Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Petrol Supply Problems

Comments

• Options
    Addickted said:
    seth plum said:
    Addickted said:
    seth plum said:
    The United Road Transport Union is out there for the guys who drive HGV vehicles for a living, if they wish to join and organise together for better pay and conditions.
    It costs £16.22 per month for the most comprehensively qualified drivers.
    One aim might be to have appropriate compensation for fallow involuntary lay over periods (akin to paying visiting care workers for their time and travel between jobs) and another aim could be to secure proper toilet and washing/shower facilities at truck stop sites.
    Shame, as their aims are;

It is our intention to improve pay and working conditions throughout the industry.

We want recognition of the vital contribution that the road transport industry and professional drivers in particular, make to the nation's economy.

We want to ensure all those who employ road haulage, distribution and logistics workers understand their responsibility to provide a safe and healthy working environment.

We want equality of opportunity for both existing workers and those seeking to join the road haulage, distribution and logistics industry regardless of age, colour, gender, sexual orientation, religion or creed.

We want to ensure, as far as is practicable, that appropriate opportunities exist in the road haulage, distribution and logistics industry for those who experience any form of disability.

Why a shame? They read like good aims.
    Because your proposals were "One aim might be to have appropriate compensation for fallow involuntary lay over periods (akin to paying visiting care workers for their time and travel between jobs) and another aim could be to secure proper toilet and washing/shower facilities at truck stop sites", which are not even mentioned by this Trades Union.

Really?
    The first aim you quoted was to improve pay and working conditions. Two of the things I specifically mentioned.
  • Options
    Brexit thread is over there —————>
    Cant give it a rest can they.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Rothko said:
    seth plum said:
    Is there a relationship between drivers wanting full tanks and range anxiety for electric vehicle drivers, and even the desire to always have phones and tablets charged up?
    Saw a EV driver pointing and laughing at those in the queue this morning.
    As he drove off in his £100k Tesla company car.
    £30k Nissan Leaf 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Does anyone know if this is a Europe-wide problem, like the shortage of HGV drivers? We haven't seen petrol shortages or panic buying here yet but wondered if it could be on its way. Haven't read all the way through the thread but what are the factors causing this in the UK?
    @CharltonMadrid there are no petrol shortages. We have plenty. 
    If there are problems getting petrol to petrol stations then there is a shortage to the end users. Just because the refineries and depots are full it doesn’t mean people can be sanguine.

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Addickted said:
    Rothko said:
    seth plum said:
    Is there a relationship between drivers wanting full tanks and range anxiety for electric vehicle drivers, and even the desire to always have phones and tablets charged up?
    £30k Nissan Leaf 
    And he was the one laughing?

160 mile range - if he's careful. I'll give him a wave on my way to Fleetwood next Saturday.

Real-life review What happens when you run out of battery in an electric  car  Leasingcom
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Because of the queue at a petrol station on Plumstead High Street they’re having to divert buses up to the common to get through to their destinations.

Who said there wouldn’t be Brexit chaos?
    What road are they going up? Riverdale or Purrett neither suitable for buses.
    Griffin Road.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Yeah we get it.  Brexit = boring.  
    But also, Brexit = relavant to this thread. 
    It's not relevant though is it, surely that's clear, 
    You can repeat this all you like and ignore every single article and every single HGV boss who said it is one of the reasons, you can also ignore Boris himself, Mr Vote leave, making it easier for foreign drivers to come back.  But it doesn’t change the fact it is relevant. 

but its as you say not the only reason.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    Because of the queue at a petrol station on Plumstead High Street they’re having to divert buses up to the common to get through to their destinations.

Griffin Road.
    Are they going down Kings Highway then?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Addickted said:
    Rothko said:
    Addickted said:
    Rothko said:
    seth plum said:
    £30k Nissan Leaf 
    And he was the one laughing?

160 mile range - if he's careful. I'll give him a wave on my way to Fleetwood next Saturday.

Real-life review What happens when you run out of battery in an electric  car  Leasingcom
    I’m sure he’ll live with his 240 mile range and less then a tenner to charge at home
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    iainment said:
    Reasons for fuel crisis need to be here though.

