Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Petrol Supply Problems

Comments

• Options
    iainment said:
    Because of the queue at a petrol station on Plumstead High Street they’re having to divert buses up to the common to get through to their destinations.

Who said there wouldn’t be Brexit chaos?
    What road are they going up? Riverdale or Purrett neither suitable for buses.
  • Options
    I usually get up early on a Saturday morning, so that I can go to the local Tesco at a time when it is relatively quiet and most of the shoppers are wearing masks. I knew it would be busier this morning with people trying to get into the petrol station, so got there at 7.30 this morning.

There must have been petrol available as Tesco were doing a very good job with controlling the flow of petrol station customers, so that shoppers could get into the supermarket car park. When I finished my shopping there was quite a long queue in the road leading up to the petrol/store entrance. I've since learned from Facebook that they no longer have any petrol. 

I could have gone into the petrol station before getting my shopping, but decided against it as I have half a tank and it will hopefully be enough to enable me to get to work for the three days, I am scheduled to be in the office this week. If this continues though I could be in trouble. Hopefully this will all work itself out this week. 

I live near 2 petrol stations, neither of which had any petrol this morning. Yesterday evening it was so dangerous with vehicles overtaking the queuing cars. This morning, drivers are performing dangerous U-turns when they realise the petrol stations are empty.

• Options
    seth plum said:
    The United Road Transport Union is out there for the guys who drive HGV vehicles for a living, if they wish to join and organise together for better pay and conditions.
    It costs £16.22 per month for the most comprehensively qualified drivers.
    One aim might be to have appropriate compensation for fallow involuntary lay over periods (akin to paying visiting care workers for their time and travel between jobs) and another aim could be to secure proper toilet and washing/shower facilities at truck stop sites.
    Shame, as their aims are;

It is our intention to improve pay and working conditions throughout the industry.

We want recognition of the vital contribution that the road transport industry and professional drivers in particular, make to the nation's economy.

We want to ensure all those who employ road haulage, distribution and logistics workers understand their responsibility to provide a safe and healthy working environment.

We want equality of opportunity for both existing workers and those seeking to join the road haulage, distribution and logistics industry regardless of age, colour, gender, sexual orientation, religion or creed.

We want to ensure, as far as is practicable, that appropriate opportunities exist in the road haulage, distribution and logistics industry for those who experience any form of disability.

• Options
    Mametz said:
    I love the the way that Brexit has allowed us to “ control our borders”. This year we have seen a record number of migrants crossing the Channel on rubber dinghies. They have had no assessment of what skills they can bring to our country. Meanwhile, qualified law-abiding HGV drivers who want to work here have been denied the right to work here.
    Nor what threat they bring to our Country. 40 question 'interrogation' reduced to 4 questions because the border force are so overwhelmed. Pritti Patel possibly the worst Home Secretary in living memory. A Polish guy willing to fill a vacancy that someone British won't fill isn't allowed in and we all pay the price for it. Total Joke this country.  
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    lonman said:
    We can blame ‘the media’ all we want (do people actually still read newspapers?) but you can’t underestimate the total stupidity of the general public. Unless your petrol light is on, what the fuck are people doing?
    It’s know very frustrating but that’s harsh. My filling up routine doesn’t go anywhere near having my petrol light on. I use my car most days and prefer not having to visit a petrol station twice a week to put in £20. My tank is rarely below half full. Many people do run low before topping up because of busy lifestyle. My daughter a classic example. If you need your car for school runs and work and public transport isn’t really an option which is fact for most people then it’s perfectly understandable to me why people are now queuing to ensure they can get the kids to school and themselves to work. Yes there are always idiots but don’t blame the people protecting their livelihood. Blame the people responsible for the shortage. No idea why this country always needs a lowly scapegoat when the real culprits are those running things. 
    Wait, so you know there are people queuing for an hour, causing disruption to other road users, and panic buying, but you’ll still go and get petrol even tho your car is telling you that you don’t need it yet?
    Absolutely this. I have just over half a tank. I know I'll need petrol next week but will cross that bridge when I come to it. If bell ends weren't 'topping up' just in case there would be enough for everybody.
    If there is enough fuel to go around then why tell people not to panic when you know they will! 
    Obviously petrol stations can only hold so much. A couple did run out of fuel (as has happened plenty of times over the years.  The one in Mottingham used to all the time) but word got round and sheeple have gone out all at the same time and filled up,  even if they didn't need to. Meaning fuel that would ordinarily be available, is sitting in the tank of sheeples cars, parked up on their driveway.

