punditry on current affairs. But if we have to use "HGV bosses" for the answers, I'm sure you'll find a few that would give you other reasons

• Options
    Anyone want to have a dig at the Turkey farmer who says his business is stuffed (see what I did there ?) because he can’t get pluckers, packers, slaughter men and get his produce transported and blames 100% Brexit. What would he know about Turkey farming I wonder. Not much I suppose because he’s never been a Turkey perhaps ? 
    Well Turkey isnt even a Member of the EU anyway!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

Well to be honest mate, I'd sooner go by my own lived experience, than listen to an angry "HGV boss's"  political punditry on current affairs. But if we have to use "HGV bosses" for the answers, I'm sure you'll find a few that would give you other reasons

With the greatest respect.  That is absolute nonsense.  

So anyone who you suspect voted remain you just ignore even if they are the head of the industry in discussion?
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

but its as you say not the only reason.
    Indeed.  We’ve all discussed Covid and poor conditions for drivers in quite a civil manner, soon as you bring Brexit up people act like it’s their little sister and you can’t say anything about her, strange.
    Brexit unfortunately became very emotive and since the vote to now has become even more so. so its not that strange people get a bit touchy over it.  i agree that for some they become defensive over the subject and in a way ignore it. on the other side of the argument they become more aggressive due possibly to frustration that others arent seeing that Brexit is an issue. However it then becomes the only issue in peoples minds. forgetting about every other factor (not just talking about this particular issue with HGV drivers) that contributes. Reason why the tories use the great divide and conquer tactic for many a year. 

• Options
    So, anyone know of any South East deliveries of fuel today, or stations that are open without massive queues?

Thought this thread may be useful for this kind of information, rather than morphing in from the HoC Brexit thread.
  • Options
    This thread is getting soooo boring...i'm off to fill me car up!! B)
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    Excellent article.
    https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/supply-chain/the-real-causes-of-the-hgv-driver-shortage-and-why-we-cant-blame-it-all-on-brexit/659841.article

18% of driver losses are due to EU drivers leaving the UK.

''It led a logistics thinktank led by Driver Require to conclude “EU drivers leaving the UK did not significantly contribute to the current shortage”, in a new report published this week.

Brits are certainly the more significant factor. Over 55,000 domestic drivers left the industry during the last 18 months. Retirement, a lack of driving tests during Covid, and tax changes have all been cited as the cause.

''It should be noted first and foremost that Britain’s driver shortage is not a new phenomenon. Even in the heady days before Covid or Brexit, the UK was already lacking around 76,000 drivers, according to Logistics UK.''
    For those who insist its the biggest/second biggest cause
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You would have thought all of this would have been more likely to have happened during the 'pingdemic'.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    lonman said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

From the sounds of it you live in France. But let's look at the evidence. Petrol Shortages due to shortage of delivery drivers. Road Haulage Association members say the 2nd biggest reason for this is the exodus of EU Drivers. Boris Johnson does a U Turn and issues Visas to EU Drivers and you believe that a shortage of EU Drivers has nothing to do with it and the HGV "Boss's" are "Angry" and Political Pundits are in affect making it all up ????
    Sorry mate, not getting drawn in any more. I know for a stone cold fact there's huge problems across Europe with regards to drivers.

My point hasn't been anything to do with Brexit, just that the fuel problem hasn't got anything to do with lack of drivers, and more to do with people rinsing their local petrol stations dry. 
    This is a really important point that shouldn't be missed. 
  • Options
    Anyone want to have a dig at the Turkey farmer who says his business is stuffed (see what I did there ?) because he can’t get pluckers, packers, slaughter men and get his produce transported and blames 100% Brexit. What would he know about Turkey farming I wonder. Not much I suppose because he’s never been a Turkey perhaps ? 
    Mother plucker
  • Options
    The treasury will be happy. Think of all that extra petrol duty and VAT they've earned in the past couple of days.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    So, anyone know of any South East deliveries of fuel today, or stations that are open without massive queues?

Thought this thread may be useful for this kind of information, rather than morphing in from the HoC Brexit thread.
    Mentioned yesterday the wife waited just ten minutes eltham high street opposite graveyard, Tesco garage.

And it hasn’t morphed into the HoC Brexit thread, brexit as a whole isn’t being discussed it’s Brexit in relation to driver shortages.
  • Options
    But you've not mentioned panic buying, just Brexit
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    But you've not mentioned panic buying, just Brexit
    I literally posted two massive daily Mail headlines and stated  “people are idiots”  

About two pages ago for all to see so wrong again.

• Options
    Place your bets.....who is going to get the last word?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    We walked the dog to Asda his morning and there was a massive queue as I waited with him outside whilst my wife got some bits. One of the things that crossed my mind in the decent amount of time I had to contemplate (why does she take so long to shop?) was how big the Garage petrol tanks must be. I hadn't really thought of it before. The second thing was the fact that it isn't like filling the garage or spare room with toilet rolls, these idiots will fill up (not all of them are idiots of course, some genuinely need petrol). When they fill up, they will probably be a bit careful how they use their car because they are so frightened of running out, so by Tuesday, Wednesday ish, the sane people ought to be able to get their petrol. 

Pubs must be missing a trick not reporting a beer shortage.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!