Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Now the dust has settled a bit ....

Comments

• Options
    Their players provoked fans in the lower covered end when they celebrated like they did for the first goal and must share the responsibility, the Ref should have ushered them away, they stayed for longer than  was needed- I am not condoning missiles being thrown btw
    Agreed. Chucking stuff in the pitch at players it not okay and there’s no defence. I also found the way Pell and his teammates celebrated the first goal somewhat unnecessary. I get he has a history with the club but the fans have probably never seen him play let alone have any beef with him. Like you say, they should’ve backed off a bit quicker and it wasn’t just that they celebrated in front of the covered end so much that they celebrated at the fans in the covered end. It doesn’t excuse what happen but it contributed to why it happened and all felt a bit uncalled for. Poor refereeing not to send them away.

Was Pell getting any stick from the crowd before that incident? He comes across ok in the post match interview but when he said he didn’t have any friends in stadium… we’ll… it felt like he kind of made sure of that himself. 
  • Options
    Celebrating in-front of fans is dickhead behaviour, throwing stuff at opposition players is even bigger dickhead (and potentially criminal) behaviour. 

Both are wrong but they aren’t commensurate. 
  • Options
    Throwing stuff on the pitch is utter scumbag mentality & should result in ejection & a ban.

Trying to justify it by saying it was the players fault cos he celebrated in front of the opposition fans is juvenile in the extreme.

If you can’t take that when it happens, I suggest you find something else to watch.
    I agree, but....

the bell ran 40 yards to intentionally goad and celebrate in front of that section. He is someone who knows our club and ground well, he knew exactly what he was doing and what reaction he was seeking to provoke by going to there.

Nothing should ever be thrown at a player and no player should ever be attacked. But there equally needs to be a degree of responsibility and accountability from players too to not create avoidable situations or unnecessarily antagonise. 
    Agree with this, if nothing had been thrown it would still be out if order. I know fans can get a bit precious - for me, if you can't take it back, don't dish it out, but Pell had had no stick from the crowd, and ran 30 yards to wind it up. Boltons first goalscorer did exactly the same. Its shit behaviour, and I felt exactly the same when Taylor did it playing for us.

There's no excuse for the bottle throwing, but everyone's so keen to give anything to do with CAFC a kicking today that they are overlooking what a cynical, nasty outfit Stanley were.
  • Options
    I give out loads and get my fair share back, it's part of the game in my view as long as you don't cross the line. 

Pell and his mates had a pop - big deal, no different to me calling him a see you next Tuesday.

Chucking stuff at them is plain wrong.

Pell diving claiming he had been headbutted was the thing that angered me the most last night (Other than Nigel's game plan that is)
  • Options
    Away players who celebrate in front of home fans are just arseholes, and that includes if our players do it. 

I just think the fans should all turn their backs and collectively do a Mooney.
  • Options
    Fans complaining about players giving it back is always one of the most ridiculous things in football
  • Options
    Pell was given the heave ho by Charlton as a youngster. Whilst I don't condone it I can understand him making the most of scoring against us.
  • Options
    Away players who celebrate in front of home fans are just arseholes, and that includes if our players do it. 

I just think the fans should all turn their backs and collectively do a Mooney.
    I've always felt that the directive to players should be to a) celebrate in front of your own fans if that is possible or b) celebrate away from the goal towards the centre circle. Celebrating in front of opposing fans is unnecessary, provocotive and nobby.  
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Pell was given the heave ho by Charlton as a youngster. Whilst I don't condone it I can understand him making the most of scoring against us.
    He also had a few Charlton mates in the crowd as per his interview
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    He left in 2010, talk about holding a grudge... Little (big) weirdo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I Sit in E block so was pretty close to it going on, I agree they spent far too much time in front of the stand winding us all up whilst the ref happily let it carry on.The launching of a handful of chips by someone was pretty funny, impressive throw to reach as well!
  • Options
    I Sit in E block so was pretty close to it going on, I agree they spent far too much time in front of the stand winding us all up whilst the ref happily let it carry on.The launching of a handful of chips by someone was pretty funny, impressive throw to reach as well!
    Was it only chips that were thrown? 

