Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lincoln City vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 16th October 2021 | Match Preview

Lincoln City vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 16th October 2021 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: David Webb

Introduction
You have to hate International breaks in some respect dont you?

We're all aware of our poor start to the season, yet back in September things started to look as though they might be clicking when we finally achieved our first league win with a 2-0 victory over Crewe Alexandra, before beating Crawley Town in the EFL Trophy, unfortunately we all know what happened next, our form was stalled by the break and we had to witness that defeat at the hands of Cheltenham Town - Fast forward a month and we could well be thinking its a case of deja vu... We finally won our second game of the season, coming in the North West at Fleetwood Town, before again, comfortably beating Southampton U21s in the EFL Trophy.

We return to League action this Saturday, the Addicks travel North once more to face Lincoln City.

We all hope for an Imp-ressive display once again for the travelling faithful.

The Opposition
Name: Lincoln City (17th) | Manager: Michael Appleton
Ground: Sincil Bank
Previous Meeting: Charlton Athletic 3-1 Lincoln City

As we witnessed with Shrewsbury Town a few years ago, many teams at this level can throw a spanner in the works and surprise all by challenging at the end of the table where they're not quite expected to - Last saw we saw Lincoln using the loan market to great effect by bringing in the likes of Brennan Johnson (Nottingham Forest) and Morgan Rogers (Manchester City) to get amongst the heavyweights in this Division. Michael Appleton and his men coming within 90minutes of the Championship, a level they've not been at since 1960; Blackpool though were unstoppable in 2021 and deserved their win at Wembley.

This season and things havent gone quite right from the very beginning; Michael Appleton was diagnosed with cancer (although has since had a successful operation), whilst star names such as Jorge Grant and Tayo Edun have at least made the jump to the second tier themselves... Results have been inconsistent, and a win for the Addicks this coming Saturday will see us drawing level on points with the Imps.

Transfer business itself was steady for our opponents this summer, six players out, six players in, including the experienced Chris Maguire (signed on a free transfer from Sunderland) - Loans have been brought in too; Josh Griffiths the standout, and another promising young Goalkeeper from West Bromwich Albion.

Charlton Team News
Given there has been an International break with Charlton players off either in Europe or Asia, we have to presume that all have returned with a clean bill of health. As a result the squad line-up could remain a challenging decision for Nigel Adkins this weekend, does he stick with exactly the same team that defeated Fleetwood Town last time out, or does he replace those who will have been away.

If the latter is the case then we'd surely expect to see the likes of Adam Matthews (in for Chris Gunter) and Ben Watson (in for Harry Arter) - We could also see Jayden Stockley back in the line up, fresh from scoring twice against Southampton U21s in the EFL Trophy.

MacGillivray
Matthews - Lavelle - Famewo - Purrington
Watson - Gilbey
Lee
Leko - Stockley - Kirk

Substitutes Bench: Henderson - Pearce - Souare - Morgan - Clare - Davison - Blackett-Taylor

Prediction
There have of course been many calls for Nigel Adkins to depart, yet the challenge in front of him is simple... Win games and those calls will no doubt become quieter and quieter, after all Football fans have always primarily been a fickle group - The defeat against Bolton was frustrating given the scoreline, but we've seen from that game (and the Fleetwood one that followed), that there are signs of this team clicking - With a lot of Football to be played we shouldnt give up on any hopes of the Play-Off, but to truly achieve that we need to start having a settled squad with minimal changes each week where possible.

Comments

• Pedro45 said:
    What, no Davison?
    Cheers knew I'd forget someone
  • Matthews or Gunter isn't a big deal but surely Arter can do an hour! 
  • Same team , same score as at Fleetwood. 
  • Arter played 2 minutes in Dublin last night, so should be fine.
  • Why would Watson come in rather than Clare?
  • Leuth said:
    Why would Watson come in rather than Clare?
    Because thats what Adkins has been doing?
  • Great preview as usual FA. 
    I'm going to this so I'm hoping for a decent performance and three points. 
    If we are serious about climbing this league and challenging the top six then we have to keep winning. 
    No more excuses. Just win.
  • Cant see CBT not starting after a prolonged rest. Think Davison may start aswell. 

Strangely confident about this one but looking forward to it all the same!

1-0 Charlton - CBT for his first in Charlton shirt.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2021
    Mathews has shown he’s physically incapable of defending a winger who likes to cut inside. 

