Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Petrol Supply Problems

Comments

• Options
    MrWalker said:
    MrWalker said:
    Excellent article.
    https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/supply-chain/the-real-causes-of-the-hgv-driver-shortage-and-why-we-cant-blame-it-all-on-brexit/659841.article

18% of driver losses are due to EU drivers leaving the UK.

''It led a logistics thinktank led by Driver Require to conclude “EU drivers leaving the UK did not significantly contribute to the current shortage”, in a new report published this week.

Brits are certainly the more significant factor. Over 55,000 domestic drivers left the industry during the last 18 months. Retirement, a lack of driving tests during Covid, and tax changes have all been cited as the cause.

''It should be noted first and foremost that Britain’s driver shortage is not a new phenomenon. Even in the heady days before Covid or Brexit, the UK was already lacking around 76,000 drivers, according to Logistics UK.''
    For those who insist its the biggest/second biggest cause
    another one ruining the narrative...
  • Options
    There is a beer shortage! My local was down to pissy fosters a couple of weeks ago 

• Options
    Chizz said:
    She really is a plant pot. I wonder if she’s up for walking along the queue of cars outside petrol stations up and down the country repeating that.
  • Options
    Place your bets.....who is going to get the last word?
    AFKA
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    But you've not mentioned panic buying, just Brexit
    I literally posted two massive daily Mail headlines and stated  “people are idiots”  

About two pages ago for all to see so wrong again.

Wow. That was just slagging off the Mail. What you posted above the two headlines was;

"People are idiots yes but these lot are c*nts.

But you can't admit to your purely myopic views on this current 'crisis' and just want to swing it around to one thing that seems to rule your life.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Addickted said:
    But you've not mentioned panic buying, just Brexit
    I literally posted two massive daily Mail headlines and stated  “people are idiots”  

About two pages ago for all to see so wrong again.

Wow. That was just slagging off the Mail. What you posted above the two headlines was;

"People are idiots yes but these lot are c*nts.

But you can't admit to your purely myopic views on this current 'crisis' and just want to swing it around to one thing that seems to rule your life.
    “People are stupid”.  <— in relation to panic buying.  

I have no views on this crisis, I’ve repeated relevant views of those who do.  
  • Options
    Carter said:
    There is a beer shortage! My local was down to pissy fosters a couple of weeks ago 

There’s a goals and points shortage at Charlton. I’d have no problem if NA and the ‘team of the day’ start panic buying those, not literally of course…
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So people are saying one of the problems there is a shortfall in drivers is the low wages these drivers earn, but on the other hand they are also saying we need to listen to the HGV bosses who are paying these low wages that the shortage is in fact COVID and Brexit and not the result of low wages.? 

Make it a job worth doing and driver shortages will soon reduce 

• Options
    edited September 2021
    MrOneLung said:
    So people are saying one of the problems there is a shortfall in drivers is the low wages these drivers earn, but on the other hand they are also saying we need to listen to the HGV bosses who are paying these low wages that the shortage is in fact COVID and Brexit and not the result of low wages.? 

Make it a job worth doing and driver shortages will soon reduce 

Increase the wages and watch all the bedwetters scream as their litre of unleaded makes it's way up towards £2. 
  • Options
    From the 1st October those travelling in to the UK will no longer be allowed to use EU, EEA, or Swiss national identity cards when entering the UK. They must hold full passports, including presumably non UK truck drivers.
    That is another barrier to a solution to the transportation crisis in the UK.
    I wonder why.
  • Options
    Went past the petrol station on Lewisham High St today, no fuel. Suspect that's the case with the few petrol stations left,but this kind of brings me to the real causes here, which are the relentless short term vision of government and much business in this country. There are far few petrol stations than there used to be, because it was more profitable to sell them off for flats and keep deliveries going to those left, coupled with them being bigger in new supermarkets. This works fine so long as the deliveries keep flowing. Now apply the same approach to the training and pay and conditions of the workers involved. As others on here have said, driving a tanker is something you need fully trained people doing, because of the obvious risks. So, do businesses invest in training and their workers? Or do they cut that corner and assume the worker will magically acquire the skills to do the job and be prepared to work for low pay and in poor conditions? Maybe they can import cheap workers from Europe to do it who might have been trained in a previous system that believed in investing in training people to do important jobs (see also construction). 
    Brexit is a factor, but only because it has taken away one of the ways that haulage firms kept going. They're only responding to market forces after all,  like customers always demanding lower prices. And training is expensive. 

