Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Petrol Supply Problems

Comments

• Options
    If we're talking politics, the obsessions of politicians (especially Blair) that youngsters should get a degree instead of doing necessary work has also helped cause this problem. 

There was something a bit odd that we brought in EU migrants to do essential jobs like building, plumbing or HGV driving, when so many of our own youngsters end up with degrees that equip them for nothing. Or leave school at 16 with nothing, and no career path into useful work
    They weren't migrants. They were citizens. That's the point. We've recreated the protected labour market with no preparation or investigation into whether it is a realistic option.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    And it is starting to look like it isn't. Well done. 
  • Options
    Traffic is a bit chaotic in the SE7 area at the mo, large queue of people trying to get into the garage on lower road. If driving, would suggest an earlier start than usual 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    My missus is frantic. She's supposed to be picking up the son from Aberystwyth on Sunday after he's finished his MA. We've not seen him for over a year and he obviously has a ton of gear to bring home. 

He has nowhere to stay or store his stuff from tomorrow night and even if she gets there, there is no guarantee they can get home from West Wales to Kent.
    How much gear we talking? Cos my guy couldn’t deliver tonight because apparently his car can’t run on sovereignty. Bloody cheek! 😉
  • Options
    Gotta love this thread. People going on about "idiots" panic buying, followed by a series of "updates" about how there's two cars queuing at the Shell garage next to the Isle of Wight ferry, thus fuelling the panic! (If you pardon the pun.)
  • Options
    Mental.
    always go food shopping and get diesel near by at 6am on a Saturday. A tank of derv just about lasts me a week. 
    I drive past 3 petrol stations on the way. 2 sold out and the other had approx 80 cars queueing….6am

looks like I won’t be going to work this week. I can’t afford to be driving around looking for somewhere as I’d get stranded.  :D
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    IanJRO said:
    IanJRO said:
    Reason for this is a labour shortage caused by a combination of Covid and Brexit.

Ending FoM has screwed us when it comes to a ready supply of labour for lower paid jobs, combine this with increasing absenteeism due to the pandemic and it is causing problems across many industries.

Before anyone starts about politics, this isn't a political stance it's just the facts of the matter! :smile:

Any idea why there hasn’t been an issue getting petrol to forecourts prior to this week ? I can’t work out why it’s suddenly an issue. The driver issue has been around for months.
    I don't know the ins and outs but believe some of the impacts are only being seen now as the economy is recovering from the pandemic and so greater strain is being put on the supply chains. 

None of this is being helped by the media telling people not to start panic buying which of course has the opposite effect!
    A few people saying they blame the media for the panic buying. The media (I’m talking TV news here) is only the messenger. It’s politicians telling people not to panic buy, not the media. You can’t expect the media to impose a media blackout on what the politicians are saying. (Although sometimes I feel it might not be a bad idea generally). 
    Newspapers are a different kettle of fish. 
  • Options
    My sister used to live in Holland, and is still in touch with friends over there.

She said there’s a shortage of HGV drivers there as well, and supermarket shelves are bare, so it’s not just us.
  • Options
    My sister used to live in Holland, and is still in touch with friends over there.

She said there’s a shortage of HGV drivers there as well, and supermarket shelves are bare, so it’s not just us.
    Was in Holland this week. Mcdonalds still has milkshakes, the supermarkets still have bottled water and guess what no queues for Petrol. I'll grab you some photos next time. I'm there again in a few weeks.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    IanJRO said:
    IanJRO said:
    Reason for this is a labour shortage caused by a combination of Covid and Brexit.

Ending FoM has screwed us when it comes to a ready supply of labour for lower paid jobs, combine this with increasing absenteeism due to the pandemic and it is causing problems across many industries.

Before anyone starts about politics, this isn't a political stance it's just the facts of the matter! :smile:

Any idea why there hasn’t been an issue getting petrol to forecourts prior to this week ? I can’t work out why it’s suddenly an issue. The driver issue has been around for months.
    I don't know the ins and outs but believe some of the impacts are only being seen now as the economy is recovering from the pandemic and so greater strain is being put on the supply chains. 

None of this is being helped by the media telling people not to start panic buying which of course has the opposite effect!
    A few people saying they blame the media for the panic buying. The media is only the messenger. It’s politicians telling people not to panic buy, not the media. You can’t expect the media to impose a media blackout on what the politicians are saying. (Although sometimes I feel it might not be a bad idea generally). 
    Except headlining those statements in dramatic fashion and having reporters on busy forecourt’s is not just acting as a messenger. 
  • Options
    People are idiots yes but these lot are c*nts.