If they have a right footer on the left then he should be left at home. 
  • Needs his best team out there so surely not Watson. Arter should start. Tough on Davison to be dropped but hoping Stockley can continue his goal scoring form
  • edited October 2021

MacGillivray
    Watson - Gilbey
    Lee
    Leko - Stockley - Kirk

Substitutes Bench: Henderson - Pearce - Souare - Morgan - Clare - Davison - Blackett-Taylor

Prediction
    There have of course been many calls for Nigel Adkins to depart, yet the challenge in front of him is simple... Win games and those calls will no doubt become quieter and quieter, after all Football fans have always primarily been a fickle group - The defeat against Bolton was frustrating given the scoreline, but we've seen from that game (and the Fleetwood one that followed), that there are signs of this team clicking - With a lot of Football to be played we shouldnt give up on any hopes of the Play-Off, but to truly achieve that we need to start having a settled squad with minimal changes each week where possible.
    Lovely to have you back. 

My prediction is a 2-0 win with Nigel putting out the following side, which will be ridiculed:

MacGillivray
    Matthews - Lavelle - Famewo - Souare
    Clare - Arter - Gilbey
    Lee - Stockley - B.Taylor

Subs: Hendo, Pearcey, Purrington, Watson, Leko, Davison, Washington
  • edited October 2021

Introduction

We're all aware of our poor start to the season, yet back in September things started to look as though they might be clicking when we finally achieved our first league win with a 2-0 victory over Crewe Alexandra, before beating Crawley Town in the EFL Trophy, unfortunately we all know what happened next, our form was stalled by the break and we had to witness that defeat at the hands of Cheltenham Town - Fast forward a month and we could well be thinking its a case of deja vu... We finally won our second game of the season, coming in the North West at Fleetwood Town, before again, comfortably beating Southampton U21s in the EFL Trophy.

We return to League action this Saturday, the Addicks travel North once more to face Lincoln City.

The Opposition

As we witnessed with Shrewsbury Town a few years ago, many teams at this level can throw a spanner in the works and surprise all by challenging at the end of the table where they're not quite expected to - Last saw we saw Lincoln using the loan market to great effect by bringing in the likes of Brennan Johnson (Nottingham Forest) and Morgan Rogers (Manchester City) to get amongst the heavyweights in this Division. Michael Appleton and his men coming within 90minutes of the Championship, a level they've not been at since 1960; Blackpool though were unstoppable in 2021 and deserved their win at Wembley.

This season and things havent gone quite right from the very beginning; Michael Appleton was diagnosed with cancer (although has since had a successful operation), whilst star names such as Jorge Grant and Tayo Edun have at least made the jump to the second tier themselves... Results have been inconsistent, and a win for the Addicks this coming Saturday will see us drawing level on points with the Imps.

Transfer business itself was steady for our opponents this summer, six players out, six players in, including the experienced Chris Maguire (signed on a free transfer from Sunderland) - Loans have been brought in too; Josh Griffiths the standout, and another promising young Goalkeeper from West Bromwich Albion.

Charlton Team News
    Given there has been an International break with Charlton players off either in Europe or Asia, we have to presume that all have returned with a clean bill of health. As a result the squad line-up could remain a challenging decision for Nigel Adkins this weekend, does he stick with exactly the same team that defeated Fleetwood Town last time out, or does he replace those who will have been away.

If the latter is the case then we'd surely expect to see the likes of Adam Matthews (in for Chris Gunter) and Ben Watson (in for Harry Arter) - We could also see Jayden Stockley back in the line up, fresh from scoring twice against Southampton U21s in the EFL Trophy.

MacGillivray
    Watson - Gilbey
    Lee
    Leko - Stockley - Kirk

Prediction
    What have you seen in Kirk that would make you play him in front or CBT or Davison, or Washington for that matter? Even DJ was more effective (marginally) than Kirk in the cup match lst week. He cannot beat a man, is not fast, cannot score and does not track back. Anyone?
  • The team, who knows.

The result, Lincoln 2 Charlton 1

International breaks, hate them.
  • Southbank said:

Introduction

The Opposition

Charlton Team News

MacGillivray
    Watson - Gilbey
    Lee
    Leko - Stockley - Kirk

Prediction
    What have you seen in Kirk that would make you play him in front or CBT or Davison, or Washington for that matter? Even DJ was more effective (marginally) than Kirk in the cup match lst week. He cannot beat a man, is not fast, cannot score and does not track back. Anyone?
    I'm not playing him in front of others, thats not my squad but the one I think Adkins will go for...

Davison wont start ahead of Kirk he's not a wide player

I also think that minimal changes will be made from the Fleetwood game with only those away on International Duty not starting (because they've not been part of pre-Lincoln preparations for long enough), hence why Kirk starts again.