Makes you question some people motives for filling up unnecessarily and adding to the problem, when you read some of the posts on here....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Give it a week and this will all have blown over.
    thankfully my tank is half full so I’ll be rationing my driving next week and won’t go near a petrol station. I appreciate that people need their motor for work but for others like me, they should use their noddle and stay off the road for a bit.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    If anyone genuinely needs petrol or diesel motorway service stations still have them although obviously more expensive than locally.
  • Options
    This scenario is purely down to panic buying by selfish people who now have cars sitting on their driveway with their tanks full of fuel. Petrol sales will fall off a cliff in a week or two.

"Sainsbury's said it was experiencing "high demand" for fuel, with a "tiny proportion of sites" temporarily closed.

BP said about 20 of its 1,200 petrol forecourts were closed, with between 50 and 100 sites affected by the loss of at least one grade of fuel.

A "small number" of Tesco refilling stations have also been impacted, said Esso owner ExxonMobil, which runs the sites.

EG Group, which has 341 petrol stations in the UK, is introducing a limit of £30 per customer on all grades of fuel due to "unprecedented customer demand".

One petrol station in Stockport sold 5,280 gallons (24,000 litres) of fuel on Friday, compared to 1,760 gallons (8,000 litres) on the same day the previous week".

• Options
    edited September 2021
    There's some crackpots around, that's for sure
  • Options
    Does anyone know if this is a Europe-wide problem, like the shortage of HGV drivers? We haven't seen petrol shortages or panic buying here yet but wondered if it could be on its way. Haven't read all the way through the thread but what are the factors causing this in the UK?
    Because it won't have an identical affect in every country. Over the last 18 months or so, getting hold of construction timber in France has been impossible. I've just gone back to a lady who wanted me to build her a 60m2 deck, but because I can't source enough timber, I've had to go back and say I can't do it because I'm finding too frustrating, tippunf my anxiety levels over the brim.

In the same suppliers, they run out of every day run of the mill items, such as screws, but instead of them being back in stock in a couple of day, the date on the message is about 4 or 5 weeks off

I've already said there are empty spaces on the shelves here. I tried to do a click and collect shop the other day, but every time I tried to order frozen items, it come up "out of stock"
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    seth plum said:
    The United Road Transport Union is out there for the guys who drive HGV vehicles for a living, if they wish to join and organise together for better pay and conditions.
    One aim might be to have appropriate compensation for fallow involuntary lay over periods (akin to paying visiting care workers for their time and travel between jobs) and another aim could be to secure proper toilet and washing/shower facilities at truck stop sites.

It is our intention to improve pay and working conditions throughout the industry.

We want recognition of the vital contribution that the road transport industry and professional drivers in particular, make to the nation's economy.

We want to ensure all those who employ road haulage, distribution and logistics workers understand their responsibility to provide a safe and healthy working environment.

We want equality of opportunity for both existing workers and those seeking to join the road haulage, distribution and logistics industry regardless of age, colour, gender, sexual orientation, religion or creed.

We want to ensure, as far as is practicable, that appropriate opportunities exist in the road haulage, distribution and logistics industry for those who experience any form of disability.