Don’t be an ostrich.
    Or people can discuss here the troubles of finding a petrol station where they fill up

And if they want to get political they can go to the HoC and discuss on the relevant thread there?

Imagine a good number of people dont want to see threads turning political, because we've seen over countless other threads that posters on here just cant remain respectful and it'll just turn into a giant slagging match.
    Not political really. Just a statement of fact that the Exodus of EU drivers has contributed to the mess we are in. Maybe Brexit had nothing to do with the exodus of EU Drivers ?However, only a real dumdum would deny that the exodus of EU Drivers has had no impact in creating current shortages. As a previous poster pointed out Mr Leave himself (Boris Johnson) who for months has refused to issue visas to EU Drivers has now U Turned. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    You can repeat this all you like and ignore every single article and every single HGV boss who said it is one of the reasons, you can also ignore Boris himself, Mr Vote leave, making it easier for foreign drivers to come back.  But it doesn’t change the fact it is relevant. 
    I don't care what HGV bosses are saying. I'm living it mate.

For people who keep on about Brexit and how we should all be as one. You lot are incredibly insular regarding the situation everywhere else. 
    HGV bosses, what do they know about HGV eh.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

but its as you say not the only reason.
    Indeed.  We’ve all discussed Covid and poor conditions for drivers in quite a civil manner, soon as you bring Brexit up people act like it’s their little sister and you can’t say anything about her, strange.
  • Options
    What if he's disabled, or has a hospital appointment, or has to visit a sick relative or requires medication or has an emergency amongst his family?

I'm sure you will live as you report some wanker smiling at other peoples problems no matter how petty they are.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

For people who keep on about Brexit and how we should all be as one. You lot are incredibly insular regarding the situation everywhere else. 
    Thats like saying that Gavin Williamson is a good judge of character when it comes to Education because he was in charge of it - How many people get into Senior roles yet dont have clue about what they're running.

Or a certain Mr Keohane at the Valley perhaps?
  • Options
    Brexit is for life not just for Christmas.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

Who'd a thunk it. A guy on an internet forum knows more about HGV's and Logistics than the owners of HGV and Logistics companies. 
  • Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:

Griffin Road.
    Are they going down Kings Highway then?
    Maybe. I didn’t get that far. I was walking back up from the station to home.

On the way I was surprised to see that the Old Mill’s windows are boarded up. Apparently they were smashed on Thursday night.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

Thats like saying that Gavin Williamson is a good judge of character when it comes to Education because he was in charge of it - How many people get into Senior roles yet dont have clue about what they're running.

Is it though?  Politicians and directors of companies are two different things.

I mean if you can’t take a HGV bosses word on HGV’s who’s word can you take?
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

I certainly wouldnt listen to Senior Management

Would rather listen to those a few tiers down who actually have sight on issues day to day
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

It's really not like saying that. Politics is probably one of the only professions where people get appointed with no 'expertise' in the field that they're in charge of.

I'm pretty sure owners of Haulage firms know the haulage business in far greater detail than Gavin Williamson knows education or Pritti Patel knows immigration law.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    lonman said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

It's really not like saying that. Politics is probably one of the only professions where people get appointed with no 'expertise' in the field that they're in charge of.

I'm pretty sure owners of Haulage firms know the haulage business in far greater detail than Gavin Williamson knows education or Pritti Patel knows immigration law.

Williamson was mentioned tongue in cheek, hence why I then added Tony...
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

Would rather listen to those a few tiers down who actually have sight on issues day to day
    The senior management I work with went through all the tiers.  How about a HGV boss who’s done that will that suffice?
  • Options
    lonman said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

Williamson was mentioned tongue in cheek, hence why I then added Tony...
    Regardless if you think this current shower we call a government could organise a bunk up in a brothel, I've got a bridge I can sell you.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

The senior management I work with went through all the tiers.  How about a HGV boss who’s done that will that suffice?
    Yeah that'll do... Who is it?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!