Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Sunderland vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 23rd October 2021

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2021
    MattF said:
    Johnnie was Manager of the Week across all three Divisions

Do they still do "performance of the week" because surely winning away to a team that has 6 out of 6 at home must win it, especially when you are in the bottom 4 at the time.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    So we played 3-5-2 which can be 5-3-2 when defending and the wing back Leko or Purrington give you width when attacking.

Quite a gamble with Leko as only 24 hrs to work on that !

Will JJ go with that system at home against Doncaster ?

Just one "winger" who is playing wing back with defensive responsibilities.

How and where will JJ use DJ and Kirk in the future ?

This will be interesting and hopefully, the JJ was the defensive coach so he must go can be put to bed. The manager dictates the formations and then coaches remit is to drill that into the team. 

I said as we kicked off the season we wouldn't score from open play in August with Stockley isolated and Washington and DJ playing out wide in a 3 with a non scoring attacking midfielder in Morgan, even those I hoped Albie could kick on this season.
    We eventually scored from open play in the last game in August but the omens were there and bringing in 4 wingers when attacking full backs are more 2021.

Good teams defend from the front in closing down defenders when the opposition have the ball.

Bottle that spirit that Jackson imbued into the team yesterday.

Not forgetting CBT who I’d argue is a better impact sub when you’re behind. 
    Not that we’re likely to be behind from now on of course 🙂

Correct about CBT,  he has been impressive at times on the left and right. I just wonder if the politics of having DJ and Kirk on long contracts will effect his prospects of getting a new contract.

I think Blackett-Taylor could run riot in the last 30 minutes of games at the valley if we can play to the higher level of intensity shown on Saturday.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Bubble said:
    Jessie said:
    If Jacko gets the job permanently he'll be the most handsome manager we've ever had B)
    >Jessie said:
    >If Jacko gets the job permanently he'll be the most handsome manager we've ever had B

Hello?

He looks so cool in this photo - great suit.
    That photo was taken right after the second promotion, beginning our long spell in the top flight. 
    Had an amazing life - was quite ignorant about a lot of what he did until recently. It still blows my mind what people like him and my Granndather must have seen in WW1.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Bubble said:
    Jessie said:
    If Jacko gets the job permanently he'll be the most handsome manager we've ever had B)
    >Jessie said:
    >If Jacko gets the job permanently he'll be the most handsome manager we've ever had B

Hello?

That photo was taken right after the second promotion, beginning our long spell in the top flight. 
    Had an amazing life - was quite ignorant about a lot of what he did until recently. It still blows my mind what people like him and my Granndather must have seen in WW1.
    If you haven’t seen this before I’ve been on an extended fact finding mission: https://jamesseed.blogspot.com/2020/12/the-mystery-of-minnie-seed.html?m=1
    Next chapter is WW1, speaking of which, a recently discovered letter has thrown a little more light on his WW1 involvement. More from Clive soon. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    cabbles said:
    The thing I can’t get my head around is that was it so bad under NA the team had literally given up and didn’t want to play for him?  I understand the manager you work for has a massive impact on how you feel at work, for everyone, not just footballers, but was he really that bad to play under?  

Bit of a rhetorical question on my part, pondering, rather than asking, but it seems that within a couple of days there has been a massive facelift.  

As others have posted, players probably didn’t like playing in set ups that were confusing, and there were too many changes, but I find it crazy how it seems to have done a complete 180 in a matter of days.  I don’t believe it’s a new manager bounce.  I really think the players just weren’t feeling it 
    Watching the Accrington game on Tuesday, the players certainly looked like they were trying to me. How about when Washington busted a gut to get onto Gilbey’s long ball which led to Stockley’s goal? There was real commitment as they tried to get something from the game.

Maybe the issue isn’t that simple and has been due to a combination of factors - lack of a consistent team selection; uncertainty of job roles; the blend of players not being quite right; not playing to our strengths; rigidly sticking to a tactic that wasn’t working. Why play Stockley as lone striker and then complain when the players were lumping it forward to him?

