Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Covered End Support

124»

Comments

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    I've had a ST for 40+ years, this is the worst side I've seen - every week there's half a dozen changes and we look so ill prepared, we seem to change our shape/systems 10/15 mins into every game, why???

I'm normally one to give managers and players a chance, but this is the lowest we've been in my lifetime. Yes the players aren't performing but the buck stops with the manager.

With the squad available NA should be doing better, I've seen no real improvement over the past few weeks. I don't think he's going to be able to turn this around and I think he's getting off pretty lightly at the moment.
    ‘Sacked in the morning’ is getting off lightly?
    after 30 mins of more absolute crap and being 0-1 (again) yes....we look the same clueless side at the start of every game
    It’s still not ‘getting off lightly’ though is it.

Also, there is one main effect of singing things like that, and it isn’t him getting sacked in the morning. It’s our heads going down, and the oppositions’ going up. We’re literally less likely to win the game as a result. Are you happy with that?

If Sandgaard wants to sack the manager he’ll do it, but in the meantime I don’t want to stifle an obviously nervous team, just when things are starting to come together (a bit), because that’s what those chants do. There have been plenty of clubs who have recovered from a shocking start to a season without sacking the manager. I’d give him five more games at least, but in that time I’d like to see him being braver with his formations and selections.

(This is written with no behind the scenes knowledge, and on the basis that he has a decent reputation in the game. If he’s lost the dressing room, or isn’t liked at the club I might think differently).
    I have never come across a Charlton Manager who has chopped and changed his side and formations as much as Adkins has done in such a short period of time
  • Options
    some people are obviously happy to give Adkins time and to effectively write off this season. Personally I've seen nothing to suggest he's going to turn this around and nothing to suggest he's any idea of his best starting XI or formation. Smashing it up to Stockley takes football back 20 years.

Would love to be proved wrong and for all I know we could go on a 10 game winning streak starting tomorrow, however I wouldn't be lumping on it.

Even if I could see progression I'd kind of get it, but I don't and I can't see it changing
  • Options
    I thought the Covered end encouraged Pomey to take the lead after we equalised !
    they had gone silent and we were singing you only sing when your winning etc. 
    They woke up backed the team and scored? 
    Anyone feel the same ?
  • Options
    I thought the Covered end encouraged Pomey to take the lead after we equalised !
    they had gone silent and we were singing you only sing when your winning etc. 
    They woke up backed the team and scored? 
    Anyone feel the same ?

It looked like their bell ringer was not at the game, that has to be the first time I have been and he's not been strutting his stuff.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    I've had a ST for 40+ years, this is the worst side I've seen - every week there's half a dozen changes and we look so ill prepared, we seem to change our shape/systems 10/15 mins into every game, why???

I'm normally one to give managers and players a chance, but this is the lowest we've been in my lifetime. Yes the players aren't performing but the buck stops with the manager.

With the squad available NA should be doing better, I've seen no real improvement over the past few weeks. I don't think he's going to be able to turn this around and I think he's getting off pretty lightly at the moment.
    after 30 mins of more absolute crap and being 0-1 (again) yes....we look the same clueless side at the start of every game

Also, there is one main effect of singing things like that, and it isn’t him getting sacked in the morning. It’s our heads going down, and the oppositions’ going up. We’re literally less likely to win the game as a result. Are you happy with that?

If Sandgaard wants to sack the manager he’ll do it, but in the meantime I don’t want to stifle an obviously nervous team, just when things are starting to come together (a bit), because that’s what those chants do. There have been plenty of clubs who have recovered from a shocking start to a season without sacking the manager. I’d give him five more games at least, but in that time I’d like to see him being braver with his formations and selections.

(This is written with no behind the scenes knowledge, and on the basis that he has a decent reputation in the game. If he’s lost the dressing room, or isn’t liked at the club I might think differently).
    I have never come across a Charlton Manager who has chopped and changed his side and formations as much as Adkins has done in such a short period of time
     Bowyer last season.
  • Options
    OK referring to “Covered End Support” lumps everyone sitting in the upper and lower together as if we all behave in exactly the same way. I have looked around when the boo’s and negative chants start, but the overwhelming majority I could see were not joining in.

If it wasn’t for the covered end, including those who booed, there would be precious little atmosphere. Given the verdict of some posters re just how poor the side is I’m not surprised that some, never less than passionate, fans boo. I guess at least they are being honest and maybe they are picking up what we are all feeling.
  • Options
    OK fine. Feel free to abuse and demoralise the team you support. It’s perfectly justified and makes great sense. 
  • Options
    Gillingham away you could hear the frustration of the crowd, the two Centre backs just passing between them. I think that’s just a natural reaction of loads of people shouting. However, I find grown adults making a boo noise really strange.
  • Options
    Everyone can do what they want to do.
    Me, it would break me heart to boo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Vincenzo said:
    OK fine. Feel free to abuse and demoralise the team you support. It’s perfectly justified and makes great sense. 
    I don’t boo, chant negatively, abuse, or demoralise Charlton (it’s usually the other way around!)  - I’m just pointing out neither do most fans in the covered end and this thread is all about “covered end support”. Personally I really don’t agree with it at all, but I doesn’t stop me from trying to work out why people do boo.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Everyone can do what they want to do.
    Me, it would break me heart to boo.
    And the majority of fans in the covered end.
  • Options
    So what’s the problem with getting behind the team for 90 mins even if we go one or two nil down and let Adkins have it at the final whistle ? 

Why don't you take it upon yourself to start the chants and cheering then? 

Always feel like people in the crowd blame others for not 'supporting' enough when they sit there in silence or aren't there. 
    I do get behind the side have been  at every match the season inc the pre season ones that weren’t behind closed doors. 

Have you ? 

• Options
    A couple of guys at Gillingham in the side bit at the back, spent the whole of the second half singing negative songs slagging off the team. It made me really annoyed, but they were so pissed they could hardly stand up, so it wasn't worth trying to reason with them.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:

He played the same formation and basically same team for the first 6 games....... 
  • Options
    A couple of guys at Gillingham in the side bit at the back, spent the whole of the second half singing negative songs slagging off the team. It made me really annoyed, but they were so pissed they could hardly stand up, so it wasn't worth trying to reason with them.
    Spot on , trouble is you say something and you might get a slap back, it’s not really what we go to footie for.

Just hope people can get behind the team from the off tonight, those they have got petrol that is!
  • Options
    No booing until final whistle tonight.

Lost 4-1.

As already said, players and management to blame.
  • Options
    Belv said:

Lost 4-1.

That isn't true for the upper north unfortunately. Plenty of boos as each goal went in, and loads of anti Adkins chants before the end too. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Belv said:

Lost 4-1.

That isn't true for the upper north unfortunately. Plenty of boos as each goal went in, and loads of anti Adkins chants before the end too. 
    The defending for each of those goals deserved booing to be fair.
  • Options
    Tbf fans didn't turn, until way into the second half. First half atmosphere was great considering the ground way empty. 
  • Options
    football spectating is a substitute for blood sports ..fans have the right when they feel that they are being cheated and hoodwinked by underperforming, well paid professional sports people, to vent their anger .. always have and always will .. and long may it last .. I am not a 'booer' myself but I don't criticise those who do boo and cuss when things go badly .. they've paid their money and have that right
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Tbf fans didn't turn, until way into the second half. First half atmosphere was great considering the ground way empty. 
    Agreed. Plenty of support and songs for the team for the first 70 minutes, they were applauded off at HT when it was 1-1