Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bring Curbs in

Comments

• Options
    No thanks
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    Fully respect and love the bloke for what he did for us all those years ago, but a no from me. So much has changed in the game over the years and I would hate his golden status to be tarnished, if his past methods fail to deliver the positive change we all want to see immediately.
    I keep hearing this 'so much has changed in the game'. Has it? What's changed since Curbs last managed? 
    Huge focus on sports science, health & nutrition and mental well being for starters. All of that is a completely different ball game and isn’t down to one or more individuals, but led by the manager. I put a lot of Bowyer’s shortcomings at Charlton being down to him managing in the style and experiences of George Graham rather than him evolving his own appropriate ‘2021’ style of management, complimentary with what players expect and hope to see nowadays from leaders. Just my POV.
    Curbs last managed 12 years ago?

In that time players may be fitter (marginal) and better fed - neither affects the management of a squad or game management. 

Tactics may have developed into slight variations on a theme but nothing radical and certainly not in a way that Curbs hasn’t observed  and understood- and particularly how to match or combat.

Management styles are still as many and varied as they always were - I’ve very closely observed half a dozen managers in the last decade and all were different ranging from softly softly motivational to slightly right of Attila the Hun. They all still exist.

Curbs will have changed but the game is just as he knew it.
    Curbs was probably doing 4 or 5 different jobs back then, that clubs now employ specific positions to carry out.
    If anything the role of "team manager" is now far more focussed and easier, than when Curbs, (especially Curbs/Gritty), were doing the job.
    Football remains a simple game that is too often these days over analysed, and made to be far more complicated than it needs to be.
    Success revolves around buying players with the required character and ability. Building a team with said players and then getting them to perform to the best of their ability.
    With success comes confidence, with confidence players improve, and the team actually wins games.
    Those were Curbs strengths, others could help him out with all the sports science and technical analysis stuff that he may be behind on.
    I just don't get all the "it's been too long", "don't spoil your legacy" stuff!
    A certain pop group from Sweden have just come back after 40 years, and to my ears, sound better than ever. 
    Talent and class endures! 

• Options
    I’d certainly like him to be involved in some capacity- no as manager though - I wouldn’t wish managing that shower of shit on him. 
  • Options
    We have the A team sittting in the charlton tv studio - we need it influencing the team, not talking about it  
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    Fully respect and love the bloke for what he did for us all those years ago, but a no from me. So much has changed in the game over the years and I would hate his golden status to be tarnished, if his past methods fail to deliver the positive change we all want to see immediately.
    I keep hearing this 'so much has changed in the game'. Has it? What's changed since Curbs last managed? 
    Huge focus on sports science, health & nutrition and mental well being for starters. All of that is a completely different ball game and isn’t down to one or more individuals, but led by the manager. I put a lot of Bowyer’s shortcomings at Charlton being down to him managing in the style and experiences of George Graham rather than him evolving his own appropriate ‘2021’ style of management, complimentary with what players expect and hope to see nowadays from leaders. Just my POV.

In that time players may be fitter (marginal) and better fed - neither affects the management of a squad or game management. 

Tactics may have developed into slight variations on a theme but nothing radical and certainly not in a way that Curbs hasn’t observed  and understood- and particularly how to match or combat.

Management styles are still as many and varied as they always were - I’ve very closely observed half a dozen managers in the last decade and all were different ranging from softly softly motivational to slightly right of Attila the Hun. They all still exist.

Curbs was probably doing 4 or 5 different jobs back then, that clubs now employ specific positions to carry out.
    If anything the role of "team manager" is now far more focussed and easier, than when Curbs, (especially Curbs/Gritty), were doing the job.
    Football remains a simple game that is too often these days over analysed, and made to be far more complicated than it needs to be.
    Success revolves around buying players with the required character and ability. Building a team with said players and then getting them to perform to the best of their ability.
    With success comes confidence, with confidence players improve, and the team actually wins games.
    Those were Curbs strengths, others could help him out with all the sports science and technical analysis stuff that he may be behind on.
    A certain pop group from Sweden have just come back after 40 years, and to my ears, sound better than ever. 

That pop group are not seen as they are and the music is not so clever really
    But if you could choose, who would you have as the new manager? Benny or Bjorn?
  • Options
    The “Will Curbs Come Back?” is going to be the new “Will we move to the peninsula?” isnt it? 
  • Options
    If he got the gig I wonder if he would persist with "Gut-nah" at right back, or maybe learn to say his name properly?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    No - not least to protect Curbs' legacy.