Maybe they just didn’t really warm to Adkins - he was maybe a bit too “old school” - a bit like a teacher or ones dad - for this bunch of 20 and 30 somethings…
    Or maybe yesterday was a blip & we will revert to type next Saturday. Who knows, ......hopefully this IS the start of a recovery & by the end of November we are clear of the relegation places, but remember that 1 swallow doth not a summer make.
    I’d agree, only it wasn’t just effort that won the match for us, it was more about the changes in formation (352 with Leko as wingback, and two up top) that made the difference. Now none of us suggested that combination of changes as as a remedy for our ills, so JJ shows a real touch of class right from the off, for me. Had it just been about effort you’d expect to see the law of diminishing returns kicking in, and I don’t think we will. 🤞
    On the last 46 games we would have finished about 16th based on last season.  In that time we have played pretty much every formation in the book, and some that aren't.  The new manager bounce, in those 46 games, is what would have stopped us finishing in the bottom 4.

How many games do you give any caretaker manager?  I have no idea, if Adkins had been a caretaker most would have given him a very good, long, contract after 10 games.   Can you go into December without making a decision?

Do you need to make a decision?  Jackson manager until further notice?  His current deal runs until summer 2023.  
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Bubble said:
    Jessie said:
    >Jessie said:

Hello?

If you haven’t seen this before I’ve been on an extended fact finding mission: https://jamesseed.blogspot.com/2020/12/the-mystery-of-minnie-seed.html?m=1
    Next chapter is WW1, speaking of which, a recently discovered letter has thrown a little more light on his WW1 involvement. More from Clive soon. 
    Will have a read - looks interesting.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    JamesSeed said:
    cabbles said:
    The thing I can’t get my head around is that was it so bad under NA the team had literally given up and didn’t want to play for him?  I understand the manager you work for has a massive impact on how you feel at work, for everyone, not just footballers, but was he really that bad to play under?  

Bit of a rhetorical question on my part, pondering, rather than asking, but it seems that within a couple of days there has been a massive facelift.  

As others have posted, players probably didn’t like playing in set ups that were confusing, and there were too many changes, but I find it crazy how it seems to have done a complete 180 in a matter of days.  I don’t believe it’s a new manager bounce.  I really think the players just weren’t feeling it 
    Watching the Accrington game on Tuesday, the players certainly looked like they were trying to me. How about when Washington busted a gut to get onto Gilbey’s long ball which led to Stockley’s goal? There was real commitment as they tried to get something from the game.

Maybe the issue isn’t that simple and has been due to a combination of factors - lack of a consistent team selection; uncertainty of job roles; the blend of players not being quite right; not playing to our strengths; rigidly sticking to a tactic that wasn’t working. Why play Stockley as lone striker and then complain when the players were lumping it forward to him?

Maybe they just didn’t really warm to Adkins - he was maybe a bit too “old school” - a bit like a teacher or ones dad - for this bunch of 20 and 30 somethings…
    Or maybe yesterday was a blip & we will revert to type next Saturday. Who knows, ......hopefully this IS the start of a recovery & by the end of November we are clear of the relegation places, but remember that 1 swallow doth not a summer make.
    I’d agree, only it wasn’t just effort that won the match for us, it was more about the changes in formation (352 with Leko as wingback, and two up top) that made the difference. Now none of us suggested that combination of changes as as a remedy for our ills, so JJ shows a real touch of class right from the off, for me. Had it just been about effort you’d expect to see the law of diminishing returns kicking in, and I don’t think we will. 🤞
    On the last 46 games we would have finished about 16th based on last season.  In that time we have played pretty much every formation in the book, and some that aren't.  The new manager bounce, in those 46 games, is what would have stopped us finishing in the bottom 4.

How many games do you give any caretaker manager?  I have no idea, if Adkins had been a caretaker most would have given him a very good, long, contract after 10 games.   Can you go into December without making a decision?

Do you need to make a decision?  Jackson manager until further notice?  His current deal runs until summer 2023.  
    I think what you do when we go on a run which I think we will is you give it to him until the end of the season and set him a realistic target to get it full time. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The stone wall penalty for Pearce's handball looks to have hit his face too...