24 hours later…

• Options
    edited September 2021
    JamesSeed said:
    IanJRO said:
    IanJRO said:

A few people saying they blame the media for the panic buying. The media is only the messenger. It’s politicians telling people not to panic buy, not the media. You can’t expect the media to impose a media blackout on what the politicians are saying. (Although sometimes I feel it might not be a bad idea generally). 
    Except headlining those statements in dramatic fashion and having reporters on busy forecourt’s is not just acting as a messenger. 
    Unfortunately we are a nation of bedwetters. I guarantee most of the people in those lines had no need for petrol, in fact most of the people 'sniffing' around on here for petrol stations with no lines have no need for petrol. I would also add most of the dumdums in 45 minute lines for petrol would say "I'm not influenced by mass media" We need to wake up to the fact most of the nation are sheep blindly following what the news tells them unless it doesn't fit their small minded agendas. The inability of 85% of the population to hold their mud is actually pretty darn funny.
  • Options
    People are idiots yes but these lot are c*nts.

24 hours later…

And if you read the Daily Mail...welll enough said..
  • Options
    Last Saturday morning i put in 20 notes worth of Petrol at a garage in North London. Back then only 3 pumps out of 12 only had any unleaded left. No one was panicking. No one knew any different

However this bunch of clowns in Government and the idiots in the British media (Tv, Radio and Newspapers) highlighting the fact has now caused this situation. 

If any of them had a Brain cell between them they would be dangerous. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Uboat said:
    News outlets: THERE’S A PETROL CRISIS!!! (but don’t panic buy).
    Pretty much how I see it.

Also news outlets: it’s because of Covid and Brexit.

The public: bloody Covid eh.

Don’t forget Br..

BLOODY COVID!
    where has all this happened?

Absolutely plastered all over social network.  To be expected I guess.
    can I suggest you stop reading it then because you're bringing it onto a thread that isn't going down that road until you and rothko start banging on like all seeing all knowing authorities 

all we need is someone to mention race so paddy can rock up in all of his authority , its fucking boring
    The thread is about fuel shortages.

The fuel shortages are due to lorry driver shortages.

The lorry driver shortage is due to Covid and brexit.

So whether if upsets you or not, it is very much “down that road”.  I have no authority on this subject bit of an odd point, I’m just repeating what most media outlets are airing. 
    Lorry driver shortages are Europewide mate  
    So what do you know that the head of UK haulage companies don’t then?  If you have info they don’t you should help them out.
    Shut up and go over onto the relevant Group discussion pages.
    😂 Textbook response when found wanting.

Again, this is a fuel shortage thread, I’m discussing causes of the fuel shortage.  It’s thee most relevant thread.
    textbook bellendery

rather than taking the hint, trying to make others look wrong.

fucking boring
    Taking what hint, if it’s relevant to the thread I’ll post what I want when I want despite who it upsets.  If you can’t stomach discussing the causes of the thread title that’s your problem not mine.  
    whatever, you're boring.
    But right.

He's not right though.

Seeing as the discussion is continueing on here - 
    https://trans.info/en/there-s-a-europe-wide-hgv-driver-shortage-so-why-do-uk-supply-chains-seem-more-disrupted-254524

I'll be happy to post up the empty shelves that they sometimes have in my local supermarkets, with "not available" signs one the shelves, next time I'm in one
    No one is denying there’s issues around Europe.  Our own HGV bosses are saying it’s a combination of Covid and B***** 
    Of course they are. They’ve lost the guys who would drive for peanuts. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Is there a shortage of HGV drivers in America? Seems like where most of the pictures (as above) are coming from.
  • Options
    Eltham Hill at a complete standstill as it has just become a queue for the tesco petrol station. 

Ridiculous
  • Options
    All this is helping with the discussion about getting an EV, that ID 4 is getting closer! 
  • Options
    Does anyone know if this is a Europe-wide problem, like the shortage of HGV drivers? We haven't seen petrol shortages or panic buying here yet but wondered if it could be on its way. Haven't read all the way through the thread but what are the factors causing this in the UK?
  • Options
    Someone at the bbc has a very dry sense of humour when deciding who should report on the fuel fiasco.

I thought this was a joke until I just saw the bloke on TV and realised it is genuine! 
  • Options
    If we're talking politics, the obsessions of politicians (especially Blair) that youngsters should get a degree instead of doing necessary work has also helped cause this problem. 

There was something a bit odd that we brought in EU migrants to do essential jobs like building, plumbing or HGV driving, when so many of our own youngsters end up with degrees that equip them for nothing. Or leave school at 16 with nothing, and no career path into useful work
    I do see where your point is coming from but the bottom line in any career being desirable is ultimately pay followed by decent working conditions. Read Carter’s post above and I think you’ll see why Brits are not attracted to lorry driving. I do agree though that over the last few decades not enough was done to encourage important and good careers with apprenticeship opportunities. There are I’m afraid always going to be some / many jobs where the only skills required will only attract low pay and poor conditions. I think you’re way off beam with saying a degree equips you with nothing. You might just as well say leaving school with A levels equips you withi nothing. What it does do is show any prospective employer that you have what it takes to learn and have staying power if nothing else. 
  • Options
    Does anyone know if this is a Europe-wide problem, like the shortage of HGV drivers? We haven't seen petrol shortages or panic buying here yet but wondered if it could be on its way. Haven't read all the way through the thread but what are the factors causing this in the UK?
    Teed up nicely...
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!