Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Sunderland vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 23rd October 2021

Comments

• Options
    0%      Top 2
    5%    Play offs 
    35%    7th-12th
    57%    13th-20th
    3%  The big R 

• Options
    Nailed on win from the start. Everyone in my local had money on us. Most of us got 5 to 1. Well in lads   Let’s push on now.  
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    We've heard of the philosophy, identity, pathway bla bla bla. Under Adkins we never started a game outside of 433/ 4231, it may have been a preference from the club, it may have been Nigel stubbornness.

We'll probably never know for sure, but, today we saw a different formation and players playing to clear instructions, if JJ is allowed to do what he wants and it works. Long may it continue.

Unbelievable result.

I think we do know for sure. Adkins has played the 4231 for his entire career. That's his system and we knew he would play that here. The idea that he's been made to play it by Ged and the heirarchy, even when it wasn't working, is for the birds. 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    aliwibble said:
    Not a bad day…….Actually the bet was placed on behalf of my Sunderland supporting mate who feared the worst. At the final whistle he sent me a message ‘never in doubt’.

250 QUID??? Fucking hell your mate has got more money than sense.
    And now he’s got even more money 😁.
    Maybe I’m a bit naïve when it comes to gambling, but my initial reaction was that your mate might have a gambling problem. Seriously.

Maybe everyone else thinks this is a normal amount to punt on an unlikely away win, but it surprises me. Apologies if speaking out of turn.
    Conversely it may of course be that's what he can afford to spend and how he chooses to spend it.

I certainly agree with your last paragraph but for example  Mrs Kips thinks I'm mad to waste the amount of my pocket money I do on watching charlton. You and me Lord R would disagree with her on that I'm sure,  but either way I can afford it and it's my choice.

All I would add is that whilst I don't know Dickie Plumb, I'm hopeful that he is a good enough mate not to be putting that sort of bet on for someone with a gambling problem or outright addiction. The losses always outweigh the wins in those cases I would suggest.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Chunes said:
    We've heard of the philosophy, identity, pathway bla bla bla. Under Adkins we never started a game outside of 433/ 4231, it may have been a preference from the club, it may have been Nigel stubbornness.

We'll probably never know for sure, but, today we saw a different formation and players playing to clear instructions, if JJ is allowed to do what he wants and it works. Long may it continue.

Unbelievable result.

I think we do know for sure. Adkins has played the 4231 for his entire career. That's his system and we knew he would play that here. The idea that he's been made to play it by Ged and the heirarchy, even when it wasn't working, is for the birds. 
    Adkins hasn't played 4231 for his entire career...... 
  • Options
    Kips said:
    RedChaser said:
    aliwibble said:
    Not a bad day…….Actually the bet was placed on behalf of my Sunderland supporting mate who feared the worst. At the final whistle he sent me a message ‘never in doubt’.

Maybe I’m a bit naïve when it comes to gambling, but my initial reaction was that your mate might have a gambling problem. Seriously.

Maybe everyone else thinks this is a normal amount to punt on an unlikely away win, but it surprises me. Apologies if speaking out of turn.
    Conversely it may of course be that's what he can afford to spend and how he chooses to spend it.

I certainly agree with your last paragraph but for example  Mrs Kips thinks I'm mad to waste the amount of my pocket money I do on watching charlton. You and me Lord R would disagree with her on that I'm sure,  but either way I can afford it and it's my choice.

All I would add is that whilst I don't know Dickie Plumb, I'm hopeful that he is a good enough mate not to be putting that sort of bet on for someone with a gambling problem or outright addiction. The losses always outweigh the wins in those cases I would suggest.

Quite right.
    I don’t know the chap and you’re right, his circumstances may mean he’s able to enjoy his gambling free from addiction or other negatives. I certainly hope so. 
    I was just pointing out that it was my initial reaction. No intention of being preachy or judgemental. Hence the apology in case of barking up the wrong tree.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2021
    God Sunderland must really hate us..... :D  :D  

We were really up for it and Jacko got them rigged out well and prepared in such a short time, there was nothing lucky or undeserved in that victory, everyone of the lads did us proud.
    And so good to see Jayden getting stuck in, even though he was being pulled and pushed all over the place, and a great well taken goal, George seemed to enjoy his return to his old stomping ground,..i could eulogise about them all, but just a collective well done one and all, on to Doncaster next Saturday... B)

