Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Now the dust has settled a bit ....

Comments

• Options
    TBH shouting abuse at Harry Pell was the best bit about last night. Proper panto villain. All of our yellows came for fouls on him. Clare was doing it so often I thought he'd end up with a red. 
  • Options
    I don't think anyone is blaming the player....the fault clearly lies with the person throwing the bottle and they should be dealt with accordingly.

People are making the point that if you do celebrate like that in from of home fans - then you (unfortunately) shouldn't be too surprised if someone chucks something at you.
  • Options
    Not advocating for throwing stuff at opposition players, to be clear.

But what the fuck did the Accrington players expect, giving it the large one to a set of fans they knew were already furious.  

Two sets of bellends here if you ask me.
    . I will never stop being amazed at how offended football fans get when after upwards of 90 minutes of abusing someone that same person turns around and laughs at them. It's incredible.
    I would wager that 90% of us at The Valley never abuse any of the opposition, maybe 'ffs referee' and that sort of thing. So throwing things at the players is obviously wrong but also goading the oppo fans is also wrong imo.
  • Options

But what the fuck did the Accrington players expect, giving it the large one to a set of fans they knew were already furious.  

Not to be assaulted, presumably. It's not like he's wading into the stands dishing out right hooks is it? In that case, sure, chuck your bottle at him, give back what you get. The fans give players grief from the stands, the player scores and gives a bit back. The next stage in that process isn't 'try and smash him in the face with something'. I will never stop being amazed at how offended football fans get when after upwards of 90 minutes of abusing someone that same person turns around and laughs at them. It's incredible.
    Then he’s naive if he didn’t expect an overreaction from the crowd.

Goading an already toxic crowd was never going to be met with laughs and giggles was it.  

And again, because I feel I’m about to be pigeon holed as someone who supports throwing things.  There are two massive bellends here;

The thrower of the object.
    Harry Pell.
  • Options

. I will never stop being amazed at how offended football fans get when after upwards of 90 minutes of abusing someone that same person turns around and laughs at them. It's incredible.
    I would wager that 90% of us at The Valley never abuse any of the opposition, maybe 'ffs referee' and that sort of thing. So throwing things at the players is obviously wrong but also goading the oppo fans is also wrong imo.
    Er, I don't think I've ever been to a football match where someone around me hasn't been abusing an opposition player, it's definitely more than 10% of the people there. Which is fine to be honest, as long as it's not crossing a line into racist, homophobic or overly personal abuse etc football fans are there to yell what they want, and if they're happy to do that then they need to be happy to hear a bit back as well. It's about levels of response; footballers are goaded all game, they can goad the opposition fans back a bit. Players goading the fans is not on a level with throwing things at them.
  • Options

Said this when it happened. Unacceptable, but what did he expect?
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Abuse certainly. He can laugh that off.

But a player to be hit by a bottle thrown by a fan? That's assault.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Croydon said:

Not the first time this has happened this season though is it! 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Croydon said:

And we all hope he doesn’t get assaulted.  But why take a chance of assault and not just celebrate with your team mates instead of baiting an already moody crowd?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Croydon said:

How would the fans react if Pell had thrown it back?
  • Options
    should have thrown a pigs head at him
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Croydon said:

But Pell didn't.

• Options
    What do you expect when riling up the home fans? 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Croydon said:

Payet did this is a game in France the other week didn't he?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Croydon said:

But Pell didn't.

No and quite right too... 

My point was more if Pell threw it back and it hit the person who had thrown it in the first place

You can beat they'd have screamed blue murder

Bit like the Nice fans when Payat did it recently, like what Suede was saying
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:

people to not throw things at him?
    Then I'd call him naive
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Pell could have run down to the JS stand and shook the hands of all 127 fans.
  • Options

But what the fuck did the Accrington players expect, giving it the large to a set of fans they knew were already furious.  

Some football fans are so precious. Love to give it out to the opposition and opposition fans all game, and the moment one of them ever comes and gives a little back they throw there toys (or Oasis bottles in this case) out the pram. 

It’s fine to be furious, and I’m all for ‘passion’, it’s part of being a football fan. But there’s literally zero excuse to throw some dangerous projectile out of a stand and at someone on the pitch. Zero.

Fortunately it’s very much the minority that ever do this.
    I’m with you, generally speaking.

What I am saying is Pell is a fuckin bellend as well, and whilst I’m fine with banning orders for fans throwing objects, I feel zero sympathy for Pell.
    Especially as he came through our youth team and was a regular supporter. It seems incredible to me when you get other players who refuse to celebrate against teams for whom they once played. 
    He sounds sensible in that interview but sounds like a w****r otherwise.
  • Options
    Their players provoked fans in the lower covered end when they celebrated like they did for the first goal and must share the responsibility, the Ref should have ushered them away, they stayed for longer than  was needed- I am not condoning missiles being thrown btw
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Croydon said:

And we all hope he doesn’t get assaulted.  But why take a chance of assault and not just celebrate with your team mates instead of baiting an already moody crowd?
    Fans give out abuse all game ........ but can't take a bit of shithousery back?
    Give the player back the verbal abuse he deserves.

But a "chance of assault" shouldn't happen.  Every player on the pitch should be safe from an attack by a fan.

Okay I’m willing to admit perhaps I’m having a sense of humour failure here, we are at the bottom of league one at the moment.  I just think whilst the kid (assuming he was a kid) should get banned.  There is still no need for Pell to do what he did.
  • Options
    In short, perhaps the dust hasn’t settled.
  • Options
    I canot believe it wasn't a thermos flask of Bovril thrown from the east stand, but Imstead an empty energy drink bottle. The fan base is certainly  changing over that side of the ground! 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Chucking anything on the pitch is scum behaviour and everyone culpable needs a lifetime ban.
    No equivocation.
    Any "what does Pell expect, he's a bellend..." makes room for the scum - unacceptable.

The schoolboy responsible in the East Stand is so utterly dim he did it in full view of the linesman.  He then watched said linesman point him out to the referee, who called for the steward.  He'd have got away with it simply by moving seats.
    Good riddance to bad rubbish.  No excuses.

It doesn’t.  There can be more than 1 idiot in this situation is all myself and a few others are saying.