A young up and coming manager with Curbs as DoF possibly.
    Yes, but why not give Curbs the rest of the season with a view to bringing JJ or Euell through? 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

He managed in the 2000s not the 1900s. There were analysts, sports psychologists, etc when he managed.

But yes, absolutely he could still manage a football club successfully. Us especially. 
  • Options
    get him in as caretaker manager whilst we look for replacement if his successful we can stop looking
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    If he got the gig I wonder if he would persist with "Gut-nah" at right back, or maybe learn to say his name properly?

Praps naught chance of that happening
  • Options
    I don’t think Tommy will pull the plug on Nigel so we have him for the rest of the season.

No to Curbs if a vacancy arose.

• Options
    I don’t think Tommy will pull the plug on Nigel so we have him for the rest of the season.

No to Curbs if a vacancy arose.

If TS wants success, albeit slower than originally planned, then it's clear that NA has a very decent squad of players, covering all positions, I think, but doesn't have the wherewithal to produce a winning performance from them.

Fans will continue to demand more, and rightly so, and attendances will inevitably suffer. 

If nothing changes, then relegation would be a distinct possibility, with far less than 9k season tickets purchased next summer. 

Surely Thomas would realise that the current set up is a recipe for disaster and as a successful businessman, this will not only be a huge blow to his ego/reputation but also take a heavy toll on his finances. 

I would think that the first step in sorting out this unholy mess is for our owner to take another flight back to Blighty ASAP and call an emergency meeting with all parties ie  NA, SG, WM & GR , putting all their cards on the table and staying around the table for as long as it takes to thrash out their grievances & see if they can agree on the positive steps to be taken in order to stop the rot. No holds barred.

However, maybe any plans agreed should have a time limit for improvement which, I guess, has to be around December so that the way forward may be re-evaluated before the January window opens, regardless of whether there needs to be additional money spent at that time. 

Want simplicity ? Then this is as simple as a simple, if extremely concerned, old gal can make it. 

For me, it's personnel & their remits that need to be overhauled. 

Before the players can be fully cognisant of their roles on the pitch, those who recruited them & now pull their strings need to step up to the plate and show what being a team player means.

And TS needs to make it abundantly clear to all concerned that their jobs may not be "for life", but just until Christmas.... 
  • Options
    No, no,no,no,no,NO….. Only my opinion obviously…. 
  • Options
    On 24 December 2013, Curbishley was appointed technical director at Premier League side Fulham.[24] In February 2014 following the appointment of a new manager at Fulham, Felix Magath, Curbishley was dismissed after less than two months in the role.[25] He rejoined the coaching staff on 5 March 2015, to work alongside Kit Symons, for the remainder of the 2014-15 season.[26][deprecated source] On 9 November 2015, Curbishley took charge of Fulham's first-team training following the dismissal of Symons

But he’s not been involved in football for 12 years  

I’m pretty certain a new manager bounce will arrive when Adkins goes .

As romantic as it is Curbishley doesn’t deserve the hassle but a younger man like SCP would love it I’m sure, go get him Sando 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I'd rather see Daryl McMahon with Curbs as DoF. And bring Gritt with him.
  • Options
    Why so many suggestions of Curbs as DoF? That’s Gallen’s role, or is it a suggestion for him to replace Roddy? Why would we want Curbs overseeing the academy and sports science (which is what Gallen said Roddy took over from him)?

Curbs in a DoF or similar role would result in rumours of him taking over from the manager every time the club goes on a bad run.

Bolton seem to be doing well without bringing back Big Sam. They’re another club that have brought in an impressive young manager who gets his teams playing good football.
  • Options
    Just an idea to put out there ... he certainly fits the bill and would provide TS experience and boost moral ... fans would trust him ... that is missing with current set up.
  • Options
    We need that 'Ronaldo' factor.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Why so many suggestions of Curbs as DoF? That’s Gallen’s role, or is it a suggestion for him to replace Roddy? Why would we want Curbs overseeing the academy and sports science (which is what Gallen said Roddy took over from him)?

Curbs in a DoF or similar role would result in rumours of him taking over from the manager every time the club goes on a bad run.

Bolton seem to be doing well without bringing back Big Sam. They’re another club that have brought in an impressive young manager who gets his teams playing good football.

