Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Real ale to be available in the Fans' Bar on matchdays

Comments

• Options
    clb74 said:
    I once asked for an Orange squash for my daughter and got a glass......of neat squash undiluted 
    I think I have mentioned it on here before however I was stood behind a bloke in the West Stand who ordered pie mash & gravy, when the girl returned she passed it to him and when he looked the pie was still in the wrapper and she had poured the gravy over the top.

He complained, she did not have a scooby how to deal with it, so she went and got a supervisor and the first words the supervisor said was "I am not sure what the problem is sir"

By this time there was quite an audience anticipating the outcome and when the super said those words we all fell about laughing.

The staff still gave the bloke blank looks so maybe they enjoy a pie still wrapped in plastic?
    Sorry Mike , I would have to see photographic evidence of that.
    I wish I had some, it would certainly cheer me up on a bad day. It was priceless.
    As I said in an earlier post
    It's down to the training they receive.🤣
  • Options
    better not be refrigerated. Lost count of the amount of times i've wandered in to a london pub, ordered a pint of harveys, excited that they have it, only for it to be cold. Room temp only please.
    Ale should be served at cellar temperature, 11 to 13 degrees C.

They chill lager down to fridge temperature 4 C degrees.
    Why? Apparently, the colder the drink, the less you can actually taste it.

If you don't believe me, try drinking room temperature lager :smile:
    :

• Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    razil said:
    Another thing mentioned at the meeting I was at (no brewers there that I recall - I did work in a micro pub for a while tho :) ) was the staffing quality levels. The club representative TK immediately insisted that regular staffing was maintained and would pay the difference if needed.

I think real ale might do better in the East stand though, but at least the fans bar is improving. Not sure how busy it normally is?
    He has been with the club for 6 years and only now when after supporter requests this is being actioned and/or is seen as an issue 
    I must admit I was quite surprised by it. I guess an organisation is only as good as its leadership eh. A pretty big steer has come from on high it would appear/we assume regarding the match day experience.
  • Options
    Room temperature is a floating variable. It is said, I don’t know if it’s true, that the correct room temperature for red wine is not what we now consider room temp to be. But actually quite a few degrees less. 
    Central heating has fucked up what room temperature is thought to be.
  • Options
    ''Real ale will be available in the fans bar'
    I would much prefer decent football available on the pitch!
    Seen none really this season.
  • Options
    Has it made me change my mind about going tonight? Errr no.

I do often meet a friend in there and last time had a bottle of London Pride rather than dreadful Fosters or John Smiths so for me it's a good move, provided they know how to keep it.
  • Options
    That's the idea, the football will drive you to drinkl.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    better not be refrigerated. Lost count of the amount of times i've wandered in to a london pub, ordered a pint of harveys, excited that they have it, only for it to be cold. Room temp only please.
    Ale should be served at cellar temperature, 11 to 13 degrees C.

They chill lager down to fridge temperature 4 C degrees.
    Why? Apparently, the colder the drink, the less you can actually taste it.

If you don't believe me, try drinking room temperature lager :smile:
    :

Indeed - warm lager tastes just as shit as ale.
    "corr bit of a chilly saturday, nice to be back in the warm, I know what i'll order, an ice cold drink!"
  • Options
    Got this thread bookmarked ready to read post match. Expecting some corkers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Someone I know ordered a glass of wine and the staff member picked up a pint glass before they were stopped by the customer. 
  • Options
    Belv said:
    Will be a disaster.

It will still be served by the same people who don't know the difference between Fosters and John Smiths or stare at you blankly when asking for a pie.
    100%, there must some requirement to be as thick as shit to work behind the bars at The Valley because no amount of bad luck would enable a business to recruit that many dummies.
    Before the Cheltenham game I was in crossbars and asked for a Fosters top for my father. The young girl poured out a pint of Fosters, when I said I asked for a top she poured half the pint down the drain then filled it up again to within half inch from the top then opened a can of lemonade and put about a thimble full in.
  • Options
    Managed to bulls up the order now for halftime thing, was supposed to start tonight but apparently the staff havent been giving the relevant paper so it cant start tonight 
  • Options
    This thread makes me weep at the utter shambles the club is. 
  • Options
    Managed to bulls up the order now for halftime thing, was supposed to start tonight but apparently the staff havent been giving the relevant paper so it cant start tonight 

• Options
    Popped in after tonight’s game but the Real Ale of the day, Timothy Taylor Landlord, had run out. They had, perhaps understandably, been cautious about taking only a barrel (or two ?) but will hopefully increase that once they’re confident about the level of demand.

At least there was the consolation of a couple of pints of Murphy’s, to listen to Curbs et al (albeit behind the telly where you can actually hear what’s being said) and to personally wave farewell to Nigel Adkins 
  • Options
    Are they going to rename it The Gloom and Doom Bar
  • Options
    There is a concession area in the East called ‘The Bar’.

Its the only concession area that doesn’t sell alcohol…
  • Options

It sells everything 'bar' alcohol. Seems logical to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2021
    The problem with real ale is its storage and life in a barrel or cask. I prefer real ale, cask or barrel . However bottles are a genuine option. John Smith's and Fosters are not proper beers or in my view remotely drinkable. And at £5 a wack people paying that for it should be 8n the funny farm.
    This! If you shop around you can get a decent bottle of Hobgoblin at retail prices for £1.25. They could easily stock up on those. I'd far rather have 500ml of something drinkable than a pint of chemical effluent.
  • Options

Alcohol is barred...
  • Options
    You won't see Oisin Murphy in there then?
  • Options
    Even if they stocked Bishop's Finger and let me drink it for free I couldn't be tempted back if it meant watching Adkins's complacent dross
  • Options
    Did they stop that experiment, as in the Fan's bar yesterday I didn't see any Real Ale. Indeed, it took me ages to find something half drinkable, Murphy's

A LOT of staff on duty there, indeed an excessive amount really, especially down the far end from the entrance, though someone greeted me with "enjoy the match" as I left, which was nice.
  • Options
    Did they stop that experiment, as in the Fan's bar yesterday I didn't see any Real Ale. Indeed, it took me ages to find something half drinkable, Murphy's

A LOT of staff on duty there, indeed an excessive amount really, especially down the far end from the entrance, though someone greeted me with "enjoy the match" as I left, which was nice.
    They have Deuchars IPA in bottles, which is a passable pint.

Edit: you'll probably need to ask for it by name, the bar staff are fairly clueless. The girl who served me asked if I wanted ice in it, presumably she thought it was a cider?

I had a couple of bottles of it yesterday in the fans bar.

Decent IPA I thought 
  • Options

Edit: you'll probably need to ask for it by name, the bar staff are fairly clueless. The girl who served me asked if I wanted ice in it, presumably she thought it was a cider?

had the same when i asked for a bottled ale years back. my dad was gonna ask for a red wine but realised probably not after he saw they had stuck the red wine bottles in the fridge. 
  • Options

had the same when i asked for a bottled ale years back. my dad was gonna ask for a red wine but realised probably not after he saw they had stuck the red wine bottles in the fridge. 
    I once had one of those little bottles of Charlton red from the Curbs Stand bars. Never again...