Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Real ale to be available in the Fans' Bar on matchdays

Comments

• Options
    They might get a few 20 litre polypins in initially in order to keep things simple.

I’ve also never understood why they don’t do a bit of pre-pouring of lager and keg bitter at full-time in order to speed things up.
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    They might get a few 20 litre polypins in initially in order to keep things simple.

I’ve also never understood why they don’t do a bit of pre-pouring of lager and keg bitter at full-time in order to speed things up.
    They did.  I immediately handed it back as it had gone flat.
  • Options
    If it's just in one location you don't need to clean any pipes and there's absolutely no worry about pouring it slowly. Has no-one ever been to a beer festival and had it poured straight from the barrel?
  • Options
    Well done to the club for making the change - and to the brewer that we elected to the CAST Board. I knew he’d come good !
  • Options
    They can't serve keg properly big feck coming me thinks.....
  • Options
    Happy with this. Happy with everything apart from the 90 mins on a match day really.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    If it's just in one location you don't need to clean any pipes and there's absolutely no worry about pouring it slowly. Has no-one ever been to a beer festival and had it poured straight from the barrel?
    Apparently it’s rocket science 🧪 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Belv said:
    Will be a disaster.

It will still be served by the same people who don't know the difference between Fosters and John Smiths or stare at you blankly when asking for a pie.
    100%, there must some requirement to be as thick as shit to work behind the bars at The Valley because no amount of bad luck would enable a business to recruit that many dummies.
  • Options
    Another thing mentioned at the meeting I was at (no brewers there that I recall - I did work in a micro pub for a while tho :) ) was the staffing quality levels. The club representative TK immediately insisted that regular staffing was maintained and would pay the difference if needed.

I think real ale might do better in the East stand though, but at least the fans bar is improving. Not sure how busy it normally is?
  • Options
    razil said:
    Another thing mentioned at the meeting I was at (no brewers there that I recall - I did work in a micro pub for a while tho :) ) was the staffing quality levels. The club representative TK immediately insisted that regular staffing was maintained and would pay the difference if needed.

I think real ale might do better in the East stand though, but at least the fans bar is improving. Not sure how busy it normally is?
    It might help if they train the bar staff though.
    One of them didn't know what a shandy was.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    razil said:

I remember a couple of years ago, someone on a portable dispenser stand behind the East Stand didn't know what Bovril was!
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    razil said:

I remember a couple of years ago, someone on a portable dispenser stand behind the East Stand didn't know what Bovril was!
    It’s a refreshing cold drink 
  • Options
    razil said:

He has been with the club for 6 years and only now when after supporter requests this is being actioned and/or is seen as an issue 
  • Options
    Belv said:
    Will be a disaster.

It will still be served by the same people who don't know the difference between Fosters and John Smiths or stare at you blankly when asking for a pie.
    In my case that would be absolutely true.
    I don’t drink beer at all and never have……I have an exceptionally sweet tooth.
    However, I very much appreciate seeing real ale sold wherever it is……..it’s traditional and a great piece of our drinking culture and heritage.
    I particularly like going into Camara rated pubs and viewing the selection of real ale pumps……just wish I could enjoy a pint here and there but sadly it’s not for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Belv said:
    Will be a disaster.

However, I very much appreciate seeing real ale sold wherever it is……..it’s traditional and a great piece of our drinking culture and heritage.
    I particularly like going into Camara rated pubs and viewing the selection of real ale pumps……just wish I could enjoy a pint here and there but sadly it’s not for me.
    What’s your tipple then mate Emva Cream? Had that sherry ‘on arrival’ at my wedding reception, if not give it a try 😉.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Belv said:
    Will be a disaster.

What’s your tipple then mate Emva Cream? Had that sherry ‘on arrival’ at my wedding reception, if not give it a try 😉.
    All sorts to be honest.
    I do enjoy a chilled Erdinger now and again and keep a bottle or three in the fridge…..though draught is much nicer of course.
    I’m a bit of a Del Boy when it comes to alcohol and can switch from wine to various exotic shorts at the drop of a hat.
    I used to be out on the lash quite a bit in my day but rarely visit pubs nowadays and usually like to just buy my own as I drink so little anyway due to various medications I am taking. Also, what I do have can be pretty expensive, so I get somewhat embarrassed being bought drinks by others.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    clb74 said:
    razil said:

They really should know. And then they can throw the shandy drinking palace wrong’un out of the ground 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    razil said:

Similar at Kempton last Sunday. Couple of years ago we were there and ordered a shandy, barmaid brings back a bottle of red berry cider and says is this it?
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    clb74 said:
    razil said:

Similar at Kempton last Sunday. Couple of years ago we were there and ordered a shandy, barmaid brings back a bottle of red berry cider and says is this it?
    Think I’d have said ‘Haven’t heard of that one, let me try it’ then drunk as much as I could without coming up for air given it back and said
    ’Nah that’s cider’ 😈.
  • Options
    better not be refrigerated. Lost count of the amount of times i've wandered in to a london pub, ordered a pint of harveys, excited that they have it, only for it to be cold. Room temp only please.
  • Options
    I once asked for an Orange squash for my daughter and got a glass......of neat squash undiluted 
    I think I have mentioned it on here before however I was stood behind a bloke in the West Stand who ordered pie mash & gravy, when the girl returned she passed it to him and when he looked the pie was still in the wrapper and she had poured the gravy over the top.

He complained, she did not have a scooby how to deal with it, so she went and got a supervisor and the first words the supervisor said was "I am not sure what the problem is sir"

By this time there was quite an audience anticipating the outcome and when the super said those words we all fell about laughing.

The staff still gave the bloke blank looks so maybe they enjoy a pie still wrapped in plastic?
    Sorry Mike , I would have to see photographic evidence of that.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    I once asked for an Orange squash for my daughter and got a glass......of neat squash undiluted 
    I think I have mentioned it on here before however I was stood behind a bloke in the West Stand who ordered pie mash & gravy, when the girl returned she passed it to him and when he looked the pie was still in the wrapper and she had poured the gravy over the top.

He complained, she did not have a scooby how to deal with it, so she went and got a supervisor and the first words the supervisor said was "I am not sure what the problem is sir"

By this time there was quite an audience anticipating the outcome and when the super said those words we all fell about laughing.

The staff still gave the bloke blank looks so maybe they enjoy a pie still wrapped in plastic?
    Sorry Mike , I would have to see photographic evidence of that.
    I wish I had some, it would certainly cheer me up on a bad day. It was priceless.