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    aliwibble said:

All true but he hasn’t got it yet - still sitting in my account. 
    £250 booking fee.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    I’ll just leave this here……
    And this looks like he's about to launch into a rendition of "I'm a little teapot" any second.
    Or.
    🎼 I’m only a tiny chimney sweep but I’ve got an enormous brush.🎼
  • Options
    How long will Lavelle be out? 
  • Options
    So what would be the procedure now regarding the "head butt",would the FA look into it on the basis of a complaint from Sunderland.Personally,it looked close ,but,the Sunderland player showed no reaction at all,,surely the slightest sign of a head butt and he would have gone down,and the crowd would be calling for blood.
    What a difference a few days make,pretty sure I was not alone leaving the ground on tuesday,totally distraught and not wanting to go back any time soon.Now cant wait for saturday.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

Unbelievable result.

Adkins hasn't played 4231 for his entire career...... 
    Ok. Overstatement. It's his preferred formation and it's what we knew he would play coming through the door. Obviously he has not played it every single game in his career, he's been a manager for a long time and the game has changed over that period. Plus he played 352 twice with us. (Again proving he wasn't being told what tactics to play). But it is a conspiracy theory.
  • Options
    Loved watching that, it felt nice to actually enjoy seeing us play.

I have to bow my head to most of you on here, I watched the game on stream and had no clue what formation we were playing! It seemed like we had bodies everywhere. I was just buzzing it worked and it was so great to see some actual fight again. 

Good to have a foundation to build on and we have to follow it up now. Thought Dobson was great and glad he was able to take his chance and stick two fingers up to Johnson. 
  • Options
    Watching the "highlights" and reading the match thread I think that anyone who thought they were watching Charlton must have been at a different game.
    All the "highlights" showed was Sunderland attacking non-stop and that we managed about one attack and luckily managed to score.
    Strange really as the match stats tell a different story.
    The most biased highlights I’ve ever seen. I’m still
    in Sunderland and my mackem mate begrudgingly just watched them me and completely agrees. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    aliwibble said:

Well he’s not my mate it was DICKIE PLUMB’s mate so no apology necessary and I get your drift.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Nailed on win from the start. Everyone in my local had money on us. Most of us got 5 to 1. Well in lads   Let’s push on now.  
    5-1 ? We were 13-1 on Betfair at one stage 
  • Options
    How long will Lavelle be out? 
    According to JJ post match interview won’t know until a scan is done on Monday.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    So we played 3-5-2 which can be 5-3-2 when defending and the wing back Leko or Purrington give you width when attacking.

Quite a gamble with Leko as only 24 hrs to work on that !

Will JJ go with that system at home against Doncaster ?

Just one "winger" who is playing wing back with defensive responsibilities.

How and where will JJ use DJ and Kirk in the future ?

This will be interesting and hopefully, the JJ was the defensive coach so he must go can be put to bed. The manager dictates the formations and then coaches remit is to drill that into the team. 

I said as we kicked off the season we wouldn't score from open play in August with Stockley isolated and Washington and DJ playing out wide in a 3 with a non scoring attacking midfielder in Morgan, even those I hoped Albie could kick on this season.
    We eventually scored from open play in the last game in August but the omens were there and bringing in 4 wingers when attacking full backs are more 2021.

Good teams defend from the front in closing down defenders when the opposition have the ball.

Bottle that spirit that Jackson imbued into the team yesterday.

• Options
    Morrison on Quest saying it was a pen on the Pearce block. Happened so fast, I couldn’t tell. Should it have been a pen?
    The quest coverage was a joke. All about Sunderland and zero credit to Charlton.
    I don't mind that they didn't reflect the game with the highlights. With Purrington's chance being the chance of the match. That is fine, but highlighting the supposed headbutt was very poor. It was only a talking point because a bad loser manager sought to make it one. They should have pointed the finger at him and laughed.
  • Options
    Can someone post the Dobson interview from yesterday? Can’t seem to find it anywhere..
  • Options
    Worth noting that few players said on twitter that that was the "standard" and that they have to maintain it.

Wonder if that's something that Jackson/Euell have been telling them a lot. Drawing a new line under everything and setting a new standard going forward.