Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Sunderland vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 23rd October 2021

Comments

• Options
    I hope they review the whole incident and what went on before the barge. Two 6ft+ lads are at it all game and enjoying a tussle. A 4ft "lad" wants to see punishment and is inventing abuse that didn't happen.

Grow up - remember Pearce and Mitrovic.
  • Options
    If that qualifies as a headbutt then what next? 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    At worst, I would say that the ‘evidence’ is inconclusive. Sounds like the bandwagon to get Stockley banned is on a roll, and I would suggest that the referee’s report will be key.
    The good news is Davison, while not being as good in the air, is a ready made replacement who will cause defenders a different bunch of problems, especially if he gets to play with a strike partner, something he hasn't had the benefit of so far this season, I think?
  • Options
    Was there not an incident where a player punches one of their players off the ball earlier in the season?
    Maybe the EFL should investigate what is going on off the ball that enrages opponents to behave out of character?
    Tom Flanagan already has six yellows this season. That seems a very high number to get before the end of October and from a team near the top of the league.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    I mean if anything that video just shows even more that it’s a shoulder barge. 
    I mean, even accounting for bias as a Charlton fan I can't see any point his head actually contacts the Sunderland guy. Yes he definitely does barge him out of the way but that's not illegal in itself. 
    I dunno about that mate, on the slow mo I think it does show his head connect with his face, which is assumedly what caused the blood in his mouth.
    For me I always look at the reaction of the other player. He didn't clutch his head and there was no apparent injury. Also, wouldn't he have gone berserk at Stockley along with his team mates if that was a clear headbutt?     
    Or at very least gone to the ref?
  • Options
    Looking at that video clip of 2 seconds, it looks like Stockley was anticipating a shoulder barge from Flanagan, and was getting himself positioned to defend himself...hot air from some desperate Sunderland fans trying to lessen the impact of their adversary again getting the better of them, if that is the only "evidence" then it proves nothing more than two people jostling for position, get over yourselves.. you lost ok.. B)  
  • Options
    that short video makes it looks worse than I believe it actually was.
  • Options
    It always looks worse in slow mo but the fact is Stockley made connection with his head (intentionally or not) and another appointment, causing them to bleed. 

Can’t see anything but a 3 game ban. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It never even got mentioned on the 90 minute highlights did it?
  • Options
    Seems to me that with one camera angle it can't result in anything.
  • Options
    I think its a bit of both. Shoulder definitely is the biggest impact but it looks like his head does clip his mouth area. Stocley even bows his head. Could easily see the FA looking at that with a ban in mind.
  • Options
    KHA said:
    Shame that none of the highlights I've seen (even the extended ones on Valley Pass) don't show the Purrington miss, although it was probably miss of the season so not one to boast about. Would love to see the 50/50 Dobson won just before half time too, that got as big of a roar than the actual goal!!
    You can watch the whole match for free here:
    https://safc.com/news/team-news/2021/october/charlton-athletic/full-90-vs-charlton

just finished watching. Was particularly impressed with Dobson, Gilbey and Leko although it's unfair to single anyone out. Famewo also had his best game for ages. Leko's willingness and get back and defend when required was impressive, and he had their fullback on toast a few times. It was quite a frenetic game and very end to end without too many chances being created. I don't think the ref had too bad a game and can't see he was particularly in our favour. Johnson is just a whining little midget who needs to get over it.
  • Options
    Middle of Tuesday and not a peep from the EFL or FA, refs report would have gone in yesterday. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Some interesting comments from Sunderland fans about Charlton fans:

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/charlton-fans.1562958/page-3#post-34821952

And now they want to buy Leko: https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/jonathan-leko.1562942/
    Quite funny that in the Leko thread they say how much they need a midfield destroyer, given that one of the best players on the day was George Dobson. He's got a lot on this season to prove he's capable of doing the job but I'm sure a few of them were rueing letting him go on Saturday.
  • Options
    What I would do to make something look worse, is slow it down, and then turn a couple of hundred frames a second into 5 or 6 to make them fit in a gif. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Stockley is a proper slabhead. If he headbutts you, surely you're going down.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    How Washington does not get booked for wiping out the Sunderland player after 10 seconds I do not know.
    It looked like Washington said to Stockley, 'you take the knee after the whistle blows to distract the ref and I'll take out the oppo'
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Also, MacGillvray got lucky with a few of his punched saves not dropping to Sunderland players or them not hitting the rebound cleanly. Why can't he catch the ball?
  • Options
    They are proper gunning for this, aren’t they?!
    Weird in the extreme. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    If Sunderland make this much fuss over an imagined incident, I fear for them when Accrington produce every dirty trick in the book.
    And Oxford…Gobbo and Jonno will be rolling around wrestling on the touch line..
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Stockley is a proper slabhead. If he headbutts you, surely you're going down.
    Dead right,not one Sunderland player made a protest,why has Flanagan not told his boss to leave it,nothing happened.