Why a shame? They read like good aims.
  • Options
    Brexit thread is over there —————>
    Yeah we get it.  Brexit = boring.  
    But also, Brexit = relavant to this thread. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Gribbo said:
    shirty5 said:
    lonman said:
    We can blame ‘the media’ all we want (do people actually still read newspapers?) but you can’t underestimate the total stupidity of the general public. Unless your petrol light is on, what the fuck are people doing?
    It’s know very frustrating but that’s harsh. My filling up routine doesn’t go anywhere near having my petrol light on. I use my car most days and prefer not having to visit a petrol station twice a week to put in £20. My tank is rarely below half full. Many people do run low before topping up because of busy lifestyle. My daughter a classic example. If you need your car for school runs and work and public transport isn’t really an option which is fact for most people then it’s perfectly understandable to me why people are now queuing to ensure they can get the kids to school and themselves to work. Yes there are always idiots but don’t blame the people protecting their livelihood. Blame the people responsible for the shortage. No idea why this country always needs a lowly scapegoat when the real culprits are those running things. 
    Wait, so you know there are people queuing for an hour, causing disruption to other road users, and panic buying, but you’ll still go and get petrol even tho your car is telling you that you don’t need it yet?
    Absolutely this. I have just over half a tank. I know I'll need petrol next week but will cross that bridge when I come to it. If bell ends weren't 'topping up' just in case there would be enough for everybody.
    If there is enough fuel to go around then why tell people not to panic when you know they will! 
    Obviously petrol stations can only hold so much. A couple did run out of fuel (as has happened plenty of times over the years.  The one in Mottingham used to all the time) but word got round and sheeple have gone out all at the same time and filled up,  even if they didn't need to. Meaning fuel that would ordinarily be available, is sitting in the tank of sheeples cars, parked up on their driveway.

Makes you question some people motives for filling up unnecessarily and adding to the problem, when you read some of the posts on here....
    You're attributing way to many brain cells to these deadbeats sitting in lines for petrol they don't need. They're filling up because they're panicking it's that simple. I don't think steadfast remainers are lining up in petrol stations to empty them to prove a point. If this was the case it may have happened already.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    shirty5 said:
    lonman said:

What motives are they?
  • Options
    Is there a relationship between drivers wanting full tanks and range anxiety for electric vehicle drivers, and even the desire to always have phones and tablets charged up?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Addickted said:
    seth plum said:

Why a shame? They read like good aims.
    Because your proposals were "One aim might be to have appropriate compensation for fallow involuntary lay over periods (akin to paying visiting care workers for their time and travel between jobs) and another aim could be to secure proper toilet and washing/shower facilities at truck stop sites", which are not even mentioned by this Trades Union.

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Does anyone know if this is a Europe-wide problem, like the shortage of HGV drivers? We haven't seen petrol shortages or panic buying here yet but wondered if it could be on its way. Haven't read all the way through the thread but what are the factors causing this in the UK?
    Because it won't have an identical affect in every country. Over the last 18 months or so, getting hold of construction timber in France has been impossible. I've just gone back to a lady who wanted me to build her a 60m2 deck, but because I can't source enough timber, I've had to go back and say I can't do it because I'm finding too frustrating, tippunf my anxiety levels over the brim.

In the same suppliers, they run out of every day run of the mill items, such as screws, but instead of them being back in stock in a couple of day, the date on the message is about 4 or 5 weeks off

I've already said there are empty spaces on the shelves here. I tried to do a click and collect shop the other day, but every time I tried to order frozen items, it come up "out of stock"
    Please don't ruin the narrative...
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Is there a relationship between drivers wanting full tanks and range anxiety for electric vehicle drivers, and even the desire to always have phones and tablets charged up?
    Saw a EV driver pointing and laughing at those in the queue this morning.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Brexit thread is over there —————>
    Yeah we get it.  Brexit = boring.  
    But also, Brexit = relavant to this thread. 
    It's not relevant though is it, surely that's clear, 
    You can repeat this all you like and ignore every single article and every single HGV boss who said it is one of the reasons, you can also ignore Boris himself, Mr Vote leave, making it easier for foreign drivers to come back.  But it doesn’t change the fact it is relevant. 
  • Options
    PWR....Just been told petrol companies agreed £30 limit about time.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Rothko said:
    seth plum said:
    Saw a EV driver pointing and laughing at those in the queue this morning.
    As he drove off in his £100k Tesla company car.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!