My squad would be the exact same as the one that started against Fleetwood... think the likes of Kirk need a chance to put a run of games together, we need consistency with results and that comes from having a settled team.
  • Can't guess the team yet as we have to wait for the official preview to tell us who is going to be missing (usually someone has got injured in training.....and for once they wont be saying its Ronnie boy 😄).  But the team you suggest @ForeverAddickted screams "long ball".  
  • Leuth said:
    Why would Watson come in rather than Clare?
    Clare is so not your type of player ! Granted I prefer him to Watson too.  
  • Can't guess the team yet as we have to wait for the official preview to tell us who is going to be missing (usually someone has got injured in training.....and for once they wont be saying its Ronnie boy 😄).  But the team you suggest @ForeverAddickted screams "long ball".  
    Have you actually seen a proper long ball team in the last 20 years?  I went to a nonleague game at the weekend and that was proper long ball stuff. 

As in they set up to do it and were very good at it.  The team was obviously put together to play it.  Even big Sam, big Mick and not so big Tony's teams didn't really play long ball.

Long ball and hoof ball have just become an anology for being a bit shit.  I have never seen a Charlton team set up to play like that, I have seen 100s of Charlton teams default to it through lack of confidence and ability though.  Under every manager in my life time. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Can't guess the team yet as we have to wait for the official preview to tell us who is going to be missing (usually someone has got injured in training.....and for once they wont be saying its Ronnie boy 😄).  But the team you suggest @ForeverAddickted screams "long ball".  
    Have you actually seen a proper long ball team in the last 20 years?  I went to a nonleague game at the weekend and that was proper long ball stuff. 

As in they set up to do it and were very good at it.  The team was obviously put together to play it.  Even big Sam, big Mick and not so big Tony's teams didn't really play long ball.

Long ball and hoof ball have just become an anology for being a bit shit.  I have never seen a Charlton team set up to play like that, I have seen 100s of Charlton teams default to it through lack of confidence and ability though.  Under every manager in my life time. 
    I think you have answered your own question. We are lacking in confidence and ability hence the hoof ball up to Stockley completely by-passing the midfield.
  • Sponsored links:

• Win this and we've started to come good. Lose and it's set the scene for the rest of the season. Lincoln are good opposition and expect them to be solid mid table.
  • edited October 2021
    Have we even hoofed it in the last few games?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Can't guess the team yet as we have to wait for the official preview to tell us who is going to be missing (usually someone has got injured in training.....and for once they wont be saying its Ronnie boy 😄).  But the team you suggest @ForeverAddickted screams "long ball".  

I think you have answered your own question. We are lacking in confidence and ability hence the hoof ball up to Stockley completely by-passing the midfield.
    I think you have re-enforced my point. 
  • If we lose this, we ought to question whether it is a good idea not playing through international breaks. It never seems to do us any favours. Well it hasn't up to now!
  • Chunes said:
    Have we even hoofed it in the last few games?
    If people are being honest we didn't hoof it in most of the games to start with either.  The MK Dons is a classic example of the genre, it started as some long passes to Stockley. 

As the midfield, especially Dobson, crumbled before our eyes it started to become long balls in the general direction of Stockley then became wild hacks and hope for the best. 
  • Kick in the nuts?

Or

Not kick in the nuts?

1-1
  • Sage said:
    Good preview mate.

Lincoln have an extremely dynamic and flexible front 3. Scully has 11 so far this season, Adelakun is unpredictable can play across the front 3, and Maguire is a good signing at this level.

I don’t want Matthews starting here as Scully will cut in on his right all the time and you’ll have runners off him. It may be something they have debriefed and worked on, but history tells us that Scully will have much joy on Saturday.

It’s a big game where we need to continue momentum from before and 3 points gets us level with Lincoln so we either are climbing the league or dragging others into our position, whatever way you want to look at it.

MacGillivray
    Gunter Lavelle Famewo Souare
    Arter Gilbey
    Leko Lee Kirk
    Stockley

Henderson, Pearce, Purrington, Clare, Blackett-Taylor, Washington, Davison

Lincoln 1-2 Charlton
    Kirk
    Lee
    That's the team I think he will play, I think. 

What does Scully have 11 of? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:
    Good preview mate.

Lincoln have an extremely dynamic and flexible front 3. Scully has 11 so far this season, Adelakun is unpredictable can play across the front 3, and Maguire is a good signing at this level.

I don’t want Matthews starting here as Scully will cut in on his right all the time and you’ll have runners off him. It may be something they have debriefed and worked on, but history tells us that Scully will have much joy on Saturday.

It’s a big game where we need to continue momentum from before and 3 points gets us level with Lincoln so we either are climbing the league or dragging others into our position, whatever way you want to look at it.

MacGillivray
    Gunter Lavelle Famewo Souare
    Arter Gilbey
    Leko Lee Kirk
    Stockley

Henderson, Pearce, Purrington, Clare, Blackett-Taylor, Washington, Davison

Lincoln 1-2 Charlton
    Kirk
    Lee
    That's the team I think he will play, I think. 

What does Scully have 11 of? 
    Goals. 11 goals in 15 games in all competitions.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!