Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lincoln City vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 16th October 2021 | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Feeling quite confident about this one.

Normally I'd suggest bringing in Dobson for either Gilbey or Lee (probably Lee and push Gilbey forward a bit) to protect the defence a bit more against a decent attack, but in the circumstances of our season I think unchanged from Fleetwood is the way to go.
    What is this notion that Gilbey offers more than Lee going forward? It's demonstrably untrue

Can you point me to where I said that?
    You implied that Gilbey was preferable to Lee in an attacking midfield role!
    Gilbey as the advanced midfielder does offer more defensive protection than Lee though

When you play Lee, you're affective going with 4 out and out attacking players, which can leave us a bit vulnerable to the counter attack
    We have two defensive midfielders, four defenders and wingers who track back. Can't we spare a spot for a player who affects our own attacking effectiveness? Picking players based on how well they defend is what ruined Bowyer. 
  • Options
    Like, Gilbey runs around a lot, sure, but between him and Lee, which one is going to cause us to create more chances? Come on
  • Options
    The trouble with having this many midfielders is there are too many to row about lol
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

Normally I'd suggest bringing in Dobson for either Gilbey or Lee (probably Lee and push Gilbey forward a bit) to protect the defence a bit more against a decent attack, but in the circumstances of our season I think unchanged from Fleetwood is the way to go.
    What is this notion that Gilbey offers more than Lee going forward? It's demonstrably untrue

Gilbey as the advanced midfielder does offer more defensive protection than Lee though

When you play Lee, you're affective going with 4 out and out attacking players, which can leave us a bit vulnerable to the counter attack
    We have two defensive midfielders, four defenders and wingers who track back. Can't we spare a spot for a player who affects our own attacking effectiveness? Picking players based on how well they defend is what ruined Bowyer. 
    None of our wingers are that good at tracking back though
  • Options
    I'd be far happier with Gilbey as one of the 2 more defensive midfielders and I think that's the only way he really fits in
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

None of our wingers are that good at tracking back though
    They try.

At some point your wingers are simply in the team to create chances and score goals, and should be encouraged to focus on that (and, y'know, track back a bit)
  • Options
    Lincoln will be difficult to beat. Not feeling confident we will be able to maintain our unbeaten run.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

I don't imply anything I said I'd pick Gilbey to for the purpose of offering the defence more protection. Gilbey is a more rounded midfielder who will go box to box. With Gilbey as the most advanced midfielder it'd be more of a 433 with Lee it'd be more a 4231.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

I don't imply anything I said I'd pick Gilbey to for the purpose of offering the defence more protection. Gilbey is a more rounded midfielder who will go box to box. With Gilbey as the most advanced midfielder it'd be more of a 433 with Lee it'd be more a 4231.
    Indeed at times that 4231, with the wingers very advances and Lee alongside the striker can easily look more like a 424
  • Options
    Jesus. What is it about this club & secrecy. 1 fecking player has a slight knock & NA doesn't want to name him. 

Gah....I'm done.

6-0 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Little surprised that people arent looking for CBT to start. Surely you play your in form players from the get go? 
    CBT to me is an impact player and no more, he looked great coming off the bench but when he starts he struggles.

Start with Leko and Kirk and have CBT coming in for Kirk around 60/65 minutes 

DJ im sorry but shouldn't be anywhere near the team, was appalling against a Southampton youth team can understand why Adkins isnt picking him
    I thought DJ was poor, but still marginally better than Kirk.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Can't guess the team yet as we have to wait for the official preview to tell us who is going to be missing (usually someone has got injured in training.....and for once they wont be saying its Ronnie boy 😄).  But the team you suggest @ForeverAddickted screams "long ball".  
    Have you actually seen a proper long ball team in the last 20 years?  I went to a nonleague game at the weekend and that was proper long ball stuff. 

As in they set up to do it and were very good at it.  The team was obviously put together to play it.  Even big Sam, big Mick and not so big Tony's teams didn't really play long ball.

Long ball and hoof ball have just become an anology for being a bit shit.  I have never seen a Charlton team set up to play like that, I have seen 100s of Charlton teams default to it through lack of confidence and ability though.  Under every manager in my life time. 
    Cambridge in the 90's were a very good long ball team. They could pass a ball from the back long, right to the opposition penalty area and bring it down with the midfield pressing and play on the ground around the area of the opponents. 
    Indeed they had a unique "kick into the corners" style of play, with the grass grown extra long there to stop the ball rolling out of play!
  • Options
    Jesus. What is it about this club & secrecy. 1 fecking player has a slight knock & NA doesn't want to name him. 

Gah....I'm done.

6-0 
    sometimes you don't do yourself any favours do you? Why would you want him to come out and say, for example, that Lavelle is doubtful? The other side will have done all their work around him playing and all you'd do is give them a chance to work Pearce into the scenario and be prepared for that if Lavelle was unfit. If someone has a knock and misses the game Adkins will be asked afterwards and can answer then. 
  • Options

Gah....I'm done.

6-0 
    Letting the opposition know which player they should kick is never a good idea.

If there left sided forward likes to cut in, maybe we should play Purrington at right back? I think I would.
  • Options
    would be an absolute meltdown if Purrington appeared at RB tomorrow.

just get the RB to defend properly!
  • Options
    would be an absolute meltdown if Purrington appeared at RB tomorrow.

just get the RB to defend properly!
    Good plan, but the number of goals last season and this by players cutting in and scoring is shocking. 

They have a player who has scored 11 goals this season and loves cutting in. If you don’t want Purrington I would strongly suggest we play both Mathews and Gunter and see if together they can manage to do a proper job.
  • Options

Gah....I'm done.

6-0 
    sometimes you don't do yourself any favours do you? Why would you want him to come out and say, for example, that Lavelle is doubtful? The other side will have done all their work around him playing and all you'd do is give them a chance to work Pearce into the scenario and be prepared for that if Lavelle was unfit. If someone has a knock and misses the game Adkins will be asked afterwards and can answer then. 
    Adkins has made 23 changes in 4 matches......I doubt ANYONE can 100% predict what 11 players he is putting out tomorrow, so saying that CBT (or whoever) has a slight knock is very unlikely going to change an oppositions game plan. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ross1 said:
    No Kirk  !

So he's the missing player.

Fancy our own comms team giving away team selection 24 hours before a game.

Sack them all.

(See what I did there)
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Yeh, thanks for the posing boys...

NOW PUT A FUCKING SHIFT IN!

• Options
    For those who follow the matchday thread, I am sorry, but I will not be contributing on this game. I know there will plenty of others who will. The first clean sheet for us for a long while, 2-0
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    For those who follow the matchday thread, I am sorry, but I will not be contributing on this game. I know there will plenty of others who will. The first clean sheet for us for a long while, 2-0
    Incoming - a clean sheet win!
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Incoming - a clean sheet win!
    No chance... Incoming

• Options
    ross1 said:
    28th August or 9 games ago (all comps)
  • Options
    Taking 1400 to Lincoln shows what our support could be or maybe we just have a lot of first time at Lincoln new groundies. Either way they deserve a good performance. I fear thw same old same old this season. Davison sticks out and he looks good. Not much else though to get excited about. 1-1 and he still keeps his job.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!