Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Sunderland vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 23rd October 2021

Comments

• Options
    Would have been interesting to see the comments if we got pumped considering JJ played a striker/winger at RWB…
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Sometimes you can be a flop at one place, but move on to be a legend elsewhere.

Who is he?
    Seriously? Bob Stokoe managed us went on to manage Sunderland  to a surprise FA Cup final win over the all conquering Leeds Utd of the 60s & 70s. The Mackems keeper Jim Montgomery made a Banksesque worldly save to clinch victory.

Here you go; https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PZmFoo4payA
    Yep, seriously but this was long before I was born.

I’ve heard of him but didn’t link him and the statue until your explanation. 

First fa cup memory, Coventry beating spurs
    Ah that explains it, you’ll be about the same age as my son.He probably wouldn’t have recognised Stokoe either. To be fair I wouldn’t have recognised Jimmy Seed from the photo that his Grandson posted yesterday 😉.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:

Who is he?
    Seriously? Bob Stokoe managed us went on to manage Sunderland  to a surprise FA Cup final win over the all conquering Leeds Utd of the 60s & 70s. The Mackems keeper Jim Montgomery made a Banksesque worldly save to clinch victory.

Ah that explains it, you’ll be about the same age as my son.He probably wouldn’t have recognised Stokoe either. To be fair I wouldn’t have recognised Jimmy Seed from the photo that his Grandson posted yesterday 😉.
    First FA Cup memory would be a good thread in its own right.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Kips said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:

Who is he?

First FA Cup memory would be a good thread in its own right.
    Man Utd v Bolton 0-2, 1958 Lofthouse scoring by shoulder barging United’s keeper Harry Gregg into his net 😉
  • Options
    Don’t mean to derail the thread, and I hope I’m remembering this correctly, but didn’t Stokoe break Brian Clough’s leg?
  • Options
    Sunderland are a well supported club but the statue of bob stokoe and the giant killing of Leeds makes them seem smaller than they are   
  • Options
    Is there anybody who doesn't think Lee Johnson is an odious little pipsqueak?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is there anybody who doesn't think Lee Johnson is an odious little pipsqueak?
    he makes Sunderland seem smaller than than they are as well 
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Safe to say that wasn't better than sex for Lee Johnson 

Is Lee Johnsons interview available to see/hear anywhere ?
    I can't link directly to it, but you can see the Quest Highlights show here:
    https://www.discoveryplus.co.uk/show/efl-on-quest
    The Sunderland match "highlights" begin at about 45 mins on the 23/10/21 episode (including a brief cameo from Olly as Jacko gets off the coach), the interviews start just before 47 mins, and the studio discussion is at 52m30
    If you've got a Valley Pass subscription, there's 9 minutes of highlights available on there, plus Jacko's post match interview, but Dobson's isn't up yet.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    So we played 3-5-2 which can be 5-3-2 when defending and the wing back Leko or Purrington give you width when attacking.

Quite a gamble with Leko as only 24 hrs to work on that !

Will JJ go with that system at home against Doncaster ?

Just one "winger" who is playing wing back with defensive responsibilities.

How and where will JJ use DJ and Kirk in the future ?

This will be interesting and hopefully, the JJ was the defensive coach so he must go can be put to bed. The manager dictates the formations and then coaches remit is to drill that into the team. 

I said as we kicked off the season we wouldn't score from open play in August with Stockley isolated and Washington and DJ playing out wide in a 3 with a non scoring attacking midfielder in Morgan, even those I hoped Albie could kick on this season.
    We eventually scored from open play in the last game in August but the omens were there and bringing in 4 wingers when attacking full backs are more 2021.

Good teams defend from the front in closing down defenders when the opposition have the ball.

Bottle that spirit that Jackson imbued into the team yesterday.

Not forgetting CBT who I’d argue is a better impact sub when you’re behind. 
    Not that we’re likely to be behind from now on of course 🙂
  • Options
    Nadou said:
    ct_addick said:
    LouisMend said:
    I do not have an English degree only an O level but good lord the spelling mistakes in that piece....doesn't anyone proof read this stuff before posting
    It’s recorded speech and we don’t speak as we would when committing to the written page. Thinking grammar rules are logical is a myth and it’s only the influence of the “superior” upper classes of the last two centuries that created the concept of grammar having to reflect classical Latin syntax.
    Should be a comma after myth.
    Never put a comma before a conjunction.
    That used to be the case, but not any more. 
    (See what I did there?) 👍
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Nadou said:
    ct_addick said:
    LouisMend said:
    I do not have an English degree only an O level but good lord the spelling mistakes in that piece....doesn't anyone proof read this stuff before posting
    It’s recorded speech and we don’t speak as we would when committing to the written page. Thinking grammar rules are logical is a myth and it’s only the influence of the “superior” upper classes of the last two centuries that created the concept of grammar having to reflect classical Latin syntax.
    Should be a comma after myth.
    Never put a comma before a conjunction.
    That used to be the case, but not any more. 
    (See what I did there?) 👍
    And don’t start start a sentence with “And”…
  • Options
    The difference for me was Washington partnering stockley opposed to Adkins one Man up front on his own or 3 men isolated on each wing and in the middle. Washington running beyond stockley gives there defenders something to think about we didn’t see the ball just coming back from our attacks. 
    I would say that’s the most possession we’ve had in the oppositions final third all season.  
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:

Who is he?