Funnily enough, this short term vision has been a major driver of why Brexit was so popular. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    From the 1st October those travelling in to the UK will no longer be allowed to use EU, EEA, or Swiss national identity cards when entering the UK. They must hold full passports, including presumably non UK truck drivers.
    I wonder why.
    Why? Don’t they hold passports then? How many people currently travel into the UK with only national identity cards and not a passport ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    I wonder why.
    Why? Don’t they hold passports then? How many people currently travel into the UK with only national identity cards and not a passport ?
    I imagine thousands do currently. They won’t be allowed to after 1st October though.
    I would also think that many currently using non passport ID’s don’t have a current passport.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    I wonder why.
    I imagine thousands do currently. They won’t be allowed to after 1st October though.
    I would also think that many currently using non passport ID’s don’t have a current passport.
    So to be clear imagine and think

That doesn’t really equate to another barrier and “I wonder why” I would suggest. 

If it emerges as a barrier it’s surely quickly resolved by those people getting a passport ?

• Options
    MrWalker said:
    Rothko said:
    seth plum said:
    Is there a relationship between drivers wanting full tanks and range anxiety for electric vehicle drivers, and even the desire to always have phones and tablets charged up?
    Saw a EV driver pointing and laughing at those in the queue this morning.
    And then everyone clapped…
    My 3 year old turned to me and said, "Daddy, why doesn't everyone drive an e!ectric car? Electricity doesn't need foreign truck drivers and it would negate the unnecessary panic buying. Twats."
    So that’s the next manifesto of the Labour Party sorted. We just need to identify another 3 year old to raise the bar for the Tory’s now, preferably one that speaks Franglais so nobody notices the subtle change
  • Options
    Stupidest thing about a fuel shortage? 

People sitting in idling cars in traffic everywhere. (Not one petrol station near me is without fuel yet)
  • Options
    I usually get to the Valley by bus or train. Think I’ll cycle to the Valley today. Probably along the river. Roads likely to be fucked because of the petrol thing and trains packed with those who normally drive in.
  • Options
    lonman said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Brexit thread is over there —————>
    Yeah we get it.  Brexit = boring.  
    But also, Brexit = relavant to this thread. 
    It's not relevant though is it, surely that's clear, 
    You can repeat this all you like and ignore every single article and every single HGV boss who said it is one of the reasons, you can also ignore Boris himself, Mr Vote leave, making it easier for foreign drivers to come back.  But it doesn’t change the fact it is relevant. 
    I don't care what HGV bosses are saying. I'm living it mate.

For people who keep on about Brexit and how we should all be as one. You lot are incredibly insular regarding the situation everywhere else. 
    HGV bosses, what do they know about HGV eh.
    Thats like saying that Gavin Williamson is a good judge of character when it comes to Education because he was in charge of it - How many people get into Senior roles yet dont have clue about what they're running.

Or a certain Mr Keohane at the Valley perhaps?
    It's really not like saying that. Politics is probably one of the only professions where people get appointed with no 'expertise' in the field that they're in charge of.

I'm pretty sure owners of Haulage firms know the haulage business in far greater detail than Gavin Williamson knows education or Pritti Patel knows immigration law.

I’d argue the haulage firms know far more about education and immigration than those two 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    McBobbin said:
    First world problems abound... Couldnt get into my usual Tesco because of blocked by cars, so went to the one in town. Had those trolleys that took a pound. Did I have a pound? No. Did any of the tills in the shop have a pound? Yes! The fourth one I had to queue up for. So glad I was wearing a mask so I could mouth death threats at every person in the shop
    Just snorted my beer down my nose in Brewdog.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    I wonder why.

That doesn’t really equate to another barrier and “I wonder why” I would suggest. 

If it emerges as a barrier it’s surely quickly resolved by those people getting a passport ?

As long as it's blue. That's the important thing.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    I wonder why.

It would be a barrier to for example non UK HGV drivers who currently enter the UK with ID that is not a passport.
    It happens in six days.
    I agree it can be resolved if they all used a passport, but the time it takes them to get one, plus the expense equates to a barrier. But quickly?
    Perhaps non UK HGV drivers don’t want to go to all that kind of faff, especially as is reported there is plenty of work available to them on the continent.
    For the drivers to have to include that decision or action in the equation of their working life, when they didn’t have to before, is an extra barrier, and it is because of ….. (sorry I am not allowed to say Brexit am I?).
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!