Is that really what we're discussing here?!
  • Options
    regardless of the rights and wrongs of it all, he was on one last night and after his goading and play acting i really wanted one of our players to go straight through him so he had to be stretchered off - that might be wrong, but that's football- he made himself a big target last night and the fact he never received a proper clump from anybody just about sums our team up at the moment i'm afraid
  • Options
    Imagine if an opposition player or manager did something like swing on a crossbar at an away ground to celebrate. 
  • Options
    Whatabouttery is so strong on this thread 
  • Options

Well the chips are really down at the moment.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Well the chips are really down at the moment.
    14 at last count!
  • Options
    It must have been something more than chips thrown from the covered end, as the ref pitch something up and put it in his pocket, so I can only presume it was a coin.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It must have been something more than chips thrown from the covered end, as the ref pitch something up and put it in his pocket, so I can only presume it was a coin.
    thieving bastard
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    when did we go all Millwall and start throwing stuff at opposition players? Not just once last night but twice. Utterly disgusted at such moronic behaviour. Hope the culprits are found and banned. 
    One camera angle showed the culprit launching the bottle from the covered end as clear as day
    As I understand it, every seat in the stadium is covered by at least one camera……some have more than one.
  • Options

Other items were thrown, I didn’t see the coin thrown but saw Morgan pointing to it on the field and the ref picking it up 
  • Options
    Pell could have run down to the JS stand and shook the hands of all 127 fans.
    Are you sure you weren't seeing double?
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Pell set out to deliberately wind up the home fans…..he knew exactly what he was doing and carried on pulling a good few other childish stunts for much of the game.
    He succeeded getting a silly little 13 year old getting thrown out and most likely banned.
    What an achievement!🙄
    He succeeded in winding up Charlton fans and players alike contributing to a toxic atmosphere that was always going to make it more difficult for us to get anything out of the game. This helped his side to their second win at The Valley this year. I'm not condoning it at all, but as you say he knew what he was doing and he wasn't doing it for no reason. 
  • Options
    Wrong but would happen at 90% of grounds in the same situation and will happen forever more in the same situation.
  • Options
    Not advocating for throwing stuff at opposition players, to be clear.

But what the fuck did the Accrington players expect, giving it the large to a set of fans they knew were already furious.  

Two sets of bellends here if you ask me.
    Some football fans are so precious. Love to give it out to the opposition and opposition fans all game, and the moment one of them ever comes and gives a little back they throw there toys (or Oasis bottles in this case) out the pram. 

It’s fine to be furious, and I’m all for ‘passion’, it’s part of being a football fan. But there’s literally zero excuse to throw some dangerous projectile out of a stand and at someone on the pitch. Zero.

Fortunately it’s very much the minority that ever do this.
    I’m with you, generally speaking.

What I am saying is Pell is a fuckin bellend as well, and whilst I’m fine with banning orders for fans throwing objects, I feel zero sympathy for Pell.
    Yeah he is, though as we know some part of it was to do with Accrington’s game plan. 

It’s classic though that you feel the same fans who would have lauded someone like Lyle Taylor being a shit bag to opposition fans like that, then can’t handle it when it’s done back to them.
    And if Lyle Taylor landed an oasis bottle on his head I’d say, well what the fuck do you expect, again.  
    Well it’s a sad state of affairs that we live in a world where a set of football fans who get celebrated in front of by an opposition player it’s not unexpected that they will throw an object at them that could cause quiet serious harm. 

Just remember the bloke jumping up and down in front of the covered end giving the fans the big one ain’t hurting anything apart from their egos.
    but...but.....what about the fan's mental health?

I'm with @BR7_addick on this. Yes...it is 100% wrong to throw things onto the pitch (obviously pigs, taxis, beachballs, programs excepted) - but if you celebrate like that in front of home fans then (unfortunately) you should expect the odd thing being chucked at you.

He knew what he was doing.
    If anything their behaviour fired us up as fans, and seemed to (eventually) fire the players up as well - once Washington was on at least. 
    Much as I hated Pell’s antics on the day I wouldn’t be unhappy if we signed him. As has been mentioned, there’s something of the Lyle Taylor about him, in terms of winding up the opposition players and fans. And it’d be handy to have someone who was a real threat from free kicks. 
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    It is scummy and unacceptable behaviour of course. However when did players start celebrating in front of opposition fans like that? Seems to be a regular thing for us now as soon as we concede. I can sort of understand it late on if our fans have been winding a player up all game that they want to rub our faces in it but this was less than 10 minutes in! Why would you provoke fans like that? And again, of course it’s not right, but what do players expect when they’re gloating in front of fans whose team are bottom of the league in a stadium with an already toxic atmosphere?
    All part of the game plan I'm afraid as demonstrated here by Harry Pell.  Teams know they can capitalise on the toxic atmosphere at Charlton and get the crowd to turn on their own side.

Sign him up.