I recognise dowie, he was an actor in the 80’s who helped some kids find treasure
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    MattF said:
    Safe to say that wasn't better than sex for Lee Johnson 

Is Lee Johnsons interview available to see/hear anywhere ?
    I can't link directly to it, but you can see the Quest Highlights show here:
    https://www.discoveryplus.co.uk/show/efl-on-quest
    The Sunderland match "highlights" begin at about 45 mins on the 23/10/21 episode (including a brief cameo from Olly as Jacko gets off the coach), the interviews start just before 47 mins, and the studio discussion is at 52m30
    If you've got a Valley Pass subscription, there's 9 minutes of highlights available on there, plus Jacko's post match interview, but Dobson's isn't up yet.
    Clinton Morrison thinks Stockley couldve been sent off for the 'headbutt' and that they shouldve had a penalty. Ok Clinton,ok. Top pundit......
  • Options
    Glad to see Leko working back so well,always difficult to compare the top players to our level,but the first thing Jacko should do to our wingers,is show them a video of Mo Salah yesteday,this guy is now 29,done everything, and is now the worlds best,even when 4-5 nil up he was still running his bollocks off helping out the full back,if players of this calibre can do it,Kirk,Jd,Blackett Taylor should follow the exmple.
    With regards the head butt,if the player who was supposedly attacked was any sort of man,he would go to Johnson and tell him the truth.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm still surprised the pundits have missed the defender trying to scratch (or stab if you are LJ) Stockley's back off!
  • Options
    The vertically challenged one owes Stockley an apology, at the very least.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    We've heard of the philosophy, identity, pathway bla bla bla. Under Adkins we never started a game outside of 433/ 4231, it may have been a preference from the club, it may have been Nigel stubbornness.

We'll probably never know for sure, but, today we saw a different formation and players playing to clear instructions, if JJ is allowed to do what he wants and it works. Long may it continue.

Unbelievable result.

I think we do know for sure. Adkins has played the 4231 for his entire career. That's his system and we knew he would play that here. The idea that he's been made to play it by Ged and the heirarchy, even when it wasn't working, is for the birds. 

Except in league one where he mainly played 442 with a hint of 352.

No one has said he's been made to play it, there's probably a preference with the "identity" and one club philosophy, such things have been spoken of so it ain't exactly tin foil hat territory.

@Cafc43v3r has pretty much covered how and why such set up might exist. No one's saying that footballs anti Christ Adkins was a poor fool hung out to dry by evil genius Ged Roddy. It's an interesting point to raise and consider, mainly to see if mistakes have been learned from - if there was to begin with.

It's just as believable as all the other bollocks passed off as fact around here. 
  • Options
    I remember Adkins making a weird decision in maybe his 2nd game last season. Millar was ripping up the opposition defence on the left (maybe the game Washington got a hammie). He was then moved from LM to a forward where he was completely anonymous. In fact, it was the same move that was used for Kirk when Lee was withdrawn recently.
  • Options
    The vertically challenged one owes Stockley an apology, at the very least.
    Josh Davison must be in two minds this morning and keeping a close eye on proceedings!
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    The thing I can’t get my head around is that was it so bad under NA the team had literally given up and didn’t want to play for him?  I understand the manager you work for has a massive impact on how you feel at work, for everyone, not just footballers, but was he really that bad to play under?  

Bit of a rhetorical question on my part, pondering, rather than asking, but it seems that within a couple of days there has been a massive facelift.  

As others have posted, players probably didn’t like playing in set ups that were confusing, and there were too many changes, but I find it crazy how it seems to have done a complete 180 in a matter of days.  I don’t believe it’s a new manager bounce.  I really think the players just weren’t feeling it 
    Watching the Accrington game on Tuesday, the players certainly looked like they were trying to me. How about when Washington busted a gut to get onto Gilbey’s long ball which led to Stockley’s goal? There was real commitment as they tried to get something from the game.

Maybe the issue isn’t that simple and has been due to a combination of factors - lack of a consistent team selection; uncertainty of job roles; the blend of players not being quite right; not playing to our strengths; rigidly sticking to a tactic that wasn’t working. Why play Stockley as lone striker and then complain when the players were lumping it forward to him?

Maybe they just didn’t really warm to Adkins - he was maybe a bit too “old school” - a bit like a teacher or ones dad - for this bunch of 20 and 30 somethings…
    Or maybe yesterday was a blip & we will revert to type next Saturday. Who knows, ......hopefully this IS the start of a recovery & by the end of November we are clear of the relegation places, but remember that 1 swallow doth not a summer make.
    I’d agree, only it wasn’t just effort that won the match for us, it was more about the changes in formation (352 with Leko as wingback, and two up top) that made the difference. Now none of us suggested that combination of changes as as a remedy for our ills, so JJ shows a real touch of class right from the off, for me. Had it just been about effort you’d expect to see the law of diminishing returns kicking in, and I don’t think we will. 🤞
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    JamesSeed said:
    Bubble said:
    Jessie said:
    If Jacko gets the job permanently he'll be the most handsome manager we've ever had B)
    >Jessie said:
    >If Jacko gets the job permanently he'll be the most handsome manager we've ever had B

Hello?

He looks so cool in this photo - great suit.
    It didn’t look so cool twenty years later. Lol. 
    That photo was taken right after the second promotion, beginning our long spell in the top flight.