To be fair, I agree... I mean Jacko with Curbs as his assistant, in the Lennie Lawrence kind of advisory role
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOF for me to add experience, couldn't be worse that we have now
  • Options
    On 24 December 2013, Curbishley was appointed technical director at Premier League side Fulham.[24] In February 2014 following the appointment of a new manager at Fulham, Felix Magath, Curbishley was dismissed after less than two months in the role.[25] He rejoined the coaching staff on 5 March 2015, to work alongside Kit Symons, for the remainder of the 2014-15 season.[26][deprecated source] On 9 November 2015, Curbishley took charge of Fulham's first-team training following the dismissal of Symons

But he’s not been involved in football for 12 years  

I’m pretty certain a new manager bounce will arrive when Adkins goes .

As romantic as it is Curbishley doesn’t deserve the hassle but a younger man like SCP would love it I’m sure, go get him Sando 
    I agree with you about the dangerous, romantic idea about a new Curbishley managerial regime, however, and excuse me for pointing out, he was the temp manager at Fulham in 2015, that is six and not twelve years ago. Also splitting hairs about 'involved in football', Lord L has always been and still is very much 'involved' in football,  though not of course as a manager
  • Options
    Scoham said:

I know thats his title but Gallen is really head of recruitment - i think that title is just a hangover from when it was just him and bowyer - roddy seems to be DOF now if he's overseeing the whole of the football operation so its him who can be turfed out for Curbs  
  • Options
    Just read that article and he makes very good points. Personally if it was too happen and Adkins gets the boot then I think 100% Curbs goes in as manager until the end of the season at least. 
  • Options
    coz roddy is in position unfortunately - what a huge lift the whole club would get if Curbs were to replace him - fans, players, staff - it would be lift off and it would put thousands on the gate as well 
  • Options
    just read it - exactly what most of us have been saying for some time now - get him in TS and do yourself and the club a huge favour   
  • Options
    He’s a better businessman than all of us, but TS is also extremely naive and seemingly stubborn with changing things, I can’t see him doing this. Should have appointed Varney as CEO & brought in Curbs from day one, he will always be hailed the one that saves us but he will lose the fans if he doesn’t make changes.
  • Options
    Think I’d have Euell over Jackson and curbs as his mentor.
     love  Jackson but think Euell seems to have more input to the players from the bench. 
  • Options
    No way … very short memories of his last 12/18 months in charge 
     I remember that period. I'm not going to gloss over what i felt and what i believe a number of other people felt but for some reason never admit. We were poor for a top division side in the last season or two. Mainly in the last third of the season which annoyed me. 

I was one who thought Curbs and the lack of ambition was holding us back, how wrong was i, but i still think that it was right for him to leave but it would of been nice if the chairman/club gave him the money that they had in reserve rather than waiting for when he left and giving it to the next manager. 

we had a poor premiership standard side that curbs had left us and then the powers that be had no idea who to give the job to even though they had prior warning from Curbs about his departure.
    That shows how inexperienced they were when handling a club in the top flight. They were so used to Curbs that they had no idea what to do after he left. They should of already had a candidate ready. One that even Curbs agreed with to take over. Though i got a feeling they would never of asked Curbs his opinion as Murray wasn't happy that Curbs was getting all the plaudits for making Charlton an established side in the top flight and not him.(that is from rumours i've heard. Ego is a hell of a thing)

Going back to the squad that he left it was obvious they would struggle. Only a very good manager and a couple of experienced and talented signings would of kept us up and probably pushed us up the league to those heights that i felt we could reach. 

Unfortunately that wasn't to be and after much vetting and interviews the man to come out of it all was Dowie. Which Murray seem to appoint just because it would annoy his old adversary Simon Jordan. We even had to pay a settlement out of court for Dowie. Is Murray still at the club?! ffs. 

Tbf fair to the board at that time it didn't seem to be many British managers about. Maybe there could of been a foreign one, i don't know but then again i wasn't a chairman of an established premiership side at the time to bother to look. 

Anyway, that was then but I agree that people seem to forget that there was shouts of frustration and booing at the teams performances. The only thing is they were not all calling for Curbs to get the chop and they were no where near as vociferous. 

With how things are at the moment, worst league position in our history, I would have him back. The repressed passion that you could see after the Bolton game that he had is why i would have him back. He cares. Probably as much as any of us. Though i doubt if he would want the job so this discussion is pretty pointless. Much like my opinions.