• Options
    edited October 2021
    They've never been this bad in their moaning/raging/unjust feelings....that's what the Essex tw&t has brought them. Similar to Bowyer, some managers will just make you an unliked Club from the tone and quality of their press conferences. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    JamesSeed said:
    cabbles said:

I think what you do when we go on a run which I think we will is you give it to him until the end of the season and set him a realistic target to get it full time. 
    I think 10 would be a reasonable number in that scenario.  I am burnt by the first 10 games of last season and the first 10 games under Adkins.  We showed automatic form in this 20 games, the other 26 we showed relegation form. It would be perfectly reasonable for Thomas to be as well.

Until further notice, under the current length of his contract sounds like a good compromise to me.  It also gives you the get out of bringing someone in above him and him returning to the ranks, if that's agreeable to all concerned. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Some interesting comments from Sunderland fans about Charlton fans:

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/charlton-fans.1562958/page-3#post-34821952

And now they want to buy Leko: https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/jonathan-leko.1562942/
  • Options
    Sir_Clive said:
    Chunes said:
    Lee Johnson is the biggest twat in League One and it makes today's victory all the sweeter. 
    I’ll take your Lee Johnson and raise you Steve Evans.
    OK, OK, it’s a draw. 
  • Options
    clive said:
    That looks remarkably like the one side and Sky highlights.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I wasn't surprised that JJ went with 3-5-2 which can become 5-3-2, depending on how the opposition play or the state of play.

But the surprise which no one predicted was Matthews playing RCB and Leko as a Right wing back !

Will be interesting to see if the same formation is used against Donny ?

Nigel Adkins was sounding hesitant and unsure with his comments this season and JJ said to the players it my way or the highway and it was mandatory to fight for the shirt and give 100% for Cafc and fans.

Jackson is still in his 30's who has been a winner on the field and isn't out of touch with modern coaching but knows that a certain mantra is still important and the black box world of stats will miss. 

No Battle, No Victory.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great togetherness at Sunderland, looks like we might just have our Charlton back again. That hand rake on Stockley deserved a shoulder barge or two, it was never a headbutt and their manager should be ashamed of himself for calling a 3 match ban for that. I think they call that sour grapes
  • Options
    Now I think about it, the formation reminded me a bit of when we played Fulham in the champ and used JFC at LWB, he had a great game that day! 
  • Options
    ...an Autumn leaf may have been turned mind ;)
  • Options
    Shame that none of the highlights I've seen (even the extended ones on Valley Pass) don't show the Purrington miss, although it was probably miss of the season so not one to boast about. Would love to see the 50/50 Dobson won just before half time too, that got as big of a roar than the actual goal!!
  • Options
    Shame that none of the highlights I've seen (even the extended ones on Valley Pass) don't show the Purrington miss, although it was probably miss of the season so not one to boast about. Would love to see the 50/50 Dobson won just before half time too, that got as big of a roar than the actual goal!!
    it's on this thread somewhere, a video filmed by a Sunderland fan.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    So we played 3-5-2 which can be 5-3-2 when defending and the wing back Leko or Purrington give you width when attacking.

Quite a gamble with Leko as only 24 hrs to work on that !

Will JJ go with that system at home against Doncaster ?

Just one "winger" who is playing wing back with defensive responsibilities.

How and where will JJ use DJ and Kirk in the future ?

This will be interesting and hopefully, the JJ was the defensive coach so he must go can be put to bed. The manager dictates the formations and then coaches remit is to drill that into the team. 

I said as we kicked off the season we wouldn't score from open play in August with Stockley isolated and Washington and DJ playing out wide in a 3 with a non scoring attacking midfielder in Morgan, even those I hoped Albie could kick on this season.
    We eventually scored from open play in the last game in August but the omens were there and bringing in 4 wingers when attacking full backs are more 2021.

Good teams defend from the front in closing down defenders when the opposition have the ball.

Bottle that spirit that Jackson imbued into the team yesterday.

Not forgetting CBT who I’d argue is a better impact sub when you’re behind. 
    Not that we’re likely to be behind from now on of course 🙂
    At the momeet Kirk can not be anywhere near the first team. His form has been non existent since he arrived here.

A spell out of the limelight when the management can deal with whatever his issues are, personal or football related, would be the best thing. He could be used in the FA game and the Football league trophy might be appropriate, given there will be nobody at either (except me).