Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bring Curbs in

Yes I know ‘we can’t go in the past etc’ and ‘he’s been away for a long time’ but Curbs has watched us play most of last season and this season. 

He’s experienced enough to know what needs sorting out. He knows the club and has been in pressurised situations before.

Comments

• Options
    No thanks 
  • Options
    Definitely no.
  • Options
    Nope
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Get shot of Roddy and make Curbs the advisor to TS.  Get Curbs to appoint Adkins successor.

And for those who say he has been out of the game too long, how long at this level and involvement has Ged Roddy been in before he joined us?
    Agree with this, really like the idea of Curbs being a middle man between the manager and Sandgaard. I think Bob has the right idea above, DOF could work. 
  • Options
    Curbs DoF, Jacko manager
  • Options
    Curbs can certainly work in an advisory role.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The problem is that many see Adkins as a dinosaur, as he has been out of the game for three years, but Curbs has been out since 2008!  It would be great if he could come in and turn it around (we'd play 4-4-2 every week for a start) but there is the threat to his legacy if it didn't work.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Curbs DoF, Jacko manager
    Tea lady head coach?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Curbs DoF, Jacko manager
    Tea lady head coach?

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    No - not least to protect Curbs' legacy.

A young up and coming manager with Curbs as DoF possibly.
    The DoF was more the role I was thinking. I never thought he was interested in football anymore, let alone Charlton (to the extent that he'd turn up every game and be bothered to share his thoughts, as he does at he moment), but after watching and listening to him over last few weeks, I think he'd be interested in having some involvement.

I do think a young manager with some experience would be ideal. I really don't think JJ is the right choice, even if it was under Curbs.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Happy to have curbs involved in some sort of capacity, but not as manager.

I just cant see how someone, after such a long time out, can come back into a hyper competitive and constantly evolving industry and get results.

It's easy enough to sit in a studio and offer analysis, especially with curbs experience and knowledge, and especially when things are going so poorly on the pitch. But management is a whole different ball game which involves so so so so much more. 

I bet the game, the way players train, how sports science and technology etc are used has changed considerably since curbs managed. 

• Options
    MrLargo said:
    No way … very short memories of his last 12/18 months in charge 
    Think you're the one with the very short memory. What a weird thing to say. Some highlights of his last 18 months:

Finished 11th in the Premier League
    Finished 13th in the Premier League
    Knocked Chelsea out of the League Cup on their own patch
    FA Cup Quarter Final
    Relegated Palace

All pretty standard for our time in the Premier League wit Curbs at the helm.
    Indeed. Curbs nearly always got the best out of what he had. We couldn't compete with the likes of Man U, Chelsea, Spurs etc, in terms of attracting players, yet we somehow managed to compete with them on the pitch!
    He played the football that was required to get results, to keep us up, and we praps didn't appreciate that at the time.
    Didn't he also keep West Ham up that season, whilst we went down!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:
    This Curbs chat is becoming ridiculous now. It’s after every single game. 
    The chat every game has been about changing the management team. In bouncing ideas about, Curbs name has come up. I think that's mainly because he has been in and around the club again, albeit as only a pundit, but it's not like he's completely stayed away and lives his life breeding guppies in Kent.
  • Options
    Not that is ever going to happen but those calling for this ask yourself if Curbs was offered to job do you think he would accept it in a million years ? Why would he ? He already has his legacy here, he would need to be mental taking a job with everything to lose and nothing to gain. I can just imagine if he did it and after 3 games thing wasnt going well the calls for his name to be ripped from the stand would be laughable ffs
  • Options
    I’m sure there is a role for him somewhere but not manager.

He has been paid to be part of the pre match team on Charlton tv for how long? Yet he still gets three players names wrong every week. It’s Gunter Alan, not gutner 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Not that is ever going to happen but those calling for this ask yourself if Curbs was offered to job do you think he would accept it in a million years ? Why would he ? He already has his legacy here, he would need to be mental taking a job with everything to lose and nothing to gain. I can just imagine if he did it and after 3 games thing wasnt going well the calls for his name to be ripped from the stand would be laughable ffs
    He was asked this before Adkins was appointed.
    He answered that YES he would be interested in the job.
  • Options
    Nope.
  • Options
    This is worse than all the 'Jackson in' opinions. 

Curbs has been out the game for a decade. If Adkins is a dinosaur Curbs is extinct. 
  • Options
    I’m sure there is a role for him somewhere but not manager.

He has been paid to be part of the pre match team on Charlton tv for how long? Yet he still gets three players names wrong every week. It’s Gunter Alan, not gutner 
    No different to Bobby Robson, who was notorious for getting players names wrong - if he were still alive I would have Bobby Robson as Charlton manager in a heartbeat
  • Options
    I love Curbs to bits, but he’s had his time here, and I wouldn’t want him to tarnish what he did achieve.

Wpuld like to see him as DOF or whatever, too much experience to just throw it away, plus does he want the stress at his age?